Persona 4: Released and Ready 2 Play! Metacritic Score -- A Whoppin' 93!!!

[quote name='keithp']I'll prolly pick P4 up soon--so is it pretty universally accepted that P4 whoops P3's butt?[/quote]

I liked P4 more than P3 but I wouldn't say it kicked it's butt, I loved them both. P4 is still fresh in my mind so maybe I'm not thinking objectivly.

The great thing is that they are clearly diffrent games. I think this is a important, if P4 was an exact copy paste it would feel cheap. Efforts where made to make the gameplay a little diffrent wheather you like them or not.

I'm surprised that there are so many people that like the P4 gameplay better. I think to some degree you're getting the overall gameplay and the ability to control your party mixed. While the latter is definitely a gameplay element (and improvement), many other parts of the battle system were tweaked (for the worse, IMO).

It's too hard to sneak up on the shadows. First strike seems largely random until you've leveled up beyond the shadow you are attacking. The camera through the dungeons is much more difficult to work with.

As for the battle system itself, it was too easy to manipulate - especially since you could do a second attack if you hit one weakness, regardless of how the other characters/shadows reacted to the attack.

I am in agreement with magus, however, I'd love to see a hybrid of the two.

[quote name='thelonepig']
As for the battle system itself, it was too easy to manipulate - especially since you could do a second attack if you hit one weakness, regardless of how the other characters/shadows reacted to the attack.[/quote]

Yeah but the same goes for when they attack your party.

Oh wait -- I find that incredibly annoying and not "strategic" at all. Yeah, that change was for the worse.

Wtf...
Naoto's a chick?!?
That caught me off guard a little bit... but I would have probably figured as much if I paid more attention to the dialogue. :whistle2:#

[quote name='Vegan']Yeah but the same goes for when they attack your party.

Oh wait -- I find that incredibly annoying and not "strategic" at all. Yeah, that change was for the worse.[/quote]

Overall I think P3 bests P4 in terms of battle system and in-game control.

I think some of the tweaks in P4 are great (party control) and some suck (new guard/weakness rules, new horrible dungeon camera).

Still a fun game, even if it's not as polished as P3.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Wtf...
Naoto's a chick?!?
That caught me off guard a little bit... but I would have probably figured as much if I paid more attention to the dialogue. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]
It's supposed to catch you off guard.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Wtf...
Naoto's a chick?!?
That caught me off guard a little bit... but I would have probably figured as much if I paid more attention to the dialogue. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

It didn't caught me off guard at all. They did a horrible job concealing the voice.

Speaking of Naoto
I liked the part where they go to the doctor's office and Rise is looking at Naoto's stats...where does she hide em??

[quote name='bigl523']Speaking of Naoto
I liked the part where they go to the doctor's office and Rise is looking at Naoto's stats...where does she hide em??
[/quote]

Probably pulling a Hilary Swank from Boys Don't Cry. I wonder if Naoto wears anything other then the boy's school uniform later on in the game...

I just picked this up. After watching the Endurance Runs on Giant Bomb, the Amazon deal pushed me over the edge.

I still have not played Persona 3 even though I own it, so hopefully Persona 4 does not spoil me.

[quote name='Razzuel']
I still have not played Persona 3 even though I own it, so hopefully Persona 4 does not spoil me.[/quote]

There's a short cameo of a character from P3 but you won't notice it anyway ;).

I finished the game yesterday after 87+ hours of gameplay. All the endings were
sad in a way, especially the bad one. It might just be wishful thinking but I'd love to see a FFX2-esque sequel. Perhaps the MC comes back to Inaba after several years to see that the fog has come back in the TV world or some shit like that.

Now I need to find a new RPG to preoccupy myself... any suggestions? :)

Glad to see you picked it up, hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I miss playing this game, it was my 08' GOTY. I'm thinking about going back and playin P3 again. But Star Ocean is coming out in a week. I can't play 2 RPGs at once.

That field trip was one of my favorite parts of the game. I only wish they would have met more of Persona 3's cast then just those few.

Damn, I'm RIGHT at the end (last boss) and now I have to go out of town tomorrow until Monday. This is going to be a painful wait.

Just finished Secret Laboratory in one trip. Was it just me or were the bosses their some of the easiest in the entire game? The boss was hitting my weakness and doing like 120 damage, it was kinda a joke.

I just picked this up in the Amazon Gold Box this week, and... wow.. I haven't even touched another game since I put it in. I'm kind of ashamed as an RPG fan that this is my first time playing this series. I'm definitely going to go back and at least play P3 now.

Okay, I'm sure this is a dumb question and I'm sorry if it's been discussed before but even after reading gamefaqs I still need a bit of an explanation...

How exactly does the weather system in P4 work in regards to saving people trapped in the tv world? I guess on a foggy day they get killed off unless you save them in time, but I still don't get when that is. I read that it's after a rainy day, usually two weeks, but I look at my weather forecast and it looks like there's a couple of rainy days on there. Is it all based on chance that it may or may not fog up after a day of rain, or are you always guaranteed two weeks before the fog sets in?

Perhaps someone can also advise me on how to approach the game pacing-wise. When the raven-haired girl goes missing I tried to clear out that dungeon immediately because I was under the impression you had to do it ASAP since the characters considered it an urgent issue, but I just get my ass handed to me by the bosses so I'm guessing you gotta spend some time boosting your levels. Can someone suggest a good balance of time I should be dedicating to dungeon hacking and how much I should be working on school life stuff each week?

I'm sure someone already answered this question before ^^, but do you need to have played a persona game before (1-3) to fully enjoy persona 4?

it looks like an awesome game but I don't have time for so many rpgs ^^

^ No you don't. They do have a cameo in P4 of a minor NPC character from P3, but the stories & characters are completly seperate.

[quote name='Rodimus']^ No you don't. They do have a cameo in P4 of a minor NPC character from P3, but the stories & characters are completly seperate.[/quote]

awesome ;)
thanks for the quick reply!

[quote name='bigl523']Finally about to start the final true dungeon. Hopefully I won't have to do tooooo much grinding.[/quote]

Ditto. Love the game, but I'd kind of like to just wrap up the ending, and not have some ridiculously difficult fight to go through.

Part of my grinding is going to involve getting all the persona that I can. Unfortunately I was unable to max out moon, hanged man, and strength :(

Any tips on power leveling the MC and persona's? I'm level 82 at the last dungeon and I'm only getting like 1000 exp from battles on the 8th floor. Help!

[quote name='bigl523']Any tips on power leveling the MC and persona's? I'm level 82 at the last dungeon and I'm only getting like 1000 exp from battles on the 8th floor. Help![/quote]

None whatsoever. You're overleveled. Go beat the game already. :D

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Just got my copy with the art book in the mail today from Amazon.[/quote]

Enjoy! I got it from the DotD as well, best 26 bucks I've ever spent. I can already tell I'm going to play this game through at least a few times.

[quote name='bvharris']Enjoy! I got it from the DotD as well, best 26 bucks I've ever spent. I can already tell I'm going to play this game through at least a few times.[/quote]

Christ, where are you going to find the free time?

[quote name='Vegan']Christ, where are you going to find the free time?[/quote]

I'm not saying I'm going to do it immediately. :lol:

I've played FFVI through probably 20-25 times, and that's over 15 years. Right now I'm feeling the same way about P4.

I just want to recommend everyone check out giantbomb's video series playing persona 4. They have 25 videos so far (each between 15 and 50 minutes - mainly about 20), going through the end of the first dungeon. It's just them playing the game and talking (neither of them have played it before). I find it quite entertaining, and it's interesting to watch how other people approach their RPGs. You'll find all of them if you click the endurance run link on their videos page.

I'm hoping they do it with Nocturne next because I never finished that and had no idea what was going on (of course at this pace, releasing a 20 min video every day, Persona 4 will take them most of the year)

Just finished up the
dungeon where you rescue Nanako. Final boss killed me once, mainly because i had buffed my party members attack right before he took all 3 of them over LOL. 2nd time i raped him hard. Wish i had more time to really spend on the games, think i put in around 55 hours so far.

i'm actually thinking i might complete this game, since the story is pretty interesting and i'm not a big fan of random battles. compared to nocturne, which was pretty hard and less forgiving in the battle system. plus, the story in nocturne was kinda blah (played for about 30 hours i think), personas a little harder to collect, and funky mazes. eh, i do still kinda like nocturne though don't get me wrong.

The real ending isn't that different, actually. It's what's in between that's interesting, and totally changes things. I feel bad for anyone who plays not knowing that there's so much more content at the end that can be easily missed.

is there any way to check the main character's stat level (e.g. on expression, courage, diligence, understanding, knowledge?) there probably isn't but just curious.

[quote name='bigl523']There is! Go to the status menu and look at the MC and it will show you his stats.[/quote]

Imagine that.

funny, i never even pressed that status button on the main menu...only a few times. haha. anyways, i got the true ending today after getting the bad ending (and going WTF?!?!), so the P4 game is pretty cool... i started Persona 3 awhile back but was kind of turned off by all the dark brooding atmosphere and only got an hour into it. So...gonna try it out again. Anyone else here think P4 is better than P3?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure you got the true ending and not the normal ending? The true ending involves tackling another dungeon after meeting up with all the people you maxed out social links with.

P3 and P4 are definitely different games. Pretty much P3 is more epic from what I hear and P4 is lighthearted.

yah, i did....the P4 bad ending was pretty horrible and dark. in the true ending i went through that extra dungeon and fighting that last BIG boss. just started P3 again and kinda liking it so far (although the graphics are better in P4)... one thing i liked in P3 is that once you enter your dorm building, you can sort of go in and out without the game advancing to the next day. i guess i gotta give the game time to enjoy it more.

I really think Persona 4 is the better game, mainly because of the improvements in design over Persona 3 (having control of your characters, knowing what each spell actually does, having Guard command, the more variety in the dungeons, being able to switch locations just by pressing square, among others). The voiceacting is a lot better in P4 too, I thought.

I just started P4 (on April 20) and I have a question about flow of events/time. In P3, you could spend your anfternoon doing a Social Link and still dungeon crawl later. It seems like in P4 you have to either do an S Link OR go into the TV, but then your evening is free (although I'm not sure what I can use that time for besides studying anyway). Is that true? Or can I somehow do an S Link and go into the TV on the same day?

[quote name='Backlash']I just started P4 (on April 20) and I have a question about flow of events/time. In P3, you could spend your anfternoon doing a Social Link and still dungeon crawl later. It seems like in P4 you have to either do an S Link OR go into the TV, but then your evening is free (although I'm not sure what I can use that time for besides studying anyway). Is that true? Or can I somehow do an S Link and go into the TV on the same day?[/QUOTE]

No, you have it right. You have to make the choice.

bread's done
Back