Persona 4: Released and Ready 2 Play! Metacritic Score -- A Whoppin' 93!!!

I started the game last night! Played a couple hours in, haven't really gotten much control over the character yet. I burned out hard on P3, I can't believe I feel ready to do this again, so soon.

[quote name='zewone']I don't think anyone is a fan of how easy it is to get the bad ending.

You pretty much need a guide, unless you want to spend lots of time doing trial and error.[/QUOTE]
I dunno, I thought most of the answers were logical, except the last one. Of course, the last one was the one I got wrong.

Went up against the true ending boss for the first time and everything went smoothly, until it cast Megidoloan... I hadn't had any problems the first five or so times it was cast, but for some reason this time it took nearly 700 HP off my MC, about 200 off Teddy, and the other two dodged it. Everyone was at full health, but even so, MC died.

I'll have to try again later.

[quote name='thelonepig']Went up against the true ending boss for the first time and everything went smoothly, until it cast Megidoloan... I hadn't had any problems the first five or so times it was cast, but for some reason this time it took nearly 700 HP off my MC, about 200 off Teddy, and the other two dodged it. Everyone was at full health, but even so, MC died.

I'll have to try again later.[/QUOTE]

Did it cast energy charge? Everytime it does that, you have to guard. I didn't die once against the True ending boss, was actually pretty easy.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Did it cast energy charge? Everytime it does that, you have to guard. I didn't die once against the True ending boss, was actually pretty easy.[/quote]

No mind charge. It was absolutely bizarre. I even had the same Persona (Metatron) equipped as I did when it was taking off 200 - 250. This also occurred right after
I dropped her to 0 HP and she wouldn't take any damage,
so everyone was guarding except Teddie.

8:15 edit: And it's game over. Nothing really changed this time around, yet I smashed through the boss without a problem. Even with mind charge active, megidoloan took off about 150 (not guarding). Absolutely bizarre...

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got to some dungeon crawling. Got to the first boss
Yukiko's guard
and got my ass handed to me. Now I have to start over. I'm really missing P3's save-point-before-a-boss. I understand that it was kinda cheap being able to go back to the 1st floor for an automatic replenishment of HP and SP and then continue from the floor you left off at, but I'm an adult with a lifestyle that simply does not support marathon sessions without a save point.

God, I got greedy. I should have backed out and come back the next day. But I didn't want to do that because I didn't want to have to work my way back up to 5F again.

There are save points before bosses, just not midbosses. And use a Goho-M to warp back to the entrance. You will be able to continue at the exact floor you left off at.

I beat this last night. I died once on the last boss. I didn't gaurd against a charged Megidoloan. But it was only the second time I ever died in the game. Now I'm all depressed that it's over with. I want more.

Logged in about 120 hours but missed 5 S-Links. I got 86% of the Demonic Compendium. Hmmm, not bad I guess. I did make Helel that's almost impossible to kill. It nulls everything except Phys which it's strong against.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']There are save points before bosses, just not midbosses. And use a Goho-M to warp back to the entrance. You will be able to continue at the exact floor you left off at.[/quote]

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm just going to consider that a practice run. Still, a couple of hours down the drain (I'm sure it wasn't REALLY two hours, but it feels like it).

Oh wtf...I got to the miniboss on the 5th dungeon and Atlus decided it would be a good idea to let him go first with an attack that does heavy damage to everyone and then let him charge up for next turn before I can even do anything. I promptly shut off the game because games that do that don't deserve to be played (I don't mean permenantly, just for the moment).

Okay, so I rescued the first person in time, and on "deadline night" your character automatically watches the TV. Clearly, if you succeed, it just says you don't see anything.

If you fail to rescue someone in time, do you see any kind of special cutscene or anything? Or is it all just the same generic thing?

out of curiosity i got the undub version.

wow.
i never thought i'd prefer an english dub. the only voice i liked from the japanese one was chie, who actually sounds cute.

whooo! I beat it! finally!!

such a fantastic game!!!

anyway, last boss didnt go down as easy as the previous last boss, but it still wasnt too tough.

I beat it on my 1st try with no problems, but I had to use my entire stash of Diamond Shields since none of my personas had Maraku

now I can finally read my artbook!! finally!!!

I was kind of disappointed that, in the bad endings,
the world doesn't end. IN the good ending, they say that at the end of the year, Inaba will get swallowed up. But it doesn't. Disappointing.

[quote name='Jest']I am really pissed that I flipped through the art book before playing the game. [/quote]

There's a spoiler warning on the very first page.

spoilar alert

Is Kanji really gay? Its basically love at first sight when he sees Naoto, but he thinks shes a guy. So did he fall for "her" or "him"?

The nosebleed scene at the summer camp leads me to believe hes not gay. Apparently in Japan a nosebleed indicates hes aroused. He was looking at the girls in their bathing suits at the time so that leads me to believe that he is straight, but just fell for something about Naoto when they met (probably he mysteriousness, intelligence, and that cute hat. Thats what got me ;))

I had a dream that I bought silken tofu from Rise because I wanted to cook tofu. And she gave me extra. And when I talked to her, it was Persona-style where her portrait came up on the side.

Alright, I'm getting to the second to last dungeon. I paged ahead to read the boss page, and I realized I had better start power leveling before the rescue starts, something I've never done before. So now I'm around level 58, and I'll definitely make some stronger personas.

How hard is the rescue nanako boss? The book makes it seem really hard, but it also make the shadow naoto fight seem really hard, when it really wasn't. Would level 65 be a good level perhaps?

[quote name='Ski Hawk']
How hard is the rescue nanako boss? The book makes it seem really hard, but it also make the shadow naoto fight seem really hard, when it really wasn't. Would level 65 be a good level perhaps?
[/quote]

It's pretty tough, around 65 should be plenty good enough a level to face him on though. Just make sure you have a Persona with solid defense, as well as a good healing spell you can use or items on hand. Also, be sure to have a Persona that can reflect an element, any element will do. Marakukaja will help a lot towards the end of the fight, when he starts spamming his high-damage/hit everyone attack.

Well, I beat Nanako's heaven. The final boss was not as nearly as hard as the book said it would be, and I'm beginning to believe the guide hypes up the boss fights a bit too much. Although, I had power leveled a bit and was at level 66; ended up beating the dungeon in one day :D

Ok, so I never played any of the Shin Megami Tensei games but I'm intrigued by all the praise these games have gotten. For someone who is completely new to the series, should I just get Persona 4 as my first experience or should I wait till a "definitive" version of the game comes out a la Persona 3 (if there's even one planned) since I have a huge backlog anyway. My concern is that sometimes these JRPGs become hard to find later on, but it still seems like you can get a special edition version of Persona 3 FES off amazon for $26 shipped (http://www.amazon.com/Persona-FES-S..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1233026598&sr=8-1). I'm gonna guess you all would recommend Persona 3 FES too.

[quote name='Jest']spoilar alert

Is Kanji really gay? Its basically love at first sight when he sees Naoto, but he thinks shes a guy. So did he fall for "her" or "him"?

The nosebleed scene at the summer camp leads me to believe hes not gay. Apparently in Japan a nosebleed indicates hes aroused. He was looking at the girls in their bathing suits at the time so that leads me to believe that he is straight, but just fell for something about Naoto when they met (probably he mysteriousness, intelligence, and that cute hat. Thats what got me ;))
[/quote]

He's bisexual. Seriously.

Eh, sure. Just go and get Persona 4. It's better than 3, so you might as well just get the best one. There will be no definitive version.

Get P3:FES. Play through that. If you like it get P4 and then you can better appreciate the series. And Atlus has said there won't be a "Persona 4: FES"

Hey guys, I noticed that after maxing out someone, I still see them with an exclamation point over their head every now and then. What's up with that? Any point in hanging out with them, or is it a waste of time?

Grrrrr stupid Yosuke making me work at Junes for a week. I didnt even get the stupid small S.Link boost since him and Chie were of course the only 2 freaking characters in the game I had maxed!

Something to try and get the topic rolling again which girls do you think are the hottest and which would you be most likely to date if they were real?

Personally

Hottest
Chie
Rise
Moon Chick - Name slips my mind

Most likely to date
Chie
Ayane
No third one that wold be likely. Maybe Rise but I might get too jealous. The moon chick would annoy me, Yukiko is too whiny and just not my style. Naoto is cute but way too young ;)

[quote name='MSI Magus']Naoto is cute but way too young ;)[/quote]

Isn't Naoto that dude? I think you meant Nanako... which kind of freaks me out either way :whistle2:#.

I'm a sucker for Yukiko but Rise is close behind. Chie can get it too but chicks that can potentially kick my ass is a turn off.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Isn't Naoto that dude? I think you meant Nanako... which kind of freaks me out either way :whistle2:#.

I'm a sucker for Yukiko but Rise is close behind. Chie can get it too but chicks that can potentially kick my ass is a turn off.[/QUOTE]

Ya I meant to say Nanoko is cute but waaay to young heh. I dont really care for Yukiko.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Ya I meant to say Nanoko is cute but waaay to young heh. I dont really care for Yukiko.[/quote]

Nice save.

Naoto's got that cute hat she's always wearing but I'm gonna go with Yukiko. She seems like the most normal of the girls. I like that face she makes when she comes to your room for sex too. Chie's to much of a tomboy and Rise is to needy and clingy. I didn't get far enough along the s.links for any of the others to really have a opinion.

[quote name='cindersphere']Just finished this game and I have to say something about the ending left me feeling slighted.[/quote]

Hmm I haven't finished yet, but I have to say... how disappointed can you really be over a JRPG ending? Are you really playing for an enthralling story? That's not to say that we shouldn't demand better, but it's hard to feel let down when the current state of the medium keeps expectations low. So far for me the game is just one big episode of Scooby Doo.

[quote name='Vegan']Hmm I haven't finished yet, but I have to say... how disappointed can you really be over a JRPG ending? Are you really playing for an enthralling story? That's not to say that we shouldn't demand better, but it's hard to feel let down when the current state of the medium keeps expectations low. So far for me the game is just one big episode of Scooby Doo.[/quote]

I thought JRPG's were all about story. Whether or not one can fully comprehend the story is different topic.

As for JRPG having a bad story I could think of worse offenders than P4. With that said I was very satisfied with both the story and ending(s)

[quote name='bigl523']I thought JRPG's were all about story. Whether or not one can fully comprehend the story is different topic.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, Persona 3's ending wasn't great IMO. But getting there was hella fun!

I'll prolly pick P4 up soon--so is it pretty universally accepted that P4 whoops P3's butt?

I've still got FES to play through, but if P4 is that much better I think I'll put it on the back burner...err, FARTHER to the back that is!...and just start P4.

[quote name='keithp']I'll prolly pick P4 up soon--so is it pretty universally accepted that P4 whoops P3's butt? [/quote]

I preferred P3 in nearly every way, but that doesn't make P4 at all a bad game. To be fair, it took me some time to get used to the changes in P4 (dungeon camera, color scheme, surprising enemies) and I don't think I ever got entirely passed them.

[quote name='thelonepig']I preferred P3 in nearly every way, but that doesn't make P4 at all a bad game. To be fair, it took me some time to get used to the changes in P4 (dungeon camera, color scheme, surprising enemies) and I don't think I ever got entirely passed them.[/QUOTE]

I personally am torn. I liked P3 better in many ways but P4 was more streamlined. I wish I could mix the 2 games somehow it would be perfect!

P4 took everything about P3 and tweaked it to make it better. I also like how there's not as much emphasis on grinding, and that each dungeon is a drastic change in scenery. They're short and sweet, and that's perfect. P3 felt like "Tartarus: The Game" but P4 doesn't feel like that.

I haven't finished the game yet (sep. 6 right now) but the battle system/dungeon crawling in p4 is much better than p3. I do miss the floors where the stairs were right next to the previous set of stairs though :)

I totally agree that the gameplay is better and that its nice having new settings. There are other improvements too like being allowed to press Square and warp to a different part of a building your in. But everything else I dont think P4 has a huge win in. The story I was kind of split but would probally give to P4. The cast I am really split on but again would probally give to P4(though I really miss Junpei and hate Yukiko). The S.Links I think I liked in P3 more and the town/setting/school I liked in P3 better.

[quote name='bigl523'] I do miss the floors where the stairs were right next to the previous set of stairs though :)[/quote]

God, me too. That's only happened to me once in P4. I also miss being able to spread out.

bread's done
Back