Phenom X3 720 2.8ghz for $149.99 Shipped Buy.com

munoi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
http://www.buy.com/prod/PHENOM-II-X...-5MB-95W-4000MHZ-PIB/q/loc/101/210692665.html
For those of you guys familiar w/ this cpu; it is over the MSRP of $145, but given its huge popularity there's been a large amount of price gouging going on...

Take Newegg for example
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649&Tpk=phenom x3 720
and thats without shipping

So for you PC enthusiasts out there, looking for a cheap new gaming setup, with serious O/C potential you can't go wrong.

EDIT: This really isn't a deal anymore since most retailers reduced their pricing, including newegg.
Still a great value for a processor however

Last edited by a moderator:
The Phenom X3 has gotten a lot of bad press. I personally would stick with a Core 2 Quad or i7. Even though I prefer AMD over Intel, AMD's chips just don't give the same ratio of price to power that the last few generations of the Intel chips do.

Phenom's not bad. I mean even the first gen, slowest Phenom isn't a joke or anything. But even Phenom 2 is slower at the same clock speed than Core 2 quad, and of course Core i7 is faster still...

Which doesn't mean you shouldn't get one if you want AMD. It's still a wicked fast CPU in the scheme of things.

I mean I'm running a lowly 2.4GHz/3MB/1066Mhz Penryn x2 in my new laptop, and IT'S pretty great :)

EDIT: Personally I prefer Intel's chips though, though a lot of that is I love love love Intel's chipsets 'cause they never give me problems. Though now that AMD is finally making their own chipsets instead of relying on horrible companies like VIA things have hopefully improved drastically!

I switched to AMD about 3 years ago with the X2 processors but then they effed me by going from socket 939 to AM2 shortly thereafter - which basically killed any kind of upgrade path I could have taken.

picked up an X4 940BE for a little over $200 runs at 3.5ghz on stock cooler. This thing is fast. Good cheap mobos out there too, if yours doesn't support it.

i got a phenom x4 9600 black edition w/ an asus m2r32 mvp (crossfire) mobo for only $120 after rebate. I'm planning on overclocking it to around 3 ghz with my zalman cnps 9700 heat sink and my case fans in my antec 300. I did get lucky by getting newegg to accept a $20 coupon code that was supposed to be for the processor (codes aren't supposed to be used w/ combo deals). I also got a 19" asus flat panel monitor for $80 after rebate. I absolutely love using it w/ my pc, ps3 and 360 (the picture is awesome). The only downside is the barely noticable stuck pixel.

Hah, I'm still using a socket 939 board. I wouldn't mind an upgrade like this, just not right now.

bread's done
Back