Playstation 15 year anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFWRX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
http://kotaku.com/5633974/fifteen-y.../full+(Kotaku)&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Sony invites fans to help celebrate the fifteen year anniversary with several special discounts and free items available through the PlayStation Network.

• Free downloadable PS3 & PSP static themes available for download on the PlayStation Store starting today
  • Weekly discounts on select PS One titles within the PlayStation 15th anniversary collection page, available in all SCEA territories on PS3, PSP & Media Go Storefronts. In addition to a 50 percent sale on Super Rub A Dub (Super Rub A Dub offer good from Thursday, September 9, 2010 - through Monday, September 20, 2010).
  • A PlayStation Home commemorative Original PlayStation® (PS One) ornament for personal spaces available starting today.

[quote name='Lost Loser']I don't know if anyone else has seen it yet, but PlayStation tweeted 15 minutes ago that the first PS One classic on sale is Suikoden for $3.[/QUOTE]

YES!:bouncy: I'm in for that game. Love RPGs. Suikoden is one of the best series. I really hope Suikoden II gets released for the North America PSN.

[quote name='Saablic']There are a bunch if you think about it for a little bit. Some of them ended up being only exclusive for a couple of years like Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear 2 but you still have Metal Gear 3, God of War 1&2, Devil May Cry games, Final Fantasy games, Dragon Quest VIII, Dark Cloud Games, Disgaea games, Persona games, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Jak games and Rachet and Clank games.

Those are just games off the top of my head. There are tons more if I really wanted to get into it. It really was a very strong library.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm sure I'm just forgetting some. I guess part of it though too is I think most of the PS2's exclusives are really bad. I mean the Gamecube and Xbox had exclusives that I *LOVED*. Gamecube especially. I'd totally forgotten Metal Gear Solid 3...although I don't think that was actually exclusive either. I loved Jak 1, but HATE the entire rest of the series.

So yeah, for actual exclusives, possibly Final Fantasy 10 and 10-2 are the only ones I liked well enough to buy a system for. (DOH! I forgot about FF12! I didn't keep it, but it is surprisingly strong. Probably should have kept it. Kingdom Hearts 2 is cool, if not exactly good.) God of War 1 I didn't like much. Devil May Cry 1 was awesome at the time, but not enough that I kept it, and the rest of the series I hate. DQ8 was pretty good for what it was, but I couldn't even bring myselt to finish it. I hate the ICO developers games. Hate the PS2 Ratchet and Clank games (or at least the demos).

So...I guess it's just personal preference for me + forgetting games in my library :lol: , but also I still think the PS1 had way more exclusives. I mean the PS2 didn't even have a (real) exclusive Resident Evil game.

When I think back on the Playstation 1, just off the top of my head it has stuff like:
-Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9
-Chrono Cross (still on the fence if it's any good, but before we got our hands on it it was sure a big draw)
-Tekken 1-3
-Hot Shots Golf series
-Metal Gear Solid
-The first release of Final Fantasy 5
-Alundra
-Ape Escape 1 (okay, so I forgot 2 on the PS2, which is pretty good...so this one cancels out :lol:)
-Armored Core series (back when it was worth thinking about)
-Azure Dreams
-Brave Fencer Musashi
-Breath of Fire 3, 4
-Bushido Blade
-Symphony of the Night (initially an exclusive, and I think a U.S. Exclusive...until the rereleases)...FREAKING SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT and Final Fantasy 7 came out THE SAME YEAR :whistle2:D
-the Colony Wars games were kind of neat
-Dino Crisis 1 and 2 (2 especially was really cool...although the first one was brought to PC I think)
-Disruptor (really cool for the time)
-the two Lunar remakes
-Jumping Flash! Series (I don't think they've held up well, but the original was awesome back in 1995)
-Tomba 1 and 2...now these are awesome.
-Klonoa (though Klonoa 2 was a PS2 exclusive, again cancelling this out)
-Parappa-okay, I don't think it's that good, but it's charming as hell and started an entire genre
-Parasite Eve 1 and 2-the second one especially is awesome.
-The Ridge Racer series (Ridge Racer Type 4 especially...my second favorite game in the series)
-Resident Evil series (although I think all of them were sort of ported...so essentially timed exclusives)
-Silient Hill! The first and last game in the series I though was amazing.
-Suikoden
-Vandal Hearts!
-Wild ARMs
-Wipeout XL
-Xenogears

Point being, I have a stack of exclusives on the PS1, and own more games for it. PS2 I've only kept 3 semi-exclusives...though yeah, part of that is just personal preference.

But IMO the Gamecube and Xbox had in a lot of ways much stronger exclusives. Reason I standardized on PS2 was the backwards compatibility.

Never bought a PS1 game from PSN, but how are they?

QUESTION:
Are the PSN's games for PS1 exactly the same game as they were, when they were originally released in the 90's?

Or do they have slightly enhanced graphics / sound, or maybe at least in a Widescreen format? Or at least with XBL, if the games are still 4:3 format, do they at least have Wallpaper Backgrounds on the left and right side? Are the loading times at least faster?

[quote name='Wolfpup']
-Armored Core series (back when it was worth thinking about)
[/QUOTE]

AC3 was the best one in the series IMO.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
-Silient Hill! The first and last game in the series I though was amazing.
[/QUOTE]

I don't think I have met anyone that thought 1 was amazing but 2 was not. 2 is my personal fave.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
But IMO the Gamecube and Xbox had in a lot of ways much stronger exclusives. Reason I standardized on PS2 was the backwards compatibility.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering what were all these strong exclusives for the Xbox? It had Halo, Forza, Panzer Dragoon and uhhhh I am already out.

[quote name='Saablic']
Just wondering what were all these strong exclusives for the Xbox? It had Halo, Forza, Panzer Dragoon and uhhhh I am already out.[/QUOTE]

(Found this online)

- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
- Halo: Combat Evolved
- Halo 2
- Fable
- Jade Empire
- The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
- Ninja Gaiden
- Ninja Gaiden Black
- Project Gotham Racing
- Project Gotham Racing 2
- Forza Motorsport
- Panzer Dragoon Orta
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
- Doom 3
- Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
- Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
- Far Cry Instincts
- Unreal Championship
- Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
- Jet Set Radio Future
- Dead or Alive 3
- Deus Ex: Invisible War
- Steel Battalion (Yes, the $200 mech game for Xbox)
- Amped
- Amped 2
- Otogi: Myth of Demons
- Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors
- Shenmue II
- MechAssault
- MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf
- RalliSport Challenge
- RalliSport Challenge 2
- Wreckless: Yakuza Mission
- Blinx: The Time Sweeper
- Gunvalkyrie
- Brute Force
- Midtown Madness 3
- Conker: Live and Reloaded
- Sudeki
- Grabbed by the Ghoolies
- Crazy Taxi 3

Sounds like a good list to me mate. I'm not saying its as strong as the PS2 exclusive list, but there are great games here.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Wolfpup']Then why am I only thinking of two exclusives I cared about?[/QUOTE]

Personal tastes. The PS2 had a ton of great exclusives, and many of them were already listed. One of my favorites, though, that wasn't listed is Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner.

[quote name='nightmare452'](Found this online)[/QUOTE]
Now strip out games not on PC and games that nobody cared about:

- Halo 2
- Ninja Gaiden
- Ninja Gaiden Black
- Project Gotham Racing
- Forza Motorsport
- Panzer Dragoon Orta
- Jet Set Radio Future
- Dead or Alive 3
- MechAssault
- Gunvalkyrie

Finally, my list of good exclusives:

- Ninja Gaiden Black
- Panzer Dragoon Orta
- Jet Set Radio Future
- Dead or Alive 3

Coincidentally, that's all I still own for Xbox lol.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Never bought a PS1 game from PSN, but how are they?

QUESTION:
Are the PSN's games for PS1 exactly the same game as they were, when they were originally released in the 90's?

Or do they have slightly enhanced graphics / sound, or maybe at least in a Widescreen format? Or at least with XBL, if the games are still 4:3 format, do they at least have Wallpaper Backgrounds on the left and right side? Are the loading times at least faster?[/QUOTE]
Anyone?

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Never bought a PS1 game from PSN, but how are they?

QUESTION:

Or do they have slightly enhanced graphics / sound, or maybe at least in a Widescreen format? Or at least with XBL, if the games are still 4:3 format, do they at least have Wallpaper Backgrounds on the left and right side? Are the loading times at least faster?[/QUOTE]

nope, they are the original recreations with obviously improved load times.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Anyone?[/QUOTE]
Bueller. . .

It's the same core code, but they may have tweaked some titles for performance/functionality. Short answer: the games are unaltered from original release. There's no George Lucas at Sony.

Man, I totally forgot that you have to buy $5 increments of money for PSN, and then use those to pay for games, which means I'd actually have to pay two extra real life dollars to get this game. I guess I'm gonna hold out. Hopefully this sale doesn't expire today (is anyone still clear on how this thing is being run) and at some point they'll put up a second game I'm interested in.

[quote name='nightmare452'](Found this online)

- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
- Halo: Combat Evolved
- Halo 2
- Fable
- Jade Empire
- The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
- Ninja Gaiden
- Ninja Gaiden Black
- Project Gotham Racing
- Forza Motorsport
- Panzer Dragoon Orta
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- Doom 3
- Far Cry Instincts
- Unreal Championship
- Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
- Jet Set Radio Future
- Dead or Alive 3
- Deus Ex: Invisible War
- Steel Battalion (Yes, the $200 mech game for Xbox)
- Amped
- Amped 2
- Otogi: Myth of Demons
- Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors
- Shenmue II
- MechAssault
- RalliSport Challenge
- RalliSport Challenge 2
- Wreckless: Yakuza Mission
- Blinx: The Time Sweeper
- Gunvalkyrie
- Brute Force
- Midtown Madness 3
- Sudeki
- Grabbed by the Ghoolies
- Crazy Taxi 3

Sounds like a good list to me mate. I'm not saying its as strong as the PS2 exclusive list, but there are great games here.[/QUOTE]

Buffy and Thief 3 and probably some others too. Another thing is that while any PS2 exclusive could have been done better on the Gamecube and Xbox, many Xbox exclusives couldn't be done on the PS2.

[quote name='Lost Loser']Man, I totally forgot that you have to buy $5 increments of money for PSN, and then use those to pay for games, which means I'd actually have to pay two extra real life dollars to get this game.[/QUOTE]
Imagine my surprise when I had to pay tax on a digital game, too. Pretty awful model; makes me respect Steam that much more.

[quote name='Jodou']Now strip out games not on PC and games that nobody cared about:
[/QUOTE]

Yeah most of the games listed were not Xbox exclusives as I had played them on the PC. Though I guess I did list the Halos even though it was a delayed release on PC. I think the second one even came out on PC as well as a Vista only game. It is just the one game you always think about when you think original Xbox.

Anyway, that is a much weaker library of exclusives than the PS2 has.

[quote name='Lost Loser']Man, I totally forgot that you have to buy $5 increments of money for PSN, and then use those to pay for games, which means I'd actually have to pay two extra real life dollars to get this game. I guess I'm gonna hold out. Hopefully this sale doesn't expire today (is anyone still clear on how this thing is being run) and at some point they'll put up a second game I'm interested in.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean there is a minimum of 5 dollars? Because the thing I love about PSN is that you didn't have the stupid points system leaving odd amounts but I can't remember if I have ever payed less than 5 dollars for anything on there.

[quote name='Saablic']Do you mean there is a minimum of 5 dollars? Because the thing I love about PSN is that you didn't have the stupid points system leaving odd amounts but I can't remember if I have ever payed less than 5 dollars for anything on there.[/QUOTE]
As in something costs $6, be ready to shell out $10. Sony fooled me!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jodou']As in something costs $6, be ready to shell out $10.[/QUOTE]

But I don't have to shell out 10 dollars to get something $6 unless this has changed recently. I have it so it just takes the exact amount from my credit card, puts it in the wallet and then uses it. Thus the $6 game costs me exactly $6. Please tell me this hasn't changed.

there's a five dollar minimum you have to add to the psn account but if your buying something for $6 and you have $.50 in your wallet just add to cart and it will take the exact amount you need from your credit card

[quote name='jrsmaster411']there's a five dollar minimum you have to add to the psn account but if your buying something for $6 and you have $.50 in your wallet just add to cart and it will take the exact amount you need from your credit card[/QUOTE]
Reaaaaaaaaaaally, well I was fooled a long time ago then, too. Figured it had to be $5 increments, which made sense at the time since PSN cards all came in that format.

Does anyone else find it funny that we have a list of Xbox exclusive titles in the Playstation 15 year anniversary thread?

Should we have a Dreamcast exclusive list just to balance it all out? heh.

Back on topic. I picked up Suikoden. I remember finishing the game shortly after it came out, then returning it to Best Buy. (When I worked there, everyone was buying and returning games when done with them. Hell, I think one of the asst. managers told me about it after I started.)

I ended up picking up a copy from Toysrus.com a few years later(for $9.99, as I recall) and never opened it. I'm shocked to see what that unopened copy is worth today.

[quote name='Lost Loser']Man, I totally forgot that you have to buy $5 increments of money for PSN, and then use those to pay for games, which means I'd actually have to pay two extra real life dollars to get this game. I guess I'm gonna hold out. Hopefully this sale doesn't expire today (is anyone still clear on how this thing is being run) and at some point they'll put up a second game I'm interested in.[/QUOTE]

they will be adding more as the days/weeks go by. Under games that have PSN 15th Anniv icon. under there, they will be listing all the sales they will put on games/themes

Does anyone else find it funny that we have a list of Xbox exclusive titles in the Playstation 15 year anniversary thread?

Should we have a Dreamcast exclusive list just to balance it all out? heh.

Back on topic. I picked up Suikoden. I remember finishing the game shortly after it came out, then returning it to Best Buy. (When I worked there, everyone was buying and returning games when done with them. Hell, I think one of the asst. managers told me about it after I started.)

I ended up picking up a copy from Toysrus.com a few years later(for $9.99, as I recall) and never opened it. I'm shocked to see what that unopened copy is worth today.

Do we know how often they're updating that? Turns out I've got $40 in my wallet, so might as well use some :)

token2k6 was nice enough to help me out with Media Go for Windows. Thanks Token! (Hope you don't mind me saying it publicly)

Well, one would think weekly - IIRC that's supposed to be how long the deal for each discounted PS1 classic is up, and the Capcom sale last spring had a similar schedule.

Don't mean to be a stickler, but maybe this thread should be moved to the general gaming forum, what with all the other discussions going on... at the very least please update the OP with the Suikoden deal.

[quote name='Jodou']Imagine my surprise when I had to pay tax on a digital game, too. Pretty awful model; makes me respect Steam that much more.[/QUOTE]

Taxed annoyed me too when I first discovered you had to pay it. Fortunately I didn't buy my PSN card from one of those few stores that actually charge tax for PSN and Xbox cards. But then I discovered that you get charged tax based on the address you enter, not the IP address. ;)

lol, i had that lil dongle spring thing that would keep the button pressed while you flipped games ;) i also remember trying to solder(sp?) and i went right through the laser wire. ooops... ps2 was so much easier with the network adapter and tossing a hard drive and hd loader and freemcboot. it practially cracked itself...

[quote name='Wolfpup']I

The Saturn was harder to code for, but could definitely do as good or better results with 3D. It really depended on the developer, how much they could dig into it, since it's relying on 3 CPUs and 2 GPUs...the Playstation was a lot easier to code for. [/QUOTE]

from what i have read it was harder to code for because of the extra CPU, i read 2 CPUs and 2 GPUs. maybe that is why games looked better on the ps1.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I
There's no question at all Final Fantasy 7 could have been done on Saturn...I mean there's nothing there that would have been unusual for it. My point with that is if the PS1 didn't exist, Final Fantasy 7 would have been a Saturn exclusive instead. Same for virtually all PS1 exclusives.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, if there was no PS1 then FF7 would have been on Nintendo's platform. I am glad that the PS1 came out, the controller is much more comfortable than the Saturn's.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Then why am I only thinking of two exclusives I cared about?
[/QUOTE]

Because you're a

kpNutBar.jpg

[quote name='Lost Loser']Man, I totally forgot that you have to buy $5 increments of money for PSN, and then use those to pay for games, which means I'd actually have to pay two extra real life dollars to get this game.[/QUOTE]

No, the extra dollars would go into your wallet and still be available for your next purchase. The game itself would just be $3.

[quote name='ctrek3']from what i have read it was harder to code for because of the extra CPU, i read 2 CPUs and 2 GPUs. maybe that is why games looked better on the ps1.[/quote]

That was on a per game, per developer basis. There were absolutely Saturn games that looked better than Playstation games, etc. Just harder to code for.

And it's actually three CPUs-it has two SH-2s and one SH-1.

I disagree, if there was no PS1 then FF7 would have been on Nintendo's platform.

Extremely unlikely. It was moved over because Sakaguchi wanted to do things not possible on cartridges. Technical reasons in other words. If the Playstation didn't exist, that wouldn't have changed-the difference is it would have gone to Saturn by default. Heck, it would probably have worked out even better for Square, since the Saturn probably would have sold better than the Playstation did.

I am glad that the PS1 came out, the controller is much more comfortable than the Saturn's.

The Dual Shock is better than the Saturn's 3D pad IMO (since it's more normal shaped and has an extra analog stick), but personally I like the regular Saturn pad better than the regular Playstation one.

Pathetically, the d-pad on the Playstation pad is considered good now...but only because Nintendo quit making normal pads and Microsoft inexplicably made a horrible d-pad on teh Xbox 360. Back in 1995 I think generally it was regarded as worse. In particular the Saturn pad was great for 2D stuff.

It's all personal preference though-I don't think the Playstation pad was bad (the N64's though....)

Uh huh. It couldn't possibly be that I think the Playstation 1 had much strong exclusives, and that the Gamecube and Xbox had much stronger exclusives. I have to like God of War and Team ICO games or I'm dumb :roll:

[quote name='Jodou']Imagine my surprise when I had to pay tax on a digital game, too. Pretty awful model; makes me respect Steam that much more.[/QUOTE]

I didn't pay tax. Suikoden was $2.99 and tax was $0.00.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Uh huh. It couldn't possibly be that I think the Playstation 1 had much strong exclusives, and that the Gamecube and Xbox had much stronger exclusives. I have to like God of War and Team ICO games or I'm dumb :roll:[/QUOTE]

i liked the god of war games a lot, but i can partly agree with you on the team ICO games. ICO itself was okay, i never felt it was great, SotC was better, and a really cool idea, but the controls completely killed the game for me. wander controlled like shit, and don't get me started on that damn horse. i finished both games, but just was as impressed with them as everyone else.

[quote name='Buuhan1']I didn't pay tax. Suikoden was $2.99 and tax was $0.00.[/QUOTE]
You pay tax on non-Sony games/DLC AFAIK.

I didn't really like anything about the Team ICO games. I mean I appreciate them in principle because they really are artistic and artsy, but that doesn't mean I have to actually like them. I don't like the control or gameplay in either, and I found SotC really disturbing. I mean it's SUPPOSED to be disturbing, so that's actually really cool that it is, but I don't have to actually like playing it :lol: (I gave up long before finishing either though-way too hard to get through for me because of the controls.)

[quote name='Buuhan1']I didn't pay tax. Suikoden was $2.99 and tax was $0.00.[/QUOTE]

It depends on what state you live in. TX residents definitely pay tax on PSN purchases.
You can circumvent it by changing your address to a state that doesn't (like California), but then you can't use a credit card with your original state's address. So that's what I do, and I use PSN cards instead of my credit card.

[quote name='Saablic']Do you mean there is a minimum of 5 dollars? Because the thing I love about PSN is that you didn't have the stupid points system leaving odd amounts but I can't remember if I have ever payed less than 5 dollars for anything on there.[/QUOTE]

When I click the add funds button, it gives me choices of add $5, $10, $15, $20, etc. There's no option to just add say $2.96 (I already have 3¢). Thus, if I want to buy this game, I have to commit $5 to being spent on games, instead of just spending $3 on games and using the other $2 on food or washing a load of laundry.

[quote name='Lost Loser']When I click the add funds button, it gives me choices of add $5, $10, $15, $20, etc. There's no option to just add say $2.96 (I already have 3¢). Thus, if I want to buy this game, I have to commit $5 to being spent on games, instead of just spending $3 on games and using the other $2 on food or washing a load of laundry.[/QUOTE]

Well it was said there is a 5 dollar minimum but if you just have it linked to your credit card it adds the exact amount directly. I have bought games for 5.31 and 10.(some odd change) plenty of times in the past with no extra money left over in the Sony wallet thing.

I can't really fault them for the 5 dollar limit as stores usually have the same thing for CC transactions since it costs them a little bit of money for each one. It is so much better a system than the stupid MS and Wii points system that are set to odd amounts to add so you always have left overs.

[quote name='Jodou']You pay tax on non-Sony games/DLC AFAIK.[/QUOTE]

No, you don't. You pay tax depending on your state. I've never paid tax on any content on PSN (GA resident).

So this is definitely a weekly update (for PSX titles) and not daily, as in I have a week from yesterday to decide on Suikoden?

[quote name='Aliens']So this is definitely a weekly update (for PSX titles) and not daily, as in I have a week from yesterday to decide on Suikoden?[/QUOTE]

It's a daily update that is supposed to occur between 6-9pm eastern. No one knows if Suikoden will stay active after the next update.

[quote name='Saablic']Well it was said there is a 5 dollar minimum but if you just have it linked to your credit card it adds the exact amount directly. I have bought games for 5.31 and 10.(some odd change) plenty of times in the past with no extra money left over in the Sony wallet thing.

I can't really fault them for the 5 dollar limit as stores usually have the same thing for CC transactions since it costs them a little bit of money for each one. It is so much better a system than the stupid MS and Wii points system that are set to odd amounts to add so you always have left overs.[/QUOTE]

See, I didn't know that.

[quote name='mtxbass1']No, you don't. You pay tax depending on your state. I've never paid tax on any content on PSN (GA resident).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it seems like a lot of people around here are confused about how sales taxes work. Though a lot of states have sales taxes, they are not all the same in how they handle certain things, like digital products.

[quote name='ctrek3']the first Playstation had overheating problems , and laser issues with the first model, due to heat vents on the bottom of the console, and the laser being on a diagonal track. they fixed the laser track by putting it horizontal but kept the vents on the bottom of the system. i don't think it could be considered the best designed of that gen because of that.[/QUOTE]

Wow, pulled that all out of your ass I see.

Yes, the original PlayStation models had overheating problems but your explanation is woefully incorrect. It was a multitude of things that contributed to the laser issues and while it was heat related, the cause was different and a series of small things alleviated it over time. Originally the laser assembly was to the left of the center spindle. This unfortunately put it closer to the power transformer that takes up the left 1/5 of the PlayStation. Simply by changing that to the right of the spindle on later models moved it away from that heat source. Track angle means absolutely nothing on a horizontal plane. The presence of vents in the bottom of the system meant nothing too. That was there to HELP remove heat and even way later models still had vents in the bottom. :p A continual refinement of reducing the number of chips internally reduced heat along with better quality lasers is what led to vastly superior reliability over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back