PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Man, after watching that trailer for the Playstation Experience, I really wish I could go. After attending the E3 Theater one, and having so much fun. I can only imagine how much fun this would be. This would make a great B-day present to myself. The fact that it's right before the holidays and right after all ton of games are releases, I can't go. Responsibility really sucks sometimes. Any of you guys planning to go? If so have fun!

BTW I'm most disappointed I'll miss the Knack 2 reveal, I heard it's a pre-sequel.....lol

Man, after watching that trailer for the Playstation Experience, I really wish I could go. After attending the E3 Theater one, and having so much fun. I can only imagine how much fun this would be. This would make a great B-day present to myself. The fact that it's right before the holidays and right after all ton of games are releases, I can't go. Responsibility really sucks sometimes. Any of you guys planning to go? If so have fun!

BTW I'm most disappointed I'll miss the Knack 2 reveal, I heard it's a pre-sequel.....lol
im in phoenix so vegas is only a 4 hour drive from me. its definitely tempting. wonder how much tickets cost.

The nes is a pretty dang simple controller and there aren't many spots it could break unless you purposely broke it in half. I'm just saying that the dualshock 4 has so much range of motion in the r2 that if you get caught up in a furious game of fifa you could easily break it. If not after 1 game then surely 100. I never broke a 360 r2 playing fifa because the triggers were pretty much straight up and down
I just opened a DS4 and replaced the thumbsticks with the Xbox One Thumbsticks and I was able to see the DS4 triggers. They looked very flimsy. I can see how it could be broken easily.

I just opened a DS4 and replaced the thumbsticks with the Xbox One Thumbsticks and I was able to see the DS4 triggers. They looked very flimsy. I can see how it could be broken easily.
Where did you get xbox one thumbsticks? Are they actually from microsoft factory or are they imitations sold by third party?

I don't know why people like the Xbone thumbsticks, they are short and the ridges around the top make my thumbs raw after long sessions. I like the spongy material used on the DualShock 4 launch controllers though I hear it's since changed which is a bummer. 

Last edited by a moderator:
oragne_smiley_indifferent.png

I don't know why people like the Xbone thumbsticks, they are short and the ridges around the top make my thumbs raw after long sessions. I like the spongy material used on the DualShock 4 launch controllers though I hear it's since changed which is a bummer.
xbone thumbsticks are tons times better then 360 thumbsticks and that was my opinion best gaming controller ever. With that said i enjoy ds4 way more then ds3 does not make my hands cramp up like ds3 did.

Anyone know about some issues with the dualshock 4 controller?  When I play Knack it locks me into a direction, and it becomes a pain to get out of it.  I'm not sure if it's happening with other games, but it didn't do it with Second son.  Anyone read any articles about this issue?

Can't believe how excited I am for a stupid Software update lol. I'm glad it's coming Tuesday. Last week when we were talking about it, I was guessing that's when we would see it. The way they were talking in the Blog about even more features, I hope it's something good.

Can't believe how excited I am for a stupid Software update lol. I'm glad it's coming Tuesday. Last week when we were talking about it, I was guessing that's when we would see it. The way they were talking in the Blog about even more features, I hope it's something good.
You should get an Xbone then, I hear they get them every month.

You should get an Xbone then, I hear they get them every month.
Lol I think you misunderstood what I meant. I'm excited for the SharePlay feature, really that's why I'm pumped for the update. I have the Xbone BTW. They might put out software updates monthly, but they are a Software company. IMO the new features in 2.0 are something that would be released over a 6 month period on Xbox. While I think both consoles are great in their own ways. I love the Snap & SmartGlass features on the Xbox and love the Remote Play on PS4. SharePlay is just one of those features that I would say is truly "Next Gen". Early in the PS3/360/Wii Gen, if you explained SharePlay or PSNow to someone, they would probably think you were crazy. I know the first time I came across Onlive, that's kind of how I felt.

Having owned both consoles since launch, I would say that the PS4 was more complete at launch. Wasn't there an early update from the Xbox that added the ability to see the controllers battery life?

Lol I think you misunderstood what I meant. I'm excited for the SharePlay feature, really that's why I'm pumped for the update. I have the Xbone BTW. They might put out software updates monthly, but they are a Software company. IMO the new features in 2.0 are something that would be released over a 6 month period on Xbox. While I think both consoles are great in their own ways. I love the Snap & SmartGlass features on the Xbox and love the Remote Play on PS4. SharePlay is just one of those features that I would say is truly "Next Gen". Early in the PS3/360/Wii Gen, if you explained SharePlay or PSNow to someone, they would probably think you were crazy. I know the first time I came across Onlive, that's kind of how I felt.

Having owned both consoles since launch, I would say that the PS4 was more complete at launch. Wasn't there an early update from the Xbox that added the ability to see the controllers battery life?
Onlive was ahead of its time hence why it failed. Ps now for me even with 40 mbs Internet has lag and button input issues. My opinion both systems os systems were rushed and until this new update ps4 has really been lacking good new updates where as xbone has been pumping out great features since start of this year. Ps4 is still missing major feature in allowing portable hard drive for storage.

My bandwidth is gonna take a hit tuesday. Gottta download who knows how many updates on my x1 when I pick it up, sunset overddrive, killer instinct, peggle, and now this update

Onlive was ahead of its time hence why it failed. Ps now for me even with 40 mbs Internet has lag and button input issues. My opinion both systems os systems were rushed and until this new update ps4 has really been lacking good new updates where as xbone has been pumping out great features since start of this year. Ps4 is still missing major feature in allowing portable hard drive for storage.
Why would you want a portable drive when you can put a new one in the system?

I would agree with this personally but, you can get larger ones that aren't limited to the 2.5" form factor and are cheaper $/gb. Also haven't upgraded a ps4 or x1 yet but, don't you need to worry about reformatting the system like on ps3? Or is it simply plug and play this time around?

PS4 has been behind on the FW updates but thats always been the case when compared to MS, a software company. They have been good at adding features that were missing or needed fixing at launch but I dont expect them to keep adding meaningful updates at this clip for long.

If I had to choose I would pick internal as well.

I think the big ones sony are missing is dlna support and suspend resume. But who knows how long it will be before they get added, could be another year.

After having to do some traveling I'd prefer internal as well. Having an external drive for my Xbox One is nice since they usually cost less for more storage than an internal drive, but I've been house sitting for family and one of the reasons I brought my PS4 instead was because the External Drive just added more bulk I would need to carry with me, and I'd need another outlet for it.

The only thing I care about in the update is the music player, but then again I only care about it if MLB 15 has the ability to set custom walkup/stadium music.

I don't expect them to patch it into MLB 14. 

for many reasons. it would be nice if i could take my stuff to another person's house like i do with xbone stuff. Before you say well you can get on account on internet what happens if that person don't have decent speed internet.

After having to do some traveling I'd prefer internal as well. Having an external drive for my Xbox One is nice since they usually cost less for more storage than an internal drive, but I've been house sitting for family and one of the reasons I brought my PS4 instead was because the External Drive just added more bulk I would need to carry with me, and I'd need another outlet for it.
my external drive for xbone is size of my cellphone not sure how that is hard to carry around.

I prefer being able to internally upgrade the hard drive like the PS4. The OS resides on that hard drive, if the hard drive ever goes bad on the Xbox One. You will need to send it into Microsoft to replace while replacing the internal hard drive on the PS4 doesn't void the warranty.

Have they said all games work with share or only selective ones. Hard to think game company's would approve of say destiny to be played this way. Means the other person would never have to buy the game.

Have they said all games work with share or only selective ones. Hard to think game company's would approve of say destiny to be played this way. Means the other person would never have to buy the game.
Its limited to 1 hour sessions but the amount of sessions is unlimited. Both people need PS+ to do game sharing.

I guess they COULD play Destiny and never buy the game but you wouldnt be able to play together.

[quote name="Deader2818" post="12183649" timestamp="1414250081"]

Its limited to 1 hour sessions but the amount of sessions is unlimited. Both people need PS+ to do game sharing.

That video said the one player share only needs person passing game off needs gold. When both players play at once both needs plus

Whats gold? You mean free?

either way, you'd have to start a session every hour so i dont see it as a problem.
Me either, who wants to reboot a game and start the share process every hour? Also, if you can't earn trophies via Share Play(or am I mistaken?), I see that being a big deterrent for most to just use this as a "free game library".

I could be wrong but I don't see this not being compatible for every game, I think Sony wants to treat it much the same way they treat Remote Play since its a big selling point for them. There may be some games that don't support it, sure, but I think those will be few and far in between.

I can see and know plenty of people who will restart a game up every hour if it means not dropping $60 on it. Or even if they have PS+ and drop $30 on it to coop through with a friend from across town or even in different rooms. 

I could see people using this to maybe play a game that would normally be split screen on 2 separate TVs in the same home. Either talking in the same room or yelling across a couple rooms. 

I'm not saying Sony will get screwed over by this, but it's not like no one will "take advantage" of this.

Also I read somewhere that the vita web exploit hack whatever worked its way to the current PS4 version. 

Me either, who wants to reboot a game and start the share process every hour? Also, if you can't earn trophies via Share Play(or am I mistaken?), I see that being a big deterrent for most to just use this as a "free game library".

I could be wrong but I don't see this not being compatible for every game, I think Sony wants to treat it much the same way they treat Remote Play since its a big selling point for them. There may be some games that don't support it, sure, but I think those will be few and far in between.
ps4-share-play-detail-image-1.png

Yoshida said the feature works with all PS4 games without any effort on the part of developers. Additionally, save games are tied to the player's account, allowing you to try a friend's game, buy it, and then pick up from where you left off.

Yoshida said the feature works with all PS4 games without any effort on the part of developers. Additionally, save games are tied to the player's account, allowing you to try a friend's game, buy it, and then pick up from where you left off.
Going to need a source on this one because a quote from a Sony Representative back in August says the complete opposite of that.

I'm using Kotaku's article for reference and they had to update the article because Yoshida's comments weren't correct.

http://kotaku.com/how-digital-game-sharing-on-the-ps4-will-work-1621424897

Also for reference's sake you need PS+ for the shared split-screen sharing. You do not need PS+ for Share Play.

So basically a friend can play any of your PS4 games limited at an hour per session, with game saves stored on your console and your friend doesn't earn trophies for it. It sounds pretty fair in that sense because while you could just continuously restart it that would mean you couldn't use your system while your friend is playing, and if you're at Work/School the process can't be continued until you get home.

In case it wasn't clear (Since it is technically remote play like) Share Play is limited to 720p and 30fps. That resolution will lower or be capped at 720p depending on the Internet connection. Of the person getting the game shared to them.
Note the hosts resolution and FPS will remain the same.

Additionally Someone from Sony mentioned that Suspend/Resume is still being worked on it just didn't make 2.0 update.
That same person mentioned that (They've heard the requests for PSN name change feature).

Sorry no sources on these, you can Google for them, but I'm on mobile away from home so it isn't easy to copy and paste the links.

PS4 Firmware Update 2.0 “Masamune” Released; Full Patch Notes: Lots of Unannounced Changes ds

PS4PatchNotes-732x1024.jpg

PS4 Firmware Update 2.0 “Masamune” Released; Full Patch Notes: Lots of Unannounced Changes - ds

PS4PatchNotes-732x1024.jpg
Downloaded and played around with it for a little while after taking my kids to school. No one was on this early, so I couldn't try out SharePlay yet. Besides that everything else seems pretty good. I'm digging the red background color.

Has anyone used PSNow yet? I've been debating on checking it out recently.

The best thing about being able to swap an internal drive is that external support can be patched in, internal swapping cannot.

The best thing about being able to swap an internal drive is that external support can be patched in, internal swapping cannot.
exactly... we will get external patched in one day... it's just not a priority when you can swap internal. MS had to get a patch quick because they messed up not allowing an internal swap.

bread's done
Back