PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

I know this is a gen PS4 thread but figure it can't hurt to ask here first. 

I haven't used my PS3 for quite a while and in that time, I figured the controller batteries died. 1 of them actually still had a charge but the other 2 were dead but for some reason, none of them will charge. I tried two different cables, tried hooking it up to my PS3, wall plug, and my computer... nothing. I could understand the battery not charging but they literally will not even power on while plugged into the PS3- I press the power button and nothing. 

Anyone know why this is? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is a gen PS4 thread but figure it can't hurt to ask here first.

I haven't used my PS3 for quite a while and in that time, I figured the controller batteries died. 1 of them actually still had a charge but the other 2 were dead but for some reason, none of them will charge. I tried two different cables, tried hooking it up to my PS3, wall plug, and my computer... nothing. I could understand the battery not charging but they literally will not even power on while plugged into the PS3- I press the power button and nothing.

Anyone know why this is?
Batteries are probably fried I had the same problem with mine are these older controllers (OG PS dualshocks? if so that is probably why)

Batteries are probably fried I had the same problem with mine are these older controllers (OG PS dualshocks? if so that is probably why)
Yeah, the only one that is working is the newest one I have... the other two, one is a Sixaxis and the other is the one I got with my console back in 2008. But even if the battery is fried, shouldn't the controller work if i just plug it in?

EDIT* So I read somewhere that the PS3 controllers are very picky about their USB cable to charge controllers and it seems like they really are. I found another cable I had and decided to give it a try and it sure enough, my controller is finally charging.

I just noticed we can add a cover image to our PSN profile page. I'm using a funny capture of Tracer looking at her dangling bangs. It was an image I captured by chance when resetting the start time for a recording. Maybe someday I'll work on something really nice.

I just noticed we can add a cover image to our PSN profile page. I'm using a funny capture of Tracer looking at her dangling bangs. It was an image I captured by chance when resetting the start time for a recording. Maybe someday I'll work on something really nice.
Yeah, I found that a few months back and made mine a screenshot of the covenant giant wolf in Dark Souls 3. :)

Well Sony's E3 wasn't exactly that interesting.  There were a couple of games I'm interested in but nothing really jumped out at me or was particularly surprising.  They even had a couple of remakes/re-releases in there instead of new stuff.  At least no one got on stage and asked for kickstarter donations this year.

Well Sony's E3 wasn't exactly that interesting. There were a couple of games I'm interested in but nothing really jumped out at me or was particularly surprising. They even had a couple of remakes/re-releases in there instead of new stuff. At least no one got on stage and asked for kickstarter donations this year.
I thought the same thing: lots and lots of games shown so that was nice, but nothing really blew me away. God of War, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Spider Man (too many QTEs), and Days Gone all look great and pique my interest more this year after seeing more of them.. but nothing super shocking. Shadow of the Colossus Remake was surprising but I would have rather had an ICO remake. All the VR games looked pretty meh. Detroit impressed me the most but Quantic Dream games always have a habit of coming up just short of being fantastic.

Also, I'm glad they didn't focus on indie games... so many fucking indie games these days and an overwhelming majority of them are too focused on unique or "retro' visuals.

not showing the last of us 2 makes me think itll be a 2019 game. no showing from sucker punches new exclusive game. no showing from from softwares new exclusive game. no release dates for days gone, god of war, spiderman or detroit.

e3 from sony and microsoft were both underwhelming.

The only real surprise would have been SotC remake had it not been leaked online hours before thanks to nerds who can't stop digging through trademark filings. The presentation was great, but overall I'm not truly excited for anything. Sad as it sounds, I'm more interested to play Far Cry 5 than anything Sony is offering because I feel like Sony exclusives are all starting to blend together. Third person, check. Zombies/Monsters, check. Well crafted story, check. Don't get me wrong, I'm positive all these games will be great but it's just starting to feel repetitive with their offerings.

The only real surprise would have been SotC remake had it not been leaked online hours before thanks to nerds who can't stop digging through trademark filings. The presentation was great, but overall I'm not truly excited for anything. Sad as it sounds, I'm more interested to play Far Cry 5 than anything Sony is offering because I feel like Sony exclusives are all starting to blend together. Third person, check. Zombies/Monsters, check. Well crafted story, check. Don't get me wrong, I'm positive all these games will be great but it's just starting to feel repetitive with their offerings.
I agree with you the Sony presentation left a lot to be desired, specifically games that can be in my grubby little hands on a reasonable time table. I really dislike the general industry trend to tease or reveal projects too early; I don't particularly care to wait 3-5+ years with the occasional updates. I think Fallout 4's reveal was expertly handled and I would like more companies doing so.

Butttt then there's Nintendo that show's a title card with the word 'Metroid' and I'm frothing at the mouth so what do I know.

I agree with you the Sony presentation left a lot to be desired, specifically games that can be in my grubby little hands on a reasonable time table. I really dislike the general industry trend to tease or reveal projects too early; I don't particularly care to wait 3-5+ years with the occasional updates. I think Fallout 4's reveal was expertly handled and I would like more companies doing so.

Butttt then there's Nintendo that show's a title card with the word 'Metroid' and I'm frothing at the mouth so what do I know.
I can kinda forgive Nintendo because they do have a holiday lineup so teasing a few games is not that terrible. Watching Sony's conference though was painful. Here are more looks at our games but we wont tell you when you can play them or if we do it's 2018. Seriously Sony, at least tell me what's coming out this year that I can spend money on. X-box was just as bad as Sony's conference. I would rather almost all games be like Fallout 4 or SW Battlefront 2. Gets announced this year and it's out this year. No waiting 3+ years to play a game and be disappointed.

So I bought that Crash remake because I never got a chance to try the Crash games. While the jumping is kinda wacky, I expected a good platformer and I received said good platformer. Can't argue about these games, they are pretty damn good even for 2017.

Sony hardly releases stuff during the holiday. Never understand why people expect that. Lets not forget the great first half of 2017.

Come the first half of 2018 people will again be like "omg stop sony, my poor wallet!"

I can kinda forgive Nintendo because they do have a holiday lineup so teasing a few games is not that terrible. Watching Sony's conference though was painful. Here are more looks at our games but we wont tell you when you can play them or if we do it's 2018. Seriously Sony, at least tell me what's coming out this year that I can spend money on. X-box was just as bad as Sony's conference. I would rather almost all games be like Fallout 4 or SW Battlefront 2. Gets announced this year and it's out this year. No waiting 3+ years to play a game and be disappointed.

So I bought that Crash remake because I never got a chance to try the Crash games. While the jumping is kinda wacky, I expected a good platformer and I received said good platformer. Can't argue about these games, they are pretty damn good even for 2017.
I'd like to pick the Crash trilogy up when it's less than $20. I'm really only interested in the second and third games.

Sony hardly releases stuff during the holiday. Never understand why people expect that. Lets not forget the great first half of 2017.

Come the first half of 2018 people will again be like "omg stop sony, my poor wallet!"
I think that's a good strategy on Sony's part. Let the third party companies release their games during the holiday season (like they always do), and then Sony comes in January / February of the new year with their exclusives. Exclusive or first party games should not compete directly with third party games.

Finally someone other than me said it. Sony needs to keep it diverse or they'll eventually become extinct from stagnation. They're relying far too much on indie to refresh gaming when they should be leading the charge. This is very much an 'all roads lead to Rome' situation and while I can't fault Sony for doing what they're doing, they're becoming complacent.

I feel like the problem is that artsy games and FPS don't sell well on PS4 so things like Last Guardian and Killzone, while appreciated by true fans, don't hit the mark. Meanwhile, story-crafted, over the shoulder games are all the rage; but what happens when "Assassin's Creed syndrome" kicks in? I'm already growing sick of the same exclusives and can't get excited for even Last of Us 2. These games, at their core, are still games no matter what feels-trip you throw on them. E3 was lethargic for it and I'm itching for a game to truly break the mold again.

I just hope Sony is still willing to take risks.

Indies has worked so well for them and was a big reason(at least according to many PS owners) why Sony was succeeding with the PS4, not sure how that hurts them.  Even MS is going the indie route it seems with their most recent E3 press conference.

Indies has worked so well for them and was a big reason(at least according to many PS owners) why Sony was succeeding with the PS4, not sure how that hurts them. Even MS is going the indie route it seems with their most recent E3 press conference.
My point is that Sony is becoming too homogenized in their lineup and complacency is what got them in trouble the first time. I love their games, but variety is the spice of life.

My point is that Sony is becoming too homogenized in their lineup and complacency is what got them in trouble the first time. I love their games, but variety is the spice of life.
This. All of this. Diversity generally leads to risk when it comes to business decisions, and it's not hard to understand why Sony seems reluctant to spend tens if not hundreds of millions on a bet that may not pay off. I'm thinking of your points earlier with The Last Guardian for example. Sony is likely in the red for that product due to it's long development time, and as you said, it not hitting the mark with the audience. In a modern gaming world where games take dozens if not hundreds of developers working for 2+ years, innovation is a risk and risks are expensive. Just my two cents.

In some ways I think a healthy Nintendo is exactly what this industry needs; it needs a company that marches to the beat of its own drummer and providing (perhaps smaller) gaming experiences that more people can enjoy. Not disposable/generic entertainment, but gaming that gives you that feeling of Oh this is something new.

Well, this sucks. This is now my third Dualshock 4 controller that is having problems registering a full analog stick push. And I take good care of my controllers. Hell, with this one I've only used it with Overwatch, Doom, and Resident Evil 7 to limit wear, and when I'm not using it I put it back in the packaging. The rubber on all my controllers are in perfect condition. Though I did play a lot of Overwatch.

I came up with a solution. I have a cronusmax, so I made a script that tells it to read a 50%+ push up on the left analog stick as a 100% push. I should also add the adjustment to right on the right stick to fix one of my other controllers.

I'll just need to always play with the cronusmax when 100% pushes are important. I played Final Fantasy XV fine with the controller with a bum right stick.

I heard the problem I was having with the analog sticks is probably caused by dust. I sprayed some dust spray into the crevices of the analog sticks, and now two of them are working perfectly. One of the sticks in the third controller is reading a full push to the left as a 99% push. I'll take it.

I didn't think dust was a problem because one of the controllers I was having issues with is one I would always put back in the packaging when I wasn't using it.

So, I forgot username to my online ID but I still have email. However, I can't access that email either. Yahoo doesn't recognize it.

I tried chatting with ps customer service. They require ps serial number. I provided the 11 digits but didn't include model number. They weren't able to match email with ps serial number. Do you guys think it's because I didn't include ps model number?

I read that the God of War will have some massive day 1 patches that, even with my decent 100 mbps down connection will probably take a bit to download due to network congestion. Does anyone know if there's a way to pre-load patches? 

I remember reading with update 4.50, you could pre-load patches but I can't really find any details on how this actually works or of it's only for digital releases. 

Is the hard drive physical proportions on a ps4 pro the same as a ps4 first version? Trying to but the 1tb from pro on regular ps4 and a 2tb I had purchased on ps4 pro.

Is the hard drive physical proportions on a ps4 pro the same as a ps4 first version? Trying to but the 1tb from pro on regular ps4 and a 2tb I had purchased on ps4 pro.

hello i am a new ps4  slim owner i have some questions like

1. why is the upload only 6 the highest u can get when i heard the ps4 has a gig port

2.   does the ps4 test the speed of dns insted of yr net connection ?

3. please let meknow fast i still have time to retun it if the ethernet ports borked or defective  thats what i suspect is wrong unless all ps4 have this wierd problem with the upload

Is the PowerA Dual Charging Station the closest the PS4 had to an official charger? I see a CUH-ZDC1 on eBay that seems to be "official" official, but the sellers want an arm and a leg for it. Was that one made for foreign markets?

bread's done
Back