PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

If the PS4 Pro doesn't have a UHD blu-ray drive then I'm going Scorpio.  I'm absolutely shocked they didn't announce this.  That to me means that the Pro doesn't have it.  WTF Sony

Confusing messaging for sure though. Some websites are reporting this is an add-on, meant to compliment all existing PS4 owners which is how I also interpreted it, especially since they doubled the GPU (or as PC users call it, SLI/Xfire). Meanwhile, some feel this is a brand new, sophomore attempt of the 2013 console. I'm still confused.

If the PS4 Pro doesn't have a UHD blu-ray drive then I'm going Scorpio.
There is no such thing as a UHD drive. Ultra-HD Blu-Rays are just normal Blu-Rays with additional layers, and higher restrictions for HDCP. The requirements that limit them have nothing to do with the optical drive, and everything to do with the security restrictions. The sticking point isn't the laser reading the disc, it's the HDMI 1.4 port on the machine, and the associated HDCP security restrictions. This is why it is possible for Sony to add HDR support to all existing PS4s through a firmware update. (which they announced at the press event)

As such, I think it safe to say that the PS4-Pro is going to support UHD Blu-Rays. It is almost certainly going to have an HDMI 2.0 port built-in, and if it has that there is nothing to stop it from supporting UHD Blu-Rays. It would be nice to get official confirmation of this, but I don't think Blu-Ray playback was what Sony wanted to focus the press conference on. Given the shift away from physical media, it doesn't surprise me that they thought it more important to focus on Netflix and YouTube support instead.

I meant 4k for movies and didn't feel the need to edit but thanks for the informative response.  The more I learn about 4k the better

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant 4k for movies and didn't feel the need to edit but thanks for the informative response. The more I learn about 4k the better
You may be right about the PS4-Pro not supporting Ultra-HD Blu-Rays though. The current word from most news sources is that Sony has confirmed that it won't be supporting 4K Blu-Rays. I'm not certain why this would be the case. With the rest of the 4K content support that the PS4-Pro is going to have, there is no chance that it isn't sporting an HDMI 2.0 port. They wouldn't be able to get 60fps gameplay without one. I can only assume that it is a matter of licensing. We will have to see how this news continues to develop.

Although if 4K Blu-Ray support is important to you, you don't have to wait for Scorpio. I believe the current Xbox One S supports 4K Blu-Rays.

You may be right about the PS4-Pro not supporting Ultra-HD Blu-Rays though. The current word from most news sources is that Sony has confirmed that it won't be supporting 4K Blu-Rays. I'm not certain why this would be the case. With the rest of the 4K content support that the PS4-Pro is going to have, there is no chance that it isn't sporting an HDMI 2.0 port. They wouldn't be able to get 60fps gameplay without one. I can only assume that it is a matter of licensing. We will have to see how this news continues to develop.

Although if 4K Blu-Ray support is important to you, you don't have to wait for Scorpio. I believe the current Xbox One S supports 4K Blu-Rays.
The Xbox One S does indeed support 4K Blu-Ray.

Sony just confirmed that the Pro however will not support 4K Blu-Ray. This is a massive let down as it was one of the main features I was looking forward to. If it doesn't make a major difference with the PSVR as in that I won't need to use the external power source, then I will still absolutely buy the Pro, but as it stands my interest has quickly dropped with the lack of 4K Blu-Ray support.

It's very odd. The XBox One S supports 4K Blu-Ray playback, but not gameplay in 4K. The PS4-Pro supports gameplay in 4K, but not 4K Blu-Ray playback. The Scorpio supposedly will support evertying, but we don't know when it will come out or how much it will cost.

All of this is just future-proofing on the part of Sony and Microsoft anyway. They don't want to go all-in on 4K support. They got burned more than a little bit when they jumped the gun on HD support, and got trounced by the underpowered Wii. They don't intend to stop selling the original models of their consoles, they just want to offer a premium model that people can upgrade to after they get a 4K display.

I wasn't planning on picking up either one until later. I don't have a 4K display, and don't intend to get one any time soon.

Yeah, I'm a little confused as to why the PS4 wouldn't support Sony's new 4k BD movies... I guess we'll see if that's correct when they release the official specs of the thing. It really doesn't matter to me since I don't have a 4K TV yet since I'm holding out for more 4K content, but still pretty odd.

The Pro does look like it has a rear USB, so that's pretty cool.

5d30493jpg-6d4605.jpg

I also like the look of the new headset. It looks like they're using better materials this time.

5d30497jpg-b4d585.jpg

It's official, the PS4 Pro does not do 4K BD, but it does upscale standard BDs to 4K. So weird...

Compatible 4K display required as well as subscription to 4K-compatible content streaming service. PS4™ Pro does not support 4K Blu-ray Discs. PS4™ Pro provides auto-upscaling for standard Blu-ray Discs. www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/ps4-pro/
Also, it does in face have a rear-usb, which I'm quite happy about.

PS4_Pro_rear_ports.jpg

Now it put in a hub and put the headset dongle and PSVR stuff in the rear. It would also be nice for if / when they add in external HDD support.

Amazing how many people all of a sudden care about 4k bluray..  I do think Sony made an error excluding it, just like they shouldn't have left optical off the slim.. these 2 features seem like they would cost next to nothing to have on the systems but it is what it is I guess.  For me personally, I couldn't care less about 4k bluray support since I own an Xbox One S but even if I didn't, I doubt I will ever use that feature as I haven't touched a physical movie in years.

Anyway got my preorder in at Best Buy, can't wait for November 10th.  Glad I sold my PS4 last month as resell values have plummeted, but it sucks going 3 months without a PS4 especially when I'll have PSVR sitting here waiting for the Pro.

guys...as usual I only post when I have a question. I currently have the original ps4 and like with my ps3 I am going to replace the hdd. I am thinking 2tb will serve my purposes. 

I thought there was a thread about this, but I may be mistaken...and I was unable to locate it if it does exist. can someone recommend, or tell me which drive they used to upgrade? I have read several articles, tutorials etc. one says go with seagate, then the next trashes seagate, etc etc. 

thanks. 

Amazing how many people all of a sudden care about 4k bluray.. I do think Sony made an error excluding it, just like they shouldn't have left optical off the slim.. these 2 features seem like they would cost next to nothing to have on the systems but it is what it is I guess. For me personally, I couldn't care less about 4k bluray support since I own an Xbox One S but even if I didn't, I doubt I will ever use that feature as I haven't touched a physical movie in years.

Anyway got my preorder in at Best Buy, can't wait for November 10th. Glad I sold my PS4 last month as resell values have plummeted, but it sucks going 3 months without a PS4 especially when I'll have PSVR sitting here waiting for the Pro.
There's always a market for videophiles.

guys...as usual I only post when I have a question. I currently have the original ps4 and like with my ps3 I am going to replace the hdd. I am thinking 2tb will serve my purposes.

I thought there was a thread about this, but I may be mistaken...and I was unable to locate it if it does exist. can someone recommend, or tell me which drive they used to upgrade? I have read several articles, tutorials etc. one says go with seagate, then the next trashes seagate, etc etc.

thanks.
Really it just depends on how much money you want to spend. Seagate is fine for an affordable drive.

thanks.
I used this. Granted it was cheaper when I purchased it, but it came with everything I needed including instructions.

https://www.amazon.com/OWC-2-0TB-Upgrade-Bundle-PlayStation/dp/B00PG5FHCU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473451329&sr=8-1&keywords=playstation+4+hdd

thanks.
I have a 2tb seagate hard drive in my system and it's been fine. Been 9 months now and no real issues

Wait what? I was going to buy the RE collection if it was on sale during BF but PS+ actually has a game I want?! I knew paying all those years of PS+ would finally pay off!

Lol but seriously, it's nice to finally see a return after all these years other than cloud saves and multiplayer.

I ended up canceling my PlayStation VR pre-order. I still think it's cool, but I don't play video games as much anymore and I don't know how many games are actually going to be released for the thing.

Any of you guys going to the PlayStation Experience in December? I cant convince any of my friends to go and am trying to find someone to share a hotel with.

So I had someone hack my psn account today. I had three emails about changing my email and such while I was at work. Got on chat and had it all taken care of. Apparently they changed my email for the log in, and created two sub accounts. Then used the sub accounts to purchase games with my psn wallet. They deleted and blocked the sub accounts and said I'll be getting a refund within a few days. Needless to say, after I got home, I set up 2-step verification. Seriously why would people do this? Thought I was gonna lose my account and all my digital purchases....

Anyone have any recommendations on trigger extensions? Just got a PS4 Pro and the triggers on the DS4 are too short. I had the same issue with the DS3 and had to get some trigger extenders.

Anyone have any recommendations on trigger extensions? Just got a PS4 Pro and the triggers on the DS4 are too short. I had the same issue with the DS3 and had to get some trigger extenders.
Not sure if they make them. I loved the trigger add ons for ps3. There is something called treads or something for the triggers, but I'm not sure it's the same thing.

I got the Pro during the Amazon sale, anyone else get one recently? Any thoughts? I haven't really messed with it yet. I don't have a 4k TV but happy to be ready for the future. Hopefully the improvements on PS VR and a 1080 are worth it for now.

With PSX just passing, anyone go? Any stories? Anyone have thoughts on games and announcements?

I'm excited for Crash, it looks better then expected. Besides the PSX Showcase, I didn't see many news stories from Psx.

Hey guys, just want to stop by and see if there was a consensus on CAG for the best 2 tb drives for ps4. I'm treating myself to the ps4 at Christmas and want to use more than the extra 1 tb I have out of the gate.  I see Seagate has the most popular options for 2.5" drives for the price but I just wondered how reliable they are since I've pretty much always used WD.  Thanks for any input!

Hey guys, just want to stop by and see if there was a consensus on CAG for the best 2 tb drives for ps4. I'm treating myself to the ps4 at Christmas and want to use more than the extra 1 tb I have out of the gate. I see Seagate has the most popular options for 2.5" drives for the price but I just wondered how reliable they are since I've pretty much always used WD. Thanks for any input!
I upgraded my hard drive twice. First time I upgraded the stock 500gb to a 1tb WD and my system moved REALLY fast (which I find out after the fact that that put my system at risk of burning out). I upgraded to a 2tb Seagate and can honestly say I've had no problems whatsoever. Think I paid about $80 for it.

I used the 2tb one in mine as well. Did it over a year and a half ago, no problems at all. If your installing to a fresh ps4, make sure you look up how to do it. It might be different. I gave that PS4 to my son and got a PS4Pro, I'll probably update to the same drive soon.

With that said it might be easier to install in a fresh system. Downloading everything again took while.

There are 50 Million PS4s in people's homes today. That's sold, not shipped. That seems really fast for only being 3 years old. 

155 Million - PlayStation 2

102 Million - PlayStation 

84 Million - PlayStation 3

PS4 pro is so hard to get in my country atm. If I haven't owned a PS4, should I wait to get the pro or just settle for the slim? I dont have a 4k TV or a HDR tv and dont plan on getting a new set in the near future.

There are 50 Million PS4s in people's homes today. That's sold, not shipped. That seems really fast for only being 3 years old.

155 Million - PlayStation 2

102 Million - PlayStation

84 Million - PlayStation 3
Even as a Nintendo gamer (we're vigorously debating the prospects of the Switch in the Wii U boards on CAG), hats off to the PS4 (I have a PS4 and a Wii U) - such a solid system with a great library of games. Sony did an excellent job this generation, and the upcoming games for 2017 and beyond look fantastic.

Easily play with my PS4 90% of the time. The Wii U sits there. Been gathering dust for months. Zelda will be the last hurrah.

I am having a weird issue with my ps4.

My ps4 is my main DVD/Blu player and i rent a lot of dvds from the local librarys. A few weeks ago I borrowed a movie (dvd) named Wiener Dog and put it in my PS4, it took me to the dvd menu, i hit play and then there was no video just audio. I took the dvd out looking for scratches or anything and it was clean. i then tried it in other dvd players around the house (ps3, xbox1) and it worked picture audio everything. I returned the dvd not being able to watch it and thinking it was just a weird issue with my PS4.

Now this week i went to different library and found a different copy of Wiener Dog checked it out and its doing the same thing (no picture on the PS4, working fine of everything else).

Is there something wrong with my PS4 (which i think just got out of warranty) or is there maybe something wrong with dvd copies of Wiener Dog? And is there any fix to this?

EDIT: It's not done this with any other titles and i rent a lot of movies from my local librarys

I am having a weird issue with my ps4.

My ps4 is my main DVD/Blu player and i rent a lot of dvds from the local librarys. A few weeks ago I borrowed a movie (dvd) named Wiener Dog and put it in my PS4, it took me to the dvd menu, i hit play and then there was no video just audio. I took the dvd out looking for scratches or anything and it was clean. i then tried it in other dvd players around the house (ps3, xbox1) and it worked picture audio everything. I returned the dvd not being able to watch it and thinking it was just a weird issue with my PS4.

Now this week i went to different library and found a different copy of Wiener Dog checked it out and its doing the same thing (no picture on the PS4, working fine of everything else).

Is there something wrong with my PS4 (which i think just got out of warranty) or is there maybe something wrong with dvd copies of Wiener Dog? And is there any fix to this?

EDIT: It's not done this with any other titles and i rent a lot of movies from my local librarys
That seems like a weird issue. Why not just watch the dvd in the ps3 or xbox1?

My family and I usually stick to digtial now days. So I don't really have much experience with the dvd/blu in newer systems. We actually use the Xbox for all of our non gaming needs, in the rec room that is. Xbox just has a lot more apps compared to PS4.

Seems like the new system firmware update is coming soon. Playstation has added some neat features in past updates. Anyone have predictions on what we see next? Seems most of the requested stuff has been released, like themes, background music,and folders.

Anyone want send me a beta invite?
Do you get additional invites for friends when you are admitted into the beta? or how else does someone have extra invites?

I wouldn't mind an invite too if someone has one, really need that external HDD support since my 2TB internal is almost full by now...

I could really use a ps4 beta firmware code for my ps4 pro if anyone can spare it. I registered for one last month but didnt get one as usual. Sucks because i really need it for the pro

Do you get additional invites for friends when you are admitted into the beta? or how else does someone have extra invites?

I wouldn't mind an invite too if someone has one, really need that external HDD support since my 2TB internal is almost full by now...
No, but sometimes people have extra (registered for beta under multple psnid)

But you can share the firmware via a burner account. Im in the list at GAF, but it takes a while.

I want that boost mode.

We could get a burner going here, but we need 1 guy with the firmware.

No, but sometimes people have extra (registered for beta under multple psnid)

But you can share the firmware via a burner account. Im in the list at GAF, but it takes a while.

I want that boost mode.

We could get a burner going here, but we need 1 guy with the firmware.
what do u mean by a burner account? Can the firmware just be uploaded to a dropbox or something and someone else can download it? I know how to update ps4 firmware by usb stick. Or is a burner account sonething else entirely?

what do u mean by a burner account? Can the firmware just be uploaded to a dropbox or something and someone else can download it? I know how to update ps4 firmware by usb stick. Or is a burner account sonething else entirely?
Guy with beta code logs on new account. Then deletes the account, then sends creds to guy without fw, they logon, get prompt to d/l firmware, d/l firmware, then deletes the burner and sends it to the next guy.

From GAF.

If you have an extra code, read this!!

Apparently, you can SHARE the firmware. You can create another account, put the firmware on there, then share the details of that account to other people so they can download it.

So you can still download the firmware, then pass it along.
This guy at gaf layed it out faq well. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229725255&postcount=3465

But maybe original guy needs an extra.

thanks hopefully u can get one and we can get a burner thread going.
I just d/l it via helpgaf.

If you have a neogaf account and would like in the beta PM me your gaf profile, ill send you the discord link via NeoGAF PM. You must have an active neogaf account or you cant take part.

I just d/l it via helpgaf.

If you have a neogaf account and would like in the beta PM me your gaf profile, ill send you the discord link via NeoGAF PM. You must have an active neogaf account or you cant take part.
no i dont have an account there. I think they just sat on my request from yrs ago. I dont even read their forums anymore lol

To expand on what Karekano126 asked:
Does the pro have faster load/download times and is it better for VR than the slim? I also don't have a 4K tv, and don't plan on buying one so I'm unsure of which to buy.

If developers use it, the VR games do look sharper on the PS4 Pro. The PS4 Pro is getting a boost mode for faster load times, but that shouldn't help download times. Developers can also give games an enhanced mode for 1080p games like FFXV.

The Pro also has a rear USB which would come in handy if you want to use an external hard drive when it gets external HDD support in the next update. (The Slim only has front USBs)

Even if you don't plan on buying a new TV now, I think there are benefits to getting a Pro, but it's not entirely necessary. It's up to you if it's worth the extra $100.

I've put off upgrading my PS4's drive since originally popping in a 750gb drive for the console's launch.  I suppose I'm glad I did wait since I already have two large external dives that will work great with this new update (which might be the best update has done for either the PS3 or PS4).  It'll be nice to have enough room for everything.  I plan to keep all my multiplayer/online games on the internal drive and everything else on the external.

Thanks KillerRamen. It definitely sounds likes it's worth the extra cash then, so I think I will go with the Pro.
I've waited this long so I don't mind waiting a bit longer for a sale, or just until I have a little more spending money.

bread's done
Back