PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='4thHorseman']Or Sony cam steal Microsofts thunder at E3 by showing their console too. Right now, Microsoft has no thunder.[/QUOTE]
It can be argued they haven't had any for a couple years now. ;)

[quote name='4thHorseman']Or Sony cam steal Microsofts thunder at E3 by showing their console too. Right now, Microsoft has no thunder.

I really hope none of you go into marketing.[/QUOTE]

after tonight sony don't have that much thunder not many must buy games was showing tonight.

[quote name='AugustAPC']Can anyone answer my question? Did they mention anything about the "no used games" rumor?[/QUOTE]

Yep:

h971FCF9E

Sorry, it's too good not to repost.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I am excited for the new consoles but I am also realizing the things I care about are not the things that are being focused on. ALL of the social stuff is not what I care about and even remote play does not interest me yet (it is a cool feature though). At this point I am happy with what I have and maybe summer/holiday 2014 I might be willing to buy the PS4.[/QUOTE]

agreed but i guess they have to add it to appeal to the xbox crowd.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Or Sony cam steal Microsofts thunder at E3 by showing their console too. Right now, Microsoft has no thunder.

This seriously.

People expecting a price are ridiculous. This is the company built on walking on stage and saying 299 and killing the competition. Sony isnt sega and the hubris is gone after they got their ass handed to them this generation.

How are they going to sell Ps3 new release games this fall and expect people to buy them at full price then rebuy them again for Ps4 at full price?

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']after tonight sony don't have that much thunder not many must buy games was showing tonight.[/QUOTE]

Yet here we are still talking about it, and talk will continue as they can gradually leak stuff as well. The only thing being said about Microsoft is "what are they going to do and when", and right now, they havent done anything worth talking about.

Ugh, I wish this happened a few days later when I wasn't busy but from what I've seen... it seems mostly good.

I'm not sure I care about all this sharing with friends crap. I don't think my friends will care to watch me play games all that much, nor do I want my friends playing my games for me.

The specs sound good and Killzone looks great (assuming it'll look better by the time it's launched). I'm not fully adapt with microprocessor technologies, but I'm wondering why they're using x86 though... doesn't that mean it's a 32 bit processor? Seems like everything 64 bit these days.

But I really want to know the status of BC. I can't possibly imagine Sony making the PS4 without at least PS3 BC. If there's no BC, then the system will have to be pretty cheap for me to consider it (as in $250 or less, which is definitely not gonna happen).

[quote name='lokizz']agreed but i guess they have to add it to appeal to the xbox crowd.[/QUOTE]

xbox people don't care about fb and twitter lol they even removed twitter from xbox. more like trying to get nintendo people

[quote name='4thHorseman']Yet here we are still talking about it, and talk will continue as they can gradually leak stuff as well. The only thing being said about Microsoft is "what are they going to do and when", and right now, they havent done anything worth talking about.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, 15 minutes later it is still being talked about. Sony is making waves baby!

Guys, tonight was about the hardware. E3 wills show more games. Everyone's copying the Apple model for maximum publicity and facetime (no pun intended).

the thing that puzzles me is that sony says they are trying to be number 1 again but they take ideas from nintendo. ps4 games on vita = wii u gamepad. The look of psn looks like xbox layout.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Yet here we are still talking about it, and talk will continue as they can gradually leak stuff as well. The only thing being said about Microsoft is "what are they going to do and when", and right now, they havent done anything worth talking about.[/QUOTE]

to be honest if xbox is showing before e3 microsoft will have all the hype going into e3. I really don't care who is winning as long as they are trying to beat each other it just means more great games for us players

[quote name='renique46']asses handed to them? the fuck?[/QUOTE]

Going from first to third place and having to take huge losses to make traction in the market means they got their ass handed to them. Also the software attachment rate being low means they werent recouping that initial loss.

It seems to me like they're just going to use a steam model applied to the PS4. Is the end of used games upon us?

[quote name='Malik112099']Yeah, 15 minutes later it is still being talked about. Sony is making waves baby![/QUOTE]

If you spend more than 30 seconds about things that dont interest you, then you have your priorities wrong. People could easily go "boring and not interested, goodbye" and be done with it. but even with the biggest complainers, theyll still be talkin about it

[quote name='AugustAPC']Can anyone answer my question? Did they mention anything about the "no used games" rumor?[/QUOTE]

While they didn't specifically answer this question, one can certainly infer that the only way to play old content on a PS4 will be via digital download through Gaikai's service. The PS4 won't have hardware BC so don't go selling your PS3.

Big events like this are honestly kind of depressing these days, because rather than being excited about something new, all of the kids on the internet bitch, moan, and "troll" gaming sites and forums.

I guess not being an asshole on the internet just makes me feel old.

If you're in marketing you should kill yourself to begin with.

[quote name='daphatty']While they didn't specifically answer this question, one can certainly infer that the only way to play old content on a PS4 will be via digital download through Gaikai's service. The PS4 won't have hardware BC so don't go setting your PS3.[/QUOTE]

I think the question is more about used PS4 games and if we can sell 'em after we beat 'em. Which wasn't mentioned at all. Not that I can blame them - something that would likely illicit negative responses from the community is best left hidden in a features doc or press release, not a media event.

As backwards compatibility goes, I was hoping for it, but not surprised we didn't get it. Including the cell architecture to enable PS3 BC would've been problematic. Hopefully the Gaikai aspect works well, in so much that I can put a PS3 disc in my console, and then play it through their system without having to buy it separately.

[quote name='polity']I wonder if it's time to put down the controller and pick up the keyboard...?[/QUOTE]

The PC kids can be just as bad, especially with all of the superiority nonsense.

I think it's just time to move to an island somewhere and subsist on live crabs and bananas. That or just avoid gaming journalism and public discussion.

[quote name='Jaggsta']this is gonna be pretty funny this fall with Ps3 releases then you have rebuy them for Ps4.[/QUOTE]

i will just buy the games on pc lol

[quote name='KrebStar']The PC kids can be just as bad, especially with all of the superiority nonsense.

I think it's just time to move to an island somewhere and subsist on live crabs and bananas. That or just avoid gaming journalism and public discussion.[/QUOTE]

most pc gamers are not kids lol kids don't bother asking their mother for 2000 doller computers

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']i will just buy the games on pc lol[/QUOTE]

Yeah LOL! Battlefield 4 is set for Ps3 release date same time Ps4 comes out not sure how that is going to work.

Much longer show than expected. Nice overall, very heavy lean on the games and how their features will interact with the new system. I didn't expect a price, surprised a little that we didn't see it, but that isn't a big deal in the least.

Aside from the social connections, which was pushed hard, we heard the word "download" a bunch. Nothing about a blu-ray drive or media capabilities. So I'm not 100% ready to believe this could not possibly end up as a pure digital device.

I think the thing I have learned tonight is that the current generation (360, PS3) may be the tipping point of diminished returns going forward. Yes the games looked better but Killzone was still just Killzone the same way Halo 5 will just be Halo. Watchdogs seems interesting and Destiny could be that big jump we have not seen yet (though DUST 514 is kind of similar) but otherwise it all looks like the same gaming we have been doing the last 3-4 years with just a shiny coat of paint. It pains me to think that developers consider adding more social connections is next step in gaming. I am not saying I know what that next step should be but having a friend virtually look over my shoulder is not it.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']most pc gamers are not kids lol kids don't bother asking their mother for 2000 doller computers[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of kids in PC gaming. They may not be as dominant as on PS3 or (especially) 360, but they are there, and they are the obnoxiously vocal ones.

On a related note, some of the most childish people you will ever meet will be 20 or older.

[quote name='KrebStar']There are plenty of kids in PC gaming. They may not be as dominant as on PS3 or (especially) 360, but they are there, and they are the obnoxiously vocal ones.

On a related note, some of the most childish people you will ever meet will be 20 or older.[/QUOTE]

I don't get the appeal of PC gaming. I have a computer that's fine for stuff and use it rarely to play a game but it's in my home office and if I have the sound up loud it will wake the kids up at night. I don't play it during the day because they're downstairs and I can't sit in the office for hours on end and neglect them. Do these "PC gamers that aren't kids" have their own kids? I don't think so...

From reading some of these responses, I swear its as if slidecage had some unexpected children and they somehow managed to infiltrate this thread.

Looks pretty good, but I probably won't get on the PS4 Bandwagon for a while after its release. Unless they release a game I HAVE to have and play at release. :lol:

Well, that was an interesting reveal. I was expecting them to show more, but I guess it's good that they got this social stuff out of the way before E3.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I think the thing I have learned tonight is that the current generation (360, PS3) may be the tipping point of diminished returns going forward. Yes the games looked better but Killzone was still just Killzone the same way Halo 5 will just be Halo. Watchdogs seems interesting and Destiny could be that big jump we have not seen yet (though DUST 514 is kind of similar) but otherwise it all looks like the same gaming we have been doing the last 3-4 years with just a shiny coat of paint. It pains me to think that developers consider adding more social connections is next step in gaming. I am not saying I know what that next step should be but having a friend virtually look over my shoulder is not it.[/QUOTE]

This is what I was telling my friend, and it's actually pretty common sense if you think about it. Gameplay and graphics really don't have that much further to evolve. The true evolution is going to be about what the console can do (in this case streaming, remote play, auto-downloads, sharing, etc). If anyone expects the Infamous or Killzone games to play drastically different than the PS3 versions just because they're on a new system, I think they're in for a letdown.

[quote name='Blaster man']I don't get the appeal of PC gaming. I have a computer that's fine for stuff and use it rarely to play a game but it's in my home office and if I have the sound up loud it will wake the kids up at night. I don't play it during the day because they're downstairs and I can't sit in the office for hours on end and neglect them. Do these "PC gamers that aren't kids" have their own kids? I don't think so...[/QUOTE]

I agree the moment I became a mom a lot changed and now playing games on my ps3 is much easier with the playpen in the living room.Much more so then trying to do it all in the bedroom/office. Though I can see how once you have older children in their teens it may be easier to have a dedicated office to use at night /shurg

[quote name='Sophita']I agree the moment I became a mom a lot changed and now playing games on my ps3 is much easier with the playpen in the living room.Much more so then trying to do it all in the bedroom/office. Though I can see how once you have older children in their teens it may be easier to have a dedicated office to use at night /shurg[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail right on the head. A dedicated office is a great retreat for parents when they need it. That being said, this current generation of soon-to-be parents are much more in tune with gaming so there's no reason to think that parents and children can't explore gaming together. That wasn't the case when I was a child, even though my own mother tried her hardest.

I updated the main page with all of the trailers. It's nice being to watch them again in much higher quality than the stream I was watching.

[quote name='4thHorseman']So again, pretty much everything and leaving little for E3? Its a smart move. Dont give Microsoft news that they can capitalize on. No specific date means Microsoft doesnt know if they will release first, no price means Microsoft doesnt know what price point to beat, and look of system...eh, not really sure there.[/QUOTE]

This is like giving MS more of a chance. By showing first MS can go with
- Going backwards would be a huge boost for MS, you wouldn't have to "re-buy" your titles. That shit just makes me want to go even more PC with steam (which I have to an extent)
- Letting us know how their online can be better or at least even
- Giving more beefy specs but not sure how late they can do in this game. We Know It's 8 gig DDR5?
- Show some nice first party titles and show their third party offerings as well. I think the Sony offerings were weak considering how much will be on PS3.
- It's out in Holiday 2013, so MS won't beat them early at this point that's true. If not very much. It just means MS has to have their system out by Novemberish.

Either way I'd say the conference was on par with Wii U offerings. The biggest question mark is still the price. How much are the digital re-buys? How much is the system itself? Is online still free?

It's hard to get excited for what was shown to me today. But at least we know one thing: It's coming out this year.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Much longer show than expected. Nice overall, very heavy lean on the games and how their features will interact with the new system. I didn't expect a price, surprised a little that we didn't see it, but that isn't a big deal in the least.

Aside from the social connections, which was pushed hard, we heard the word "download" a bunch. Nothing about a blu-ray drive or media capabilities. So I'm not 100% ready to believe this could not possibly end up as a pure digital device.[/QUOTE]

Pure digital device is my fear and about the only way they can get me to not buy it Day 1. I like having physical games I can collect (I collect more than play lately), sell if I don't like them or my backlog gets too long that I will never get to them, etc.

My number 1 hope is that CDs people said were going to go away and music would be just digital downloads over 10 years ago, and they're still here and even records making a reappearance in more recent years. Do more people buy music digitally? Sure they do, but there's still people like me who have never purchased a CD that was not available physically.

A whole lotta nothin' for me. The sculpting thing is cool I guess.

The Squeenix "announcement" made me laugh out loud. Really guys, you're going to show of the same goddamned trailer you did last year and then say you're making "a" Final Fantasy game? Ugh.

[quote name='Vinny']But I really want to know the status of BC. I can't possibly imagine Sony making the PS4 without at least PS3 BC. If there's no BC, then the system will have to be pretty cheap for me to consider it (as in $250 or less, which is definitely not gonna happen).[/QUOTE]

Confirmed no BC, able to stream PS1, PS2 and PS3 titles down the road via Gaikai.

bread's done
Back