PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Monsta Mack']
- Going backwards would be a huge boost for MS, you wouldn't have to "re-buy" your titles. That shit just makes me want to go even more PC with steam (which I have to an extent)[/QUOTE]

Not going to happen. Microsoft abandoned backwards compatibility long ago and then re-introduced it as digital downloads that you have to buy. Consumers followed that trail of bread crumbs so IMO, backwards compatibility is effectively dead come next gen.

- Letting us know how their online can be better or at least even

I think Sony still needs to show how their online service will be better than the current iteration of Xbox Live. It will be very difficult to determine how good Sony's service will be until it becomes available.

- Giving more beefy specs but not sure how late they can do in this game. We Know It's 8 gig DDR5?

I worked for Sony back when Microsoft announced the first Xbox. Certain members of upper management were furious that the PS2 didn't have an online component and work immediately began to augment the hardware for that purpose. The end result, as everyone knows, was quite lackluster. Proper planning makes a world of a difference. I doubt Microsoft would make such a mistake.

Well it's looking more and more like the Wii U will be my last new console purchase for quite a while. The thing that bothered me the most was the "goal" of all PS4 games being remote play compatible. That absolutely reeks of another empty promise but a bullet point that just has to be put out there.

[quote name='KrebStar']The PC kids can be just as bad, especially with all of the superiority nonsense.

I think it's just time to move to an island somewhere and subsist on live crabs and bananas. That or just avoid gaming journalism and public discussion.[/QUOTE]

time to bring out the physical board games...:bouncy:

I am very annoyed about this backwards compatibility thing. I mean I get the point of Gaikai but for me who lives out in nowhere, I don't have the internet to support streaming games because On Live doesn't work.

So unless Sony can pull some magic shit out of their hat, the PS4 has no interest to me at the moment. What's worse is every thing I saw out of this conference was look at the graphics not the improved gameplay :roll:.

Not to be the Sony hater, but the PS4 isn't the system for me right now. I will probably pick one up at some point for the Japanese games and the next Gran Turismo because god damn :drool:.

I wanna see how GT6 looks and how realistic they can manage it.

I'm really bummed by the lack of true backwards compatibility. This streaming idea sounds like it was designed only for Japan where everybody has super internet. And now I'm seriously wondering what I should do about The Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls. I have them pre-ordered, but what's the point of adding to a collection that will be obsolete so soon. Seriously, 1080p streaming of 20+ hour games? That's an absolutely horrible idea and is completely unrealistic for much of the world.

[quote name='trent82']I'm really bummed by the lack of true backwards compatibility. This streaming idea sounds like it was designed only for Japan where everybody has super internet. And now I'm seriously wondering what I should do about The Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls. I have them pre-ordered, but what's the point of adding to a collection that will be obsolete so soon. Seriously, 1080p streaming of 20+ hour games? That's an absolutely horrible idea and is completely unrealistic for much of the world.[/QUOTE]

Obsolete? Only if you get rid of your PS3. I don't know why anyone was expecting PS3 BC anyway, the changes in system architecture made it pretty clear it wouldn't be possible.

Enjoyed the announcement but I'm more interested in the further details such as the price of the unit and what games will be available at launch. As it stands I don't need to pick it up but that may change.

I will say I'm glad to see the changes for the controller, the added features for the Vita, and that Sony didn't forget about the Move controllers (well MM didn't forget about them).

[quote name='johnnypark']Obsolete? Only if you get rid of your PS3. I don't know why anyone was expecting PS3 BC anyway, the changes in system architecture made it pretty clear it wouldn't be possible.[/QUOTE]
True but what happens to our PSN Purchases? I mean it would suck having to have two systems around because I wanted to still play PS3, PS2, PS One games I bought or got free from PS+

[quote name='daphatty']Not going to happen. Microsoft abandoned backwards compatibility long ago and then re-introduced it as digital downloads that you have to buy. Consumers followed that trail of bread crumbs so IMO, backwards compatibility is effectively dead come next gen.
[/QUOTE]

It would suck but sounds plausible. I have a few games on demand/tons of XBLA titles, more interested to see if those are re-downloadable. But overall would still like full BC.

Funny how Nintendo may be the biggest supporter of BC. Wii U plays Wii games and you can re-download all your Wii Ware/Virtua Consoles titles.

[quote name='daphatty']
I think Sony still needs to show how their online service will be better than the current iteration of Xbox Live. It will be very difficult to determine how good Sony's service will be until it becomes available.
[/QUOTE]

Say what? I have both and I am trying to figure out how you can say that. While I may not like the new PSN interface, I cannot say that XBL is better. Different - yes, but not better. At this point I would say that PSN may have the slight edge if you are a true CAG due to one simple item - free online multi-player. Before I stopped playing on XBL I was always amazed at the sheer number of foul mouthed kids running rampant on there. Guess some parents think that it is a $50 baby sitter for a year.

In the value department, at the moment, PSN > XBL.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']It would suck but sounds plausible. I have a few games on demand/tons of XBLA titles, more interested to see if those are re-downloadable. But overall would still like full BC.

Funny how Nintendo may be the biggest supporter of BC. Wii U plays Wii games and you can re-download all your Wii Ware/Virtua Consoles titles.[/QUOTE]

wii U is the only one who stayed PPC to PPC.
Im 99.9 certain XBOX wont have it, even for digital titles, as theyre just IMG files of whats on the disc, theres no differentiation.

console.png

for those fearing that there would be no optical drive.

[quote name='johnnypark']Obsolete? Only if you get rid of your PS3. I don't know why anyone was expecting PS3 BC anyway, the changes in system architecture made it pretty clear it wouldn't be possible.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, and I'll take ease of development and knowing the thing won't be getting the short end of the stick on multi-platform titles because of weird proprietary hardware over BC any day. I magically have enough room to keep both the PS3 & PS4 connected to my TV. It's amazing, I know, but true!

I was not impressed by Sony. First of i did not like the way the controller looked. Some of the new features i have no use for, like your friends being able to take over your controls in the game that you're playing. Not for me.

I don't know. Just wasn't impressed by Sony...

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']True but what happens to our PSN Purchases? I mean it would suck having to have two systems around because I wanted to still play PS3, PS2, PS One games I bought or got free from PS+[/QUOTE]

Yeah I figured with the big push for PS+ making ps3 games playable on ps4 would be a priority so PS+ on ps4 would have a huge library of possible free games out of the gate.

I can't see many developers wanting their new full retail ps4 games to be free on PS+ for a while after launch.

Of course I'm assuming PS+ isn't going to drastically change from its current setup.

[quote name='ferant316']Pure digital device is my fear and about the only way they can get me to not buy it Day 1. I like having physical games I can collect (I collect more than play lately), sell if I don't like them or my backlog gets too long that I will never get to them, etc.

My number 1 hope is that CDs people said were going to go away and music would be just digital downloads over 10 years ago, and they're still here and even records making a reappearance in more recent years. Do more people buy music digitally? Sure they do, but there's still people like me who have never purchased a CD that was not available physically.[/QUOTE]It's already been confirmed that it will have a Blu-ray drive, so no worries.

[quote name='jmbreci']Say what? I have both and I am trying to figure out how you can say that. While I may not like the new PSN interface, I cannot say that XBL is better. Different - yes, but not better. At this point I would say that PSN may have the slight edge if you are a true CAG due to one simple item - free online multi-player. Before I stopped playing on XBL I was always amazed at the sheer number of foul mouthed kids running rampant on there. Guess some parents think that it is a $50 baby sitter for a year.

In the value department, at the moment, PSN > XBL.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention this doesn't even take into account for ps+

[quote name='waldo21212']Yeah I figured with the big push for PS+ making ps3 games playable on ps4 would be a priority so PS+ on ps4 would have a huge library of possible free games out of the gate.

I can't see many developers wanting their new full retail ps4 games to be free on PS+ for a while after launch.

Of course I'm assuming PS+ isn't going to drastically change from its current setup.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I thought Sony would be like hey look at PS+ you get all these great classic games free and in the coming months, PS4 content. It would of been a great hit, I would of imagined.

One thing I definitely like - headset jack on the controller. That means, I presume, that multiple local players can have headsets to chat. So they've fixed that shortcoming it would seem. Also it sounds like it can provide game audio too, which is an improvement over the Xbox 360.

[quote name='crunchewy']One thing I definitely like - headset jack on the controller. That means, I presume, that multiple local players can have headsets to chat. So they've fixed that shortcoming it would seem. Also it sounds like it can provide game audio too, which is an improvement over the Xbox 360.[/QUOTE]

If you like stereo audio lol.

[quote name='Scorch']Confirmed no BC, able to stream PS1, PS2 and PS3 titles down the road via Gaikai.[/QUOTE]

Ah... that's too bad. Guess I don't have to worry about trying to get one for a while.

[quote name='Barney']I was not impressed by Sony. First of i did not like the way the controller looked. Some of the new features i have no use for, like your friends being able to take over your controls in the game that you're playing. Not for me.

I don't know. Just wasn't impressed by Sony...[/QUOTE]

I agree about the controller... it looks like ass and I can't imagine what they'd use that tiny as touch screen for.

[quote name='crunchewy']One thing I definitely like - headset jack on the controller. That means, I presume, that multiple local players can have headsets to chat. So they've fixed that shortcoming it would seem. Also it sounds like it can provide game audio too, which is an improvement over the Xbox 360.[/QUOTE]

It's an improvement but don't understand the point of comparing it to the xbox 360. If the next Xbox doesn't have it, then I understand the comparison due to the same gen but no point in comparing it to the 360 in my opinion.

[quote name='edson13']for those fearing that there would be no optical drive.[/QUOTE]

You just saved me of a heart atttack. Thank you

Why would they waste money putting a headphone jack in the controller? Thats why there is Bluetooth.

[quote name='polity']time to bring out the physical board games...:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Now we're talking.

Not to mention, depending on who you're playing with, a little alcohol can lead to resolving deep seeded issues with any manner of physical contact.

Some thoughts:

-Apparently nearly every CAG out there went out and bought a 60gb PS3b when I wasn't looking, because I don't think I've ever seen such a sudden, passionate interest over BC in years.

-I'm watching the videos again without all of the artifacting and I can definitely appreciate the graphics alot more. Part of me says "this isn't much of a marked improvement over our current games", but then I remember the last generation, and arguably the generations before were pretty much like that too (especially in regard to PC games bridging the gap). Facial animation seemed to be the big draw in alot of the demos. The big question is "are we looking at target footage or realtime gameplay?"

-Alot of this "streamy-sharey" stuff they are hyping simply is not for me. I would have probably gone nuts for some of these features back in the day, but these days, I don't game enough to need to stream to a Vita or run a second screen or twitter a friend to help me shoot hitler in the face.

-Built-in move and touchpads are certainly nice features, but like sixaxis, I can't imagine they will take off. Ironically, you'd think the touchpad would've worked really well with a XMB-style interface...

-In the context of this being a first reveal, I think this was a pretty generous presentation. Some people seem to be upset that it wasn't a perfect storm of AAA titles, but that's generally not how these things go. I imagine E3 will be a pretty big event.

-Knack has a dumb name and a dumb-looking robot, but it does give off that same sort of charm that R&C/J&D/Sly/Crash etc. had, so I am actually kinda looking forward to seeing more.

[quote name='tylerh1701']This is what I was telling my friend, and it's actually pretty common sense if you think about it. Gameplay and graphics really don't have that much further to evolve. The true evolution is going to be about what the console can do (in this case streaming, remote play, auto-downloads, sharing, etc). If anyone expects the Infamous or Killzone games to play drastically different than the PS3 versions just because they're on a new system, I think they're in for a letdown.[/QUOTE]

Really? When I see an ad for game footage on tv it looks miserable. Red Dead Redemption. Watch Dogs looks less realistic than assassins creed 3. Arkham City is just shades of grey and uncanny valley characters.

Gameplay could certainly improve. Most PS3 games were basically Hold Forward, occasionally press X.
Frankly I'd be happy if load times were done away with, but no one seems interested in that.

I understand that sequels will not revolutionize gameplay, but emphasizing social features that don't improve multiplayer seems like misdirection.

My overall view of tonight...

• While I'm a little surprised by the lack of hardware itself being shown, it isn't really a negative. It will just be shown at E3 probably.
  • The Vita-PS4 connectivity sounds good but I want to hear more about it. Come on Sony. Make me want to buy a Vita.
  • None of the 3rd party games shown were announced as exclusive to the PS4 only. That leads me to believe that they will all be on the 720 as well.
  • No backwards compatibility hurts some buyers but I personally don't care about bc. I'm not surprised at all by the announcement. It seems like bc has become too expensive.
  • From what I saw tonight, I'm guessing that the PS4 will be $399/$499 and the controller will be $60 minimum.
  • I have almost completely lost faith in Square-Enix, and that kills me because they were great back in the Squaresoft days.

Well I was late in seeing it so here's my thoughts:

How do you announce a console and not show the console? Very odd. I personally am slightly let down by that but I'm more just embarrassed for them. It just seems silly.

8GB GDDR5....AWESOME. Really did not think this was going to happen at all.

The games shown were extremely underwhelming to me. Another Killzone (I loved the music though), some weird ass Infamous game that didn't look like an Infamous game, Media Molecule still trying to get me to make the games (how about you make a normal LBP that's not floaty, and I play it), Diablo 3? REALLY? Do not want. An old trailer from Square? Don't waste my time. I actually LOST interest in The Witness from that trailer. It just looked like a normal shitty puzzle game. I had about zero interest in any of them. By far my biggest disappointment was the games. No surprises.

The "phases" of the feature rollout of Gaikai: I figured this is how it would be but they're not going to sell consoles on their hopes and dreams. They have to get these games (PS2/PS3 at least) in the cloud and streaming sooner rather than later. Good luck with that.

Remote play: Again awesome but it has to work and hopefully it is immediate or very soon after launch.

Where's that Vita price drop?

The standby mode is obvious but should be a big improvement. Very glad to see it. Everything about it needs to be as fast as possible and they seem to understand that.

All this connected bullshit. GO AWAY. Spectate could be kinda cool though. Share button is dumb. Do I really need a dedicated button for that? No, no I certainly don't.

So backwards compatibility is for sure not going to happen? I've been in the market for a PS3 and I held out hoping the PS4 would be able to play PS3 games. I don't have the internet to stream games =/.

Anyway the PS4 sounds very interesting... can't wait for more details.

[quote name='4thHorseman']So again, pretty much everything and leaving little for E3? Its a smart move. Dont give Microsoft news that they can capitalize on. No specific date means Microsoft doesnt know if they will release first, no price means Microsoft doesnt know what price point to beat, and look of system...eh, not really sure there.[/QUOTE]

get that logical thinking outta here!!

Not a big Playstation guy, but I am pretty excited to see how the PS4 will turn out. I was hoping to see that they would get rid of the archaic left analog stick placement, but I can't complain until I hold the Dualshock 4 in my hand.

Anyone else think that Mark Cerny did an excellent job? Never really knew of him before, but he was the only one that I felt really cared about what he was talking about.

[quote name='whoknows']Anyone know where I can watch the conference? I missed it and it looks like gametrailers only has parts of it.[/QUOTE]

I dont have a link but I had watched it on the playstation website. The blog I think it was. It was pretty annoying trying to find a recorded stream but it's out there somewhere.

[quote name='ShockandAww']I dont have a link but I had watched it on the playstation website. The blog I think it was. It was pretty annoying trying to find a recorded stream but it's out there somewhere.[/QUOTE]

I'll look around the blog then. Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='AzGoat']can someone post or PM me a link to watch the replay? Thanks a ton[/QUOTE]

I think I just posted one that works. Sorry if not.

I think I finally caught up and honestly, the impressive hardware specs and neat features (besides the social networking shit they seem to want to shove down our throats) do have me interested... even if it means I'll have to keep my PS3 around. Arg... I'm still so peeved that they left out BC! I can't believe they did that!! I still don't buy the streaming thing. I think it'll be shitty, especially for those of us who have shitty interest connections.

E3 is going to be interesting this year. I'm guessing MS is saving it all for E3 while Sony's probably going to use some big time games (you know Uncharted 4 is gonna be shown) and will price the system in response to what MS does.

Yeah there's still a ton we don't know so there'll be a lot at E3 (assuming it isn't all leaked first). I hope to god there's some more interesting games than what was shown yesterday. I'm sure there will be, but I hope they're also at or extremely close to release.

As for not blocking used games I really didn't expect them to but am still very relieved to hear it from Sony. Now all I need to hear is that basic online play will be free and I'm on board.

As for Gaikai, anyone know what is preventing streaming of PS3 games to Vita? Why would they not try this before jumping into the PS4? I mean is it simply that Gaikai is not ready yet or is there some technical limitation on the PS3 that prevents it? As far as I know in a perfect world pretty much any modern device should be technically capable of the remote play/streaming, but maybe I'm not understanding exactly how it'll work.

[quote name='Vinny']I think I finally caught up and honestly, the impressive hardware specs and neat features (besides the social networking shit they seem to want to shove down our throats) do have me interested... even if it means I'll have to keep my PS3 around. Arg... I'm still so peeved that they left out BC! I can't believe they did that!! I still don't buy the streaming thing. I think it'll be shitty, especially for those of us who have shitty interest connections.

E3 is going to be interesting this year. I'm guessing MS is saving it all for E3 while Sony's probably going to use some big time games (you know Uncharted 4 is gonna be shown) and will price the system in response to what MS does.[/QUOTE]

i think microsoft will have a even before e3

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Why would they waste money putting a headphone jack in the controller? Thats why there is Bluetooth.[/QUOTE]

bluetooth mics are garbage i used it once and never used it again got a usb mic for my ps3

bread's done
Back