PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

At this point the confusion is over. Sony isnt going to do any online passes for 1st party stuff and they'll let 3rd party publishers do what they want. That's what all the clarifications say and that's what Jin Hejl told me twitter. It was hours later, he obviously waited to get confirmation and verify he could talk publicly. I like him and would hate for him to be the next Orth.

At this point the confusion is over. Sony isnt going to do any online passes for 1st party stuff and they'll let 3rd party publishers do what they want. That's what all the clarifications say and that's what Jin Hejl told me twitter. It was hours later, he obviously waited to get confirmation and verify he could talk publicly. I like him and would hate for him to be the next Orth.
Exactly. Now, Sony's not going to stop anyone from pulling an even worse version of the Arkham City "Online" pass bulltshit either. Makes it easier to avoid the publishers who pull that shit anyway.

With EA saying online passes are gone, Sony saying no 1st party games will have them anymore, Activision, Capcom, Rockstar, and a lot of others never touching them, I doubt online passes will be as prevalent as they have been the last few years on the PS4.

With THQ gone, so the only "major" publisher I can think of who still may use them is Ubisoft.

I wonder if the $399 price tag will force Nintendo to drop the price of their console, I can't see anyone buying Nintendo after this announced with a price tag of just $50 more than the Wii U and with no restrictions. If Nintendo kept up it would be a viable platform but its becoming pretty clear that their 3rd party support is not there even though they say it is. I love the idea of off TV play but all the games need to support it and they need to keep a steady stream of games coming.
Before Sony announced their $400 price (and I thought for sure they would be the same $500 as MS) I figured Nintendo was sitting pretty and didn't need any price drop. At this point, though, probably a $50 drop is plenty. You aren't comparing the base prices fairly there. The $350 Wii U includes a game. It is really $300 vs. $400 for an "equivalent" system (system, 1 controller, no game). Sure, the storage on the base Wii U is pretty weak but you don't need that storage for much beyond game saves and if you have to you can add cheap external storage.

And just remember the no DRM does mean that GameStop continues to rule a d rape developers :)
Except that MS's policies actually help Gamestop by removing the competition of people being able to sell their own used games (beyond the very restrictive one time sale to people on your friend list). You pretty much have to take them in to Gamestop to get any value for them. So in effect they are relieving the price pressure of the consumer-to-consumer used game market (eBay, Amazon marketplace, Cragislist, etc) on GS's used game business! The fact that this only applies to Xbox One games, though, will limit this effect. They can't price those games too far above PS4 equivalents.

Anyone know the difference between standard and launch edition on Amazon? Pre-ordered mine literally as soon as you could (had the page open while watching the live feed and refreshed right after price announced and ordered right then). Which at the time there was no different listings, and when I look in my order history it just says Playstation 4. 

My Xbone preorder does say day one edition.

Hopefully I have the launch edition for the ps4...

Exactly. Now, Sony's not going to stop anyone from pulling an even worse version of the Arkham City "Online" pass bulltshit either. Makes it easier to avoid the publishers who pull that shit anyway.

With EA saying online passes are gone, Sony saying no 1st party games will have them anymore, Activision, Capcom, Rockstar, and a lot of others never touching them, I doubt online passes will be as prevalent as they have been the last few years on the PS4.

With THQ gone, so the only "major" publisher I can think of who still may use them is Ubisoft.
Pachter talks about it a bit here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=duWAMT2gWFE#!

Anyone know the difference between standard and launch edition on Amazon? Pre-ordered mine literally as soon as you could (had the page open while watching the live feed and refreshed right after price announced and ordered right then).

Hopefully I have the launch edition for the ps4...
I wondered the same thing, then noticed this on Amazon's listing page for the PS4:

Product Alert
The standard version of the PlayStation 4 is identical to the Launch Edition. Due to high demand, we cannot guarantee Release-Date Delivery on the standard version of the PlayStation 4. We will deliver the standard version of PlayStation 4 as close to its release date as possible.

Quick question(s):

Does PSN games transfer over from ps3 to ps4? I don't have a ps3 and was thinking I'd sign up to get the free games on there and play them on ps4 when I get it.

I read that the free games are tied to your subscription so that if you become unsubscribed you can't access the games. However, if you sign up again are you able to replay/download all the games you were able to get while they were free again or are you sol?

i dont remember seeing the option for launch or standard yesterday when i pre-ordered. I'm assuming i got the launch since that is the one that is sold out?

Before Sony announced their $400 price (and I thought for sure they would be the same $500 as MS) I figured Nintendo was sitting pretty and didn't need any price drop. At this point, though, probably a $50 drop is plenty. You aren't comparing the base prices fairly there. The $350 Wii U includes a game. It is really $300 vs. $400 for an "equivalent" system (system, 1 controller, no game). Sure, the storage on the base Wii U is pretty weak but you don't need that storage for much beyond game saves and if you have to you can add cheap external storage.
I think Nintendo needs to do one of two things.

Get rid of Nintendoland in that bundle and sell it for $300. Or pack in a game that would actually entice some sales--maybe NSMB Wii, or if they want to really make a splash they could they could bundle Super Mario 3D World this fall and harken back to the SNES that launched with Super Mario World.

The only pass code I've ever thought was appropriate was the one for Alice: Madness Returns. It basically rewarded you for buying it new by giving you a whole other game with it (the original America McGees Alice) instead of taking some part of the game and removing it. Something like that I can get behind, why shouldn't you get something extra for supporting the publishers?

The only pass code I've ever thought was appropriate was the one for Alice: Madness Returns. It basically rewarded you for buying it new by giving you a whole other game with it (the original America McGees Alice) instead of taking some part of the game and removing it. Something like that I can get behind, why shouldn't you get something extra for supporting the publishers?
I thought Mass Effect was fine as well with the Cerberus Network code included with new games that gave you some DLC for free, and you had to pay $15 to get it if you bought used.

That, and your example, is the way to encourage people to buy new. Give extra content for free, some free DLCs (that people who buy used can still buy if they want) etc. Not locking huge parts of games like the MP.

Incentivize people to buy new, more than punishing people for buying used. MS should have taken a similar approach to get people to gradually shift to a digital game model--lower prices, earlier release dates, extra content etc. vs. the disc versions rather than forcing DRM on everyone.

I saw this comparison and it just hit me of how small the PS4 is. I mean, really... that's tiny compared to the X1 and current gen consoles. But the PS4 is also very deep (as in, from front to back). I wonder how good the ventilation is on this thing... all the vents are in the back, which might result in poor air circulation (ie, the hot air exits where the cold air will go in).

BTW, not sure if anyone saw this, but some guy made a 3D model of the PS4. It's really cool and lets you look at it from different angles.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/dive-into-the-playstation-4-hardware-with-this-interactive-model

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this comparison and it just hit me of how small the PS4 is. I mean, really... that's tiny compared to the X1 and current gen consoles. But the PS4 is also very deep (as in, from front to back). I wonder how good the ventilation is on this thing... all the vents are in the back, which might result in poor air circulation (ie, the hot air exits where the cold air will go in).

BTW, not sure if anyone saw this, but some guy made a 3D model of the PS4. It's really cool and lets you look at it from different angles.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/dive-into-the-playstation-4-hardware-with-this-interactive-model
Look very closely at the top and base and you'll see there's intake vents hidden along the valleys, much like a modern PC has forward and top vents. I really like this design because it creates a jet stream of air to cool and flushes hot air out the back as much as needed. The compactness of the design also creates a strong vacuum so hopefully keeps dust buildup at a minimum. I also like how they hid the power and eject buttons along the groove for the light bar ridge that cuts the system in half.

I'm really starting to fall in love with the form factor after being somewhat meh at the unveiling.

I pre-ordered two PS4 at amazon. Haven't talk to my brother yet but he would definitely want the other one after he see MGSV and FFXV. Can't wait!

Size comparison

3y2eqaba.jpg

Look very closely at the top and base and you'll see there's intake vents hidden along the valleys, much like a modern PC has forward and top vents. I really like this design because it creates a jet stream of air to cool and flushes hot air out the back as much as needed. The compactness of the design also creates a strong vacuum so hopefully keeps dust buildup at a minimum. I also like how they hid the power and eject buttons along the groove for the light bar ridge that cuts the system in half.

I'm really starting to fall in love with the form factor after being somewhat meh at the unveiling.
I see... but still, that seems kinda disproportionate if those tiny slots are intakes while there are gigantic vents as exhausts. Well, I'm sure they're taking that into consideration since they seem to be doing everything else right thus far.

I hope the system isn't too loud. I have a tiny room so I have to turn up the volume quite a bit to wash out the PS3's fans. I also hope it doesn't run very hot... I have a tiny room and get added heat due to peak-day/dawn sun. It's like a mini-incubator (seriously, the rest of our house is at 72F while my room is at 80F even without any console/PC usage:lol:).

But I do agree that the system's design is starting to grow on me.

The design of the ps4 is leaps and bounds above the xbox1. The more I see of it the better it looks especially side by side.

Leaps and bounds...really? Have you seen more than pictures?

For those that pre-ordered on Amazon. Launch and Standard are the same thing...If you pre-order now though with only "Standard" being the choice you might not get it at launch. At least from the wording on the website. I'm seeing the instant order update under launch since I ordered it pretty much right when it went up. They probably just don't want to get burned by not having enough at launch. Hope this helps.

I'll just leave this here. . .

www.gametrailers.com/videos/31clmf/e3-2013-e3-2013--when-press-conferences-collide

Hmmm, seems the auto-format for CAG is broken when linking GT videos. :\

I really like how small and sleek the PS4 is.  Will look nice in the TV stand next to the PS3 that I'll be keeping around while working through that backlog.

I'm sure this has been answered but are PSOne classics going to transfer over as they did on Vita?
I don't believe they will transfer in the traditional sense, due to the PS4's new architecture. When Sony launches Gaikai, I think you will be able to access your PSN purchases from the service and play them that way. Of course, that'll be done via streaming, rather than loading it from your console's storage.

Who knows how well it'll work but Sony seems dead set on it.

I can't believe the differnece in reaction to the PS4 vs. PS3... I think Sony may have another hit on their hands.

That said, with ecnomic conditions the way they are, this generation will be interesting to watch.

I think it would be wise for them to include PS1 emulation. I'm pretty sure they've mastered that by now. The PS2 and PS3 I realize are very different beasts.

just pre ordered myself a ps4 at best buy. They told me they already had about 80-something preorders for ps4 vs. less than 20 for xbox! That is amazing considering how the 360 outsold the ps3 in the US in sales figures every year. Looks like sony is back on top.

I don't believe they will transfer in the traditional sense, due to the PS4's new architecture. When Sony launches Gaikai, I think you will be able to access your PSN purchases from the service and play them that way. Of course, that'll be done via streaming, rather than loading it from your console's storage.

Who knows how well it'll work but Sony seems dead set on it.
It was a smart move because backwards compatibility is just something you can't sustain decades from now without this streaming tech. It future-proofs all consoles moving forward and allows people access to a gigantic catalog of classics easily. Diehard collectors can still hunt down their favorite games but those that just want to play games like Dark Cloud one afternoon can load it up and play. It's a win-win for everyone.

just pre ordered myself a ps4 at best buy. They told me they already had about 80-something preorders for ps4 vs. less than 20 for xbox! That is amazing considering how the 360 outsold the ps3 in the US in sales figures every year. Looks like sony is back on top.
I get the feeling PS4 has at least a 2:1 margin everywhere I look. I want PS4's success to punish MS in respect to their business and hardware approach, but I don't want them dead either.

I get the feeling PS4 has at least a 2:1 margin everywhere I look. I want PS4's success to punish MS in respect to their business and hardware approach, but I don't want them dead either.
The Xbox is going to be hurting. MS dominated the US and that's the only reason their sales are still about what the PS3's sales are worldwide. If they lose a third or a quarter of their US gamers then they're royally screwed. It's the equivelent of having maybe 80 million ps3's and 80 million 360's to......65 million xbox one's and 90 million ps4's. If they keep all their bad policies (and all signs point to yes), Sony could hit 100 million.

i dont remember seeing the option for launch or standard yesterday when i pre-ordered. I'm assuming i got the launch since that is the one that is sold out?
If there wasn't an option for a "launch" edition, you got the launch edition. I just chatted with an Amazon rep because I was in the same boat and she confirmed that I did, indeed, get the launch edition. You can double check by going back to the PS4 page and seeing if it shows "instant order update" at the top when you click on the launch edition.

The real one in trouble right now is Nintendo honestly because Ubisoft is going to be slowly pulling support from WiiU to focus on the next gen systems.

https://twitter.com/gibbogame/statuses/344692097741369345

If Ubisoft fully pulls out from WiiU development, then the system is done.

The real one in trouble right now is Nintendo honestly because Ubisoft is going to be slowly pulling support from WiiU to focus on the next gen systems.

Additionally, I think third party support will continue to decline because developers can easily make one game for both the PS4 and X1 without much work, since they're both x86 platforms and have very similar hardware. That's probably the big reason SE's games are going multiplatform (developed on PC, ported to PS4/X1). If they wanted to make a Wii U game, they'd need to re-tool it for PowerPC and downgrade the visuals.

But it seems like most Wii U owners are ok with 1st party titles. In the voting at most sites, the Wii U comes in 2nd to the PS4. They're going back to their N64/GC days though.

I don't think they'll cut the price though. They're still losing money on the console, appearantly.

Nintendo will be fine. The crossover of audiences is much less deadly to them than X1 vs PS4. They are mainly driven by big name 1st party titles, which they have a lot of coming out. The price drop will help too. They have a very successful 3DS to lean on too.

Because Ubisoft's presence on a system determines its viability? Who buys Nintendo systems for Ubisoft games? Pretty sure the 3DS would still be doing as well as it is without any Ubisoft games.

I went to that Nintendo E3 Experience event at Best Buy today. Lots of people showed up to try out the Wii U games. But nobody even bother inquiring about the Wii U or buying one during the 2 hours I was there. I did see lots of 3DS and 3DS XL owners. I don't think next gen consoles will kill the Wii U but the 3DS itself. People seem to be happy with the 3DS and you still get to play similar games on it as the Wii U (I'm one of them).

I doubt anyone is going to buy a WIi U right now for games that wont be out till October, November, December and 2014.

Its not shocking that no one asked or walked out with one.

But it seems like most Wii U owners are ok with 1st party titles. In the voting at most sites, the Wii U comes in 2nd to the PS4. They're going back to their N64/GC days though.

I don't think they'll cut the price though. They're still losing money on the console, appearantly.
Ranking the Wii U above the Xbox One doesn't say much. The Xbox One is horrible in many people's minds (rightfully so) and if someone thinks the Wii U is better than the Xbox One but doesn't buy either, that doesn't help Nintendo.

Nintendo will definitely need to drop the price of the Wii U close to the PS4 launch, I can't imagine many will want to buy a Wii U when the PS4 is only $50 more.

Eh I canceled my pre-order. PS4 will be the next console I buy, it just won't be this holiday because Knack & Killzone aren't enough.

I mean I have both systems Preordered at gamestop, to give sony a chance to find a reason that I MUST have this console. Here are my big beef's so far, anyone with some common sense can tell you that microsoft will just throw money at it until they get the best exclusives, I mean that is what they do, they do it with timed exclusives, and with actual exclusives, even Kingdom hearts, and Metal Gear Solid are coming to the Xbox One, I have seen MANY exclusives end up going to the 360, but not many vice versa, people can say a number like 14 in the first year all they want but until I actually see those games or know what games those 14 are, that is pointless to me. The consoles themselves regarding graphics and such are pretty much identical at this point, so there's no real selling point there, and I mean Microsoft servers have always been so much better (This isn't some random fanboyism, it's why live cost's $ but you get what you pay for, they use that money and it shows.) Not to mention this past gen, SOOO many games I have seen people say "Careful the ps3 version Bugs/Crashes/Glitches/ETC. now that isn't a knock against sony but more to the fact that for whatever reason sony ends up with the short end of the stick, and I don't want to sign up for the same experience alot of people had when they bought Skyrim for the PS3. The region free-ness seem's pretty cool, although I don't speak a scribble of japanese (zing!)

I have a PS2 and a PSOne that I use to this day, sitting right next to my 360, If I came off sounding a little biased It wasn't intended, I actually am pretty concerned for those point's I made.

I still think PS4 will get a majority of Japanese developed titles especially smaller rpgs like anything from Atlus or Namco.

The consoles themselves regarding graphics and such are pretty much identical at this point, so there's no real selling point there, and I mean Microsoft servers have always been so much better (This isn't some random fanboyism, it's why live cost's $ but you get what you pay for, they use that money and it shows.) Not to mention this past gen, SOOO many games I have seen people say "Careful the ps3 version Bugs/Crashes/Glitches/ETC. now that isn't a knock against sony but more to the fact that for whatever reason sony ends up with the short end of the stick, and I don't want to sign up for the same experience alot of people had when they bought Skyrim for the PS3.
Online multiplayer is now a pay service so it should be better on PS4. The PS4 doesn't have unusual system architecture like the PS3.

Sony seems to have fixed two major problems that plagued the PS3.

bread's done
Back