PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

No XBone in Africa or Asia. Among other things Microsoft's also racist.
They just don't give a shit about areas that aren't major profit centers. There's simply no way they can dominate this generation while simultaneously writing off so much of the world's population. China and India have massive populations and it is not hyperbole to say that millions of people move to the middle class in those country's every year and they're completely excluded. MS isn't forward thinking at all.

I think its been reported that they are holding back on X ones atm because they don't want to end up with a bunch of them sitting in warehouse not selling.

If they start to get a lot of pre-orders for X one im sure they will order more but from everything ive seen and heard, they arent getting a lot of interest in it right now.

And yes, they are on record saying they would take every PS4 if they could.

I think Gamestop is going to support which ever one sells better which atm appears to be PS4.
I was told by a GS employee that they will not have their used game trade in system ready by the time the X1 launches. Now, given that GS is the largest used game retailer, I take it to mean that MS hasn't figured it out how to implement it.

Honestly, I just don't get how MS could have fucked up so many things with the X1. I get that hubris seems to be rampant with every console maker's third console but they've have gone above and beyond any other console maker.

They need to bring back Kevin Butler....

Apparently, they settle the lawsuit so... hopefully, he comes back soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm favoring the PS4 too for all the same reasons, but I will say that the angled case is kind of stupid looking. Angled for the sake of being angled. Not that this is a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but still.
Also that gamerhorizon article is dumb: "We think we know". So basically it's all just a bunch of bullshit.
Well, the article does make for a good story either way. I can definitely see Sony psyching Microsoft out.
Do you really think multi-billion dollar corporations psych each other out? That they simply react like mindless zombies? That article is pure drivel, at best it is a poor editorial piece. It doesn't take a genius to see why Sony is kicking butt right now.

Sony had a plan in place from the day PSN got hacked. They have worked hard towards earning back the trust of hardcore gamers. They initiated the PS+ program as an olive branch to gamers. PS+ has proved to be a huge success for Sony and it will become a big money maker for them this gen. Microsoft on the other hand for over a decade has tried to create the ultimate entertainment device much like Sony tried to do with the PS3. The X1 offers more than gaming. They are going hard not only after the casual gamer but the folks who have no interest in gaming. They want the X1 to become the main entertainment hub in your living room. M$ thinks that they can accomplish this objective this gen, only time will tell.

PS4 is everything that a gamer could or would want hence why IMO Sony will dominate the hardcore gaming community. That said, the X1 could prove to be more successful with the casual and non gaming community.

The one good thing about the Xbone is that you can play games without the disc in, yet there is some way to also trade-in/sell these games, which is better than a normal download which can not be traded at all. But it requires all this 24 hour checkin nonsense. I don't think that's a good tradeoff.

Now, if they add the ability to play offline forever with the disc in, AND they set game prices significantly lower than PS4 because of all the extra revenue they bring in (which they don't appear to be doing), then they could start building a compelling case for the design.

The one good thing about the Xbone is that you can play games without the disc in, yet there is some way to also trade-in/sell these games, which is better than a normal download which can not be traded at all. But it requires all this 24 hour checkin nonsense. I don't think that's a good tradeoff.

Now, if they add the ability to play offline forever with the disc in, AND they set game prices significantly lower than PS4 because of all the extra revenue they bring in (which they don't appear to be doing), then they could start building a compelling case for the design.
I don't see the no disc thing as anything more than a useless convenience. Are people seriously so lazy they can't walk to their console and switch games, if so then I don't even know what to say to people like that.

However if they priced their games lower I would definitely sway more in favor of MS. This of course will not happen but we can always dream. The whole this scheme will make games cheaper in the long run is a ridiculous concept imo. I don't even think it will cut down on nickel and diming DLC.

I'm favoring the PS4 too for all the same reasons, but I will say that the angled case is kind of stupid looking. Angled for the sake of being angled. Not that this is a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but still.
Also that gamerhorizon article is dumb: "We think we know". So basically it's all just a bunch of bullshit.
Well, the article does make for a good story either way. I can definitely see Sony psyching Microsoft out.
Do you really think multi-billion dollar corporations psych each other out? That they simply react like mindless zombies? That article is pure drivel, at best it is a poor editorial piece. It doesn't take a genius to see why Sony is kicking butt right now.

Sony had a plan in place from the day PSN got hacked. They have worked hard towards earning back the trust of hardcore gamers. They initiated the PS+ program as an olive branch to gamers. PS+ has proved to be a huge success for Sony and it will become a big money maker for them this gen. Microsoft on the other hand for over a decade has tried to create the ultimate entertainment device much like Sony tried to do with the PS3. The X1 offers more than gaming. They are going hard not only after the casual gamer but the folks who have no interest in gaming. They want the X1 to become the main entertainment hub in your living room. M$ thinks that they can accomplish this objective this gen, only time will tell.

PS4 is everything that a gamer could or would want hence why IMO Sony will dominate the hardcore gaming community. That said, the X1 could prove to be more successful with the casual and non gaming community.
Art of War. Yes I do believe it very possible.

Any rumors (or speculation) regarding the PS4 release date?
I'd put money on a very late October release. We should know soon since that's only about four months away.

That map is awesome; blue world. Of note, Poland is not on the map for Xbox Done, which you might notice is home to CD Projeckt Red (Witcher). Guess which system Polish gamers will be getting this year. :lol:

Any rumors (or speculation) regarding the PS4 release date?
I'd put money on a very late October release. We should know soon since that's only about four months away.

The good news is that the pre-orders are on the books and this lets them know the minimal amount of consoles that they will need for launch day. It was smart for Sony not to mention a release day. If you lock in a release day, and you have X amount of pre-orders you run the risk of not being able to fulfill the pre-orders. Because we're doing the pre-orders so early, they have plenty of time to know almost exactly how many consoles they will need at launch and they can push the date back to meet the need accordingly. They have about 4 months to produce as many PS4s as they possibly can, for UK and US. Sony did mention that they are going to focus on these two "competitive" markets first, and that was a smart strategy as well.

That map is awesome; blue world. Of note, Poland is not on the map for Xbox Done, which you might notice is home to CD Projeckt Red (Witcher). Guess which system Polish gamers will be getting this year. :lol:
They are apparently an extremely anti DRM game maker as well which I found pretty amusing while reading an article about how their own game can't be played on XBone in their own country because of DRM.

Just realized this will only be the second launch console I've ever bought.

The first? Dreamcast.

Havent been this excited about a console release since then, hopefully it turns out way better over time than that one did....

I don't see the no disc thing as anything more than a useless convenience. Are people seriously so lazy they can't walk to their console and switch games, if so then I don't even know what to say to people like that.

However if they priced their games lower I would definitely sway more in favor of MS. This of course will not happen but we can always dream. The whole this scheme will make games cheaper in the long run is a ridiculous concept imo. I don't even think it will cut down on nickel and diming DLC.
It's not like Sony can't offer the benefits of a no disk based system, if you have a digital copy and a friend wants a match and you accept it pauses the game and switches automatic, if not then it prompts you to grab the disk, if you have a disk based game in already then you won't be able to return to that game after the match and will have to save first. Little annoyances like these and competitive pricing to entice a digital purchase.. I really think Sony is really going to push digital downloads this gen to get everyone on board for what is the inevitable future. Not crowbar it in like Microsoft.

I hope it doesn't take long to get Gaikai up and running.  Don't want a PS3 at this point with a new system coming out but do want to try out some of the games I've missed that weren't on Xbox 360.  

I also wonder if this will be a library like Netflix where you pay one price or if you pay for each individual game..should be fun to learn more details about it.

Yeah, KB is awesome. I doubt it will happen though. The lawsuit was just Sony being a dick and the actor probably isn't on good terms with Sony at this point.
You wouldn't expect to see Nathan Drake (in any shape or form) in a commercial using a Wii, would you? Sony owns the rights to the "Kevin Butler" character. Jerry Lambert used the Kevin Butler character in another commercial (using a competitor's product nontheless) without their permission.

They weren't being dicks. Any company would have done the same thing.

You wouldn't expect to see Nathan Drake (in any shape or form) in a commercial using a Wii, would you? Sony owns the rights to the "Kevin Butler" character. Jerry Lambert used the Kevin Butler character in another commercial (using a competitor's product nontheless) without their permission.

They weren't being dicks. Any company would have done the same thing.
They were being dicks because it wasn't KB. The character was just some goofy guy. Plus, it was the same actor. Tons of actors just play the same role over and over again with little to no difference.

gamestop has a prorder bundle with ghost in it so i really think ps4 will either be late oct or same week or day as ghost

so does x1 

There's a bunch of new PS4 bundles available at Amazon and Gamestop now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMQTVQO/
http://www.gamestop.com/ps4

I'm leaning towards pre-ordering either the Killzone/PS Plus bundle or the Watch Dogs bundle.
So these are going to be launch editions as well on Amazon.
I was hoping they would have a PS4 + camera + game bundle for $500. As it is, I'm just going to pre-order the regular PS4 for $399 (plus that damn tax) and then wait a couple of weeks to see what games will be available/deals they have. The bundles aren't actually saving us any more.

There's a bunch of new PS4 bundles available at Amazon and Gamestop now.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMQTVQO/http://www.gamestop.com/ps4

I'm leaning towards pre-ordering either the Killzone/PS Plus bundle or the Watch Dogs bundle.
So these are going to be launch editions as well on Amazon.
I was hoping they would have a PS4 + camera + game bundle for $500. As it is, I'm just going to pre-order the regular PS4 for $399 (plus that damn tax) and then wait a couple of weeks to see what games will be available/deals they have. The bundles aren't actually saving us any more.
Your right, but they usually set aside a specific number of consoles specifically for Bundles only. So it could be the difference between launch day or waiting for most people.

Anyway, I do recommend getting an extra controller before they become impossible to find.

I don't think the camera is necessarily a must have accessory at this point, aside from some probable PSN games, I don't see anything that uses it right now.

Yeah, he wasnt playing Kevin Butler, lol.
Yeah but it's not like Jerry Lambert has to put on makeup or anything to look like his character Kevin Butler. And when he shows up in another commercial excited about playing the Wii, well let's just say I can see the conflict of interest. Here's the commercial:

http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/151958/Bridgestone-commercial-Kevin-Butler-becomes-VP-of-Betrayal/
lol. what the fuck do you want him to do, wear a prostetic mask? he looks like kevin butler because THATS WHAT THE ACTOR LOOKS LIKE. its astonishing how Rambo and Rocky Balboa look the same! ZOMG

so you basically cant sell/trade a X1 cause of the required online checkin every 24 hours right?
You mean the console itself? There are rumors floating around since someone asked the question about being able to sell their used Xbox One console and MS' response was along the lines of "We do not have any information on this right now".

I'm not sure how they could lock the console itself down though, I would think at worst case the main account tied to it would have to be sold with it, assuming you can't do some sort of hard reset.

so you basically cant sell/trade a X1 cause of the required online checkin every 24 hours right?
No. You can't sell/trade XbOne games because they force you to register the game on your account before being able to play it and once it's registered no one else can re-register it without you losing access to the game. The 24 hr checkin is to prevent someone from selling a game that's installed then never going back online so they can "keep" the game.

You mean the console itself? There are rumors floating around since someone asked the question about being able to sell their used Xbox One console and MS' response was along the lines of "We do not have any information on this right now".

I'm not sure how they could lock the console itself down though, I would think at worst case the main account tied to it would have to be sold with it, assuming you can't do some sort of hard reset.
The thing about that: You could sell your console with your account on it but not give out your password and they could then have that content AND you could still have it on another console so long as you're logged in when playing it.

I meant the actual console. I dont plan on buying one, was just wondering.
You can sell the console. There's no way they can stop you from doing that no matter what they say. As I said in another thread, if they were able to pull that off then you wouldn't own anything - even companies making the clothes on your back would make it a "license". After all, what company wouldn't love to prevent people from reselling their products?

You can sell the console. There's no way they can stop you from doing that no matter what they say. As I said in another thread, if they were able to pull that off then you wouldn't own anything - even companies making the clothes on your back would make it a "license". After all, what company wouldn't love to prevent people from reselling their products?
I put "sell/trade" cause im slightly confused about this "online only" thing. Like would gamestop be able to re-sell it? Does the system have to check in online for it to work or just for a game to play?

I put "sell/trade" cause im slightly confused about this "online only" thing. Like would gamestop be able to re-sell it? Does the system have to check in online for it to work or just for a game to play?
I guess I"m getting a bit confused about your questions now. You can completely clear your profile off the console.

Found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r19ys9zoWIE#!

The thing about that: You could sell your console with your account on it but not give out your password and they could then have that content AND you could still have it on another console so long as you're logged in when playing it.
Doesn't the mandatory 24 hour check-in defeat that loophole? Once they see those games attached to more than one xbox for the same account, whether with password or not, something is going to happen.

KISS ( Keep It Simple Stupid) I am a devoted 7 YEAR! xbox360 microsoft slut, and I am in disbelief that MS pulled this card, they are literally setting there own fate which is absolute failure, any "CONSOLE GAMER" knows that this is just an out right SLAP to the consumers face, and if you can not see this well my friends your just another of societies puppet. 

Apparently, there was a huge jump in developers on the PS4 from 126 back in Feb to 505 post-E3.

It's directly from Sony so there's a chance the numbers aren't completely honest, but still... it's good to see that developers also like the system. I'm sure the really big developers will be on both systems, but smaller developers are never a bad thing.

Other good news: 30 1st party games in development, of which 12 are new IPs, and 20 of those 30 will be out within a year of release.

I'm sure there will be delays, but even if Sony can release 10 games in the first year, that would be a incredible.

Apparently, there was a huge jump in developers on the PS4 from 126 back in Feb to 505 post-E3.It's directly from Sony so there's a chance the numbers aren't completely honest, but still... it's good to see that developers also like the system. I'm sure the really big developers will be on both systems, but smaller developers are never a bad thing.Other good news: 30 1st party games in development, of which 12 are new IPs, and 20 of those 30 will be out within a year of release.I'm sure there will be delays, but even if Sony can release 10 games in the first year, that would be a incredible.
10 games in a year - that aren't also on the PS3?

Apparently, there was a huge jump in developers on the PS4 from 126 back in Feb to 505 post-E3.It's directly from Sony so there's a chance the numbers aren't completely honest, but still... it's good to see that developers also like the system. I'm sure the really big developers will be on both systems, but smaller developers are never a bad thing.Other good news: 30 1st party games in development, of which 12 are new IPs, and 20 of those 30 will be out within a year of release.I'm sure there will be delays, but even if Sony can release 10 games in the first year, that would be a incredible.
10 games in a year - that aren't also on the PS3?
The release seems to be exclusively about the PS4 and says "Out of over the 30 titles under development, 20 titles will be available within a year from the PS4 launch" so I'm guessing they're PS4 titles (or possibly, PS3 and PS4). Of course, this definitely includes download only PSN titles so that probably bolsters the number a bit.

And I only said 10 as an example since delays and strategic release dates happen (ie, moving titles out of the holiday season). If they're planning on 20, I figure that at worse, they fail to deliver on half of them. And so many first party titles in one year is pretty amazing... and third party support is only going help that number.

Lets just hope they actually deliver though. We've seen great launches go south before...

I went to Best Buy today, they had PS4 & X1 available for preorder $25 down, GS had 2 X1's left & 21 PS4 left, $100 down. I was shocked Bestbuy had both systems available for preorder and GS still had over 20 PS4's available, and when I was at each store someone was preordering a PS4 ahead of me. It seems that Sony may have a huge number of systems ready for launch.

I am an xbox gamer that is converting (like many) to PS. I really want to play a lot of the PS3 games but want a PS4 too. I can't decide if I should start stocking up on cheap PS3 games to eventually get a PS3 or if I should just hold off and see how the streaming service is on PS4 for the past gen games. What is the general consensus here in regards to that? Just trying to get a feel for what other people in my situation are doing/thinking?

I am an xbox gamer that is converting (like many) to PS. I really want to play a lot of the PS3 games but want a PS4 too. I can't decide if I should start stocking up on cheap PS3 games to eventually get a PS3 or if I should just hold off and see how the streaming service is on PS4 for the past gen games. What is the general consensus here in regards to that? Just trying to get a feel for what other people in my situation are doing/thinking?
Hold off. Unless the games go out of print, you'll most likely be able to get them cheaper at the time you actually buy a PS3. Also, I can see GS selling PS3's pretty cheap once the PS4 releases. And then there's always Gaikai, which if priced right, could result in you not even having to buy a PS3.

I went to Best Buy today, they had PS4 & X1 available for preorder $25 down, GS had 2 X1's left & 21 PS4 left, $100 down. I was shocked Bestbuy had both systems available for preorder and GS still had over 20 PS4's available, and when I was at each store someone was preordering a PS4 ahead of me. It seems that Sony may have a huge number of systems ready for launch.
They do have the advantage of not having announced an exact date. They can build to preorders and release when they cover the preorders and more. Of course they will want to release around the Xbox One if not maybe the week before so they can't wait too long.

Apparently, there was a huge jump in developers on the PS4 from 126 back in Feb to 505 post-E3.

It's directly from Sony so there's a chance the numbers aren't completely honest, but still... it's good to see that developers also like the system. I'm sure the really big developers will be on both systems, but smaller developers are never a bad thing.

Other good news: 30 1st party games in development, of which 12 are new IPs, and 20 of those 30 will be out within a year of release.

I'm sure there will be delays, but even if Sony can release 10 games in the first year, that would be a incredible.

This is something people clearly didn't get. I specifically remember hearing this during their presser, but all I've haerd MS fanboys say is"Well MS has more exclusives right now and ps4 people will only have a few and multiplats". I'm not sure what's with the confusion, but it seems like people think just b/c MS actually showed more exclusives then they must have more... While the truth of the matter is completely opposite. Didn't MS come out and say they had 12 1st party games in development? Or am I pulling that number out of my ass?

They do have the advantage of not having announced an exact date. They can build to preorders and release when they cover the preorders and more. Of course they will want to release around the Xbox One if not maybe the week before so they can't wait too long.
I'm of the mind that Sony hasn't announced yet b/c they want to go 2-4 weeks before MS. Has MS hammered down the actual date yet(officially)?

I mean, no used games restrictions, $100 cheaper, and 2+ weeks of a headstart just seems like an even bigger recipe for success and is an aggressive stance that we just aren't used to seeing from Sony. As a lifelong fan I'm definitely loving it, though. :)

bread's done
Back