PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
never understood why people like cross game chat so much
Me either. Especially when there are these devices that exist called phones.
Because it is awkward to talk on the phone and play a game at the same time... If you don't use a headset for your phone that is. Which I don't, I just am weird like that I guess.

Edit:

also this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmeiT1C9PJQ

^wont let me post video itself, just link.
Of course you would have to use a headset. I mean, you have to use one while gaming, so what's the difference? I guess it has it's uses but I don't think it's as big a deal as some make it out to be. I use a (pulse)headset while playing online, I don't feel the need to contact other friends or whatever while playing... I sounds distracting to me.

Of course you would have to use a headset. I mean, you have to use one while gaming, so what's the difference? I guess it has it's uses but I don't think it's as big a deal as some make it out to be. I use a (pulse)headset while playing online, I don't feel the need to contact other friends or whatever while playing... I sounds distracting to me.
Phone headsets are annoying. Also considering you will use minutes like crazy if you were to try and cross game chat with people on the phone. 3-way calling is also a limitation. Cross Game chat will be awesome if they implement it right, ie. Xbox live parties. 8 people in one room just talking about games and life. It is pretty much can work as an advertising scheme in itself.

Example: you pick up the latest greatest game, your friends don't have it, you rant and rave about it during chat, and then your friends buy and process repeats.

It is a good way to get word of mouth advertising in effect. Just saying.

Very interesting episode of Invisible Walls this week.  If you have 20 minutes to sit down and watch, highly recommend checking it out for some information on X1.  The arguments about Kinect were especially enlightening.  I certainly wasn't swayed one way or the other, but it's nice to arm yourself with industry knowledge and try to understand the 'other camp' as it were.  Really love this show for the unbiased conversations that don't live inside the bubble that fanboi's preside in.

Sounds like next week they will be digging into PS4; should be very interesting.

Phone headsets are annoying. Also considering you will use minutes like crazy if you were to try and cross game chat with people on the phone. 3-way calling is also a limitation. Cross Game chat will be awesome if they implement it right, ie. Xbox live parties. 8 people in one room just talking about games and life. It is pretty much can work as an advertising scheme in itself.

Example: you pick up the latest greatest game, your friends don't have it, you rant and rave about it during chat, and then your friends buy and process repeats.

You can do8 person chat on the vita.

Only use I see for it is in MP games that don't have chat natively.

Aaaaand... I'd never use that. Ever.

If I'm playing a game and want to tell one of my friends about it or just talk in general I'll shoot them a text or PM. Everyone in my inner circle all lead busy lives, we're almost never on at the same time unless we plan ahead to play a specific game together.

You can do8 person chat on the vita.

Only use I see for it is in MP games that don't have chat natively.
I thought that was the case, guess they're just catching the rest of the PS brand up.

lol I dont want to hear someone blabbering about the new game they just bought WHILE playing it WHILE having a chance to spoil it WHILE im trying to enjoy whatever im playing. 

lol I dont want to hear someone blabbering about the new game they just bought WHILE playing it WHILE having a chance to spoil it WHILE im trying to enjoy whatever im playing.
Then don't use the feature, lol.

Some of us, myself included, like to be able to play whatever we want and still be able to chat with friends, without using phone minutes.

Very interesting episode of Invisible Walls this week. If you have 20 minutes to sit down and watch, highly recommend checking it out for some information on X1. The arguments about Kinect were especially enlightening. I certainly wasn't swayed one way or the other, but it's nice to arm yourself with industry knowledge and try to understand the 'other camp' as it were. Really love this show for the unbiased conversations that don't live inside the bubble that fanboi's preside in.

Sounds like next week they will be digging into PS4; should be very interesting.
Yeah, Invisible Walls, Final Bosman, and Annoyed Gamer are all great shows on GT. I haven't checked this episode out yet, will check it out now, thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Just watched it, man the Xbot wearing google glass looking like milky from me myself and irene was so damn annoying, he epitomizes everything wrong with Xbox fanboys.

Cross game chat is off topic? It is on the ps4
He's referring to all the deleted posts about cell phone plans. And now we're back off topic.

I'm still not sure if I'll keep my launch preorder or not. Maybe I'll decide once the actual launch lineup is made more clear. I think Knack looks really cool, but I don't know if it's cool enough to make me get a system day one.

Then don't use the feature, lol.

Some of us, myself included, like to be able to play whatever we want and still be able to chat with friends, without using phone minutes.

I use the xbl party feature alot. For MP games we go into our own party so we don't have to hear the other team at all.

Hopefully something similar is in the PS4. Me and a bunch of guys from work are planning on getting a bunch of MP games.

I use the xbl party feature alot. For MP games we go into our own party so we don't have to hear the other team at all.

Hopefully something similar is in the PS4. Me and a bunch of guys from work are planning on getting a bunch of MP games.
Exactly another point that I missed. (Also if H-Hour gets going for the PS4, this will be perfect for that!)

I think Sony has mentioned this already but this is a more in-depth article about it:

20 Exclusives, 12 New Franchises Coming to PlayStation 4 in Year One

"There’s a lot going on, it’s just that we need to keep stuff back."
by Luke Karmali
June 24, 2013

Sony's first-party studios have 30 games in development for the PlayStation 4, 20 of which are due to release within a year of the console's launch and 12 of which are new franchises.

That's according to Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO Jim Ryan, who told Gamereactor at E3 that more titles would be unveiled at Gamescom.

"At the event in New York on February 20 of this year, we showed a lot of software," he explained. "We showed a lot of first-party software. What we did at E3 here was really show some updates to those games, and, as you mentioned, introduce The Order: 1886. There’s a lot coming.

30 games in development. 20 of them are going to ship within the first year of the console’s life, and of those, 12 are new IP.

"I’m sure you heard from [SCE Worldwide Studios boss] Shu [Yoshida] that he has—just his studios—he has 30 games in development. 20 of them are going to ship within the first year of the console’s life, and of those, 12 are new IP.

"So there’s a lot going on, it’s just that we need to keep stuff back. We’ve got Gamescom for us Europeans—we need to have something to show at Gamescom, don’t we?"

At the moment, the first-party exclusives we've seen for the PlayStation 4 are DriveClub, Knack, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Infamous: Second Son and The Order: 1886. It sounds like this list will grow following Gamescom, which is taking place between August 21 and 25.

When Microsoft announced the Xbox One last month, the company revealed it would be releasing 15 exclusive games for the console in the first year, of which eight would be new franchises.

I'm hoping for at least one or two more exclusives at launch. While I know there's definitely a game or two I'm picking up, only one of them will be first party exclusive. I think they need to do just a little bit more to solidify that launch day lineup.

I just preordered a ps4 but its only hdmi, could i use my xbox setup which uses a computer monitor via vga cables and component for sound.Would i have to buy a new tv?

Because it's an important social function. When I'm at my PC I'm typically always in a call with friends on skype or other voip software. When I use my 360(yes I'm a PS4 convert) I tend to be bs'ing about life with friends on there, and It also makes it easier to organize a group when we are trying to play a game together. It's a great feature and I'm happy to see it being implemented. If you're a solitary kind of gamer it's not like you're going to be forced to talk to people constantly as you eluded to in one of your other posts.

Hopefully Sony announces a new God of War game at Gamescom for PS4.
Oh God, please no...

This last one was underwhelming, and even III felt a little off to me. The formula has been used, over-used and then used again into oblivion.

Unless they branch away from the main series with spin-offs and really change a lot to add something fresh(not tacked on MP) to the gameplay, I hope the series is done. I've had enough of Kratos, and continuing the franchise is only wasting valuable Sony Santa Monica dev time that could be used for something much better.

I just preordered a ps4 but its only hdmi, could i use my xbox setup which uses a computer monitor via vga cables and component for sound.Would i have to buy a new tv?
The specs stated that there will be a multi-av out (probably the same one that PS1, PS2, and PS3 use), but PS3 doesn't support VGA so I doubt PS4 will.

You can get a LCD monitor with HDMI (or DVI, they are interchangeable) pretty cheap. You should be able to get a 1080p, 21.5 inch monitor for under $100. I wouldn't suggest buying a cheap LCD TV, monitors tend to be much higher quality.

Oh God, please no...

This last one was underwhelming, and even III felt a little off to me. The formula has been used, over-used and then used again into oblivion.

Unless they branch away from the main series with spin-offs and really change a lot to add something fresh(not tacked on MP) to the gameplay, I hope the series is done. I've had enough of Kratos, and continuing the franchise is only wasting valuable Sony Santa Monica dev time that could be used for something much better.
I'm a huge GOW fan and I agree, I'd like to see a new IP from Santa Monic Studio instead of a 5th GOW.

Unless they want to make a new GOW Vita game, then maybe I'd be cool with another one.

I'm a huge GOW fan and I agree, I'd like to see a new IP from Santa Monic Studio instead of a 5th GOW.

Unless they want to make a new GOW Vita game, then maybe I'd be cool with another one.
Same here, I was a really big fan but I started to get bored about halfway through 3. Ghost of Sparta brought me back, but now they've taken two steps back with with Ascension(still a good game, but just not great like previous iterations). SSM really know how to make great games, hopefully they are at the helm of one of those new IP.

Regardless, I'm really looking forward to hearing about what else will be heading our way launch day/window.

GoW was stale after the first game and never really upped the ante other than graphics. Sorry, this is one franchise that needs to be put to rest. I want to see some new IPs again.
The game is still fun, but damn, has it been over killed, it's probably on par with Mario games:

God of War Collection - Nov 17, 2009 (2 games)

God of War III - Mar 16, 2010

God of War Origins Collection - Sep 13, 2011 (2 games)

God of War: Ascension - Mar 12, 2013

6 games in under 3 1/2 years, even though 4 of them are HD remakes, if you hadn't played them before they were new to you. I think a sequel could be good if they got rid of the linear path and made it open world like Assassins Creed, it would freshen the series up quite a bit.

The game is still fun, but damn, has it been over killed, it's probably on par with Mario games:

God of War Collection - Nov 17, 2009 (2 games)

God of War III - Mar 16, 2010

God of War Origins Collection - Sep 13, 2011 (2 games)

God of War: Ascension - Mar 12, 2013

6 games in under 3 1/2 years, even though 4 of them are HD remakes, if you hadn't played them before they were new to you. I think a sequel could be good if they got rid of the linear path and made it open world like Assassins Creed, it would freshen the series up quite a bit.
Come on now, counting re-releases against a series is just bullshit.

I wish they'd just reboot the series. New character, new mythology, new gameplay, but keep enough to make it feel like GoW in some way. Let a new developer have some fun with it. Then again, I'm one of those "crazy people" that didn't explode in a rage of vomit and tears at DmC.

Come on now, counting re-releases against a series is just bullshit.

I wish they'd just reboot the series. New character, new mythology, new gameplay, but keep enough to make it feel like GoW in some way. Let a new developer have some fun with it. Then again, I'm one of those "crazy people" that didn't explode in a rage of vomit and tears at DmC.
This. Totally this. You could even stay with the Greek Mythology theme, and just make it at least partially open world, freshen up the combat and do away with the whole "losing power, gaining power, leveling up meters" thing. Throw a skill tree in there. Anything. But yes, do away with Kratos(possibly the most one-dimensional character of the past 10 years), and give us someone new. Either way, I hope it's another 3-5 years before we see anything else from the franchise. Six(seven if you want to count Betrayal) games in eight years has definitely made the series stale... Especially since they've changed almost nothing.

Aside from that, I really want to know more about these new IP... The Order looks great for not really knowing anything about it.

Maybe they could make 300 the videogame. :lol:

cefec9c4c7e29f56e51288e188299c74.gif

So, I've never owned a Sony console besides a vita that I hardly touch. Do you guys think the PS4 will have a digital library with AAA PS3 games like uncharted and god of war?

So, I've never owned a Sony console besides a vita that I hardly touch. Do you guys think the PS4 will have a digital library with AAA PS3 games like uncharted and god of war?
Well, we all aren't totally sure what's going to be going on with the Gaikai streaming thing... Will it be some sort of a subscription plan? Or will it be a game by game type of deal? Regardless, I think that the answer is yes, but it may be a year or two down the road after launch. I expect these types of things to be pushed hard during E3 next year.

All the feedback on Ryse from E3 is that the game is trash. Typical Crytek: all show and no go.
i played ryse at e3 it's a great game can't wait to play it in nov. yes its alot of quick time events but with that said game play is pretty fun.

so you give random people on internet your cell phone number?

some people make gaming friends who are not personal friends and enjoy talking to them when not playing same game. i know i have had people i have knowing on xbox live since 2002

so you give random people on internet your cell phone number?

Yeah, nice try. There's a difference between being okay with swapping numbers with 10-15 people that you've known for x amount of time on your friend list and just posting it for whomever to have in your user info or on an internet forum. The people I would want to talk with outside of a normal game session are people that I have either known for years through gaming or in real life. So yes, naturally, they all have my cell number.

might i add group chat is also great when you play mp games and annoyingpeople are talking or game chat has issues which happens alot on games like bf3 and cod. 

all ask for in ps4 network is great party chat and able to invite people to your games without adding them to your friends list which was the dumbest thing ever on ps3.

why am I not shocked you'd be defending Ryse, lol.
did you your self play the game? if not you can't judge on what you read yes the game is not mind blowing and no it's not really open world but it's fun for what it is if this wa a ps4 game i would say it's good also it's not great but it's good whati played

Cross game chat is important to me.  I have a lot of friends from real life that are on XBL (who live out of town) and it's just a lot easier to talk on party or cross game chat compared to using phones, especially when 3 or 4 of us get on.  No doubt that it's not a huge deal or selling point, but it is a big deal to me at least.

Hopefully Infamous: Second Son comes out somewhat close to launch.  As someone that's never played the Infamous games, it looks sick.

Cross game chat is important to me. I have a lot of friends from real life that are on XBL (who live out of town) and it's just a lot easier to talk on party or cross game chat compared to using phones, especially when 3 or 4 of us get on. No doubt that it's not a huge deal or selling point, but it is a big deal to me at least.

Hopefully Infamous: Second Son comes out somewhat close to launch. As someone that's never played the Infamous games, it looks sick.
Agreed. It looks far more interesting to me than the first two games.

Agreed. It looks far more interesting to me than the first two games.
I would agree except I recently just popped in the Infamous 1 that I got free from the network outage, and now I wonder why I didn't play it sooner. It is a lot of fun. Going to dive in to the second one soon, and can't wait for the Second Son, the destructible environments, other super powers, and jaw dropping graphics, really wish it was there at launch!

You guys are missing out. infamous is a great game. Also I disagree about GoW Ascension MP being tacked on. Its deeper than people give it credit for. Its inevitable for every franchise to become stale. If it weren't for the MP, the game would be bad to me.

bread's done
Back