PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

IDK what to tell you guys other than some days PSN drops me a lot and then some days not at all. As for the DL rate, my PC has zero issues getting things fast but PSN is just throttled at a slower speed. Played shooters, MMOs, etc for years here on PC and no consistent lag/disconnect issues unless it's a shitty server so it's definitely not on my end. So based on personal experience over the last five years, when I'm even using my PS3, it has not been what I'd consider up to standards.

Yeah, that's just the same pillow talk we all heard. I'd like more concrete details.
I have the same issues with PSN. Any time there is a game update it takes sometimes over an hour for a simple, small download whereas for Xbox or DLing anything on PC I don't have a problem with speeds. Doesn't matter if the update is new or has been out for awhile. Same goes for downloading my old digital games from PSN. It used to be decent for me a few years ago, circa 2008 but over the past 2 years it's been nothing but a headache. I've had 3 different ISPs and it's always the same. It's gotten to the point where I just switch over to the xbox to play something while the PS3 downloads the update for whatever. This issue and having to hold a controller for dance games are literally the only two issues making me hold on to my Xbox1 preorder.

I have the same issues with PSN. Any time there is a game update it takes sometimes over an hour for a simple, small download whereas for Xbox or DLing anything on PC I don't have a problem with speeds. Doesn't matter if the update is new or has been out for awhile. Same goes for downloading my old digital games from PSN. It used to be decent for me a few years ago, circa 2008 but over the past 2 years it's been nothing but a headache. I've had 3 different ISPs and it's always the same. It's gotten to the point where I just switch over to the xbox to play something while the PS3 downloads the update for whatever. This issue and having to hold a controller for dance games are literally the only two issues making me hold on to my Xbox1 preorder.
That's pretty interesting, I hardly ever have to wait for anything unless it is around 1GB or more. For instance, I downloaded a full game this past Thursday around 6GB in just about an hour. Updates are almost always a breeze for me unless its 4-5 updates at once and, again, 800+ MBs. Unless, of course, on Tuesday nights whenever the store update goes live... That's a completely different story. It could have something to do with your internet or router settings. I randomly started having a problem for a few months last year, and after tinkering around with things in my connection settings, I finally found that changing my DNS Servers around fixed everything and I haven't had an issue since.

As for your other issue, it's rumored that the new Eye doesn't require a controller for games like that. It's got two cameras now and has improved body tracking along the lines of what Kinect does now... So that's something to definitely look out for.

Last edited by a moderator:
ion

7) what kind of external hard drive it supports if any: again, completely superfluous at this point. 500GB will be plenty for a while. This might be an issue 1-3 years down the road. It is certainly not something that would effect my decision on getting either system in the slightest.

if you download the ps plus games 500 gb's can be gone pretty fast

sounds like a personal problem, cause I dont get constant disconnects (except on mvc2) nor slow download speeds.
i test psn vs live servers alot for heck of it and when i download 2 gb demo on xbox live i do it in 10 mins on ps3 it can take close to 30 mins if not more.

PSN downloads are fairly slow for me too, relative to downloads on my 360 that's plugged into the same router or my pcs using its wifi. Not awful or anything, but noticeably slower.

With game updates the biggest issue is how many games get updates that are a few hundred megabytes whereas it's rare for a 360 game to ever get a 100 mb+ update, with most just being small updates that download and install in a minute or two.

Hopefully the update sizes where due to the PS3's unique/complicated architecture and they'll be smaller now that the PS4 is on the x86 standard. And hopefully more PS+ subs due to it being needed for online will help them have more/better servers and speed up download speeds.

That's pretty interesting, I hardly ever have to wait for anything unless it is around 1GB or more. For instance, I downloaded a full game this past Thursday around 6GB in just about an hour. Updates are almost always a breeze for me unless its 4-5 updates at once and, again, 800+ MBs. Unless, of course, on Tuesday nights whenever the store update goes live... That's a completely different story. It could have something to do with your internet or router settings. I randomly started having a problem for a few months last year, and after tinkering around with things in my connection settings, I finally found that changing my DNS Servers around fixed everything and I haven't had an issue since.

As for your other issue, it's rumored that the new Eye doesn't require a controller for games like that. It's got two cameras now and has improved body tracking along the lines of what Kinect does now... So that's something to definitely look out for.
Yeah, I saw the rumors that the eye won't require the controller for games like that, but since the GF -has- to have her dance games, I have to hold out until it's confirmed :(

Regarding the download speed issues, I've gone through different routers, different settings and everything else I could think of (including having switched to a better provider) and nothing has made it any better. I really am looking forward to some of the PS4 games so I hope the network speeds are improved upon.

Definitely want to play Planetside on my TV and really am looking forward to The Order as well as hoping Titanfall comes to PS4. I don't play JRPGs or many western RPGs so none of that interests me in the slightest.

I'm another 360 supporter that wants a PS4 now. I feel like it's too late to get a PS3 so I hope they get backwards compatibility or Gaikai working sooner rather than later and have a decent library of games that I've missed out on. Sony seems to have fixed most of their mistakes now while Microsoft is heading in a bad direction with TV/Kinect.
+1 same exact boat as you. I mostly want the exclusives on Gaikai like Uncharted trilogy, GOW series, and Thei Last of Us. Never could afford having two systems so going with Sony this generation.

PS4 internal HDD is users upgradeable if anyone is concerned the included 500gb HDD is not enough. The PS3 supported external hdd so there is a strong chance that PS4 will do so too. Also it is not a 100% guarantee yet but current Turtle Beach headsets as of right now should work on the PS4, this is according to Turtle Beach themselves. However madcatz fightstick will not work on the PS4, this news sucks for me, but the new TE 2 fightstick does look really nice.

I get that some things wouldn't work, but you'd think most everything would be able to carry over for PS4.  I mean, it already had bluetooth built in and none of the input connections are going to be different as far as we know.  I'll be a little upset if the Pulse headsets don't carry over, it's the only reason I'm waiting to buy one of the Elite's right now.

As I have stated previously in another thread. The PS4 would definitely allow external HDDs considering they have USB 3.0. Why would you waste money on the tech if you can't use it properly? (You would only need 2.0 to charge anything)

PS4 internal HDD is users upgradeable if anyone is concerned the included 500gb HDD is not enough. The PS3 supported external hdd so there is a strong chance that PS4 will do so too. Also it is not a 100% guarantee yet but current Turtle Beach headsets as of right now should work on the PS4, this is according to Turtle Beach themselves. However madcatz fightstick will not work on the PS4, this news sucks for me, but the new TE 2 fightstick does look really nice.
PS3 external hdd support is only for media though - I wouldn't expect to be able to install/play games from an external HDD on the PS4, since the PS3 didn't support that.

ion

7) what kind of external hard drive it supports if any: again, completely superfluous at this point. 500GB will be plenty for a while. This might be an issue 1-3 years down the road. It is certainly not something that would effect my decision on getting either system in the slightest.

if you download the ps plus games 500 gb's can be gone pretty fast
I have a 750GB in my PS3 with pretty much every PS+ game and lots of PSN purchases going back 5 years downloaded and have plenty of space left. And in any case, there won't be 500MB+ worth of stuff for PS+ on the PS4 for a few years. And that was my point - thus why I included the text "500GB will be plenty for a while. This might be an issue 1-3 years down the road.". But I guess even though you quoted that part you didn't read it ;). The point was that it is not a critical issue that they need to give all the details about before launch.

I'm another 360 supporter that wants a PS4 now. I feel like it's too late to get a PS3 so I hope they get backwards compatibility or Gaikai working sooner rather than later and have a decent library of games that I've missed out on. Sony seems to have fixed most of their mistakes now while Microsoft is heading in a bad direction with TV/Kinect.
You should look for a deal on the PS3 and get it. Will probably be cheaper to buy one than to pay for the Gaikai service. There will still be good games coming out for it for some time.

Boom! (not sure if this was written before the 180 by MS but I still wanted to post it :razz:)

wsjms8.jpg

^ I wonder if that was written before the DRM reversal. If it was after, I'd still agree since PS4 is $100 less, has better specs, PS+, and Xbox still has a mandatory Kinect.

sounds like a personal problem, cause I dont get constant disconnects (except on mvc2) nor slow download speeds.

I never get disconnects or lag, but I occasionally do see slower download speeds. Especially on Tuesdays after the store update when the servers are getting hammered. But yeah, services aren't nearly as bad as some make them out to be.
having both systems hooked up identically (Ethernet cable) I have downloaded the same demos on both consoles and Xbox 360 downloads are faster by a lot not just by a few seconds add in the installation after the download and the difference is close to night and day

Usain Bolt, the world's fastest man, has made it clear he's got Sony's back in the next-gen console race and is well and truly behind the PS4 ahead of its release at the end of the year.

The world-famous athlete was in France ahead of the Paris Diamond League, where he will race on Saturday 6 July, and Pocket-lint got a couple of minutes with the Jamaican superstar at a Samsung press event promoting its NX cameras.

When we asked Bolt whether he used any tech or apps to train outside of his team's supervision, he casually replied with a grin: "When I'm by myself all I do is just play video games. That's not ideal most of the time."

We pressed for more to see if Bolt was excited about the Playstation 4 vs Xbox One head-to-head at the end of the year.
"Yes, definitely."
And which one will he be buying?
"PS4. I'm a PS fan, definitely."

So there we have it. But will Sony's next-gen console be as fast as Bolt out of the starting blocks when it goes on sale against the Xbox One ahead of Christmas 2013? We'll have to wait and see.

- http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/122175-usain-bolt-on-ps4-vs-xbox-one-ps4-i-m-a-ps-fan#

:)

Playstation TV

Thought you guys would be interested in this.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/06/sony-submits-trademark-application-for-playstation-tv

Thanks, but nope. I have a cable box for that.
I don't think Playstation TV is like the Xbox's TV feature. More like exclusive content created by Sony for the Playstation console streamed over the internet. They did this with the PS3 (Qore, Pulse, Tester, etc...).

Sony Pictures CEO Michael Lynton announced tonight that the company is bringing a brand-new and original programming plan to the PlayStation 4.

He explained that this content has been tailored and selected specifically for gamers, though he did not reveal any details concerning what the content may be.

More details will be announced soon, he said.

- http://www.gamespot.com/e3/sony-pictures-bringing-original-programming-to-ps4-6409666/

I thought they touched on that at E3? Not quite to the extent of XB1, but I specifically remember terms like "payment plans" & "exclusive content" being thrown around.

I have comcast internet and I download everything a lot faster now. My old internet would take me 3 hours to download 750mb. Now it only takes me 15-20 minutes. My TLOU download took around 3-4 hours to download.

2 new exclusive games rumored to be coming to PS4.

Also Andrew House did an interview on the PS4 with the Guardian, July 3rd.

With the Xbox One, Microsoft committed the cardinal sin of introducing unnecessary complications (such as the now-rescinded need to go online every day), whereas with the PS4, Sony kept it simple from the off. House contends that that approach extends beyond gamers to developers (who famously found it tricky to get to grips with the PS3's programming demands, as he tacitly acknowledges): "I see our approach on PS4 as really taking Sony Computer Entertainment back to our original roots."

"When we first launched with the PS1 and certainly the PS2, the goal was to give the consumer more choice, and lots of flexibility at a time when the delivery mechanism of games, on cartridges, placed a lot of restrictions on the industry. And also, by shifting to disks, to give developers – and particularly smaller ones – the chance to take risks and build a business. I think you're seeing exactly those kinds of principles applied to PS4."

"There's consumer flexibility. We have a camera which will build some great consumer experiences, especially when it's used in conjunction with the Dual-Shock 4, but we're not mandating that, or forcing that purchase on the consumer.

"Secondly, we have a new development environment, that developers are telling us is significantly easier to make great games for, and we've undertaken a significant amount of outreach to smaller developers. And the net result is that we're seeing a lot of developers coming out of the mobile space, and I think that's a tremendously positive trend for console gaming. Essentially, we have access to a whole new set of talent in gaming that we didn't have before."
Perhaps the only area in which the Xbox One looked to have a slight edge over the PlayStation 4 concerned the respective quality of the two consoles' launch games – a tad unsurprising, since the Xbox One's developers' kits were distributed before the PS4's equivalents."

House hints that there will be more to come before Christmas, though – which will almost certainly break cover at the Gamescom show in Cologne in late August, along with a launch date for the PS4: "I think there are additives to what is shaping up to be a great launch line-up of traditional blockbuster titles.

"We've got something like 140 titles in active development for the first year after the launch, which is really substantial. Again, because of the architecture decisions we've made, developers have told us that they are so far ahead compared to previous launches."

Well Sly 5 wouldn't be a surprise as that's only been on Sony consoles. I also think the Dark/Demon Souls franchise sells far better on the PS3 so again not a huge surprise there.

Well Sly 5 wouldn't be a surprise as that's only been on Sony consoles. I also think the Dark/Demon Souls franchise sells far better on the PS3 so again not a huge surprise there.
The Demon Souls IP is owned by Sony. Dark Souls is not and was only meant as a spiritual successor to Demon Souls. I wonder if people are going to get confused by Dark Souls 2 and Demon Souls 2.

Demon's Souls wasn't just published by Sony's Japanese division; the game was co-developed by SCE Japan Studio, an internal team that created the Patapon games and also contributed co-development to Level-5's White Knight Chronicles.

If there is going to be a Demons Souls 2 I will be ecstatic as I am not to happy with Dark Souls I am interested in Dark Souls 2 but would have rathered another Demons so I am happy to hear this. Could care less about Sly unless it is made by Sucker Punch. 

If there is going to be a Demons Souls 2 I will be ecstatic as I am not to happy with Dark Souls I am interested in Dark Souls 2 but would have rathered another Demons so I am happy to hear this. Could care less about Sly unless it is made by Sucker Punch.
http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/demons_souls/news/demons_souls_2_on_ps4_listed_by_retailer_2.html

CDON is also the retailer that leaked GT6 weeks prior to the game's announcement along with Newegg. Maybe the leak is real? Gamescom?

Edit: They also list Dead Rising 3 for PS4...

I'd take most of these with a very fine grain of salt as retailers, especially foreign ones put up bogus listings all the time.

TitanFall was originally intended for the PS3 also and is the reason behind Respawn's choice of choosing Valve's Source Engine. They saw how nice Portal 2 came out on the PS3 and decided on Source for Titanfall. Since Titanfall is still coming for Xbox 360, it is pretty clear that money was thrown at them from Microsoft rather than technical difficulty(cough* cloud cough*) preventing the port. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-titanfall-tech-analysis

"We were kind of interested in Source early on because it’s very familiar to our designers," said Richard Baker, a software engineer at Respawn who previously worked on Call of Duty 2, Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2. Source also suited Respawn’s desire to hit a constant 60 frames per second on both the Xbox 360 and the PS3, where other third-party engines weren’t up to the task.

"The ironic thing is that we wanted an engine that would work on PS3, because that’s the riskiest platform in current gen. When Portal 2 came out and it seemed to be a pretty decent PS3 game, that was the point when we decided to go with Source."

- http://www.polygon.com/e3-2013/2013/6/12/4419110/titanfall-respawn

TitanFall was originally intended for the PS3 also and is the reason behind Respawn's choice of choosing Valve's Source Engine. They saw how nice Portal 2 came out on the PS3 and decided on Source for Titanfall. Since Titanfall is still coming for Xbox 360, it is pretty clear that money was thrown at them from Microsoft rather than technical difficulty(cough* cloud cough*) preventing the port. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-titanfall-tech-analysis
I think most people are assuming it's coming to PS4 (with all DLC included) after a year or so and that Xbox 360 only has a timed exclusive. That was really common the first few years of the current gen but sort of fell out of favor the last couple years.

I'd be absolutely shocked if a game published by EA remains exclusive.  That being said, I don't really care anyway as I'm not terribly interested in the game.  I groan a little every time a game garners so much hype & praise through E3 awards...  Anyone remember RAGE?  That game absolutely cleaned up and then just turned out to be a very mediocre game.

I'd be absolutely shocked if a game published by EA remains exclusive. That being said, I don't really care anyway as I'm not terribly interested in the game. I groan a little every time a game garners so much hype & praise through E3 awards... Anyone remember RAGE? That game absolutely cleaned up and then just turned out to be a very mediocre game.
I enjoyed Rage for what it was. The homeage to the secret areas was a nice touch, although impossible to find without guidance. After you get the homing boomerang thing, it kinda was game over as it was extremely powerful. The ending also sucked big time.

However, non sport / movie liscensed games from EA always get me. They are pretty decent usually and a new Dead Space will make me giddy.

I'd be absolutely shocked if a game published by EA remains exclusive. That being said, I don't really care anyway as I'm not terribly interested in the game. I groan a little every time a game garners so much hype & praise through E3 awards... Anyone remember RAGE? That game absolutely cleaned up and then just turned out to be a very mediocre game.
I'm not terribly interested in Titanfall or Destiny because I don't like playing multiplayer. I play single player experiences so games like Tribes, Warhawk/Starhawk, Team Fortress, etc are of no interest to me.

I'm not terribly interested in Titanfall or Destiny because I don't like playing multiplayer. I play single player experiences so games like Tribes, Warhawk/Starhawk, Team Fortress, etc are of no interest to me.
I'm pretty much the exact same way, though I'll occasionally go through some online co-op if its with a friend. Other than that, I don't even bother trying out a game's multiplayer 90% of the time.

I'm pretty much the exact same way, though I'll occasionally go through some online co-op if its with a friend. Other than that, I don't even bother trying out a game's multiplayer 90% of the time.
Co-op is mostly what I do online too though typically I do local co-op at home if I play with others. I just don't like competitive multiplayer. I don't find it fun and even if I could invest enough time to compete with these people that play 24/7 and become experts, I just don't want to do that. Also competitive multiplayer tends to bring out the worst in people.

I'll admit that Titanfall and Destiny do look interesting but that's from the pretty pictures I've seen of it and some of the gameplay but then when I think about the fact that they will (when all is said and done) boil down to various types of competitive multiplayer with MAYBE some new mode, it's just not interesting.

Co-op is mostly what I do online too though typically I do local co-op at home if I play with others. I just don't like competitive multiplayer. I don't find it fun and even if I could invest enough time to compete with these people that play 24/7 and become experts, I just don't want to do that. Also competitive multiplayer tends to bring out the worst in people.

I'll admit that Titanfall and Destiny do look interesting but that's from the pretty pictures I've seen of it and some of the gameplay but then when I think about the fact that they will (when all is said and done) boil down to various types of competitive multiplayer with MAYBE some new mode, it's just not interesting.
That's me in a nutshell too. I can tolerate it sometimes(I actually got into Uncharted 3 multi for a little while), but even just going over to a friends' house and hearing, "Well, wanna play some CoD?" makes me cringe. I hate it. I mean, gaming offers so many different experiences in so many different varieties, why limit yourself?

I don't know, I just don't get the allure I suppose. I can admit that I am interested in Destiny, though. I'll most likely be picking that up and see what happens from there.

Same here.  I played a good bit of CoD 4, MW2 and Black Ops, a little bit of Halo 3 and Halo Reach MP etc.  Just sucked at it, and rarely play competitive MP anymore.

I game to veg out and relax for a while, and competitive MP is the complete opposite of that.  I do love co-op stuff like Borderlands 2 though.

I would love if it a system offered something beyond the usual online shooter. Nintendo could pull that off with their staples but for some weird reason they never do. Mario Bros online co-op would be fantastic. Pikmin probably would be as well. And Metroid could be a whole new kind of online shooter experience. I'll end my rant now because I don't want to get too off topic.

I would love if it a system offered something beyond the usual online shooter. Nintendo could pull that off with their staples but for some weird reason they never do. Mario Bros online co-op would be fantastic. Pikmin probably would be as well. And Metroid could be a whole new kind of online shooter experience. I'll end my rant now because I don't want to get too off topic.
F-zero and shit, they can do an Earthbound MMO while their at it! Lol

F-zero and shit, they can do an Earthbound MMO while their at it! Lol
Nintendo doesn't even try. Their Wii U is severely lacking in games and of the games they actually put out on a regular basis, many genre are missing. Would they ever put out something like Tell-Tales "The Walking Dead" where you can cut someone's arm off with a bone saw? Many people consider that game the best one of 2012. You don't have to have gore to be a good game obviously but if it's called for in the process of story telling then you should have it. Nintendo puts out new iterations of the same story, defeating Gannon, saving the princess, etc. How many WRPG's have they put out? How many JRPG's have they done (just Xenoblade?)? How many open world driving/shooting GTA, SR3, Sleeping Dogs, etc games have they done? How many shooters both third and first person have they done? How many art games like Flower/Journey have they done? I mean you can go on forever. Nintendo needs third party support because they make "kiddie" games and outside of handhelds, the people that buy consoles are the adults - many of which are gamers themselves and want to buy consoles with games they want as well.

Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower and Last Story for JRPG.

id consider Assassin's Creed, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden pretty bloody.

Hell they have an indie game coming out called Bloodsport or something.

They have no WRPGs mainly because Bethesda has shown No interest in any nintendo system. EA did put out Mass Effect 3 though.

I get what you are saying but the issue goes both ways honestly. People say they want these kinda games on Nintendo but then they don't sale well because a large portion of people that own their systems arent interested in those kinda games. Those that are just end up getting them on PS/Xbox anyways.

How many of those are Nintendo 1st party? Hell Xenoblade only made it here thanks to a petition and people importing it a lot beforehand. I think if Nintendo actually made some of those genres or types of games they would sell, the reason they don't sell is because those are 3rd party. 

Besides the 3DS Nintendo is NOT selling to kids, at least here. When 5 year olds here play CoD that doesn't leave much room for Nintendo to sell to kids when they are already entrapped in COD at such an early age because after experiencing that they do not want to touch a kiddy game, trust me on that. If kids do get nintendo consoles they lose interest in them as soon as they get the Xbox 360. There are kids that have a 3DS but they play mostly pokemon and Mario on it and whatever other game they happen to get as a gift, and sometimes they have a DS Lite or other system that was handed to them by an older sibling, that is if they weren't born with an iPhone in their hands.

Most of the buyers of Nintendo consoles here are college age or older or those that have to have every system as soon as they come out, and those people most likely fit into the college age or older group. These might be people who have a family and the kids might join in for an occasional Nintendo game but then they would go right back to their Xbox and CoD. If the kids are under 5 they might play nintendo games though nintendo games would be much to difficult for that age group and are sometimes too difficult for even me due to the abuse of rubberband AI. The only reason I mention CoD is its so insanely popular here that the majority of kids play it and at times that is all they talk about.

Again I am referring to the consoles here, there are many more kids that have the 3DS than those that have the Wii U.

See the paradox here, Nintendo games are too difficult for young kids, but young kids are the audience they are obviously targeting. I think they would do well to make some easy young kid friendly games even though they said they would never do that. Their games difficulty is really meant for someone at least over 10 but not many kids over 10 here want to touch a Nintendo game let alone buy the console. The graphics also lend themselves to being kid friendly, which means they really should be catering to that crowd. The difficulty of some Nintendo games is so intense that they would definitely be played by only the most hardcore gamer, so it's no surprise that they have more adults as buyers for their home consoles now as they are clearly targeting them with the difficulty of their games.

If Pokemon had a decent home console game then that might get more kids to purchase the console, and people in general, but the Pokemon offerings for the consoles have been extremely lacking in recent years.

bread's done
Back