PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Damn, it looks like most of the 360 FPS crowd are not abandoning ship. BF4 at 40? wut? :shock:

Yep, cant wait to play with 64 players!!! :bouncy:
It's not confirmed at all but it could be even more than that.

Six 5-man squads = 30 players

One commander = 1 player

Total = 31/62

In other words, they might be trying to squeeze in another squad per side (72 total).

Ugh, that is terrible looking, lol.
It's not even an alpha build. That's why it's called a test kit. The final version will likely not resemble it even in the slightest.

I know, but they wouldn't waste their time designing graphics. I personally hate squares (too much like the 360 / windows 8 build) so hopefully they allow customization like the current PS3 XMB has.

I know, but they wouldn't waste their time designing graphics. I personally hate squares (too much like the 360 / windows 8 build) so hopefully they allow customization like the current PS3 XMB has.
I think the reasoning behind the squares is mainly due to allowing you to scroll around the interface with the touchpad and to have the UI consistent on mobile devices for the Playstation app which utilize a touchscreen. Plus better visibility of ADs.

But I do agree with you that the XMB provided more options and usability which I prefer. I don't like the new Playstation Store for the same reason. Squares make things more visually appealing and clean but functionality takes a hit.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/08/below-super-time-force-will-be-multi-platform-after-a-period-o/

Not entirely sure if this should go here or not, but I figured there's a good chance it should.

Capybara Games have two games coming out, Below and Super TIME Force, both exclusive to Xbox One and Xbox 360.

But, they are TIMED exclusives and will possibly be out for other platforms once that exclusivity agreement lapses. Could mean PS3/PS4, could mean Wii(U), not entirely sure. But there's a chance it could, so that's why I'm putting it here.

^So Below and Titanfall are only timed exlcusives, nice. On another note I finally paid off my ps4 pre-order at amazon, just need a release date now. Sony will probably reveal that info at gamescom, still have my fingers crossed for a late October release. Also hoping we get a sneak peak at whatever Naughty Dog is working on and maybe some The Order gameplay. Can't wait :bouncy:

is it smart to buy a new ps3? mine is broken...and at the moment the ps3 is very 'cheap'

are ps3 games running on the new ps4?
No. The PS3 games can't be played on PS4. The hope with Gaikai is that it will allow a streaming service of PS3 games, but nothing has been clarified, and that's a ways away to be implemented.

If you want to play PS3 games, you'll need to buy a PS3.

is it smart to buy a new ps3? mine is broken...and at the moment the ps3 is very 'cheap'
are ps3 games running on the new ps4?
My PS3 has one foot in the grave so I plan to replace it on Black Friday because there are still some games I'm interested in coming out and some out that I'm waiting for price drops. Plus I have PSN games and I don't want to just throw them away.

Anyone know the best way to backup all your game saves? Is there a way to force the cloud to back everything up?

im curious what they are going to do about how many systems you can have on your account once the ps4 comes out. I asked a sony rep but he said he wasnt sure. I would hope they would do the obvious and increase it by 1.

PlayStation Brings on Rackspace Talent to Help With “OpenStack Private Cloud Deployment”

Lanham Napier, CEO of Rackspace, said in an earnings call (transcribed by SeekingAlpha) that Sony is now an “enterprise customer” for the company, continuing:

Sony PlayStation recently signed a services agreement with Rackspace, under which our developers and architects will be consulting and supporting the PlayStation team with their OpenStack private cloud deployment.
Lost actor teases "new Uncharted"

Monaghan referenced a "new Uncharted" game when discussing his thoughts on the industry.

"I'll always stay focused on the gaming world and see what's coming up," he said. "The new Uncharted I'm really excited to see how that's going to be and obviously both new gaming systems."
im curious what they are going to do about how many systems you can have on your account once the ps4 comes out. I asked a sony rep but he said he wasnt sure. I would hope they would do the obvious and increase it by 1.
The policy is the same as Xbox One.

• One account can share all purchased games with other accounts on your "Home" console. Offline or Online. PS+ features can be shared with non-PS+ accounts on your "Home" console according to Yoshida.
  • You can bring your content with you to as many other consoles as you like, as long as you stay logged in.
So essentially one designated offline console, and unlimited access to other consoles as long as you remain online on that console.

Well, I finally paid off my PS4. Now I can concentrate on buying games for the system. I'm definitely picking up Killzone, but it may be a little while before we know for sure what games will be making it for launch and which ones are "launch window" games.

Just want to make everyone aware, Sony's Gamescom show is the day before. August 20th.
Thanks, I had no idea. I just knew it was coming up soon.

Hopefully Sony is more detail oriented on the 20th. I'd like to know about the size and speed of the HDD, I would like to know if there will be a USB hub using the AUX port (shouldn't be an issue, even if it ends up being a 3rd party accessory), I would like to know the release date and have a better idea about which games will be available on launch day.

I'm also looking forward to the new PS4 games that are said to be showcased at the conference.

I'm also looking forward to the new PS4 games that are said to be showcased at the conference.
I'm hoping they reveal something completely new. I know they've already shown tons, but there isn't anything that makes me want to buy the system day 1. Killzone and Infamous look good, and Knack looks like it has potential, but I'm hoping they show a new IP. I kinda doubt it though...

hoping they talk about the HOME ,new  Playstation 3D TV,PS4  Window 8 web browser,new PS3 web browser update,cloud update to 6GB

Thanks, I had no idea. I just knew it was coming up soon.

Hopefully Sony is more detail oriented on the 20th. I'd like to know about the size and speed of the HDD, I would like to know if there will be a USB hub using the AUX port (shouldn't be an issue, even if it ends up being a 3rd party accessory), I would like to know the release date and have a better idea about which games will be available on launch day.

The memory size of the HDD is 500 GB.
Physical size is 2.5"
Speed is still unknown.

Is there any word on if the PS4 will have something similar to "Home Gold" on X1? I was originally thinking that it was going to be similar, but now I'm not sure I've seen anything saying that was the case. If all accounts need to have PS+ in order to play online, that will pretty much be a PS4 deal killer for me. No way am I doing that again.

Mind you, I'm pissed that MS canceled Family Gold on 360 and is not replacing it with anything (on 360). They got my kids use to having their own Gold accounts via that, then they pulled the rug out from under us. Grrrrr. On X1 they'll have Home Gold... at least as long as MS decides to give that to you. Maybe they pull the rug out from everyone on there in a year.... I'm considering switching myself over to PS3 to save money (drop gold for me), but I won't be getting a PS4 either if they are going to make me pay for 3x PS+.

Only one account on the PS4 needs to be subscribed for ps+ to play online multiplayer if that is what your talking about.

Only one account on the PS4 needs to be subscribed for ps+ to play online multiplayer if that is what your talking about.
That is what I'm talking about, but where did you see this? From other people, or from Sony? I can't find anything official.

And a related question, IF that is the case, what happens if you have a second PS4? Does the same PS+ account work on that one too? Not that I'd have a 2nd one any time even remotely soon, but once they hit $200. :)

The way it will work on PS4 is actually a downgrade in my mind, damn trying to copy MS on that. I have a 2nd PS3 and any game I DL to it (and primary console) will work on any other profile, PS+ games included. So that's 2 consoles with full game privileges as long as they're on the HDD, no matter who is signed in. The PS4 wording I read is that on 2nd PS4, your profile will need to be logged in to play that PS+/other DL game. The only upside I see to that is if they allow multiple profiles to be logged in at same time (yay MS). Of course, being kicked offline on primary console because secondary signed in, uggh I hope not.

Strictly speaking, this is 3-4 years down the line when there is actually a reason to have a 2nd PS4. I also realize it's not the norm to have a 2nd console, but I keep it at family vacation home. Very handy when combined with cloud saving and tons of PS+ freebies. Keep the convenience please.

Oh, PS3 only allows 1 console to be setup with PS+ auto-updates/patches, hope they fix that with PS4.

The way it will work on PS4 is actually a downgrade in my mind, damn trying to copy MS on that. I have a 2nd PS3 and any game I DL to it (and primary console) will work on any other profile, PS+ games included. So that's 2 consoles with full game privileges as long as they're on the HDD, no matter who is signed in. The PS4 wording I read is that on 2nd PS4, your profile will need to be logged in to play that PS+/other DL game. The only upside I see to that is if they allow multiple profiles to be logged in at same time (yay MS). Of course, being kicked offline on primary console because secondary signed in, uggh I hope not.

Strictly speaking, this is 3-4 years down the line when there is actually a reason to have a 2nd PS4. I also realize it's not the norm to have a 2nd console, but I keep it at family vacation home. Very handy when combined with cloud saving and tons of PS+ freebies. Keep the convenience please.
Yeah, I had this same thought but like you it won't be an issue for a while. I currently have 2 PS3's (one upstairs and one downstairs) and I don't have to fuss with which system I buy a game for since they will work on either with any profile. When we had 2 360's (I have since ditched one to Gamestop when they were giving $225 for it) I had to make sure I bought my games on the system I didn't usually play so that my son could play them without having me logged in.

Yeah, that is a downgrade if true. The install on 2 consoles thing is great. I actually don't have two PS3s, but I do have two 360s and I wish the 360 worked the same way. Some day I might pick up a 2nd PS3 if the price is right.

I agree the whole no more gamesharing/having to be signed in kind of sucks.

Wouldn't impact me currently for my 2 PS3's, but I can see it being an issue in the future if I have 2 PS4's + kids.

We make it work on the 360. You can have a user logged in but not actually playing, and then you get access to their games. So when my kids wants to play a game I bought, on our 2nd Xbox, they log in, then log me in on a 2nd controller and then they can play the game. Hopefully they have that workaround in place. Of course if they are doing this then I can't play a game on the other Xbox, so it's not ideal, but for the most part it works OK. One advantage is they can then play one of my games on their cousin's Xbox even though that is a 3rd Xbox - there is no limit on how many Xboxes you can play the game on while I am also logged in. On PS3 I guess that wouldn't work.

I don't see the big deal in the change IMO. Designate your primary PS4 and make all purchases there.
One thing that's annoying about this is that you have to download games twice, if the Xbox you really want to play it in on is the 2nd one. So I mostly game on our upstairs Xbox, but the kids mostly use the downstairs one. So when I'm at the 2nd Xbox I can't just buy a game and download it. I have to buy and download on the downstairs Xbox and then sign out, go to the upstairs Xbox and sign in, then download the game. It's a pain. But sure you can make it work. Also if I am using the downstairs Xbox and they want to play one of the games on the upstairs one, they can't play any download games, only disc ones, because signing me in upstairs would log me out downstairs. So, yeah, it is a bit of a pain.

Posting this here just in case some of you guys were interested...

Sony is going to livestream their presser next Tuesday. Here's the link. There's also going to be panel discussion afterwards that will also be livestreamed. More info is here on the EU PS Blog.

It roughly starts at 10 AM PST/12 PM CDT/1 PM EDT

"Sony, Viacom strike early deal for Internet TV service"

"Sony's service is designed to stream traditional cable channels and on-demand content, the Journal reported. It would put Sony in direct competition with both satellite and cable TV providers"

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57598728-93/sony-viacom-strike-early-deal-for-internet-tv-service/

This could be a huge deal, plus your ps4/ps3 dosen't have to be daisy chained to your cable box.
Hope its at leaat a reasonable price since I highly doubt it falls under ps+

That article makes no mention of the PS4.
There's no way they shut the ps4 out of this, c'mon son. This is also what I thought MS would do with their console, with them you just plug your existing cable box into your xbox one. Its bascially a glorified remote, which is dumb IMO. If the price is right I could see this being very big for Sony.

Ah, that's cool, though the channels I'd want most are ESPN ones. Comedy Central is good, though. It all depends on the price. Also I really hope they make it alacart so you can just buy Comedy Central if that is all you want. Otherwise this is just a tiny cable service.

bread's done
Back