PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Canceled my PS4 preorder on Amazon. Just can't justify buying one at launch when I'm not that interested in any of the games (just mildly in Killzone) and I still have so much to play on PS3. Taking a couple extra trips this fall to, so the money can go toward that instead.

I'll grab one in spring or summer when there are more games and some retailer deal (free gift card with purchase or whatever).
I was thinking the same but I'm gonna see i I can "flip" mine.

In all likelihood I'll probably have the damned thing opened and factory seal broken before I finish signing for the package. Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me preface this by saying that I really don't care or think which one launches first will make a noticeable difference now.

Now, with that said, for those people that kept going on that Xbox One would launch before PS4 and it would be a HUGE difference, does that now mean that since PS4 is out before the Xbox One that it is a HUGE advantage for the PS4?

I never believed anybody on this board saying X1 was coming out before ps4. Leading up to the ps4 release date announcement there was speculation that Sony would come out first to try to regain market share in NA.

I was thinking the same but I'm gonna see i I can "flip" mine.

In all likelihood I'll probably have the damned thing opened and factory seal broken before I finish signing for the package. Lol.
I wonder what would happen if I did that at work when I grab my ps4.

Let me preface this by saying that I really don't care or think which one launches first will make a noticeable difference now.

Now, with that said, for those people that kept going on that Xbox One would launch before PS4 and it would be a HUGE difference, does that now mean that since PS4 is out before the Xbox One that it is a HUGE advantage for the PS4?
I was wondering the same thing. People just bullshit all the time. IMO, if the rumors are true then the biggest factor will be if MS can manufacture enough Xbox One's to keep up with PS4 sales.

Edit: by people bullshitting, I mean other people. I would never bullshit you Deader!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-02-driveclub-ps-plus-edition-is-the-full-game-minus-a-few-cars-and-tracks

"You can earn the Platinum Trophy from the PS Plus Edition. When you upgrade from the PS Plus Edition you get the full edition, which doesn't require a PS Plus subscription. There will be a discount to upgrade to the full digital edition from the PS+ edition, but prices won't be announced for a few more weeks yet."

Sounds good to me. DriveClub looks like fun.
I played DriveClub at PAX. It was one of the games that had nearly no line so it was easy to play. It looked great but I found it really hard to control. And I wasn't the only one. The guy next to me at one point let the Sony rep have it telling him that the demo was broken because he kept crashing ;). Now, that was a little overboard - I just have a feeling that you'd need to get used to the controls with a little more play. But it lacked the immediate pick up and play nature of say a Burnout game. It uses the camera to take a "license" picture before you race - then you'd see other people's pictures on ghost cars and such as you do certain "challenges" (like cornering or drifting).

Another game I played that I had never even heard of before was Warframe:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/02/warframe-confirmed-as-timed-playstation-4-exclusive

It is free to play and available at launch. It also looked great. I'm not into shooters so much but since this is a coop shooter (as the article states kind of in the vein of the Mass Effect 3 online coop which I did enjoy). But hey, it is free and available at launch. So toss that in as another (small) reason to get a PS4 at launch. I guess the game is already on PC but I don't have one that would play such a thing. My son and I also got cool foam throwing stars for playing the game ;).

I have a question... When i get a PS4 will I be able to download all/most/some of my PSN purchases and play on my PS4? Like my previous free PS+ games for PS3, or my PS1 games I've purchased in the past?

I have a question... When i get a PS4 will I be able to download all/most/some of my PSN purchases and play on my PS4? Like my previous free PS+ games for PS3, or my PS1 games I've purchased in the past?
Unfortunately, no. The only system with any sort of backwards compatibility is the Wii U. Both the PS4 and X1 are switching the core system architecture and cannot run the older (PS3/360) stuff natively. In 2014, PS4 will provide PS3 game streaming via Gaikai but the details are fuzzy on that.

:lol:  That's the exact same video they showed at PAX where you had to wait in line 30-45 minutes just to see it.  And they threatened us multiple times before and during about taking any pictures or video (or even so much as looking at our phones) because they didn't want all this wonderful footage spoiled.

You know, Ubisoft, you can bite me.  Seriously.  F U.  I'm almost tempted to cancel my preorder ($40 from GoHastings) now.

u5a2yva2.jpg

Damn, that's tiny. Im still shocked that there's no massive power brick given its small size. Bravo Sony!

PS4 is the more powerful console? DUH! lol It probably wont matter with multiplats since most devs will go for parity, but I'm expecting to see it with the exclusives.

Also regadring the ps4 box, Im not sure thats the final one, It looks different from the one in the factory image to me. Or maybe I'm just blind haha.

The controller is fine.  I wish I could remember what game it was, but something at PAX allowed you to swipe up or down on the pad to do something in game.  Yeah, sorry about being vague but I guess even though I knew the pad was there, I didn't expect such usage of it.

I'm surprised at the surprise over the pics.  Haven't we seen the system/controller many times?  I didn't even think to take pictures of all the systems at PAX (both PS4 and X1).  My son did take a picture of Sony's "display" system (that was in a glass case).  I'll try to fish that off his camera or iPod or wherever it is.

I will say that I'll echo other's impressions of the relative smallness of the PS4.  It is a nice looking compact device.  It seems smaller than the PS3 Slim to me, though of course this was without seeing them side-by-side.  In any case, it appears smaller which at least points to a nice design.

Well there you go Major Nelson, the truth that you were looking forward to coming out about the PS4 being 30% superior...

It's not possible to believe anything Major "Xbox One is the future" Nelson regarding unreleased systems. Frankly if you look back at the bullshit PR about Xbox 360, Kinect, and PS3 before each of the respective launches it was full of bullshit hype and disinformation. It's pretty sad that you have to go into something like this so jaded.

Edit: we should have a predictions thread to predict which "features" turn out to be bullshit. I think most people believe MS's cloud falls firmly into this category.

Anyone else surprised the Japanese launch isn't until February? I'm surprised that NA and Europe are getting it almost 3 months before Japan. 

Anyone else surprised the Japanese launch isn't until February? I'm surprised that NA and Europe are getting it almost 3 months before Japan.
Sony has Japan sown up, it's a strategic move to hit the markets that they are weaker in. Clearly they couldn't make enough units to meet demand in Europe/USA. That's the only reason to divert more stock to those markets. It's a similar move to what MS has done but this is really aggressive. Sony smells the preverbial blood in the water...

I am still getting both systems at launch even though I had been moved over to PC gaming for a while now. 

The wait for the PS4 is finally starting to get to me though, much more so than for the XB1. The more and more that I see coming from the console, the more I can't wait for it to hit. I was excited when the PS3 and Xbox360 came out, but not with the same sense of urgency that I now seem to have for some reason. Hell, I already have the space for both consoles setup in my entertainment center. 

Assuming they release it here as well, I'm also going to pick up the PSVitaTV for the bedroom when it comes out.

So much good stuff in gaming in the near future. 

Honestly, I've been considering canceling my PS4 pre-order. I'm primarily a PC gamer, though I use my PS3 for stuff like Uncharted, Madden, and any other stuff that's console exclusive (GTAV upcoming until the eventual PC release, at which point I'll switch over). That said, there just isn't enough out for PS4 at launch that really excites me, and there isn't much that interests me period until next year.

I have this feeling that I'll get my PS4, then it'll sit there collecting dust as I play GTAV. 

Honestly, I've been considering canceling my PS4 pre-order. I'm primarily a PC gamer, though I use my PS3 for stuff like Uncharted, Madden, and any other stuff that's console exclusive (GTAV upcoming until the eventual PC release, at which point I'll switch over). That said, there just isn't enough out for PS4 at launch that really excites me, and there isn't much that interests me period until next year.

I have this feeling that I'll get my PS4, then it'll sit there collecting dust as I play GTAV.
I cancelled mine and I'm not a PC gamer.

I bet a lot of people are considering the same thing, the laucnh lineup leaves a lot to be desired and the ps3 is still churning out great games. That being said, I'm still jumping on the day one train haha. I have my console, KZ shadowfall, and BF4 paid off. Both look awesome. Also, Second Son is dropping in the not so distant future and that game is hands down the best looking next gen title announced thus far.

I'm keeping mine (for now) only for Watchdogs, which is supposedly coming out before the end of the year on PS4... but I'm pretty sure it'll get pushed to 2014. 

All that talk about PS4 Vita bundle for $500, was just for the price of the PS Vita TV matching up when added. Don't really see that ever being officially bundled with a PS4. Maybe we'll see some retail deals on those bundled together or money off one if you buy the other.

IMO, theres no reason to get either console at launch. Most of the big titles are going to be on 360/PS3 as well as next-gen, so you're really only missing out on the first-party stuff (Killzone, Knack, etc). And yea, stuff like BF4 and Watchdogs will look better on a next-gen console, but they're still basically the same game. I'll definitely be picking up a PS4, but probably not for another year or so.

Now I can't wait even more that SE announced that FFXIV will be free for PS3 players as well as having Beta for the PS4 in Feb.

Hold on what?? No fee for PS3 people?

bread's done
Back