PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

So on ps4 are you allowed to install all your disc based games if you want too? Kind of like on the 360 where you could just dump the entire disc onto console?
On both you can install the whole game, but still require the disc in the system to play.

So on ps4 are you allowed to install all your disc based games if you want too? Kind of like on the 360 where you could just dump the entire disc onto console?

You CAN on the ps4 but it isnt mandatory, You MUST on the x1 it is mandatory.

there was only 1 time where i had my 60gb phat ps3 filled. then i just went and deleted a bunch of shit i wasnt playing nor even had anymore. sucks for collectors, but im not one who collects games so it makes no difference to me.

My 750 SSHD in my PS3 is almost full, and I'm putting the same drive in my PS4.  I have no doubt it will be full within a year, but hopefully by then Sony will have enabled using USB storage.

Guess I'll be putting my 640GB PS3 drive in my PS4 ASAP...  It's only an extra 140GB, so nowhere near the extra space I wanted, but hey - it's an extra 3-4 full games so it's better than nothing.

You'll see 2tb drives within the year. But I really don't understand all the gripe its the same way now on current gen systems and phones, ipads and most other devices with storage except pcs where you can easily add more.
Perspective. Current gen games are 4-8gb. iDevice games are in the MB range. Starting out this gen with 50GB installs and a 500gb drive is launching behind the curve. It's a legitimate complaint. Both consoles should have launched with 2TB drives.

So people said Nintendo was dumb for not having a big hard drive but I guess we can now say that storage space is actually a draw back for all 3 systems?

Perspective. Current gen games are 4-8gb. iDevice games are in the MB range. Starting out this gen with 50GB installs and a 500gb drive is launching behind the curve. It's a legitimate complaint. Both consoles should have launched with 2TB drives.

It would have driven up console prices, also mandatory installs are NOT required on the ps4(though they will help), also game sizes will go down over time as the learning curve reduces. But we also probably see multiple bluray games this gen also with games needing more than ,50gb worth of data(unless of course they use quadlayer disc), also with ps+, discounts, and other purchases on psn (and xbl for that matter) I have well over 1tb worth of data digitally so its still basically the same situation. If all games fill up 50gb thats 8 games you could hold on your console at once with 500gb(after subtracting format and OS guessimates) still don't see the gripe as we can (change out drives, delete games, not play more than 8 games at once(like last gen practically), and(new to this gen play while downloading.) I still just can't help but feel ppl are looking for excuses... But maybe thats still just me... People just gotta choose between price, game quality, and time.

I fully suspect the average file size to be 20-30GB by the end of next year, perhaps even lower. In the meantime though, this is going to be interesting for people such as myself, who like to have everything ready to go at a moments notice and hate to delete things.

How big are current gen pc games? I doubt 50gb. I doubt on average we'll have 50gb installs. At least I hope not. Maybe the launch titles just didn't have enough time to fully optimize the disc size or it's just lazy development?

Mixer23 said:
I'm so very torn right now... I know I'm for sure getting KZ & ACIV. But I can't decide if I want to take advantage of the Target B2G1. I mean, I was planning on getting KZ @ GS with credit, and then grabbing the ACIV CE from Amazon with credit. That leaves me with Knack & NBA 2K14 as the other wildcards I have interest in... And nothing else. So, it's either spend more money and forget about burning some GS credit - or ditch the B2G1 and wait for a drop on Knack & NBA(which I have a feeling will happen pretty quickly for Knack). This would be so much easier if Super Mario 3D World was coming out the same week.

Decisions, decisions...
I hope Knack doesn't drop too fast since it is the only $60 new game I'm getting for the PS4 (and I only paid $50 for it using that $10 Amazon preorder trade-in promo). After that, I will rely on PS+ stuff for probably the next year or so (well, of course, besides getting retail games cheaper once they drop). I guess I'll try to beat Knack relatively quickly and then sell it before it drops too much.

I hear you about Super Mario 3D World though. If I could swing it, I'd do the B2G1 with Knack, NBA 2K14, and Super Mario 3D World.

For the X1, I am getting Dead Rising 3 because my older son wants that one and I plan to buy that digitally since I have over $100 in my MS account (bought cheap back during that MS Store sale). But that's the only X1 game I'm getting at first too. I suspect I'll still play a lot on the PS3 over the next several months (especially when Dark Souls II hits).

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: Count me as another that would kill to get Mario 3D as my third title at Target.

2TB drives would have jacked the price the up an extra $100. They should all have swappable drives.
They don't pay current SRP prices. Would it raise costs? Maybe, but certainly not $100.

Anyone else pissed that there are currently no PS4 upgrade options for FIFA 14 on PS3 in the US? I was told this weekend that I could get $20 for my copy, but if I had the X360 version, I would get $50.

I hope Knack doesn't drop too fast since it is the only $60 new game I'm getting for the PS4 (and I only paid $50 for it using that $10 Amazon preorder trade-in promo). After that, I will rely on PS+ stuff for probably the next year or so (well, of course, besides getting retail games cheaper once they drop).

I just have a feeling that it's going to be the one that has the weakest sales since people seem to love to crap on it so much... But don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's fine and I want to give it a shot as well. Now that I think about it though, unless someone wants to run another promo around BF, I doubt it'd see a price drop within the first couple months.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't PS3 launch titles take a while to drop? Anyone remember?

Anyone else pissed that there are currently no PS4 upgrade options for FIFA 14 on PS3 in the US? I was told this weekend that I could get $20 for my copy, but if I had the X360 version, I would get $50.
I'm pissed but I did enough research online to find that it wasn't an option. I sold my copy of fifa 13 and now i would kill to play some fifa but i'm not about to drop $60 on the last gen version when next gen comes out in 2 weeks.

:lol: Count me as another that would kill to get Mario 3D as my third title at Target.

They don't pay current SRP prices. Would it raise costs? Maybe, but certainly not $100.

You seriously think a 2TB laptop hdd wouldn't have bought the price an extra $100?

Without a doubt it would have.

I just have a feeling that it's going to be the one that has the weakest sales since people seem to love to crap on it so much... But don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's fine and I want to give it a shot as well. Now that I think about it though, unless someone wants to run another promo around BF, I doubt it'd see a price drop within the first couple months.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't PS3 launch titles take a while to drop? Anyone remember?
I really don't know why Knack gets so much dislike... I know the graphics are a bit "cartoony", but I think it's still a nice looking game. For those that think it could have been remotely playable on the PS3, I don't buy it. The object and physics models they showed look amazing and something I think the PS3 would struggle with or would not be able to do at all.

Anyone hear anything about the gamestop allotment per store yet?   Girl working there said I was the 39th person to preorder.  Would hate not to get one day one.  Just checked my powerup account and i preordered july 28th.  If 2 and a half months ain't enough advance notice to get me a ps4 fuck em.  I work next to the gamestop i preordered at.  I don't know my shift yet but I'm thinking of not even leaving the parking lot after work to make sure i get one

I haven't been able to find anything about this, but does anyone know if Remote Play will work better on Downloaded games? If I buy a physical disc, will that effect the game play on my Vita? I guess logistically downloaded games would work better, because you wouldn't need the physical disc in the system. I was planning on buying physical discs from Amazon, but any differences in features like Remote Play could change my mind.

I haven't been able to find anything about this, but does anyone know if Remote Play will work better on Downloaded games. Meaning, if I buy a physical disc, will that effect the game play on my Vita?
Maybe a little bit seeing how the harddrive is faster than the disc drive. Probably has way more to do with your lan speed though. Like the Garth Marenghi avatar by the way

Can't believe it's under two weeks away.

Doesn't feel like it's been 7 years since the PS3 came out.

It does to me I was a day one owner I actually expected new consoles last year. Tbh I think its been along time coming.

Maybe a little bit seeing how the harddrive is faster than the disc drive. Probably has way more to do with your lan speed though. Like the Garth Marenghi avatar by the way
That makes sense. I'll probably get KZ digitally and Knack from Amazon and test the difference. Thanks for the response!

Oh man, I would trade my PS4 for a second series of Darkplace.

I'm getting Battlefield 4, Killzone Shadowfall, and NBA 2k14 for sure. I want to get one other game but I am torn on what one to get. Thinking of getting either NFS Rivals, Knack, or Injustice. Any reasons I should know of to go with one game or another?

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is coming as a downloadable title to the PS4 in the Spring. It will cost $30 and act as a prequel of sorts to The Phantom Pain.

LMAO somebody has one of those pull tab flyers up on a lamppost. They are asking people to contact them, as they are offering $1000 for a PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U bundle. I should have taken a picture of it. "Need some Holliday spending cash? I'm offering $1000 for the set of three game systems!"

10 Days to Launch, New Trailers

http://youtu.be/uj5CSgodwVc

http://youtu.be/t8ewyI1F0lc

http://youtu.be/Ce3wcolK2Qo

http://youtu.be/zMDNXtWXNHE

http://youtu.be/zywlk2t7_LY

http://youtu.be/1rR-w1J_tsc

http://youtu.be/jQvggeBG-KE

http://youtu.be/UuG0jiYkk9s

With the system coming out next Friday, things are looking up. I'm excited for Killzone, the PS+ games look great and Spring 2014 looks like that's when we'll start to see things ramp up. :whee:

ps4's are already hovering around $550-650 range on ebay. i wonder how much i can get if i hold out on selling mine until a week before christmas. sell now for launch or sell around christmas time. hhhmmmm

Some Gamestops are getting test/demo units this week.  Saw one this afternoon, and while the system looks nice, I think I'm ready to cancel my pre-order.  It's nice to have a new toy, but there's nothing in the launch lineup that is a must have (to me).  Knack looked interesting, but aside from some really cool effects, there's no significant leap from ps3.  

Head out to gamestop, and try it for yourself.  I think I'm skipping all launches this fall.

The thing with the demo units is they don't have anything that really shows off next-gen. If they really wanted to impress people they should have put a Killzone demo on them.

Also it has already been stated in here that those games that are demo'd in the kiosk are all early builds of the games and won't even come close to the final product.  it was more a way to try out the controller and get a glimpse of what the games will be like... for you to cancel your preorder over the kiosk is actually pretty ignorant....

Also it has already been stated in here that those games that are demo'd in the kiosk are all early builds of the games and won't even come close to the final product. it was more a way to try out the controller and get a glimpse of what the games will be like... for you to cancel your preorder over the kiosk is actually pretty ignorant....
I will go ahead and take my ignorant money, and run. lol

Wait, nope. I'll just hold on to my ignorant money for about a year when I see more value in the investment. But thanks for clarifying that for me.

just was saying, I understand there not being enough launch titles and that is it... but to change after trying out a prebuild demo kiosk and then saying launch games suck is not really understanding their purpose... that is all..

ps4's are already hovering around $550-650 range on ebay. i wonder how much i can get if i hold out on selling mine until a week before christmas. sell now for launch or sell around christmas time. hhhmmmm
I would sell now before people come to the realization that they aren't limited and they can just pick one up at retail.

I would sell now before people come to the realization that they aren't limited and they can just pick one up at retail.
I think most of the profit or high bids will be to international buyers... AFAIK the PS4 and games are not region locked. Those regions that aren't getting the PS4 till later may have some people willing to pay more to have it sooner.

I will go ahead and take my ignorant money, and run. lol

Wait, nope. I'll just hold on to my ignorant money for about a year when I see more value in the investment. But thanks for clarifying that for me.
why cancel your preorder? buy it and immediately flip it for a profit.

thats the thing though, they are limited. at least at launch. there isnt a single gamestop around me that has any for sale and even if they did, they arent letting people order more than 1.

I honestly haven't been keeping up with this thread that much and I'm sure this has been covered numerous times, but with the system a week and a half away I'm curious what launch games everyone seems sold on.  I'm definitely in for NBA 2K14 and the other two I'm considering are Killzone and NFS.  I just feel like NFS will be the same experience as current gen and I've never been a huge KZ fan.  Somebody convince me that the next-gen versions will blow me away... :D

I honestly haven't been keeping up with this thread that much and I'm sure this has been covered numerous times, but with the system a week and a half away I'm curious what launch games everyone seems sold on. I'm definitely in for NBA 2K14 and the other two I'm considering are Killzone and NFS. I just feel like NFS will be the same experience as current gen and I've never been a huge KZ fan. Somebody convince me that the next-gen versions will blow me away... :D
The games I am most excited for and have already pre-ordered are Knack, CoD:Ghosts, Killzone, and AC4. I'm not big FPS/shooter fan, but Killzone looks like a lot of fun, and fricking gorgeous.

Games I am on the fence about (only mentioning launch games) Madden 25, BF4, and LEGO: Marvel Super Heroes. I'll probably wait for those to drop before I pick them up since I just realized that many of us will have access to 6 free games (4 F2P, and 2 PS+) not counting Playroom.

why cancel your preorder? buy it and immediately flip it for a profit.

thats the thing though, they are limited. at least at launch. there isnt a single gamestop around me that has any for sale and even if they did, they arent letting people order more than 1.
I agree out the door yea but I remember reading something about them slowly trickling out. I think most retailer's do not want to over sell the console. Even the ~month wait is probably enough time to get more in stock. I take the Wii U as an example by Christmas it wasn't hard at all to find one. My thought is your profit margin will decrease the longer you wait. The way it is now if you are willing to ship overseas you can make more money. Granted though I think you would make more if you wait till after the 15th to sell it. Just my thought though.

I honestly haven't been keeping up with this thread that much and I'm sure this has been covered numerous times, but with the system a week and a half away I'm curious what launch games everyone seems sold on. I'm definitely in for NBA 2K14 and the other two I'm considering are Killzone and NFS. I just feel like NFS will be the same experience as current gen and I've never been a huge KZ fan. Somebody convince me that the next-gen versions will blow me away... :D
Lego Marvel and Injustice. I have not played either and these are games that I am buying just so I have something to play on PS4.

I agree out the door yea but I remember reading something about them slowly trickling out. I think most retailer's do not want to over sell the console. Even the ~month wait is probably enough time to get more in stock. I take the Wii U as an example by Christmas it wasn't hard at all to find one. My thought is your profit margin will decrease the longer you wait. The way it is now if you are willing to ship overseas you can make more money. Granted though I think you would make more if you wait till after the 15th to sell it. Just my thought though.
the wii u though is a different thing i think. there wasnt a ton of hype around it and the fanboys that wanted it right away got it. did the wii u even sell out at launch? ps4 has the most momentum behind it out of all 3 consoles. ill keep an eye on craigslist to see what people have them for and ebay to gauge a possible price.

With the Playstation 4, I'm trying not to have a backlog. Like, at all. My biggest problem I've been having is that I've been buying games to "save" money, but I never get to them.

I have my Playstation 4 and Killzone: Shadow Fall paid off in full. I do not plan on buying anything else on launch day, but I am interested in Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed 4, Knack, Injustice and Skylanders. I don't plan on buying anything until I at least finish up the Single Player in Killzone and play my fill in multi-player.

With Playstation Plus I'll also be getting Contrast and Resogun. I'm interested in both, especially Contrast. It looks like a really stylish platformer and I really love the art-style. I already have Flower and Flow, so those will cross-over to the PS4. Neither one are long games, but I think they'll be worth playing again.

I'm going to try to get Skylanders on Thanksgiving at Toys R Us for $37. After that I'll either go for Knack or Assassin's Creed 4.

bread's done
Back