PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Anyone know how far in advance you'll get a call from gamestop telling you if you can pick yours up at midnight.  I'll be seriously pissed if i don't get one on the 15th having preordered last weekend of july

Cant wait to get my ps4,This will be my first system on day one.Cant wait to get the B2G1 deal at target will be a great year for gaming.

PS4 video services making the launch; Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, Crackle, Crunchyroll, EPIX, NBA Game Time, NHL GameCenter, Redbox, VUDU and YuppTV. 

No Live Events I guess, but hopefully it will come to the PS4 sooner rather than later.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the Playstation 4, I'm trying not to have a backlog. Like, at all. My biggest problem I've been having is that I've been buying games to "save" money, but I never get to them.
Same here. One retail game at a time for me this gen.

I did that mostly this gen, but built a backlog after getting a PS3 in 2012 and picking up a bunch of games for cheap that I mostly still haven played. Mainly because it coincided with meeting my fiancée and work getting a lot busier shortly after picking up the console and games, so I just haven't had the time to make the dent in them that I would have liked. Not that I'm complaining as I'm much happier now. Just less hobby time is all.

Here's the PS4 unboxing and teardown video:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/11/playstation4-teardown-video/

ibjd1E1MTIedKS.gif

Same here. One retail game at a time for me this gen.

I did that mostly this gen, but built a backlog after getting a PS3 in 2012 and picking up a bunch of games for cheap that I mostly still haven played. Mainly because it coincided with meeting my fiancée and work getting a lot busier shortly after picking up the console and games, so I just haven't had the time to make the dent in them that I would have liked. Not that I'm complaining as I'm much happier now. Just less hobby time is all.
I say this every generation. The problem is, I like variety can can get bored. This gen will be no different I am sure.

I say this every generation. The problem is, I like variety can can get bored. This gen will be no different I am sure.
I don't really have that issue as I pretty much only play one game at a time. Maybe two if I'm playing one multiplayer and one single player. It's just a matter of having too much on the shelf that never gets played (sold off a bunch of unplayed games from last gen after moving on to this gen), feeling pressure to clear the backlog rather than just relax and enjoy games at whatever pace etc.

I don't really have that issue as I pretty much only play one game at a time. Maybe two if I'm playing one multiplayer and one single player. It's just a matter of having too much on the shelf that never gets played (sold off a bunch of unplayed games from last gen after moving on to this gen), feeling pressure to clear the backlog rather than just relax and enjoy games at whatever pace etc.
I like variety too but i play fifa pretty much every night and play good single player games as they come out. Unfortunately at launch i'll have 2 fps and fifa. I'll probably sell killzone on ebay once i'm done with it or at least hold onto in until thanksgiving so i can show off the ps4 to relatives. I'll get an xbone eventually too because i want to play KI, halo, and maybe a alan wake sequel eventually. Was waiting outside gamestop to buy an extra ps4 controller today but thought better of it and started a checking account with the money instead and set up direct deposit for an xbone which i'll get sometime around next year if i deem it worth it. edit on a side note anyone think xbone will get a halo 5 bundle for $500 with the game or a price drop by this time next year? If halo ain't out by christmas next year i'll be super surprised

Being a dad of 2 boys, I don't have a lot of time. So I game pretty sparingly anymore. But when I do, I can end up staying up late grinding out a game... When I am forced to stop, it may be a while until I get back to it. By then, something new and shiny comes out and gets me all excited and I forget about what I was working on. Or, because of my obsessive compulsiveness, I will try to complete a game to 1000% and those last few items I have to do take forever and I get bored. Then the game just sits and collects dust.

Regardless, I just don't have enough time to simply play a game, complete it, sell it and make a decent amount back. By the time I am ready to unload a game, it's worthless.

Regardless, I just don't have enough time to simply play a game, complete it, sell it and make a decent amount back. By the time I am ready to unload a game, it's worthless.
Yeah, I don't buy a lot of games at launch. I do a lot of buying games for $20-30 and selling them for $10-20. I don't really need the money back, but I never replay and hate clutter (so I don't collect anything or keep stuff around that I'm not using) so I figure I might as well get a little cash back. Especially since selling on Amazon is so easy since you can just buy shipping from them (with free delivery confirmation for USPS) and print the label at home and not hassle with the post office.

Anything that's truly worthless (i.e. not going to sell for at least $10) I just donate to Goodwill.

Yeah, I don't buy a lot of games at launch. I do a lot of buying games for $20-30 and selling them for $10-20. I don't really need the money back, but I never replay and hate clutter (so I don't collect anything or keep stuff around that I'm not using) so I figure I might as well get a little cash back. Especially since selling on Amazon is so easy since you can just buy shipping from them (with free delivery confirmation for USPS) and print the label at home and not hassle with the post office.

Anything that's truly worthless (i.e. not going to sell for at least $10) I just donate to Goodwill.
That sounds like a good idea. Maybe consider donating it to something like http://www.childsplaycharity.org/about? Heck i have 360 games on my shelf and i sold my 360 6 months ago.

But this gen there is the option of PS+. On day one you'll get Resogun + Contrast. Plus more to come monthly. Don't Starve, Outlast, Drive Club, and Secret Ponchos already confirmed to come later.

If you already purchased Sound Shapes, Escape Plan(was vita only previously) Flow, and Flower PS4 versions will be free, if you want to play them again. I think even FF14 PS4 will be free in Feb 2014 if you have the PS3 version.

Then let's not forget the free PS4 games, which will not require a PS+ subscription at all, even for multiplayer:

-Warframe **launch

-Planetside 2 **late 2013 / early 2014

-DC Universe Online **launch

-War Thunder **later in 2013

-Blacklight Retribution **late 2013 / early 2014

So people can (if they're interested in mentioned games) already have a backlog/variety of games ready to go w/o buying anything extra. If you're interested in what PS+ offers or just playing multiplayer on PS4, PS+ should offer a lot of variety of *free games if you get bored of AC4, BF4, etc.

I'm not getting a PS4 on launch, but it looks like I will accumulate a backlog of games to play, at no extra cost, once I do finally adopt. There are still so many multi-gen or previous-gen only games still coming out, that w/o backwards compatibility, I have no reason to be an early adopter.

Having a weird feeling now. I don't really plan on picking up many launch titles at first as there are only a couple that I am interested in. However I cannot wait for the console itself ... even without any games  :dunce: . I think I am just getting new console fever now as it seems that the days are moving by so slow waiting for next Friday ... 

Games that run on the PSN servers will require PS+, those that don't (like MMORPGs) won't.

http://www.destructoid.com/ps4-s-dc-universe-online-planetside-2-won-t-need-ps-plus-256387.phtml
What KillerRamen said.

I could have been wrong about some of the games I mentioned, but that link confirms at least Planetside 2 and DCUO. Also FF14 won't require an extra online fee (PS+) since it already has its own fee. That would be like charging to use a Netflix app on top of a Netflix subscription, that's ludicrous.

PS4 video services making the launch; Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, Crackle, Crunchyroll, EPIX, NBA Game Time, NHL GameCenter, Redbox, VUDU and YuppTV.

No Live Events I guess, but hopefully it will come to the PS4 sooner rather than later.
I hope tune in radio comes soon. I've loved using it ever since the PS3 app was released.

What KillerRamen said.

I could have been wrong about some of the games I mentioned, but that link confirms at least Planetside 2 and DCUO. Also FF14 won't require an extra online fee (PS+) since it already has its own fee. That would be like charging to use a Netflix app on top of a Netflix subscription, that's ludicrous.
You mean like Microsoft does?

Having a weird feeling now. I don't really plan on picking up many launch titles at first as there are only a couple that I am interested in. However I cannot wait for the console itself ... even without any games :dunce: . I think I am just getting new console fever now as it seems that the days are moving by so slow waiting for next Friday ...
I'm considering getting it more and more because I have the money to buy the console now and I may not come time when there are several games I want for it. I think my attitude right now is if I can find one in the wild I will get one, but I may not even pick up anything as the F2P stuff (including the free PS+ games) will probably tide me over til Infamous comes out and I'm not that excited by the launch line-up.

Well seeing how ps3 is still selling for $200-250 I doubt we see a price drop anytime soon. So whether or not you get one now or a year from now doesn't make much difference

I wouldn't be surprised if next holiday there are giftcard offers though, I got my 360 a year after it came out and it came with a $100 giftcard.

What KillerRamen said.

how sure are you about fifa. I have too nany free games on ps+ to cancel now but that's the main game I play online and I'm sure alot of people are the same

Maybe a weird question but does anyone know exactly what power cord is going to be used for PS4? I know it will have an internal power supply but will, say, the PS3 slim cord be identical?

LOL, I have a complicated entertainment system and receiver setup so I'm trying to get as much ready now as possible so launch day is hassle-free.

Maybe a weird question but does anyone know exactly what power cord is going to be used for PS4? I know it will have an internal power supply but will, say, the PS3 slim cord be identical?

LOL, I have a complicated entertainment system and receiver setup so I'm trying to get as much ready now as possible so launch day is hassle-free.
I could be wrong but I believe Sony has used the same plug for every console they have released including handhelds. The only difference being it either plugged into an inline box, or directly to the back of a console.

I could be wrong but I believe Sony has used the same plug for every console they have released including handhelds. The only difference being it either plugged into an inline box, or directly to the back of a console.
Anyone mentioned how long it is? Would like to measure if it will fit where i plan on putting it.

Really? Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I can think of a different one even from PS3 fat to slim. Isn't the fat a bulky circular cord with a 3 prong style for the system side like that goes into computers and TVs? Then the slim has a more flat cord with a 2 circular prong plug for the back of the system? I can't picture when goes into the adapter from the wall for my Vita or PSP.

Yeah, I'm curious about the length, too. I hope they give it a bit longer than the PS3. Does anyone know what you might even call this kind of cord in case I would want to go on eBay or somewhere to get a generic longer one?

Is everyone else maxing out their receivers and TVs of HDMI ports with no backwards compatibility?

Didn't see it mentioned but Knack's Quest just hit iOS.  It's a match-3 game and you can unlock items for Knack proper once it launches. Played it for a bit. It's a solid little game.

Didn't see it mentioned but Knack's Quest just hit iOS. It's a match-3 game and you can unlock items for Knack proper once it launches. Played it for a bit. It's a solid little game.
Cool, thanks for the heads-up. I really think it's pretty neat that Sony is doing this with mobile games on non-Sony platforms that tie into their franchises. Great idea. I know that Ratchet and Clank has one coming out as well.

Amazon has Call of Duty: Ghosts (Normal, Hardened, Prestige), Knack and Killzone: Shadowfall listed and "In Stock." So they should be shipping soonish.

Thanks Jedolley. I was just thinking I might want to put in a larger drive right off the bat. I was wondering if I should use a 1TB or something higher. Anyone else tossing on in right out of the gate?

bread's done
Back