PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

On a side note anyone know how big the gap is for usb on the ps4?  Don't want my flash drive to be too wide to actually fit. I remember on the 360 with the usb door a few had trouble fitting

My 360 has been relegated to the bedroom to make space, I probably would've actually gotten rid of it completely but my wife is completely obsessed with Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Fable and is usually playing at least one game in one of those series at any given time.

Are you guys going to stack your PS3 onto your PS4 or completely remove a system from your entertainment center?

Both the PS3 and 360 are being moved to the office upstairs. Hopefully I'll find the time to finish some of my backlog. I really should sell/trade them.

Well, we are supposed to get a new PS4 game reveal today. Adam Boyes posted on Twitter about 6-7 hours ago that we should be getting some sort of reveal any time now, and Santa Sony Monica retweeted it. Hoping that means we find out what their game is.

My PS4 is shipping now according to Amazon. Can't wait. Also Injustice for PS4 first of all exists contrary to no information about it, and has a 21 GB min install.

Sweet thanks for the link. Still on the wall to update now (so I dont have to re-download/copy over later) or wait until holiday sales come.
That 1 TB Travelstar for 69.99 is a pretty good price via Amazon. I just ordered mine....will get here Friday with the system.

The reviews for Killzone are very mixed and the ones for Knack are just bad, maybe I'll just buy Skylanders...

Yea knack getting bad reviews, but they are the worst reviews I have seen...

Killzone getting good reviews in my opinion anything above a 7 is still good!  IGN gave it an 8

FIFA and NBA getting great reviews! That is a shock seeing as how sports games didn't fare well with the last launch.

Knack is definitely going to be a free game soon!

Yea knack getting bad reviews, but they are the worst reviews I have seen...

Killzone getting good reviews in my opinion anything above a 7 is still good! IGN gave it an 8

FIFA and NBA getting great reviews! That is a shock seeing as how sports games didn't fare well with the last launch.

Knack is definitely going to be a free game soon!
how do you guys know knack will be free? If that's true I am returning it.

PS Plus gives new free games every month.  Mostly first party games as they get older.  Our bet is that after Driveclub, Knack will be the next full fledged title to get the PS PLus treatment.  It won't be for a while, but it is the most obvious game to get it!

Serisoulsy thinking about going to bar next to gamestop to watch football game instead of going home and coming back after work tommorow.   But that would kind of  negate my b2g1 deal.  On a side note is stacking the ps3 and ps4 like someone suggested safe?

They don't and it won't.
Um Saints Row 3, Infamous 1 and 2, Xcom Enemy Unknown, Demon Souls, and a bunch of other much higher profile games than knack have been free on ps+. Some of them not even published by sony. If sony eventually gives away one of their best games like infamous 2 for free and even convinces publishers like EA to give stuff away free I don't see why they wouldn't give away a game that will most likely get lost in the shuffle like knack. Just playing devils advocate

Um Saints Row 3, Infamous 1 and 2, Xcom Enemy Unknown, Demon Souls, and a bunch of other much higher profile games than knack have been free on ps+. Some of them not even published by sony. If sony eventually gives away one of their best games like infamous 2 for free and even convinces publishers like EA to give stuff away free I don't see why they wouldn't give away a game that will most likely get lost in the shuffle like knack. Just playing devils advocate
And how long after the release of those games did they go free?

People are acting like Knack is going to go free tomorrow.

Not saying that but 6 months down the line or a year maybe. But it's a first party that I can wait to play. on a side note will the ps4 support 1680x1050 well? I really would like a definitive answer to this

Last edited by a moderator:
Not saying that but 6 months down the line or a year maybe. But it's a first party that I can wait to play. on a side note will the ps4 support 1680x1050 well? I really would like a definitive answer to this
That was my point and I even said that in my post... I don't mean tomorrow or in a month. I just know eventually it will go free. I would rather not even purchase it when for me I don't feel like it will be an experience that I missed. I can wait till it is free or if it's not I will pass.

Nobody can ever be sure what will hit PS+. Everyone thought we were going to get Sly 4 which came out in February...still haven't seen. I think Europe is getting PlayStation All Stars for Vita, America hasn't seen either copy, we got multiplayer for Uncharted 3 but no single player. No Killzone. No Resistance. No Uncharted 2.

Does it seem like it should? Sure. But I think people overestimate how often titles like this come out.

Nobody can ever be sure what will hit PS+. Everyone thought we were going to get Sly 4 which came out in February...still haven't seen. I think Europe is getting PlayStation All Stars for Vita, America hasn't seen either copy, we got multiplayer for Uncharted 3 but no single player. No Killzone. No Resistance. No Uncharted 2.

Does it seem like it should? Sure. But I think people overestimate how often titles like this come out.
how is ps+ going to work with the ps4 out now. every month now, we will get ps3, ps4 and ps vita games? the ps4 library isnt going to be big for awhile. so on the ps4 side, its going to be slim pickens and the most obvious choice is the game that reviewed very mediocre.

Well for now we will get indie games as has already been stated, we are pretty much set through maybe March witht he games announced for free, then after that I am not sure?  I could see knack in May or June.  The only reason why we have a better idea is there is not a lot to chose from as far as free games.  PS Plus started near the end of the life cycle of the PS3 and therefore had a lot to chose from.  Knack is the only launch title that makes sense for PS Plus.  We will get it eventually

Excited for some oft he announced PS PLus games

Resogun

Contrast

Outlast

Drive CLub

Secret Ponchos

Don't Starve

Even if it did, it would still be bad. I was hopeful it would at least have a deeper combat system than what was shown on the surface. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

How to swap your HDD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8_nt2Dwf78

how is ps+ going to work with the ps4 out now. every month now, we will get ps3, ps4 and ps vita games? the ps4 library isnt going to be big for awhile. so on the ps4 side, its going to be slim pickens and the most obvious choice is the game that reviewed very mediocre.
I think PS4 games from PS+ would be mostly indie games. PS3, PSVita, than 3 indies and maybe an interchangeable PS4 game from time to time. If Knack arrives on PS+, I say no sooner than late next year.

Even if it did, it would still be bad. I was hopeful it would at least have a deeper combat system than what was shown on the surface. Unfortunately, it doesn't.
Debatable. It has gotten good reviews from some places, so I'm sure there are people who will get enjoyment out of it and think it's a good game.

It's not getting horrible reviews. Just average.

How to swap your HDD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8_nt2Dwf78
Going to try to hunt down the firmware update/files, now....got a 1TB drive coming friday, too. Mine as well just swap it in pretty much right away.

Debatable. It has gotten good reviews from some places, so I'm sure there are people who will get enjoyment out of it and think it's a good game.

It's not getting horrible reviews. Just average.
1.5/5 and 5/10 is pretty terrible TBH.

I'm reading that PS4 will NOT support 3D Bluray now.  Possibly with a a future update?!?!  Hopefully the 1.50 update resolves this....I don't want to keep my PS3 plugged in.

I'm reading that PS4 will NOT support 3D Bluray now. Possibly with a a future update?!?! Hopefully the 1.50 update resolves this....I don't want to keep my PS3 plugged in.
Yeah, that was confirmed. No 3D Bluray support at launch. No word on when/if an update will fix it.

Moot for me as I have a standalone 3D and and an older stand alone 2D player I use for movies. I prefer saving the wear and tear on my consoles ,and too much hassle with remotes for PS3/4 since they won't work with my harmony without shelling out for an adapter (which would be a dumb purchase since I already had the stand alone players prior to PS3 purchase).

A 59 on Metacritic wouldn't stop me from playing a game. Only a couple reviews were straight negative.
Yeah I think I'll try it too. All the negative stuff seems to be centered around "Its not too deep in combat or story" some the same sites that gave Mario games high marks. Mario games have never been too deep in combat or story.

Game Informer says yeah, its simple, but its fun and charming. Thats all I was expecting. It never looked like a serious or deep game IMO

The reviews for Killzone are very mixed and the ones for Knack are just bad, maybe I'll just buy Skylanders...
Looks like in the 7-9 range for Killzone which sounds about right for a FPS game these days, especially a launch title.

Knack scores are surprising though. Looked like it had a lot of charm. I grabbed it as part of the Target+30% deal so I'm sticking with it. If it's as bad as the reviews say I can always dump it (probably for more than I paid).

Has the new PS4 gamesharing rules been discussed here?

Just when i was starting to get into it, it's gone.

I understand it that it can be on two consoles and the person must be signed in.

Not going to work lel.

I think resells will work on their own but just one.

Looks like in the 7-9 range for Killzone which sounds about right for a FPS game these days, especially a launch title.

Knack scores are surprising though. Looked like it had a lot of charm. I grabbed it as part of the Target+30% deal so I'm sticking with it. If it's as bad as the reviews say I can always dump it (probably for more than I paid).
Yeah same here. I bet it would sell BIN on eBay for $50 within a day, with free ship which would be break even with taxes. Since my last post more bad reviews are flowing and I'm getting more skeptical. Maybe save the cash for Rivals, which is now listed TBA release on IGN, which seems odd

Serisoulsy thinking about going to bar next to gamestop to watch football game instead of going home and coming back after work tommorow. But that would kind of negate my b2g1 deal. On a side note is stacking the ps3 and ps4 like someone suggested safe?

I'm thinking stacking will be safe since PS4 will not generate much heat. It generates less heat than the PS3 (not sure which model). Also AFAIK there are no vents on top. My favorite thing about PS4 design is that the top is flat so it can be stacked!

It should be stated though that the chips used in the PS4 may be able to tolerate less heat than the PS3 chips did, but even so the temps should be low enough in PS4.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/23/playstation-4-operates-at-lower-temperature-than-playstation-3

PlayStation 4's operating temperature is listed as being between five and 35 degrees Celsius, which is cooler than the PS3. While Sony's current console is meant to run between 45 and 55 degrees Celsius, if it peaks at over 60 degrees you could encounter the infamous Yellow Light of Death, which essentially reduces your PS3 to a paperweight.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/23/the-playstation-4-is-less-likely-to-turn-your-entertainment-center-into-a-sauna/

It also reported that it runs at a relatively cool 41 degrees to 95 degrees Fahrenheit. The PlayStation 3 runs at around 113 degrees to 131 degrees Fahrenheit.
I think PS4 games from PS+ would be mostly indie games. PS3, PSVita, than 3 indies and maybe an interchangeable PS4 game from time to time. If Knack arrives on PS+, I say no sooner than late next year.
Agree on everything. PS4 PS+ games will definitely be tons of indies next year. The indie list for PS4 is very very long. Could see Knack in 6 months but agree probably late next year.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone got their $5 promo code from Amazon for the PSN deal?  I'm not expecting mine yet as the games just shipped, but I'd like to know what kind of turnaround time it's taking if they're sending them out yet.

pilferk:

Going to try to hunt down the firmware update/files, now....got a 1TB drive coming friday, too.  Mine as well just swap it in pretty much right away.

Same here, seems like a pretty cool "hack"! Hahaha.

I still haven't got my Promo code either.

sig.jpg

Just out of curiosity, has anyone got their $5 promo code from Amazon for the PSN deal? I'm not expecting mine yet as the games just shipped, but I'd like to know what kind of turnaround time it's taking if they're sending them out yet.
I got mine about 3 hours after my games shipped.

Demon’s Souls 2 PS4 reveal suggested by Driveclub delay leaker – rumour
Demon’s Souls 2 for PS4 has been touted by the same source that accurately leaked the Driveclub delay. It’s simply a rumour at this point, but judge for yourself here.

Demons_souls_black_phantom_ps3.jpg

We now know that Sony is revealing more PS4 titles at a pre-launch event tonight in the States. Hideo Kojima has promised a ‘mind-blowing’ PS4 announcement at the show.

Now, NeoGAF member famousmortimer – the same chap that correctly leaked the Driveclub delay a month back – had this to say about the event, and a possible Demon’s Souls 2 announcement:

“It’s been months and at that point I had no goddamn idea what the “launch event” even was. But at that time I was told “They are thinking about showing the Demon’s Souls spiritual successor” there.

“Now many people here have been calling it Demon’s Souls 2… it might be. I’m just passing on what was said. Also, at that point there were arguments about whether it was going to be shown at gamescom or TGS and then someone decided it would be shown at this.

“Months have passed. They may have chosen a different game. I have no clue. I’m just sharing what I’ve been told, WHICH IS OLD Info, so don’t kill the messenger if i’m wrong.

“There’s things I’m certain about. This isn’t one of them.”

The original Demon’s Souls was a PS3-exclusive, so if a sequel does exist there’s every possibility it could be platform-exclusive as well, although in these days of multi-format spreads it’s anyone’s guess. There’s also the little matter of Dark Souls 2 launching in 2014, so a more likely scenario could be that he game mentioned above is a PS4 port.

It’s anyone’s guess right now. So to that end, what do you think?

Via GameFront.

bread's done
Back