PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

still doesn't make much sense if both are free. haven't played contrast yet but resogun is cool. still haven't been able to get past first phase yet though. those stupid humans keep dying. i'm supposed to toss them around the level...
Check out my post on resogun a page or two back. I think a brief on screen tutorial would help this game out big time.

Feel the same with contrast, played through the first phase of the night club and noticed control and collision detection issues.... not good on a platformer. Might not go back to it with so many other options at my disposal. Cool concept though; maybe the psn+ bump will be enough for them to start a sequel with that all worked out.

Check out my post on resogun a page or two back. I think a brief on screen tutorial would help this game out big time.

Feel the same with contrast, played through the first phase of the night club and noticed control and collision detection issues.... not good on a platformer. Might not go back to it with so many other options at my disposal. Cool concept though; maybe the psn+ bump will be enough for them to start a sequel with that all worked out.
Cool. So you have to take the humans to those green spots on the map where you get shields and stuff? I thought you just had to protect them i've just been swooping in and grabbing them when i see em running

Did this thread get butchered? I could have sworn it was 100+ pages longer.

Edit: I see... there are two different threads (I.e. This & the preorder one---titles made the confusing when searching for "what's new" and viewing by latest posts)

Anyways... does anyone know where I go to turn off automatic funding? My gf's PS+ had expired so I let her use the 30 day code included in the PS4 box and it worked although it required that we enter CC information for automatic funding. I know you can turn that off---as well as delete the CC information but I'm not sure how to find that option through the PS4 interface.

Also--- are we going to have to have a valid PS+ subscription for each user ID that wants to play online? My GF and I have our own Vita so in the past I've bought separate PS+ accounts so that we could each have access to the free games on our devices as well as get services we both like such as Music Unlimited for a discounted price... but she doesn't use her Vita much anymore so I'm not sure what the upside is.... but she plays a lot of COD (helps her stay in contact with family that live across the country and in PR) and I have my own set of games I like playing and we enjoy having separate online identities.

Lastly---I really feel for everyone having problems with their PS4. If I didn't read these forums I would have NO idea that these problems existed. Setup couldn't have been easier, download times were very very fast (I waited until Saturday afternoon) I got online matches in all the games I tried (Haven't played BF4 yet so that could change) and it generally was a very good experience.

If Sony would just get access to the HBO Go app I would forgo on getting an Xbox One.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't for the life of me get the 30 day or the few 7 day trials to redeem the other day but the $10 credit worked fine. I'm hoping it was just an error with the system. I'm good till next december but i know i'll manage to lose the 30 day trial by then
Wouldn't matter if you lost it anyway since it expires at the end of March next year.

So I just got the flashing Blue light of death. basically get the PS logo then it blinks blue and turns off. I fixed it by deleting the software update. Also supposedly if your PS was manufactured in Yutai CHina it will be a bunk one or so says the support forums.

I'm really not digging Contrast, I just have no clue what I'm doing in Resogun. Warframe seems fun though, just played through a mission on that and it was really solid. I rented Knack to see if it was actally as bad as the reviews say, and yeah it's pretty bad. The controls are just awful, it's filled with cheap hits and frankly the art style sucks.

Is anyone else making their game decisions based on how little space the game takes? I've installed 3 games and I'm down to about 300GB free space on my hard drive.

If you own the disc based games why would you keep them installed after playing through them? I do understand there are "some" benefits to installing a game to the hard drive but you will continue to need the disc to play it.... so why keep all these games installed? Am I missing something?

If you own the disc based games why would you keep them installed after playing through them? I do understand there are "some" benefits to installing a game to the hard drive but you will continue to need the disc to play it.... so why keep all these games installed? Am I missing something?
It's a requirement to have the game installed on the PS4/Xbox One hard drive and also have the disc, to play them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's a requirement to have the game installed on the PS4/Xbox One hard drive and also have the disc, to play them. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Then I must have top secret speed WiFi because I was able to play both COD and KZ with minimal installations... unless the installation can run while I'm playing the game.

COD did require a further installation before I could play online though.

No way it stalled many many many GB's in that short of a time though.

Then I must have top secret speed WiFi because I was able to play both COD and KZ with minimal installations... unless the installation can run while I'm playing the game.

COD did require a further installation before I could play online though.

No way it stalled many many many GB's in that short of a time though.
It can actually install in the background while you play. And it installs GBs fast.

Be careful, because if you have a lot of games and don't pay attention to these things, you could run out of hard drive space eventually.

I'm a bit fascinated by how many people don't understand how Resogun works... I had never watched any trailers or read Anything about it at all, yet I fully grasped the concept in minutes.

I'd be interested in what percentage of us grew up on NES/SNES and were able to figure it out. Hand-holding tutorials are a relatively new thing so I wonder if people who maybe didn't game in the early days are having a harder time since basically every game had to be learned on your own back then.

Hope I didn't come across as a huge ass. :lol:

That's right, when you're done with the game or traded in the game you delete its install data. Basic hard drive management.

I'm a bit fascinated by how many people don't understand how Resogun works... I had never watched any trailers or read Anything about it at all, yet I fully grasped the concept in minutes.

I'd be interested in what percentage of us grew up on NES/SNES and were able to figure it out. Hand-holding tutorials are a relatively new thing so I wonder if people who maybe didn't game in the early days are having a harder time since basically every game had to be learned on your own back then.

Hope I didn't come across as a huge ass. :lol:
My first console was a 2600, but admittedly I've always been bad at shmups.

Any else having issues getting the additional information on the bottom menu to load. For example, the first day when I installed Resogun, there would be a menu below the icon that showed things like Concept Art. Now nothing shows under the icon and when I press Down on the D-Pad nothing happens. Before it would move down to the other menu options.

The same thing is happening with the "What's New" Icon. When I click on it in order to view the feed from friends and such, nothing happens. There is no additional information that can be received from that icon.

Sort of along the same lines, every time I boot up NBA 2k14 I have to fill out the information to register for my player. However whenever I try to submit the registration it tells me that the "2KSports Server is not available at this time."

Its almost like there is an issue with the network connection but everything else seems to work fine on the console, Friends List, PSN Store, Downloads...everything else doesn't seem to have a network issue.

On a more positive note, I was just sitting around watching some of the Feeds from Live from PlayStation and while I thought it would be gimmicky its actually a bit interesting.

I have the same problem with the what's new tab but the ones for the games seem to come and go whenever they want.
Any else having issues getting the additional information on the bottom menu to load. For example, the first day when I installed Resogun, there would be a menu below the icon that showed things like Concept Art. Now nothing shows under the icon and when I press Down on the D-Pad nothing happens. Before it would move down to the other menu options.

The same thing is happening with the "What's New" Icon. When I click on it in order to view the feed from friends and such, nothing happens. There is no additional information that can be received from that icon.

Sort of along the same lines, every time I boot up NBA 2k14 I have to fill out the information to register for my player. However whenever I try to submit the registration it tells me that the "2KSports Server is not available at this time."

Its almost like there is an issue with the network connection but everything else seems to work fine on the console, Friends List, PSN Store, Downloads...everything else doesn't seem to have a network issue.

On a more positive note, I was just sitting around watching some of the Feeds from Live from PlayStation and while I thought it would be gimmicky its actually a bit interesting.

Not really liking Contrast. I'm on the second act doing the puppet show (best part of the game so far). The game is good though and the music / art direction is really well done. The story is really good too though rushed at times.

But my gripes about it is that it is a horrible platformer with clunky controls, there is slowdown in areas for some reason, camera acts weird and controls aren't that good.
The atmosphere of the game is top notch.

You're right though, the control mechanics completely cause the game to fall apart. I can't tell you the number of times I've had my character get stuck in the level geometry and have been forced to reboot the game to get things working again. The framerate is also all over the place.

At least Contrast isn't constantly corrupting my save file like Battlefield is. Aren't launch games great? ;)

That's accurate and how PC games have worked for years. I do question some installs though, because it seems like a few still run off the disc with only the assets installed for super fast load times.

I'm going to give it more of a chance, but I'm not digging Killzone a lot so far. I may be playing a lot of Injustice & Warframe til March...

Seems like the system could use some simple updates as well. As mentioned above when a game is selected some options will appear below that seem like something I can navigate to but sometimes I can't and sometimes they don't show up at all.

If a game update downloads and the connection is broken I have 99 notifications that the file is ready to install next time I turn on the system and the notification box pops up 99 times.

Also, it seems like downloads won't attempt to reconnect automatically if they time out on 1st try.

May be coincidence but it seems like the ps4 keeps crashing my motorola surfboard cable modem and it is constantly rebooting itself since Friday. Is this reported as an issue anywhere?

May be coincidence but it seems like the ps4 keeps crashing my motorola surfboard cable modem and it is constantly rebooting itself since Friday. Is this reported as an issue anywhere?
Haven't heard anyone else mention a problem like that yet. I also have a Surfboard modem and everything seems to be working as usual.

That's what I read the other day. However, I can't find it now. 1.5 TB may possibly be the max size for 9.5 hard drives. There was talk on Neogaf that

The official word is that only 9.5mm HDD's are supported, but reports from a German site who apparently tore it down confirm that the 12.5mm HDD's fit.

If I'm not mistaken the largest 12.5mm HDD out on the market is 1.5TB. But will this have reifications for the noise output? Will it cause heating issues?
I was planning on buying a a regular 1.5TB hard drive, until I read this article on IGN where they recommended getting a hybrid SSHD due to the speed improvements.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Hard_Drive_Speed_Test_Comparison

The atmosphere of the game is top notch.

You're right though, the control mechanics completely cause the game to fall apart. I can't tell you the number of times I've had my character get stuck in the level geometry and have been forced to reboot the game to get things working again. The framerate is also all over the place.

At least Contrast isn't constantly corrupting my save file like Battlefield is. Aren't launch games great? ;)
That is right, loving the feeling of the game. I wish it was a bustling city though. The game takes away from the feeling when the audio stops working and comes in and out. I know the game is about shadows but I don't feel like I'm in a noire European city. I feel like I'm alone most of the time just running form point a to b.

Yeah, I'm getting those same issues. I beat the game last night and I have to give it a 4/10. It has a lot of potential but potential doesn't drive a game. Though I must say the puppet level should have been the full game. Even though it wasn't amazing, it was the best part of the game. Reminded me of Puppeteer. I would love a mashup between the two games just for that scene actually.

So I beat the Ghosts campaign and it was fun.   Tried multiplayer out of nostalgia for COD4 and don't like it.  What will get me more money cragislist or ebay most likely?

I was planning on buying a a regular 1.5TB hard drive, until I read this article on IGN where they recommended getting a hybrid SSHD due to the speed improvements.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Hard_Drive_Speed_Test_Comparison
I didn't think the actual results showed improvement. The actual times were all over the place, sometimes stock PS4 hd was fastest, sometimes the SSHD, and sometimes the SSD. Not sure how they came the conclusion that the SSHD was the best when each one did the best about the same as the others and the improvements for each were very minimal.

Is anyone else making their game decisions based on how little space the game takes? I've installed 3 games and I'm down to about 300GB free space on my hard drive.
There's not a problem unless you need to have 10 games installed at a time. They install quickly so just delete the oldest.

Has anyone noticed while watching netflix....and I try to turn off the dualshock 4... netflix pauses when I press the PS button..on the ps3 it didn't pause netflix when I try and turn off the controller

Y does netflix pause when I press the PS button?

Am I missing the option somewhere or can you no longer get notifications for friends coming online?
I can't find a way to delete people from your list anymore either. I'm loving the new UI but it definitely seems a little bare-bone with the features. Hopefully a lot of these little things get added back in soon.

I can't find a way to delete people from your list anymore either. I'm loving the new UI but it definitely seems a little bare-bone with the features. Hopefully a lot of these little things get added back in soon.
Select the person in the friends list and hit the Options button on the controller for Delete and Block options.

Battlefield 4 issues are pissing me off to no end. A multitude of Origin issues, error codes people are getting, servers were down for a while before.

And Blacklight...that hasn't worked decently since launch. I got into a match last night after about 10 minutes of trying and it was 1v2.

See I can deal with servers being crap and PSN not working for crap. Same thing happened when I had my PS3 first couple weeks things were in the shitter. I can't handle getting a console that will not start up at all. 

Any way to disable the ps4 from asking which user is using the keyboard/mouse?   I have it hooked up just in case i need to enter some text but it's becoming a real nuisance to select a user for each input all the time. 

Any way to disable the ps4 from asking which user is using the keyboard/mouse? I have it hooked up just in case i need to enter some text but it's becoming a real nuisance to select a user for each input all the time.
Settings > Log-In Settings > Log-In to PS4 Automatically

Um - so apparently every time I play Knack I have to delete the game install and reinstall it. Otherwise it won't continue my game and tells me it needs to "download". It shows a progress bar that never updates (with a timer showing 0:00 remaining). That is a little... weird. Anyone else have that sort of problem with a disc-based game? So far this is the only one I have so I can't test it with others. I should be getting NBA 2K14 Monday or Tuesday though.

Um - so apparently every time I play Knack I have to delete the game install and reinstall it. Otherwise it won't continue my game and tells me it needs to "download". It shows a progress bar that never updates (with a timer showing 0:00 remaining). That is a little... weird. Anyone else have that sort of problem with a disc-based game? So far this is the only one I have so I can't test it with others. I should be getting NBA 2K14 Monday or Tuesday though.
Haven't had that problem have Knack/KZ/Marvel all installed and never make me reinstall.

Dormin said:
Haven't had that problem have Knack/KZ/Marvel all installed and never make me reinstall.
Can't wait to get NBA 2K14 to see if it happens with that. But so far 2 out of 2 times I've played Knack (since I first put it in the system on day 1 to get the install done) I've had to do that.

It is a very odd problem - if it happens with NBA 2K14 I wouldn't know what to think. I mean, then it wouldn't be a problem with the game. But in what way would a hardware problem cause that sort of thing? Unless maybe it is a disc sector issue or something. Though the game plays just fine once I do the delete/re-install.

My "whats new" section only seems to be updating with my stuff, not any friends.  I guess we can chalk all these glitches up to early adoption.  I'm sure we are going to see a plethora of firmware updates over the next few months adding functionality and squashing bugs.

Can't wait to get NBA 2K14 to see if it happens with that. But so far 2 out of 2 times I've played Knack (since I first put it in the system on day 1 to get the install done) I've had to do that.It is a very odd problem - if it happens with NBA 2K14 I wouldn't know what to think. I mean, then it wouldn't be a problem with the game. But in what way would a hardware problem cause that sort of thing? Unless maybe it is a disc sector issue or something. Though the game plays just fine once I do the delete/re-install.
So what are your impressions of Knack so far? I'm still pretty interested in it but so far I've been able to resist temptation. lol

Finally received Knack from Gamefly. Add me on PSN (same name) for the item share stuff--still don't really know what that means, but I'm curious. I'll be starting it up tonight.

Select the person in the friends list and hit the Options button on the controller for Delete and Block options.
That still didn't work, but I figured it out.

Once you select the user there's a "..." symbol that brings up these option once you click on it.

I weny out and bought the ps4 controller charger. Is the ps4 actually charging the cobtrillers when its off. My ps4 doesn't seem to charge controllers weekend its off. It does charge in standby. Is it necessary to purchase a controller charger now?

Can't wait to get NBA 2K14 to see if it happens with that. But so far 2 out of 2 times I've played Knack (since I first put it in the system on day 1 to get the install done) I've had to do that.

It is a very odd problem - if it happens with NBA 2K14 I wouldn't know what to think. I mean, then it wouldn't be a problem with the game. But in what way would a hardware problem cause that sort of thing? Unless maybe it is a disc sector issue or something. Though the game plays just fine once I do the delete/re-install.
backup your save to a USB for Knack and try reinitializing the system or reinstalling the update. It sounds like its your software personally. Mine was really slow and ended up blue pulsing I reinitiallized and it has been like a champ.

I weny out and bought the ps4 controller charger. Is the ps4 actually charging the cobtrillers when its off. My ps4 doesn't seem to charge controllers weekend its off. It does charge in standby. Is it necessary to purchase a controller charger now?
Settings > Power Save > look at the check boxes it tells you what it is doing when the system is off.

I was under the impression that it only charged controllers when it was on standby mode but I could be wrong.

bread's done
Back