PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Can't wait to get NBA 2K14 to see if it happens with that. But so far 2 out of 2 times I've played Knack (since I first put it in the system on day 1 to get the install done) I've had to do that.

It is a very odd problem - if it happens with NBA 2K14 I wouldn't know what to think. I mean, then it wouldn't be a problem with the game. But in what way would a hardware problem cause that sort of thing? Unless maybe it is a disc sector issue or something. Though the game plays just fine once I do the delete/re-install.
You've been having great luck with games lately haven't you?

I weny out and bought the ps4 controller charger. Is the ps4 actually charging the cobtrillers when its off. My ps4 doesn't seem to charge controllers weekend its off. It does charge in standby. Is it necessary to purchase a controller charger now?
It charges it in standby and your cellphone/Kindle/tablet chargers work too.

My "whats new" section only seems to be updating with my stuff, not any friends. I guess we can chalk all these glitches up to early adoption. I'm sure we are going to see a plethora of firmware updates over the next few months adding functionality and squashing bugs.
You can opt out of what to send friends, like trophies earned and such. When setting up privacy options, I made sure to do that because it would annoy me to be spammed with social stuff like that. TBH I wish I could get rid of the What's New section altogether because I didn't buy a PS4 for RSS feeds or blog walls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Killzone get a lot better?   I really miss the action packed kz2/3 compared to this.  Feel like I've been baited and switched even though i could have read reviews. 

It's been interesting to read people's quick impressions on their launch games. Here are mine:

• Assassin's Creed IV BF: N/A - waiting for 1080p patch
  • Battlefield 4: SP-only impressions - great graphics, and the gunplay is reminiscent of the last BF that I played (BFBC2; this is a plus for me). My save data somehow got corrupted, which was pretty annoying; luckily I'd only played through the first two missions
  • COD Ghosts: N/A - trying to decide if I want to keep it... already have two FPS, but it seems like the SP may be decent enough to warrant a playthrough
  • Contrast: Haven't been wowed with the gameplay, but the art direction is strong. Didi's mom has an... interesting silhouette >_>
  • FIFA 14: Not a huge fan of the sport but have fun with the games - graphics are good, and I've had fun playing the 3 matches or so I've played so far.
  • Injustice: First impressions - these graphics are rough! Probably very close to how it looks on PS3, though it's funny that the in-game graphics are actually better than the cinematics. The actual gameplay is fine
  • Killzone SF: SP-only impressions - it's certainly pretty, but the opening is rather boring. The stuff with the robot sidekick is kind of neat  
  • Knack: N/A - was trying to decide for a while if I wanted to keep it, and I've read enough from users to try it out myself
  • LEGO Marvel: Wasn't going to get this one as I have not liked the LEGO games in the past, but I've been having an absolute blast playing this with my GF. Looks great, has a great sense of humor, and it's great being able to play as so many different Marvel characters. If I had to say something negative, it'd be that some of the puzzle / level design has been a bit odd
  • NBA 2K14: My killer app, as I'm a huge basketball fan. I've been having a lot of fun with MyCareer, though my one frustration has been trying to grab rebounds with my center! I'm boxing out and everything and still can't seem to get my guy to actually grab the ball, even with decent rebounding stats. I've got Jamal Crawford-esque averages (high pts, almost no rebs or asts) with a 7'1" center!
  • NFS Rivals: N/A - waiting for Amazon to ship it still, which may finally happen today
  • Resogun: Definitely fun to play and pretty to look at, but it hasn't hooked me yet due to so many other games competing for my PS4 time so far
I'm going to try some of the online multiplayer later this week. Add me on PSN (ID: EternalVendetta) if you're looking for someone to play with!

I just got done talking with Amazon regarding my Need for Speed Rivals pre-order. They didn't get enough and they have no idea when they're getting more (or at least they wouldn't tell me). The guy did upgrade to overnight shipping, which is nice.

Is it me or when playing KZ, the ps4 is loud? I've played AC:IV and it's relatively quiet. Both are disc owned.
How is your system ventilation? I haven't played a lot of Killzone, but the system has always ran whisper quiet for me.

@killerramen

It's open area and the back has at least little under 1foot from behind my wall/blinds. When I play AC:IV its relatively quiet. Resogun and warframe are quiet too. I've yet to open Knack.

Well so far I have only played Madden, FIFA, Contrast, and Resogun.

Madden - God there really doesn't seem to be much of anything new.  Simple new gloss compared to current gen.

FIFA - Love it!  The new in air battles are very realistic, and the new animations are wonderful!

Contrast - Ok, glitchy at times, great original concept.  My wife actually played it and for the most part liked it.  she doesn't play very many games so that is a plus.

Resogun - The partical effects are amazing, simple yet fun game.  Shows me what to expect from games going forward with the ability to have so much going on.

Still have Killzone, BF4, NBA 2k and Injustice to play.  Both NBA and Injustice will show up today! :)

As for the other features, Netflix is much smoother and quicker compared to my PS3 which was a surprise.  Remote play is awesome!  Although I wish I could change the control layout, since mot games like FIFA and madden require you to hold the R2 for a lot of the time, it is hard having that be the touchpad.  but I am getting used to it.  Also I uploaded a goal I scored to Facebook, after it finished uploading though I went back into the game and it lost my connection to EA Sports and quicked me out of my ultimate team game.  So I guess I need to wait to upload clips!

My thoughts...

Injustice- Do not buy this unless you never played the game before. This is not a PS4 tech demo, this is a PS3 game that looks a fraction better (not much at all). Plays awesome though and it's a great game.

Lego Marvel- Great game. While the puzzles can be a bit odd and hard to figure out sometimes, it's still a fun time. Except for races because often times you can't figure out where the hell the next checkpoint is. I would recommend this.

Resogun- It's fun, and it's free. Need I say more?

Haven't tried Contrast yet.

I don't get why carriers do this. Surely it can't be that much cheaper?
It actually is. They can save a lot by forcing USPS to do the last end of the delivery instead of paying for a UPS driver and his truck to get it to you. That is why the USPS is losing money like crazy. They do not charge enough to cover costs. UPS and FedEx take advantage of that and use the USPS to do their final deliveries on cheaper shipping to cut their own costs.

Just catching up with this thread, seems like there's not much to write home about with the "next gen". The ~50 gig installs per game are a little ridiculous for a console, I don't understand why it's such a large chunk of space, games on the PC don't even take up that much space. I'm glad most of the games are coming out on the PC though.

How accurate are the internet speed test results?  I go to speedtest.net on a pc connected to exact same bridge and my results are like 1/3 higher.  Are they testing from a further server or something?

Speedtest.net is a pretty popular site and they're often used by ISPs to help you troubleshoot problems, so I'd say it's probably fairly accurate. The servers that are used are local and are chosen based on the best ping.

Which game should I pick up? Knack,BF4,killzone SF or AC4?
Assassin's Creed IV, hands down. BF4 is also probably a good choice, but DICE is having MP server issues from all I've heard plus crashing constantly. It will be worth picking up during the holidays on sale if they can clean up the issues.

Mixer23 said:
So what are your impressions of Knack so far? I'm still pretty interested in it but so far I've been able to resist temptation. lol
It is OK - not great and doesn't really demonstrate the "next gen" aspects of the console except maybe for the rendering of Knack himself (especially when he gets huge). The main reason I'm playing it is that it has 2-player coop so I can play it with my son. If I had to play it solo I'd probably wait until it was sub-$20.

Rohsiph said:
Finally received Knack from Gamefly. Add me on PSN (same name) for the item share stuff--still don't really know what that means, but I'm curious. I'll be starting it up tonight.
So far this is the way item sharing has been working for me. There are special hidden treasure chests (usually found behind breakable walls) that contain pieces to various power-ups. When you open the chest you can either take "your" item, or a different one that your friends have found. I'm not sure if those are the pieces they found from the same treasure chest but on some (not all) I've gotten a choice of 1 or 2 other pieces from people on my friends list. I think those are the only others playing the game - so if you start playing add me (Odibee).

Dormin said:
backup your save to a USB for Knack and try reinitializing the system or reinstalling the update. It sounds like its your software personally. Mine was really slow and ended up blue pulsing I reinitiallized and it has been like a champ.
Both times I did it, I backed up my save to the PS+ online server and then deleted all the installed data (thought not my save). The first time I thought it might be a glitch related to the way I first started the game - originally I put the disc in and started it up to get the install to occur but didn't actually play it. But the second time I had played it before so that was a bit more troubling. We'll see how it acts tonight when we play for the 3rd time.

Ok I need some advice.  My PS4 has been crashing and restarting itself ever since I got it last Friday (but not EVERY time I use it weirdly enough).  I can never replicate the problem, it's happened to me when I try to load up the main system menu, when I've tried to sync trophies, and also a few times when I've tried to start NBA 2K14 (the screen goes black for a few seconds and then the system just shuts down).  But it's frustrating because sometimes my system acts 100% fine and works great.  I just cannot for the life of me understand why sometimes it's great and other times it completely shits the bed.  I have the 1.50 patch on it too, I loaded that on from a usb stick right after I first got my PS4 set up.

So what do you guys suggest I do?  Should I try to wipe everything and reinstall the OS?  Should I just try to reset it to factory settings but not reinstall the OS itself?  Or should I just tell Sony to send me a cardboard box?  I would hate to have to send it back but it also makes me nervous as hell to have a system that I have no idea if it's going to work right from day to day.

does the ps4 support any headsets besides the one it comes packed with? i tried using my bluetooth PS3 mic and thats not supported. tried plugging in the usb dongle for my sony pulse headset thats not supported. the main reason i cant use the packed in mic is because the ear piece is to damn big for my ear! i use small ear buds and the packed in mic is just to big for my ear. guess i'll have to buy the camera and use the mic on that?

Damn wtf is UPS Surepost? My games from amazon shipped like last Wednesday and say they won't arrive until this friday.
I think that is the super cheap option where UPS ships to USPS and the USPS delivers to your house. It's the slowest shipping option on the planet if you ask me! Everytime it's shipped this way it takes forever!

I weny out and bought the ps4 controller charger. Is the ps4 actually charging the cobtrillers when its off. My ps4 doesn't seem to charge controllers weekend its off. It does charge in standby. Is it necessary to purchase a controller charger now?
I'm not sure it should charge when the PS4 is off but it does in stand by mode...also the PS3 charges dualshock 4 controllers...

does the ps4 support any headsets besides the one it comes packed with? i tried using my bluetooth PS3 mic and thats not supported. tried plugging in the usb dongle for my sony pulse headset thats not supported. the main reason i cant use the packed in mic is because the ear piece is to damn big for my ear! i use small ear buds and the packed in mic is just to big for my ear. guess i'll have to buy the camera and use the mic on that?
At a later date there will b an update that will let us use 'some' headsets...mostly high end ones

The PS4 is my favorite system so far. It's still not perfect, just look at all the issues some people are having. But it has good graphics and games that tend to be slightly better than some reviews have you believe, etc.

Crap! I was hoping my elite pulse headset will work with the ps4 when i bought it for$99 a couple of months before. Guess it doesnt yet. Wtf! You would think sony would have made this work day one. Grrr! Now i have to wait for a patch or something. Just hope sony doesnt screw me over and release a ps4 version headset soon and make mine useless!

Crap! I was hoping my elite pulse headset will work with the ps4 when i bought it for$99 a couple of months before. Guess it doesnt yet. Wtf! You would think sony would have made this work day one. Grrr! Now i have to wait for a patch or something. Just hope sony doesnt screw me over and release a ps4 version headset soon and make mine useless!
Well you can use it to plug in the controller. After you plug it up, hold the ps button then go to adjust devices. Select all audio through headphones. I haven't tests to see if chat works this way, but I believe it should.

Well you can use it to plug in the controller. After you plug it up, hold the ps button then go to adjust devices. Select all audio through headphones. I haven't tests to see if chat works this way, but I believe it should.

Il try this out later. Thanks.

Just catching up with this thread, seems like there's not much to write home about with the "next gen". The ~50 gig installs per game are a little ridiculous for a console, I don't understand why it's such a large chunk of space, games on the PC don't even take up that much space. I'm glad most of the games are coming out on the PC though.
PC games don't take up that much space because they were still 360 and PS3 games for the most part. Now we will see PC games take up that much space pretty soon. I mean COD has a 60+ GB install I believe.

Does Killzone get a lot better? I really miss the action packed kz2/3 compared to this. Feel like I've been baited and switched even though i could have read reviews.
It definitely gets better, but not quite as good as 2 & 3. It just feels... different. Not a bad game by any means, but I'm not sure I'm happy with the direction the took with it this time around. I'd give it a solid 8.

Only played Knack so far - not really understanding why the reviews are so bad, you can definitely do a lot worse. I finished GTAV directly before Knack, and while it certainly doesn't stand up to the quality of that or other truly amazing games I think it is definitely a 7/10.

I'm having a lot of fun with it, the challenge on Hard is nice, though hit detection can be a little off where I will end up getting hit even though you can visually see the enemy miss me. This was the worst in Chapter 4 which I just beat with the robots with the laser swords that jump at you and rapidly swipe. I would be to the side behind the swing of the blade and still get hit.

Only other major gripe is I wish it had more platforming rather then running fight to fight, even if just more areas like the climbable walls in the end of Chapter 3. Graphics aren't astounding but I like how colorful the world is and the feel of playing a Pixar movie.

EDIT: Also for Knack I would strongly recommend playing the companion app Knack's Quest for some time so that you can get the Devices earlier in the game (I know some reviews mentioned they didn't receive any devices during the first play through) as the devices greatly help to diversify the combat.

So two questions:

1. How do you shut off the controller? Watched a movie last night and just let it sit there until it shut itself off.

2. Where is the game "take over" feature where you're buddy could take over your game and play a level or get you past a boss? Did that not make launch either?

I know it's something stupid but I really wish the trophy "pop" sound would come out of the speaker on the ds4.
I'd be down for that.

I'm not sure about your first question, but to answer your second one, they mentioned a while back(maybe in the FAQ?) that feature will be added in later. Unless they're fixing some bugs early on, I expect these first few patches to be pretty meaty as far as content added.

So two questions:

1. How do you shut off the controller? Watched a movie last night and just let it sit there until it shut itself off.
1. press and hold the PS button

2. select 'devices'

3. then it will say turn off dualshock 4

im having some issues with netflix because when i press the PS button...it pauses the movie/show automatically so i cant turn off my movie without pausing it...thus draining the controller

1. press and hold the PS button

2. select 'devices'

3. then it will say turn off dualshock 4

im having some issues with netflix because when i press the PS button...it pauses the movie/show automatically so i cant turn off my movie without pausing it...thus draining the controller
Set your controller to turn off automatically after 10min.

ferant316 said:
EDIT: Also for Knack I would strongly recommend playing the companion app Knack's Quest for some time so that you can get the Devices earlier in the game (I know some reviews mentioned they didn't receive any devices during the first play through) as the devices greatly help to diversify the combat.
Wait, what!? What is a companion app? Because yeah, I'm just getting bits and pieces of the devices and it doesn't look like I'll get a complete one for a while (I'm in chapter 5 now).

Also, today when I started up Knack it did not tell me it was still downloading and then make me delete and reinstall. So yay! It acted like a normal game for the first time (3rd time playing it).

Wait, what!? What is a companion app? Because yeah, I'm just getting bits and pieces of the devices and it doesn't look like I'll get a complete one for a while (I'm in chapter 5 now).Also, today when I started up Knack it did not tell me it was still downloading and then make me delete and reinstall. So yay! It acted like a normal game for the first time (3rd time playing it).
Knack's Quest is a free "match 3" styled puzzler available for iOS & Android. You earn points to level up, every time you level up it unlocks one of those items. You then sync it to unlock them in game.

I am actually getting a little annoyed at having to switch discs!

Never thought I would say that, but having all the installed games listed on my PS4 I have selected a game a few times and it asks me to put in the correct disc :(

The price for digital PS4 games is just to high when you factor in zero resale value, and also can be found cheaper on sales physical. So I plan to never buy full digital games.

It would be great if sony would let us sell/trade our digital games with other PSN members in a big community trading place.

You could put up a bid to buy X game for X price. (must have the money in your wallet to put in a bid) 

Then it would automatically buy that game if someone ever puts that game up for X price.

Sort of like stocks and auto buy/ auto sell system.

Would never happen though as it would slowly drive down the price of all digital games and Sony/Publishers don't want that.

I am actually getting a little annoyed at having to switch discs!

Never thought I would say that, but having all the installed games listed on my PS4 I have selected a game a few times and it asks me to put in the correct disc :(

The price for digital PS4 games is just to high when you factor in zero resale value, and also can be found cheaper on sales physical. So I plan to never buy full digital games.

It would be great if sony would let us sell/trade our digital games with other PSN members in a big community trading place.

You could put up a bid to buy X game for X price. (must have the money in your wallet to put in a bid)

Then it would automatically buy that game if someone ever puts that game up for X price.

Sort of like stocks and auto buy/ auto sell system.

Would never happen though as it would slowly drive down the price of all digital games and Sony/Publishers don't want that.
It is for this reason that I will never own digital games either - unless they are given to me or free. I don't want to dump $64 on something I may hate, essentially throwing that money away.

I agree an online trading space will never happen because it will take away a revenue stream, but it is a great idea.

Any word on when PS3 ports will be showing up for free for PS+ members?  Being a CAG paying more than $20 for videogames is painful.   :)

I bought Injustice digitally, but only because I had $20 in free PSN credit and for some reason it was impossible to find...

bread's done
Back