PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Eh there is still a lot of life left in for me, I've barely started Arkham Origins or Kingdom Hearts 1.5, I just bought Far Cry 3 finally, got plenty of PSN titles, and next year there's Final Fantasy XIII-3, South Park: Stick of Truth, Kingdom Hearts 2.5 and Tales of Xillia 2. I'm really hoping Gakai will just let you stream your digital PS3 library because then I can just ditch it and still keep most of my purchases.

Eh there is still a lot of life left in for me, I've barely started Arkham Origins or Kingdom Hearts 1.5, I just bought Far Cry 3 finally, got plenty of PSN titles, and next year there's Final Fantasy XIII-3, South Park: Stick of Truth, Kingdom Hearts 2.5 and Tales of Xillia 2. I'm really hoping Gakai will just let you stream your digital PS3 library because then I can just ditch it and still keep most of my purchases.
i highly doubt they will let you transfer over games you already bought for free if thats what youre saying.

PS3 is worth keeping for me because I have it loaded with ps+ games that I want to play eventually as well as having a good remote for it.  I found out the hard way the other day that I can really easily  trigger fast forward on ps4 by setting the controller down on couch. 

Wait, what!? What is a companion app? Because yeah, I'm just getting bits and pieces of the devices and it doesn't look like I'll get a complete one for a while (I'm in chapter 5 now).

Also, today when I started up Knack it did not tell me it was still downloading and then make me delete and reinstall. So yay! It acted like a normal game for the first time (3rd time playing it).

Knack's Quest is a free "match 3" styled puzzler available for iOS & Android. You earn points to level up, every time you level up it unlocks one of those items. You then sync it to unlock them in game.

Knacks Quest is iSO only.

It is for this reason that I will never own digital games either - unless they are given to me or free. I don't want to dump $64 on something I may hate, essentially throwing that money away.

I agree an online trading space will never happen because it will take away a revenue stream, but it is a great idea.
Sony could allow selling of used digital games but make them have a minimum price that they adjust over time, like GS used games. Or allow trading of used digital games, or have limits on amount of trades. Allow people to purchase trade coins so they can do more trades.

Has anyone seen a new shipment of PS4s out in stores or know when they might show up again in the wild?
A good place to go is a place like Target and ask them when they normally get in their video game shipments. It took me a couple of months to get my Xbox 360 back when it launched, so best of luck.

• Additional AV options: For additional options, you can press the PS button. This will open a menu from which you can adjust the volume for your television speakers or controller speaker, manage your devices, etc. You can alter the system’s audio settings, as well, and control which types of audio it sends to the headset jack.
  • Delete user profiles: If you need to delete a user profile, go to “Settings” and then to “Initialization.” One of the options is “Delete User.”
  • Download progress: If you are downloading a game/app and want to know how much still needs to be downloaded, go to “Notifications,” then to “Downloads,” or go to “Settings,” then to “System Storage Management,” and then to “Applications.” Choose the game/app in question to find out.
  • DualShock 4 charging: While you charge your DualShock 4 controller, its light will pulse. As its charge gets closer to completion, the pulsing will slow.
  • Gyro keyboard controls: When you use the onscreen keyboard, you can switch to gyro controls by pressing R3.
  • Playstation App: If you have the mobile PlayStation App, you can use it to navigate the PS4’s dashboard and menus or use it as a keyboard.
  • Primary system: If one account with PS+ has a PS4 system set as its primary system (which can be changed by going to “Settings,” followed by “PSN,” and then selecting “Activate as Your Primary PS4), all other accounts on that same system (up to 16) will be able to play online.
  • Recording and streaming: If you want to alter your settings for recording and streaming, you can find those options under “Share Settings” options.
  • Screenshots: If you would prefer to be able to take a screenshot by simply pressing the Share button, press the Share button to open the Share Menu. Select “Options” and then “Share Settings.” From there, go to “Share Button Control Type.” Choose “Easy Screenshots.” This will swap the two functions, so that pressing the Share button will take a screenshot and holding it will open the menu.
  • Start video recording: If you double-tap the Share button, you will start a video recording.
  • Suspended games: If you are playing a game and then you start up Netflix, your game will be suspended instead of shut down. When you are ready, you can go right back to playing it.
  • Switch apps: Double-tap the PS Home button to swap from the game/app you are currently in to the one you last used.
  • View original resolution: If you look at an image sent through Twitter, you can alter the resolution to view it in its original form. Just expand the image, copy the URL, and then change the part of the URL that says “large” to “orig” to see its original resolution.
  • Voice commands: If you want to use either the microphone or the camera to navigate the system through voice controls, either press L2 or go to the dashboard and say “PlayStation.” Voice commands will then be activated. (For example, after you press L2 or say “PlayStation” at the dashboard, you could say “Knack” to go to Knack and then “Start” to begin playing it.)
^Some nice tips for the PS4. I also like the one where you can view patch notes by pressing the option button on a game similar to the PS Vita.

PS4 is the First Device in the world to include New DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 Decoder

Best graphics and sound in one box.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I turn on my Playstation tonight to play some Call of Duty and noticed it started redownloading patches for 3 of my games. Im really trying to figure out what the hell happened. Anyone else experience this?

The patch for killzone said more fixes for crashes. I'm assuming they're just doing updates on the fly at this point basically anything to make things a little smoother. I didn't think if notice a difference with the update for AC4 but things do look much crisper.

PS3 is worth keeping for me because I have it loaded with ps+ games that I want to play eventually as well as having a good remote for it. I found out the hard way the other day that I can really easily trigger fast forward on ps4 by setting the controller down on couch.
same here on the +. I got rid of my ps3 games except for GTA V, but still plan on keeping my ps3 so i can play my + games and my digital games ps2/psx.

I'm having trouble getting my iphone earbuds to chat with. I've tried the iPhone 4 and 5 buds, but neither seem to turn the chat icon yellow or whatever color it's supposed to be. Anyone else having problems?

I'm having trouble getting my iphone earbuds to chat with. I've tried the iPhone 4 and 5 buds, but neither seem to turn the chat icon yellow or whatever color it's supposed to be. Anyone else having problems?
Do the Playstation ones work? I really don't know since I haven't really tried it.

so now that we're a few days in...what do you guys think of the games so far?

I've only played BF4 and AC4 (thank you Target B2G1/30% coupon!) so I'll give my thoughts on each:

BF4:  The MP has been fun and looks great, but the constant erroring out, save corruptions, not being able to do Conquest, etc, have been a BIG drawback.  I can already tell that like so many other shooters for me, I'll lose interest in the MP before long.

AC4:  Visually looks great, and the gameplay seems good so far.  I havent done much in the story but have run into a couple gltiches that seem very "last-gen".  I know its mostly a port but I still think for the most part its an upgrade over the 360/PS3 versions.

Other games?  I'm curious what you guys think of Knack, NFS Rivals, and 2K14.  I probably wont pick up Killzone till its sub $30 .

Other games? I'm curious what you guys think of Knack, NFS Rivals, and 2K14. I probably wont pick up Killzone till its sub $30 .

I currently have 2k14, Madden25, Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed, and KillZone.
2k14 is probably my favorite game right now. The graphics are amazing and its fun to play when people come over. Haven't really got to play to much of the others. The graphics for KillZone are the best I've seen on the PS4 yet, but from what I heard the story isn't that great. The AI is a lot smarter in Madden and it's good. AC and Battlefield is what I really want to play the most, but I haven't had time to get into them yet.

Also I'm supposed to be trading(for Knack I believe) someone my extra copy of 2k14, but I haven't heard from them.

Anyone with a Vita, how's Remote Play? I sold my Vita because there wasn't many games out for it. Now I want to pick another one up, for remote play. I'd like to find a White One used.

Anyone getting horrible estimates for remaining download times?  Or is there a way to set the max number of concurrent downloads or pause/resume downloads?  

I've only played BF4 and AC4 (thank you Target B2G1/30% coupon!) so I'll give my thoughts on each:

BF4: The MP has been fun and looks great, but the constant erroring out, save corruptions, not being able to do Conquest, etc, have been a BIG drawback. I can already tell that like so many other shooters for me, I'll lose interest in the MP before long.

AC4: Visually looks great, and the gameplay seems good so far. I havent done much in the story but have run into a couple gltiches that seem very "last-gen". I know its mostly a port but I still think for the most part its an upgrade over the 360/PS3 versions.

Other games? I'm curious what you guys think of Knack, NFS Rivals, and 2K14. I probably wont pick up Killzone till its sub $30 .
I've played Ghosts, Madden, and 2K14. I got Lego: Marvel in the mail today, but haven't tried it out. Was thinking about maybe picking up Black Flag, but I think I'll hold off until a sale. If any CAGs want to add me on PSN, go ahead. I only have a couple friends on this right now. My PSN name is OrganizedChaos11.

I traded in Madden because it was mostly the same as the PS3 version. The menus were a lot quicker and not super laggy, but that's about the only nice thing I have to say about that game. I play more Madden every year than any other game and usually defend it as being not as bad as everyone says, but this year just isn't good and I hope they really improve it for next years game.

I think Ghosts is good so far. I haven't played the campaign at all, but the game looks a lot better than the PS3 version in my opinion. I'm having fun playing multiplayer, but COD multiplayer has its flaws like always.

I've only played a few games of 2K14 and I feel like I need to play more before I make a judgement. I think I'm frustrated with it right now because it doesn't play the same as the PS3 version and I'm just not used to it. The menus on the PS4 version are terrible and they changed The Association mode and are now calling it MyGM, but it's not exactly the same and the terrible menus are really bothering me when I'm trying to come up with trades and stuff like that. I will have to play it more before I decide on whether the gameplay is good, but I can safely say that the menus are terrible and changing The Association mode bothers me because that is pretty much the only mode I play in 2K.

Something else I wanted to get opinions on. I don't know if this has been discussed because I haven't been following this thread, but I think the battery life on the DS4 is pretty bad. I played for less than 2 hours on a full charge and already lost 1 out of 3 bars. I have a friend who is having the same issues.

Anyone getting horrible estimates for remaining download times? Or is there a way to set the max number of concurrent downloads or pause/resume downloads?
I'm getting the same estimate times. I get the 99+ hours for DC Universe. At first it would download fast and now not so much. It might be mt internet provider at that.

I've played Ghosts, Madden, and 2K14. I got Lego: Marvel in the mail today, but haven't tried it out. Was thinking about maybe picking up Black Flag, but I think I'll hold off until a sale. If any CAGs want to add me on PSN, go ahead. I only have a couple friends on this right now. My PSN name is OrganizedChaos11.

I traded in Madden because it was mostly the same as the PS3 version. The menus were a lot quicker and not super laggy, but that's about the only nice thing I have to say about that game. I play more Madden every year than any other game and usually defend it as being not as bad as everyone says, but this year just isn't good and I hope they really improve it for next years game.

I think Ghosts is good so far. I haven't played the campaign at all, but the game looks a lot better than the PS3 version in my opinion. I'm having fun playing multiplayer, but COD multiplayer has its flaws like always.

I've only played a few games of 2K14 and I feel like I need to play more before I make a judgement. I think I'm frustrated with it right now because it doesn't play the same as the PS3 version and I'm just not used to it. The menus on the PS4 version are terrible and they changed The Association mode and are now calling it MyGM, but it's not exactly the same and the terrible menus are really bothering me when I'm trying to come up with trades and stuff like that. I will have to play it more before I decide on whether the gameplay is good, but I can safely say that the menus are terrible and changing The Association mode bothers me because that is pretty much the only mode I play in 2K.

Something else I wanted to get opinions on. I don't know if this has been discussed because I haven't been following this thread, but I think the battery life on the DS4 is pretty bad. I played for less than 2 hours on a full charge and already lost 1 out of 3 bars. I have a friend who is having the same issues.
yeah the battery on the ds4 is pretty bad. I'm glad i decided to buy a 15 foot cable for it when i did. do yourself a favor and play the ghosts campaign it's ridiculous but fun. you get to have a shoot-out in zero g as well as under the ocean.

I left impressions of most of the launch games two pages back. Here are quick thoughts on the other ones I've gotten the chance to try out since then:

Assassin's Creed IV BF: Just started this tonight now that it's been patched to 1080p, and it's been fun so far. I haven't really played an AC game since AC2, but I see a lot of potential for fun with the pirate setting. Also, it looks pretty darn nice for a port of a last-gen game

Battlefield 4: SP-only impressions - great graphics, and the gunplay is reminiscent of the last BF that I played (BFBC2; this is a plus for me). My save data somehow got corrupted, which was pretty annoying; luckily I'd only played through the first two missions

COD Ghosts: I wasn't going to keep this but am glad I did (already have KZ and BF4), because I've had quite a bit of fun with it so far. The gameplay feels different enough from BF4 that I think it's OK to have both (COD plays more like an arcade shooter because of its pace). I'm also liking the campaign much more than BF4's 

Knack: Only played through the beginning, and it's actually pretty fun and a nice change of pace from everything else in the launch lineup. I'd probably rate it at least a 6/10 vs. the 4's it had gotten at a few places

NFS Rivals: Just got it tonight, and the training missions at the beginning left a fairly good impression. I'm sure I'll think it's awesome once I experience some of the integrated multiplayer as I keep playing

^I had my Battlefield 4 file corrupt as well on Friday. I played through 6 missions on hard. Took a break. When I came back it was corrupted. I have also been getting kicked out of Battlefield 4 back to PS Home consistently the past five days. About 20 times in total. its pretty annoying. Its been a lot better today though. 

Also. Is my headset just broken or do they not work well? I can't get voice to go through on the included mono headset and my vita headset as well. I know they aren't broken. Any way to just see if my voice mic works? I don't talk much but like to listen to others in game chat.

This may have been mentioned already, but I didn't see anything.  What HDDs are you guys using as an upgrade?  I think I'd rather upgrade now rather than lose stuff.  1.5 TB would be good.  I can't afford SSD and was told hybrid drives arent worth it on the PS4 because the game files are too big to take advantage.

So 7200 RPM?  Best one for the best price?

This may have been mentioned already, but I didn't see anything. What HDDs are you guys using as an upgrade? I think I'd rather upgrade now rather than lose stuff. 1.5 TB would be good. I can't afford SSD and was told hybrid drives arent worth it on the PS4 because the game files are too big to take advantage.

So 7200 RPM? Best one for the best price?
From what I seen on IGN, they ran a couple different speed tests with 3 different drives. The SSHDs actually are faster. This is the one I'm considering, but I would prefer to get a 1.5TB. My 500gb is almost down to 100-150gbs free.

From what I seen on IGN, they ran a couple different speed tests with 3 different drives. The SSHDs actually are faster. This is the one I'm considering, but I would prefer to get a 1.5TB. My 500gb is almost down to 100-150gbs free.
I saw that. The differences were negligible. And quite frankly the results were too widely varied to make much of them. There were even results that showed the stock HDD as being the best performing.

Anyone with a Vita, how's Remote Play? I sold my Vita because there wasn't many games out for it. Now I want to pick another one up, for remote play. I'd like to find a White One used.
Remote play is my favorite feature on the PS4 so far. It's a life saver and basically increases Vita's value exponantially. You can finally play all your games where ever you are in the house.

Remote play is my favorite feature on the PS4 so far. It's a life saver and basically increases Vita's value exponantially. You can finally play all your games where ever you are in the house.
Have you tried it outside your home network, like on a friends WiFi?

Was looking on EBay and seen a couple Vita TVs, was thinking about getting one. Then I read that a US Plus account won't work on it yet.

But if I'm already in my house I could just play on my tv. The only time I would see this being useful is if I wanted to watch tv and play something like fifa remotely in the background. I sold my vita and used the money towards the ps4 and don't regret it in the slightest. I bought it for road trips and the last road trip i went on involved a bottle of jameson so needless to say i didn't play it much. Thing was like a glorified paper weight to me.

I am seeking CAGs to play with since the friend count went up. I have a ps3 and vita, too. I own battlefield 4 and killzone shadowfall. I am also a PS+ member. My PSN I'd is Verve. Would love to add new friends to my list.

But if I'm already in my house I could just play on my tv. The only time I would see this being useful is if I wanted to watch tv and play something like fifa remotely in the background. I sold my vita and used the money towards the ps4 and don't regret it in the slightest. I bought it for road trips and the last road trip i went on involved a bottle of jameson so needless to say i didn't play it much. Thing was like a glorified paper weight to me.
You my friend must not married. Finding time to game is hard and the ability to play PS4 games while in bed, in any room of the house or when when at sitting in the office with nothing to do at work it's worth it. Plus, it expands the Vita library even more.

Tried it at work yesterday and it worked fine for the 3 minutes I was able to play on it.

I am seeking CAGs to play with since the friend count went up. I have a ps3 and vita, too. I own battlefield 4 and killzone shadowfall. I am also a PS+ member. My PSN I'd is Verve. Would love to add new friends to my list.
I'll add you when I get a chance. I'm EternalVendetta - also looking for more CAGs to play with (and get Knack parts from!).

You my friend must not married. Finding time to game is hard and the ability to play PS4 games while in bed, in any room of the house or when when at sitting in the office with nothing to do at work it's worth it. Plus, it expands the Vita library even more.
Exectly why I want a Vita again. Between my Kids, wife, and work I haven't really had a chance to play my PS4, except the night I got it when my friends came over.

Feel free to add me: Bleedingwicked

Just put CAG in the request

I'll add you when I get a chance. I'm EternalVendetta - also looking for more CAGs to play with (and get Knack parts from!).
Thanks. I'll be looking for your request
Exectly why I want a Vita again. Between my Kids, wife, and work I haven't really had a chance to play my PS4, except the night I got it when my friends came over.
Feel free to add me: Bleedingwicked
Just put CAG in the request
Done. I am a family man, and probably an old fogey on this board at 38. But, I have had more time to play as of late and have very few on my friends list with a PS4. Always looking for new players and the vast majority of CAGs seem to be pretty cool, though there are a few snarky assholes that I just ignore.

Can someone tell me where to find the "live from playstation" tab? Not sure how you watch other people streaming.
It's right on the main bar... If you have never used it it will be far to the right. Then choose live or interactive (to comment on the streams )and you can even sort by twitch or ustream

Yeah I've never used it and I don't think I've ever even noticed it. I'll take a look when I get home. Thanks

It's right on the main bar... If you have never used it it will be far to the right. Then choose live or interactive (to comment on the streams )and you can even sort by twitch or ustream

Yeah I've never used it and I don't think I've ever even noticed it. I'll take a look when I get home. Thanks
Yeah it goes from left to right in order of most recently used software to least. It may be that something's are static and always on the right like "software" or something like that which shows all of the downloaded titles. Can't say right now as the wife is using the tv with the ps4 right now.

So remember the problem Ghosts had with frame rate issues on the PS4? According to Digital Foundry, it's because it was trying to run at more than 60fps

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-whats-fixed-and-whats-not-in-the-cod-ghosts-ps4-patch

So just what is going on? Well, a close look at our captures reveals that Call of Duty: Ghosts actually runs at higher frame-rates than 60fps on a fairly frequent basis, despite the video output being limited to 60Hz. In scenes where we experienced judder and perceived frame-rate loss, what we are actually seeing is the appearance of skipped and incomplete frames - an effect that is arguably far more noticeable than a few prolonged drops down to 50fps or so seen the 360 version of the game.

Since the patch restores the correct 1080p rendering mode, you would assume that these performance issues caused by the game running fasted than 60fps would be resolved, if not heavily reduced due to the additional per-pixel workload undertaken by the GPU - there's simply far less opportunity for the engine to be able to render frames faster than the targeted refresh rate. The good news is that the issue of skipped frames is reduced to a noticeable degree, particularly in some of the opening moments of the game, although the problem hasn't been completely eliminated. There is still noticeable judder present throughout the patched campaign that appear on a regular basis, which is often distracting when trying to line up a quick succession of precise shots in the heat of battle.

Thinking of returning my PS4 to Amazon. It's not broken, but I'd rather return it than have it. Do you think they'll just accept the return or will they attempt to check if it's actually broken?

I saw that. The differences were negligible. And quite frankly the results were too widely varied to make much of them. There were even results that showed the stock HDD as being the best performing.
Keep an eye on Newegg, they usually have some pretty good deals around Black Friday.

bread's done
Back