PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Jodou said:
Well, when you make it mandatory for online MP, then yeah -- people don't really have a choice.

Speaking of which, if PS+ is going to be required for MP then they need to stop with the trophies for it. I've skipped so many platinums because of shitty trophies like attaining max rank online, it's stupid. I like extending a game's life by doing trophies, but I'll be damned if I'm going to force myself to grind MP levels.
I'm with you on disliking MP trophies. I rarely play MP so I just give in to never getting plats on games like that (which is a relief in some ways - frees me up to not be obsessed about it ;)). Disney Infinity has some that are going to be pretty much impossible since you can't join random games it appears (need a friend with the game to do the MP - and no one on my friend's list even plays it that I can see).

But I don't get your first point - how does PS+ being required for MP have any bearing on the trophies one way or another?

Well, when you make it mandatory for online MP, then yeah -- people don't really have a choice.

Speaking of which, if PS+ is going to be required for MP then they need to stop with the trophies for it. I've skipped so many platinums because of shitty trophies like attaining max rank online, it's stupid. I like extending a game's life by doing trophies, but I'll be damned if I'm going to force myself to grind MP levels.
Well from a completionist standpoint do you care about achievements/trophies? If not then why care? What is your PSN? If you skip plats because of PSN I feel you but I doubt you have that many plats waiting if you are able to resist the ability to plat games and wait for games in general. If you can't plat games then you must be a trophy hunter and be ranked in the top 2000 or less. I mean i have played PS games in general for a year now and I am in the top 1000 not even trying on TT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure he does care about them which is why he doesn't like the MP ones ;).

I probably used to care more than I do now. I'll still go for them on games I really enjoy and as long as the trophies aren't utterly ridiculous. Ni No Kuni, the last game I got a platinum in, was a good example - it required a little work in the post-game but it wasn't overwhelming. It also didn't have missable ones that require a second playthrough (another pet peeve). I like to avoid using a FAQ or quide during an initial playthrough and if that is required to get the trophies I usually don't bother (with the trophies). I don't mind using one once I'm done and it is just a matter of mopping up.

Looking at NBA 2K14 I see I'll barely get any trophies let alone a platinum. And even Knack I'm not thinking I'll plat. So not sure if/when I'll ever do so for a PS4 game. I do need to go back and get one more easy trophy on Contrast and I'll have 100% (there is no platinum for it).

My current PS3 game is Tales of Graces and that is the sort of game I'd normally go for a platinum in. However, I have such a huge backlog of RPGs that I want to get through (have Xillia to follow, for one) that I decided if I ever want to get through them I need to give up on the trophy hunting for the most part.

Completely off-topic, but what is the deal with RAPTR? I've been using them for the gamer card in my sig and they have not updated my trophies for 2 1/2 months. I sync several times a week. I haven't played Disney Infinity for 2 months and they keep showing that on my card.

I'm pretty sure he does care about them which is why he doesn't like the MP ones ;).

I probably used to care more than I do now. I'll still go for them on games I really enjoy and as long as the trophies aren't utterly ridiculous. Ni No Kuni, the last game I got a platinum in, was a good example - it required a little work in the post-game but it wasn't overwhelming. It also didn't have missable ones that require a second playthrough to get (another pet peeve). I like to avoid using a FAQ or quide during an initial playthrough and if that is required to get the trophies I usually don't bother (with the trophies). I don't mind using one once I'm done and it is just a matter of mopping up.

Looking at NBA 2K14 I see I'll barely get any trophies let alone a platinum. And even Knack I'm not thinking I'll plat. So not sure if/when I'll ever do so for a PS4 game. I do need to go back and get one more easy trophy on Contrast and I'll have 100% (there is no platinum for it).

Completely off-topic, but what is the deal with RAPTR? I've been using them for the gamer card in my sig and they have not updated my trophies for 2 1/2 months. I sync several times a week. I haven't played Disney Infinity for 2 months and they keep showing that on my card.
Yea basically what you are saying is "they are there but you dont care." Which is not an insult but you don't care no matter what…that makes you in the category you don't care much but they interest you a tiny bit.

Stellar Inertia said:
Yea basically what you are saying is "they are there but you dont care." Which is not an insult but you don't care no matter what…that makes you in the category you don't care much but they interest you a tiny bit.
We care about getting platinums but aren't willing to invest 100's (or even dozens) of hours into multiplayer to do so. (Or at least I think Jodou feels the same way based on his post).

As for Playstation Eye - Playroom I guess? Not much else though I think it is used here and there in some of the launch games.

I'll get one eventually but I sort of got burned by Move (preordered and paid full price for it and never got much out of it though I did enjoy the 2 Sports Champions games). But ever since I moved the 360 with Kinect upstairs my 6 year-old has been kind of mad at me. He loved playing Kinect Party (the DoubleFine one). Where it is upstairs he can't really play it (not to mention my older son disconnected the Kinect and shoved it in a drawer). So maybe Playroom and hopefully perhaps some future small digital releases can make it into something enjoyable for him and his 3 year-old sister. But yeah, I'd like to get it a bit cheaper.

We care about getting platinums but aren't willing to invest 100's (or even dozens) of hours into multiplayer to do so. (Or at least I think Jodou feels the same way based on his post).
I applaud you for caring at all. But if you really want that plat you will "try" for it. Only launch game I will say requires trying is Killzone Shadow Fall. Im not trying to dismiss your statement but you are just not a trophy hunter which is fine. I still respect your standpoint. We all have our limits. Regardless PS4 is awesome as a whole!

Just FYI,

Do not use your PSN 12month card until the last day or after your free 30day trial has expired.

I just added my 12 month card and it did not extend from the last day of my trial, So I lost the remaining 21days I had left on my free trial.

But I don't get your first point - how does PS+ being required for MP have any bearing on the trophies one way or another?
Because for people that do care about getting the plats, it's now content locked behind a paywall if there are MP trophies. Take for example Uncharted: they don't go super deep on MP, they only require you to win a match of each type IIRC but now that the MP is PS+ ONLY you'd need to sub in order to get those two trophies and thus the platinum. That's not right and had better not become common.

With regards to the other comments, I do care about platinums if I enjoy the game enough and I strive for them (Demon's Souls/Dark Souls double platinum here). But if going into a game like Assassin's Creed and I know up front there's a max MP level trophy, then I don't go all out in the game to get the trophies. See the problem? It superficially shortens my gaming experience with a game that I otherwise might have played a little longer or got a little more out of. I know it's a petty complaint, but I'm not alone in this way of thinking.

As for Playstation Eye - Playroom I guess? Not much else though I think it is used here and there in some of the launch games.
You hear about the guy and his wife last night? They got drunk playing playroom and he ended up exposing his passed out wife on live stream, then stripped her nude before getting banned. This kind of stuff is nothing new for Twitch, since people get banned all the time stupid shit like this. What is new is the exposure of a million new potential users trying streaming out for the first time and the impossibility of Twitch staff being able to moderate it all.

The debate over multiplayer achievements behind a paywall has been going on for years on the Xbox side. Welcome to the party. :D

The debate over multiplayer achievements behind a paywall has been going on for years on the Xbox side. Welcome to the party. :D
This is probably the saddest part of the PS4 introduction. The fact Sony added MP being PS+ only tells me that they didn't have confidence in the product alone and now needed revenue stream to support it. The fact so many subs were only sold once players were forced to paints the picture that the free games were not good enough to entice people. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I proved to myself that I was right, that PS+ wasn't designed to eventually give out AAA games for free up front (not after we all own them) but just another service to support the PSN with.

Anyone that knows me knows I've hated on PS+ from the start, but only because I get no real value from it (of the free games they've given out in the past two years I've only taken advantage of a handful that I didn't already own or care about) other than cloud saves that should be free of charge now regardless. Maybe they'll up the ante now and give us The Last Guardian free. Something like that would finally justify PS+ for me x100.

Because for people that do care about getting the plats, it's now content locked behind a paywall if there are MP trophies. Take for example Uncharted:

You hear about the guy and his wife last night? They got drunk playing playroom and he ended up exposing his passed out wife on live stream, then stripped her nude before getting banned. This kind of stuff is nothing new for Twitch, since people get banned all the time stupid shit like this. What is new is the exposure of a million new potential users trying streaming out for the first time and the impossibility of Twitch staff being able to moderate it all.
Nothing new and a measured risk when you allow streaming and such. I don't consider it a big deal, it is a rare occurrence I'm sure and when it does happen, it won't be a big deal in the grand scheme of things. If you're on Twitch watching streams you're probably not going to kill yourself with fear when you see something like that for 2m before he gets banned.

I really don't see how any CAG could complain about PS Plus, it's just an amazing value.
It's a good value if you a) don't already own the games they're giving free and b) actually wanted the games they're giving you free. All too often I already own the games because they're 1-2 years old or was never going to play them anyway.

I'm having trouble getting my iphone earbuds to chat with. I've tried the iPhone 4 and 5 buds, but neither seem to turn the chat icon yellow or whatever color it's supposed to be. Anyone else having problems?
Thought I'd bump since I didn't get any feedback the 1st time.
Not sure if anyone replied (I didn't see one) but AFAIK, the earbuds should work for sound but not chat. Apple puts some proprietary shit in there that prevents the chat from working.

Plus is hands down the best thing to happen to PlayStation gamers. I saved a ton with all the discounts and free games they added. Heck, even the competition is joining in on the action, this month all Gold members get to enjoy A World of Keflings and Iron Brigade free of charge... :lol:

Sure having MP behind Plus now sucks, but at least your console doesn't turn into a god damn paper weight if you're not a member. You still get access to the web browser, cross game chat, and sharing features. You also dont essentially have to pay AGAIN to use apps like Netflix, Hulu, ect. *Kanye Shrug*

Oh yea there are some super easy ones... I wante to become a legend at one for that trophy, consensus is the goalkeeper one is the easiest
Sweet zombie Jebus was the Silver on the Lob Pass hard. Took me at least an hour or more last night. I can see why only .2% of the FIFA owners have the Silver trophy for that. Got the legendary in the penalty kick one shortly afterward.

I am not as much concerned about space, though I do think 1 TB is a must with these game file sizes.

I wish the SSHDs made more of a difference over the 5400RPM drives, but the tests on IGN were not really what I would call conclusive.

I am not as much concerned about space, though I do think 1 TB is a must with these game file sizes.

I wish the SSHDs made more of a difference over the 5400RPM drives, but the tests on IGN were not really what I would call conclusive.

This ^

I don't see a point in spending extra money on a SSHD or SSD when it's not really any faster. I rather have a bigger drive so I don't have to keep deleting game installs off my hdd

I'm waiting a bit.

I'd considered swapping in my 640GB drive, but with only a few games of interest coming in the next few months, I'm in no hurry. I'll give it some time to see how 7200 drives work as well as waiting for the right price.

Also hoping they'll add external support between now and then since that would be my optimal setup.

Its a lot fasterbut not worth it for a console though most likely

I know they're faster but the results on ign where all over the place sometime the ssd was faster sometime sshd was and even the stock hdd was the fastest a few times.

I know they're faster but the results on ign where all over the place sometime the ssd was faster sometime sshd was and even the stock hdd was the fastest a few times.
Its worth it for a pc but with how large installs are and ps+ you'll be paying through the roof for one you can actually use without managing all the time. I refuse to go backwards in terms of storage for my ps4 and you're gonna double the price of console just to equal it with ssd

As someone who gamed on the 360 for pretty much the whole gen, I gotta say the new PS4 controller is a major upgrade. I know some people swore the DS3 was a great controller but imo that's like telling me Busch Light is your favorite beer. I just can't take you seriously. The DS3 was a shitty controller, but thankfully the DS4 is WAAAAAY better. 

I liked everything but the R1/L1 buttons, but that seems like a minor gripe and I'd probably get used to it in time. I only played the thing quickly at Best Buy and I immediately felt comfortable with the controller. Good sign. Haven't checked out the One's controller yet, but I imagine the difference in comfort can't be nearly as big this past gen. I'd have no problem moving over to the DS4 which will probably be the case in a year or two. 

Jodou said:
Because for people that do care about getting the plats, it's now content locked behind a paywall if there are MP trophies. Take for example Uncharted: they don't go super deep on MP, they only require you to win a match of each type IIRC but now that the MP is PS+ ONLY you'd need to sub in order to get those two trophies and thus the platinum. That's not right and had better not become common.
Ah, I see what you are saying. But yeah, as others have said, that has not stopped MP achievements on the 360 so it never occurred to me it would on the PS4.

Need a new game. What should I go for?

AC Blackflag - looks good, but always had a hard time getting into the AC games

Madden 25 - always got my as kicked in madden 10 and 12 lol

NBA 2K 14 - Looks sweet! 

Injustice Gods among us UE - had the regular version on the 360 and thought it was cool. Just got old pretty quick. Is this version any better?

Started playing my XONE yesterday. Its pretty cool in its own ways(UI and its features) but I think the DS4 is the far superior controller this gen.

And for those that dont have both, the aliasing on the ONE will jump out at you after playing PS4 for a week. FORZA looks awesome, but on track you can see the jaggies on the car edges

Is Rivals worth picking up if you don't have any friends that play it? It looks cool, but it also looks to have a lot of social content.
Have not played it yet on ps4 (or on ps3 :( ) but from what I read even in general ps4 boards and posts by users is that its their favorite launch game. Some complained its too hard, I kinda smiled because games are so easy nowadays. Back on ps1, ps2 they were much more challenging. Since the ps4 wont have too many titles coming out within the next months I suppose a game that is a challenge is a welcome addition. You should be able to find friends thru NFS itself so beat their times, plus you can also play it offline where you play against bots.

Amazon decided to give me a $10 refund on Need for Speed Rivals... Which is kinda weird since it was part of their buy 1, get 1 thing, but I'll take it. :lol:

Amazon decided to give me a $10 refund on Need for Speed Rivals... Which is kinda weird since it was part of their buy 1, get 1 thing, but I'll take it. :lol:
:O

Did you have to ask or was it automatic? Mine was shipped on Wednesday so I wonder if they'll do the same for me.

NFS Rivals is a lot of fun. Especially when you team up with friends. Makes the game that much more fun.

Also, I ended picking up Madden 25.........Wish me luck lol

ell
NFS Rivals is a lot of fun. Especially when you team up with friends. Makes the game that much more fun.

Damn that Target B2G1 deal. I ended up getting Madden because of it. The game is pretty fun. The running was difficult, but I went to the practice mode and now I can run fairly well. The defenders are aggressive, will pick off passes that aren't on point. I think you'll have some fun with it. I hope to start a season, see if I bring the Dolphins back to glory.

Damn that Target B2G1 deal. I ended up getting Madden because of it. The game is pretty fun. The running was difficult, but I went to the practice mode and now I can run fairly well. The defenders are aggressive, will pick off passes that aren't on point. I think you'll have some fun with it. I hope to start a season, see if I bring the Dolphins back to glory.
Send me a friend request if you don't mind. I'm not good by any means, so it should make for a fun game lol.

I personally think the last most wanted was better. Cops take you out way too easily in this game. On a side note burnout paradise 2 and a new proper motorstorm please

bread's done
Back