PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Haven't opened up knack yet.  My son and I are still working on Spyro 2 at  the present time.  50% complete.  We already beat Spyro 1 (120%) and Spyro year of the dragon (117%).  I bought him Skylanders for PS3 (since that will become his system for now) for Christmas.

My favorite game that I have opened up is NFS Rivals.  I don't know if I am just really a racing game fan or what, but I am drawn to that game.  I've also opened up Killzone SF, but I am just not good at shooters (even if I enjoy them).

Next I am going to give Assassin's Creed IV a try.  Thanks Target for the buy 2 get 1 with 30% off!

Getting all types of new errors now.

Ghost multiplayer: "PlayStation plus is required to play online"

Battlefield "Lost connection to EA servers"

Killzone "unable to access PS Network"

Rivals will not connect, and never makes it past the title screen.

Cant connect to the online store either.

Getting all types of new errors now.

Ghost multiplayer: "PlayStation plus is required to play online"

Battlefield "Lost connection to EA servers"

Killzone "unable to access PS Network"

Rivals will not connect, and never makes it past the title screen.

Cant connect to the online store either.
PSN is down/experiencing technical difficulties. Give it a couple of hours and everything will be fine.

Waited in line at Gamestop for 4 hours from 8 to midnight with my buddy and we were able to both score the ps4..  went by at like 7:30 and nobody was there, so we hit a waffle house down the road to grab some food, come back and there were 8 people in line.  They were all getting the PS4.  By 11:30 the GS guys come out and hand out tickets, by then there were about 40 people waiting outside.  This gamestop actually had around 15-20 PS4 units.. way more than any other store I had heard of.  Only 3 people in lne bought the Xbox One and they still had systems left over by the time we left.  Diggin the system though for sure, fixin to link up my vita to it.  I've got Need For Speed Rivals and Ghosts, if anyone wants to add me    axlrose4183

I can't redeem my PS+ code due to the PSN being hammered by the Europeans and people trying to redeem PS+.

I need to redeem it so I can be good until 2016! :cry:

I can't redeem my PS+ code due to the PSN being hammered by the Europeans and people trying to redeem PS+.

I need to redeem it so I can be good until 2016! :cry:
Why can't you redeem it tomorrow or Sunday? It's not like the code expires if not claimed within 24hrs. Don't fret over it, everything will be alright.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question about the ps3 to ps4 upgrade program offered by Sony. So you get a new ps3 game and the game comes with a voucher that you enter. So the ps4 version is all digital and doesn't need the ps3 disc anymore? Or how does that work?

I have a question about the ps3 to ps4 upgrade program offered by Sony. So you get a new ps3 game and the game comes with a voucher that you enter. So the ps4 version is all digital and doesn't need the ps3 disc anymore? Or how does that work?
Game must have voucher in it, you use the voucher to download the ps4 version, the PS3 disk must be in the system in order to verify the ps4 version and play. So you need to keep the disk as long as you want to play it

The Toy Maker is now available on the Playstation Store as a free addon.

It lets you draw items on the Playstation App on your Vita, Apple or Android device and then send them to the Playroom.
Sorry for the really dumb question, but where is the ps app on the vita? is it called something else?

you can delete users by going to Settings/Initialization there might be something in there to format your system which is what I would do.

Anyone know if the PS4 or PS3 can play region 2 bluray movie discs? For example discs designed for the UK in the USA.

Does anyone know if 3D discs that are region 2 may cause an issue?

As far as I know there are only like 2-3 games on PS3 that are not region free, but I don't know about the 3D aspect.

I would assume it would work though.

Sorry I should have specified I am asking about movies not games, my bad
Ah, okay.

That becomes a bit more problematic as there are quite a bit of blu-ray movies that are region locked. Your best bet would probably be to google it on a movie-to-movie basis unless someone else here know of a site that has all of this info readily compiled. Unless there's a way to tell by looking at the cover or something that I don't know about.

boot into safe mode and do reinitialize system. Will take to where it acts like its brand new and have to set up everything again.
Why would you have to go into safe mode to do it? It seems that the same option is available from the menu without going into safe mode?

I know game save data is non transferable right now (as if I were to replace my hard drive).  But will that change in the future?

I got a 1 TB hybrid drive, but couldn't wait for it to come in to start playing...  Now I am about 40% done NFS (which has totally grabbed my attention from the release titles I have)

I know game save data is non transferable right now (as if I were to replace my hard drive). But will that change in the future?

I got a 1 TB hybrid drive, but couldn't wait for it to come in to start playing... Now I am about 40% done NFS (which has totally grabbed my attention from the release titles I have)
I would be shocked if it doesn't, especially since PS3 had the feature.

My guess is they didn't prioritize it since there aren't people that are going to need to upgrade within the next few months since there aren't that many games available. My guess would be it will be included in the first few waves of patches when a lot of these other overlooked features are added in.

I know game save data is non transferable right now (as if I were to replace my hard drive). But will that change in the future?

I got a 1 TB hybrid drive, but couldn't wait for it to come in to start playing... Now I am about 40% done NFS (which has totally grabbed my attention from the release titles I have)
It's not? Then why does the PS4 have cloud saving? I mean, it doesn't tell you it uploaded save data the same way as the PS4, but if you go to System Storage Management there is a place for Cloud Storage and USB Storage.

What are the current launch titles up to titles being released for christmas?

IGN says one thing, Gamestop another, amazon another....

i want to know what games I can get up until the dec 25, for me and also to give as gifts.

thanks

i want to know what games I can get up until the dec 25, for me and also to give as gifts.

thanks
Pretty much what's out now is it for 2013 unless they release indie titles through PSN. I wouldn't expect any more disc based games.

thanks

Other than what's out now, I don't really see any new games coming till next year.. other than psn downloads

thanks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_4_games

Click on NA and do sort ascending. On that list there should only be a couple of PSN games coming out before year end. q1 14 (jan-mar) is when we should see some more games, but even then just a few.

Personally waiting for The Order and Thief the most. Will prolly get Infamous too.

Okay, I need advice on something. I had a PS4 console with a very loud, scraping disc drive whenever you inserted/ejected a disc. It also dropped the HDMI signal to the TV on me once during a game, Madden 25. I send it in to Sony and Sony sends me a new, different console unit apparently. It no longer has the scraping disc noise, but it still dropped the HDMI signal once while playing FIFA 14. I am at a loss for what the problem is, since it happened on both units. Here are my theories:

1. When both games dropped the signal, I was playing them while installing their data to the hard drive. Maybe that's it.

2. I used the same HDMI cable for both consoles, so maybe the HDMI cable is faulty?

3. A software problem in the PS4's firmware. (I had 1.5/1.51 installed during the two occurrences.)

I'd check the HDMI connection and try a different HDMI cable.  That's probably the issue.  However, if it only occurs during the install then maybe it is something else. 

Managed to snag a PS4 on Black Friday at Gamestop. It was weird. I must have picked the right Gamestop, because there was no one there. I just waltzed right in, got everything I wanted, and a PS4 without having to compete for it.

Fired it up yesterday to make sure the hardware wasn't a lemon. Everything ran fine. I got all the initial updating and setup finished smoothly, and downloaded Resogun. Played through the first level of that. I'm really enjoying it so far. They polished a lot of the issues that I had with the PS3.

Hopefully I can score a PS4 with my company discount, I'm gonna have to check on the 5th or 6th hopefully they have the consoles in stock

Managed to snag a PS4 on Black Friday at Gamestop. It was weird. I must have picked the right Gamestop, because there was no one there. I just waltzed right in, got everything I wanted, and a PS4 without having to compete for it.
EhUlwqF.gif

Well crap, I was hoping Gakai would be up and running early next year, looks like we are going to be waiting a bit:

Mon, Dec 02, 2013 | 11:11 GMT

Gaikai to launch across North America in Q3 2014 – report
Gaikai has been a bit quiet recently, but one site has reported a Q3 2014 launch for the cloud streaming service in North America. If sources are to be believed, Europe will have to wait even longer.

gaikai.jpg

It comes from Eurogamer, which claims Gaikai will hit PS4 in Q3 2014. The site says it’s heard the full service won’t hit Europe until 2015.

The site asked Sony’s Andrew House to comment on the state of Gaikai’s roll-out plans. He replied, “We’re on track to have a commercial service up and running in the US first within 2014. That remains the plan and we’re very much on track to reach that. But what’s important is to understand the full scope of what we’re trying to achieve and why we felt the Gaikai acquisition was important.

“Our goal is to be able to have a new form of game distribution streamed from the server side, initially to PS4 consoles then gradually moving that out to Vita. But eventually, the endgame is to have this available on a multitude of network-connected devices, essentially delivering a console-quality gaming experience on devices which are not innately capable of doing that.

“We think there’s a great opportunity to broaden the market, because you essentially remove the need to make the console purchase in order to have access to that experience. It may sound counter-intuitive, because, aren’t you replacing a business that is your bread and butter? But part of being an innovative company is being a pioneer in new forms of distribution of content, and we would like to be there first and take a leadership role.”

On the reported 2015 launch in Europe, House added, “I really can’t be specific on the European roll-out. It’s a brand new form of delivery. We need to prove out the technology, which we feel is good at its core, but we place – as I think is quite right – a real emphasis on delivering a quality experience for consumers. And that will be dependent to a degree on what the strength of broadband connection is going to be, and what our server deployment and infrastructure looks like.

“We’re hard at work on all of those fronts, but I’m not at a point right now where I can be specific about when our European fans are going to be able to enjoy that.”

Sony acquired Dave Perry’s Gaikai service for $380 million back in July, 2012.

What do you make of the above?

Via CVG.

I wonder if Gaikai is going to have like a usb connected optical drive for ps3 discs that will then either convert and upload or just stream them with on the fly coversion....anyone have any clue or hints to this, because I just thought of it, and i for one think its a great idea lol

Well, sometime next year sounds pretty good to me for Gaikai... I was thinking 2015 at the earliest since they haven't really said anything about or explained details.

Not that it really matters much to me anyway as I've still got my PS3 hooked up.

I have tried 5 PS4 games now and here is what I would personally rate them all:

NBA 2k14 - 9/10
Madden 25 - 8.9/10
Need for Speed Rivals - 8.2/10
FIFA 14 - 8/10
Killzone: Shadow Fall - 8/10

Hope this helps you with your game-buying decisions.

Well crap, I was hoping Gakai would be up and running early next year, looks like we are going to be waiting a bit:
Your expectations were too high. I'll be actually impressed if they pull off a Q3 launch. Sucks we're the guinea pigs though.

bread's done
Back