PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

I have never played any Thief games. What should I expect form them? Are they good?
watched any gameplay video? It looks pretty good from what Ive seen. Seems kinda like a splinter cell type stealther as you have this special see in the dark ability. One part I watched you had a water arrow and could shoot out fire pits to make dark and then sneak down and choke hold a guy. Looked pretty cool.

Its about the only game coming out until march/april so I might pick it up.

Wait, who are you guys talking about?
Neo is a member on this site who seemed to only post in the Xbox One preorder thread. You would think he was paid to say the things he said if they weren't so over the top. Major Nelson is his hero, his most cherished memories involve Xbox, etc, etc. I believe he even claimed to have dreams involving Major Nelson. It was by far some of the funniest things I have read on this site.

Neo was just trolling. His blog entries were the big clues. I don't care how comfortable he claimed himself to be. No way any person would act like that. Unless he needed meds, then I suppose it wasn't an act. He just came off as a random troll.

Although I have to admit, I found some of his posts entertaining. My favorite was when he said upon delivery of his X1 preorder that his hands were shaking. I think he said somewhere he was in tears too. lol. A+

Last edited by a moderator:
watched any gameplay video? It looks pretty good from what Ive seen. Seems kinda like a splinter cell type stealther as you have this special see in the dark ability. One part I watched you had a water arrow and could shoot out fire pits to make dark and then sneak down and choke hold a guy. Looked pretty cool.

Its about the only game coming out until march/april so I might pick it up.
I don't have high expectations for Thief. It looks more like a clone of Dishonored than a true thief game and I was hugely disappointed in that. Calling it now the game is plagued with messy mechanics, poor AI, and gets mediocre reviews.

I don't have high expectations for Thief. It looks more like a clone of Dishonored than a true thief game and I was hugely disappointed in that. Calling it now the game is plagued with messy mechanics, poor AI, and gets mediocre reviews.
Debbie downer much?

But yea, get where you are coming from with that. Hope thats not the case but very well could be. I played dishonored some but lost interest after the first few hours. Hopefully Thief 4 is better than it was.

Holy crap, have you guys seen the new info on Shadow of Mordor?  A Batman Arkham City/Assasins creed cloan set in the Lord of the Rings universe!?!?!  I don't care, game looks good, and is a definite buy for me!  Not to mention their nemesis engine looks awesome!  Anyone else excited for this?

Holy crap, have you guys seen the new info on Shadow of Mordor? A Batman Arkham City/Assasins creed cloan set in the Lord of the Rings universe!?!?! I don't care, game looks good, and is a definite buy for me! Not to mention their nemesis engine looks awesome! Anyone else excited for this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fB64APq_jk

Gotta admit, video looks pretty cool. Ass creed mixed with batman type deal.

Also this: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/23/shadow-of-mordor-accused-of-using-assassins-creed-ii-code

So that ass creed connection is more than just skin deep.

Umm yeah, they didn't just steal code; those are the ropes from AC he's crossing.  They look so out of place regardless, did they think nobody would notice?  The reason the game looks so good is because they're riding the coattails of Ubisoft and branding it as their own.  The climbing animations, the eagle vision, the combat flow; how is this legal again?

I wouldn't even need someone to tell me they've straight stolen AC code after playing the games for years now.

Umm yeah, they didn't just steal code; those are the ropes from AC he's crossing. They look so out of place regardless, did they think nobody would notice? The reason the game looks so good is because they're riding the coattails of Ubisoft and branding it as their own. The climbing animations, the eagle vision, the combat flow; how is this legal again?

I wouldn't even need someone to tell me they've straight stolen AC code after playing the games for years now.
Easy, the idea and game mechanics are not protected under copyright law. What is protected, is the code as a whole, any video or audio recordings and the dialogue.

As a big fan of AC, Arkham & LotR - the game looks great to me.  Hadn't seen a thing until that video and my hype level just skyrocketed.

Sure, they "borrowed" things from other games, but TONS of games do this now.  Besides, it looks like they're doing enough different to make it their own thing anyway. That Nemesis mechanic seems really unique and interesting in particular.

Easy, the idea and game mechanics are not protected under copyright law. What is protected, is the code as a whole, any video or audio recordings and the dialogue.
I'm not talking about concepts here: they're using art assets and code ripped straight from AC games. It's so obvious just from watching the alpha footage that the mo-cap is the same and the ropes he uses to cross on are the same. I'd be shocked if they could prove me wrong.

I'm not talking about concepts here: they're using art assets and code ripped straight from AC games. It's so obvious just from watching the alpha footage that the mo-cap is the same and the ropes he uses to cross on are the same. I'd be shocked if they could prove me wrong.
All the stuff is similar but if it's not identical. I would bet dollars to donuts that the code differs enough even though the visual representation is very similar ie nearly identical.

"We really are our own thing."  I wonder if this will come back to bite them because the similarities are too unreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaoGpxSK-f8

In other news, Thief will not be 1080p on X1.  Maybe they should have focused on making a game console rather than a Windows Media Center eh?

^ You're over thinking this. Nathan Drake climbs the same exact way in Uncharted.
I mean, how many way could you climb a building or along a ledge anyway?

Besides, all that video proved is that they aren't carbon copies. There are small differences in the animations that I noticed without even needing to look terribly closely.

I really doubt they're using art assets ripped from the game. Most likely they got their own artists to generate a game that looked very similar. It may be close enough and there may be a lawsuit but that suit won't be resolved for YEARS (long after it's no longer relevant).

Time Warner has significantly more wealth and power than Ubisoft and most likely better lawyers. They would drag out a lawsuit so long that Ubi could be ruined trying to defend it's property. Unlike Apple and Samsung who both have unlimited cash, Ubi couldn't withstand a counter assault of lawsuits in virtually every country on the planet. I'm sure they could dig into the Warner vaults and find countless properties that resemble Ubi products and characters.

While I agree that they ripped off Ass Creed, I really doubt that Ubi will do anything about it.

I personally couldn't care less what rips off what.

If it's well done, I'll probably pick it up as I like the AC games ok and love LOTR. ACIV didn't appeal to me much as I don't give rat's ass about pirates or sea settings. Being a big LOTR fan, this knock off may be worth playing if it's well done and gets good reviews. I've skeptical of that as it seems like just a quick cash in to take advantage of the license, but time will tell.

^ You're over thinking this. Nathan Drake climbs the same exact way in Uncharted.
Exactly what I was thinking when I watched that side by side video.

Are there any games that are going to be 1080p on xbone? What a running joke that is turning out to be...hahaha

Oh and I played a few minutes of the Forza on xbone at gamestop today. Couldnt believe all the jaggies on the cars in the prerace spin around your vehicle, how LONG it took to load, and how terrible the crowds were, very flat 2d models with no movement. Also didnt really have a good feel of speed to it either. Never played a forza game before so maybe that is normal, but yea didnt wow me in the least.

i-pdhjPm2-950x10000.jpg

Well here's one game that'll hit between Infamous & Destiny, but not all that interested myself:

Final Fantasy 14 PS4 Release Date Announced

Along with the Collector's Edition.
by Luke Karmali
January 27, 2014

Submit Tweet Share +1 Share

Square Enix has announced Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn will officially launch on April 14.

The news came during a live Letter from the Producer (via Dualshockers), where game director Naoki Yoshida also announced pre-orders were now available, along with a Collector's Edition.

The Collector's Edition is similar to the one released for the PC and PS3 versions, though it comes with a Wind-Up Moogle companion and a Fat Chocobo mount.

While we already knew that the game would be launching in April, this is the first time the date has been pinned down. A beta test is scheduled to begin on February 22.

Square Enix has previously announced that anyone who purchases the PS3 version of Final Fantasy XIV will also be able to upgrade to the PS4 version absolutely free.

^ Hopefully that 8% boosts helps the Xbone cause thats just pathetic. Damn. I'll double dip if BB has it on Tuesday, really loved the game so I dont mind.

I'm kinda already bored with my PS4...  Hate to say it, but I've been focusing on PC games lately since there's just not much out for PS4 that I had to have (on PS4).

I was non-plused by Killzone

I beat AC4

I got a bit bored of Need for Speed Rivals

My son and I haven't gotten to Knack yet (currently engrossed in Minecraft)...

Don't Starve was fun for a couple of days, but it got old.

Not sure I am really looking forward to Second Son, but I will give it a shot. 

Is anyone else disappointed with this gen so far as I am?  I don't recall it being like this for Xbox, PS2, and PS3...

Is anyone else disappointed with this gen so far as I am? I don't recall it being like this for Xbox, PS2, and PS3...
It was. There are pretty much always droughts post-launch. That's a big reason I seldom buy at launch as I just end up paying top dollar for a console that gathers dust most of the first year or so after I get bored of the couple big launch titles.

It was. There are pretty much always droughts post-launch. That's a big reason I seldom buy at launch as I just end up paying top dollar for a console that gathers dust most of the first year or so after I get bored of the couple big launch titles.
Noted.

I guess because the PS3 was backward compatible out of the gate (the original launch, not the re-launched slim) I didn't notice...

Noted.

I guess because the PS3 was backward compatible out of the gate (the original launch, not the re-launched slim) I didn't notice...
Playstation Now will help this summer, and games will slowly trickle out... it is why I stick to my sports games that can be played over and over again. Second Son will be awesome, I loved the previous three, and everyone who has played it said it is better than those. Not to mention we have no idea what E3 will bring. I am happy, Have plenty to tide me over, Not to mention Outlast next week, and driveclub in march.

Good lord, Second Son looks incredible. Its also running at TRUE 1080p according to PSblog. March cant come soon enough.

ultfdb.gif

Good lord, Second Son looks incredible. Its also running at TRUE 1080p according to PSblog. March cant come soon enough.

ultfdb.gif
I'm bracing for disappointment and hoping it's unjustified. The variety and quality of visuals in the trailers is outstanding, I genuinely have a hard time believing it'll live up to it.

Am I the only one that really doesn't care about Infamous?  First game was ok, but after that I've never felt the need to play another one.

Crazy request...

Does anyone know how I can get ahold of the sealed bag of PS4 manuals (the ones that come in the PS4 box). I got my PS4 used and I want the bag o' manuals to go with my other PS products.

Am I the only one that really doesn't care about Infamous? First game was ok, but after that I've never felt the need to play another one.
Nope. First one got old pretty quick for me. Might try it just because there's nothing out there, but not because I'm a fan of the series.

I played the first 2 thanks to PS+ and thought they were both great, so I'm pretty hyped. Not too sure about how I feel about no Cole though...

Never really played the first two infamous but this one looks really good graphically and gameplay looks fun.

Might be a birthday present to myself since comes out in march.

Im a huge infamous fan, it was one of my favorite series last gen. Part 2 is waaay better than the first one though and I would recommend playing it if you haven't. Second Son looks amazing to me from what I've seen so far. I got the CE pre-ordered (thank you GCU) and Im counting down the days until release. :bouncy:

erhyrj.gif

Yet another gif stolen from gaf lol

Im a huge infamous fan, it was one of my favorite series last gen. Part 2 is waaay better than the first one though and I would recommend playing it if you haven't. Second Son looks amazing to me from what I've seen so far. I got the CE pre-ordered (thank you GCU) and Im counting down the days until release. :bouncy:

erhyrj.gif

Yet another gif stolen from gaf lol
Me too, and I usually don't go for the collector's editions. Don't really care for the cover art for the CE though...

Is anyone else disappointed with this gen so far as I am? I don't recall it being like this for Xbox, PS2, and PS3...
This is how every new console launches. I would say this gen is better than previous. The PS4 has free games with PS+. I don't recall any console that allows me to have 3 free games to play. It looks like there are some really good games coming in February and March so I think it's going well.

On Xbox 360 I remember only playing COD2 for a long time because of a lack of other interesting titles. On Gamecube I remember playing Star Wars Rogue leader.

Playing AC4 on the PS4 is a great experience. (only PS4 game I've bought so far) (I guess being cheap I expect to wait for more deals.) :)

I still need to okay Infamous 1 and 2. Have the first on disc and 2nd from PS+.

Is there any real reason to play the first. Or should I just go right to the second that's a lot better by most accounts?

bread's done
Back