PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Every complaint you mention about TLOU is how I feel about Bioshock. Do not understand the love for that boring ass game aside from the setting itself.
Oh man Rapture is sooooooooo amazing. I also like Columbia quite a bit and I never understood the hate for Infinite. I thought the ending was one of the better endings in video game history, but go figure people widely disagree with me. I am also the guy that thinks Red Dead Redemption was only Goty because it's competition was so weak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man Rapture is sooooooooo amazing. I also like Columbia quite a bit and I never understood the hate for Infinite. I thought the ending was one of the better endings in video game history, but go figure people widely disagree with me. I am also the guy that thinks Red Dead Redemption was only Goty because it's competition was so weak.
And now I agree with everything you just said.

Though RDR was still a good game.

i got ps now invite also pretty excited to see what games they have to test :D
According to Playstation Lifestyle the rumored games are

• Darksiders 2
  • Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
  • Killzone 3
  • MX vs. ATV: Alive
  • Ninja Gaiden 3
  • Papo & Yo
  • Puppeteer
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Shatter
Link

They may be a UK sight ( I'm not sure) but I am sure the list won't range too much. If this is the list, I would happily play through Papo & Yo, SotC, Shatter (not sure what this is) and finally for the love of god I get to play Darksiders 2.

Stig and his team spent almost 100 million dollars on a game that failed every QA test that took. The game sucked. They shitcanned the game and a lot of the people involved. They offered Stig a spot on barlog’s project – he didn’t want to go from game director to something lesser so he quit.

This makes sense, right? Shitty game, money wasted, people fired, head guy leaves out of ego? I mean that all makes sense.

Amy Hennig has creative differences about the direction that UC4 should go in. Egos swell, she leaves. She’s happy, she will make another studio much better when she gets there. Justin Richmond, an ally of Hennig’s, gets an offer he can’t refuse from Riot. He leaves.

These things happen. Naughty Dog is going to be fine. UC4 will still be awesome. Riot will be better with the pickup of Richmond and whoever gets Hennig will be better off. The sky isn’t falling.

Guerilla Cambridge is working on a vita game that is shit and won’t sell. They slim down as they retool for another project.

Again – this isn’t new. This happens a lot.

The director of Driveclub doesn’t deliver the game on time. Given more time the game still needs work. He is replaced.

Wouldn’t you replace him? Wouldn’t you shitcan stig’s project that cost them almost 100 mil and had nothing of value to show for it? In fact they should have done it two years ago. The fact they let it go this far is a testament to how much they believed in him after GoW 3.

And all of this is happening before the fiscal year ends. Is sony trimming fat? Of course. Sony corporation is not in a great spot. So they are tightening up a bit. But a lot of people are connecting dots that don’t need to be connected. Hennig/Richmond is about creative differences and ego. Stig is about wasted money and time. Col Rogers (driveclub) is about failing to deliver. Taken on their own they all make sense. Combine them together and you get glenn beck with a chalkboard.

And Jack Tretton was about money and inability to move up. He will make more money and have more power somewhere else – something Sony simply could not offer him. Shit happens.

It’s the same with the xbox department guys. People move around. People leave for other companies. Shit happens.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03/27/after-the-layoffs-sony-is-now-working-on-hiring-again-insider-explains-what-happened/

All Sony is doing is making people accountable for their actions. There is a finite amount of money in a corporation that cannot be drained. There are people who are going to be pushed to a breaking point and have to move on. Sometimes these things suck and sometimes it works out for the best. I like that Sony is taking a no nonsense approach. This is very tough to do when you have millions invested in a project and you just want to recover at least a portion of that investment. There is no shortage of talented people with great ideas that are trying to break into the video game industry. Sony showed 75-90 million dollars of faith into one person and frankly, that guy abused his role and SSM as a stuido unfortunately had to pay for his mistakes.

[quote name="htz" post="11648088" timestamp="1395972556"]Stig and his team spent almost 100 million dollars on a game that failed every QA test that took. The game sucked. They shitcanned the game and a lot of the people involved. They offered Stig a spot on barlog’s project – he didn’t want to go from game director to something lesser so he quit.

This makes sense, right? Shitty game, money wasted, people fired, head guy leaves out of ego? I mean that all makes sense.

Amy Hennig has creative differences about the direction that UC4 should go in. Egos swell, she leaves. She’s happy, she will make another studio much better when she gets there. Justin Richmond, an ally of Hennig’s, gets an offer he can’t refuse from Riot. He leaves.

These things happen. Naughty Dog is going to be fine. UC4 will still be awesome. Riot will be better with the pickup of Richmond and whoever gets Hennig will be better off. The sky isn’t falling.

Guerilla Cambridge is working on a vita game that is shit and won’t sell. They slim down as they retool for another project.

Again – this isn’t new. This happens a lot.

The director of Driveclub doesn’t deliver the game on time. Given more time the game still needs work. He is replaced.

Wouldn’t you replace him? Wouldn’t you shitcan stig’s project that cost them almost 100 mil and had nothing of value to show for it? In fact they should have done it two years ago. The fact they let it go this far is a testament to how much they believed in him after GoW 3.

And all of this is happening before the fiscal year ends. Is sony trimming fat? Of course. Sony corporation is not in a great spot. So they are tightening up a bit. But a lot of people are connecting dots that don’t need to be connected. Hennig/Richmond is about creative differences and ego. Stig is about wasted money and time. Col Rogers (driveclub) is about failing to deliver. Taken on their own they all make sense. Combine them together and you get glenn beck with a chalkboard.

And Jack Tretton was about money and inability to move up. He will make more money and have more power somewhere else – something Sony simply could not offer him. Shit happens.

It’s the same with the xbox department guys. People move around. People leave for other companies. Shit happens.

More here...[/quote]

Well said but you must know by now that the logical answer never works for the gaming community. Everything is always doom and gloom. Also, anytime talented people leave a company there will always be scuttlebutt about what's happening behind the scenes. It sucks that these very talented people are leaving but such is the nature of the beast.

Damn got super excited after I read more people were getting invites. Still haven't received one. If anyone gets invited and they aren't interested let me know. I'd even be willing to pay something for it. Though someone in the trading forum tried to sell me a code for $75 back in January. He also tried to tell me it was all new games that we're going to be in the beta lol. If not just keep us posted on how it is guys!

Honestly, I think a lot of people are blowing all these departures way out of proportion.
Well the fear may be for nothing in the end, but the risk that Naughty Dog can't fill the vacancy with a capable new game director is high given the triple A budgets they get to work with. ND has made some commercially successful games so far but a misstep with UC4 would be pretty severe given the PS4 hype. Now I'd be surprised if UC4 was disappointing given the new possibilities that the PS4 will afford, but change can still be a bad thing. For the time being I just don't interpret the departures as good news. Time will tell.

Haven't gotten the code yet. Also I am happy people enjoyed Last of Us, I don't want everyone to hate it or anything, but for me it was disappointing. I am not trying to reiterate my point, I just wanted to make my reply clear. One thing I can say about TLoU is I am so happy that Sony/ Naughty Dog was able to produce such an acclaimed game leading into the next generation to continue their success with the Playstation. They have come a long way with PS1 and PS2 dominance, to the PS3 mishaps to the PS3 recovery and then to the incredible PS4 launch. Their exclusives are what make me a Sony fan over Microsoft and although games like TLoU and Journey are not for me, I want Sony to keep rolling with fantastic products.
I get what you mean. Not everybody enjoyed the Last of Us. My GS manager talked to me last summer about all the people that traded in the game within the first week and were disappointed in the gameplay. TLOU was a well written stealth game. Some people are just not into stealth games at all but I like games like Metal Gear and Assassin's Creed. I personally loved TLOU. The story was so well written that it has real potential to be a successful movie. I thought it was a close runner up for GOTY for me (Tomb Raider gets my vote still).

I tend to hate stealth games, but I loved TLOU--both the gameplay (the sneaking around, scavenging for parts etc.), story, characters and atmosphere.  One of my all time favorite games.  Even my fiancee who despises video games actually liked watching it a little bit. :D

Well the fear may be for nothing in the end, but the risk that Naughty Dog can't fill the vacancy with a capable new game director is high given the triple A budgets they get to work with. ND has made some commercially successful games so far but a misstep with UC4 would be pretty severe given the PS4 hype. Now I'd be surprised if UC4 was disappointing given the new possibilities that the PS4 will afford, but change can still be a bad thing. For the time being I just don't interpret the departures as good news. Time will tell.
Fair enough. Hopefully E3 will put some peoples minds at ease. Sony really needs to have a strong conference this year, and Im hoping we see something from UC4.

Are you getting the invite via email or message?
Email.

Fair enough. Hopefully E3 will put some peoples minds at ease. Sony really needs to have a strong conference this year, and Im hoping we see something from UC4.

Email.
While I hope that they do and it would undoubtedly be in their best interest to do so, I don't really think they NEED to have a strong showing at E3. I mean, other than some key departures that the vast majority of consumers don't even know or care about, they still have all the momentum. Sales and demand are still incredibly strong, after killing E3 last year and mostly dominating since I don't really seem them having to knock it out of the park.

They just need to have a showing that at least closely matches MS... In other words, as long as MS doesn't kill it then there's really no reason for Sony to.

I get what you mean. Not everybody enjoyed the Last of Us. My GS manager talked to me last summer about all the people that traded in the game within the first week and were disappointed in the gameplay. TLOU was a well written stealth game. Some people are just not into stealth games at all but I like games like Metal Gear and Assassin's Creed. I personally loved TLOU. The story was so well written that it has real potential to be a successful movie. I thought it was a close runner up for GOTY for me (Tomb Raider gets my vote still).
I thought the first part of TLOU was slow and I didn't really enjoyed until later. Gameplay and story really improved later on. I am glad I stuck with the game because it got amazing thereafter.

Totally agree. The new upcoming games and sales numbers this year will be significant in determining which platform does better in the long run. I think the performance of the PS4/Xbone is more important during the second holiday season than the first. This year's E3 will be huge, needless to say. Last few E3's have been disappointing overall since the current gen lifecycle is winding down so I'm really looking forward to this year's.

While I hope that they do and it would undoubtedly be in their best interest to do so, I don't really think they NEED to have a strong showing at E3. I mean, other than some key departures that the vast majority of consumers don't even know or care about, they still have all the momentum. Sales and demand are still incredibly strong, after killing E3 last year and mostly dominating sense I don't really seem them having to knock it out of the park.

They just need to have a showing that at least closely matches MS... In other words, as long as MS doesn't kill it then there's really no reason for Sony to.
They need to have a strong showing for the hardcore crowd I think. The casuals probably dont know anything about these recent departures nor do I think they care all that much. But as a hardcore gamer who likes a lot of Sony's exclusives I am a bit worried with what is happening with them right now.

Well it turns out famousmortimer was full of shit. Here's the response from Col Rogers. NeoGAF banned him. I hope it serves as a lesson to us all for constantly giving credence to baseless rumors and insider info and treating them as fact.

Well it turns out famousmortimer was full of shit. Here's the response from Col Rogers. NeoGAF banned him. I hope it serves as a lesson to us all for constantly giving credence to baseless rumors and insider info and treating them as fact.
Whoa, crazy.

You're right in that we shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket when it comes to insider information but to be fair, famousmortimor had a good reputation on GAF. He wasn't 100% right on a lot of his leaks but he has been right on other big leaks too. I think he broke the $399 vs. $499 price point first before E3. It speaks for itself, that was huge.

GAF gets pretty ban happy though. Their ban list probably exceed's CAG's member list itself. However, his leak about Col Rodgers was poorly conceived and Col's well within his right to call out Pete Dodd (famousmortimor) on it. The dangerous thing about leaks is that you play the game of he said, she said. Somewhere along the line, things get mixed up or even changed. Pretty sad deal for Col. His departure makes more sense now.

Whoa, crazy.

You're right in that we shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket when it comes to insider information but to be fair, famousmortimor had a good reputation on GAF. He wasn't 100% right on a lot of his leaks but he has been right on other big leaks too. I think he broke the $399 vs. $499 price point first before E3. It speaks for itself, that was huge.

GAF gets pretty ban happy though. Their ban list probably exceed's CAG's member list itself. However, his leak about Cal Rodgers was poorly conceived and Cal's well within his right to call out Pete Dodd (famousmortimor) on it. The dangerous thing about leaks is that you play the game of he said, she said. Somewhere along the line, things get mixed up or even changed. Pretty sad deal for Cal. His departure makes more sense now.
And still... you can call a claim bogus but who knows who is telling the truth...

They need to have a strong showing for the hardcore crowd I think. The casuals probably dont know anything about these recent departures nor do I think they care all that much. But as a hardcore gamer who likes a lot of Sony's exclusives I am a bit worried with what is happening with them right now.
I suppose that's a fair point, and I can understand being worried, but I really don't think it's anything to even give a second thought over. These things happen all the time in any industry and it happens quite a lot in game development. It's just the nature of the beast.

It's only a big deal now because gaming journalism has really taken a major leap over the past 5 years. 10-15 years ago we would have never known about anything like this and would have been none the wiser.

I'll admit that I fell for it, but I don't see why people are and even gaming websites are so quick to believe everything that is written on NeoGaf and reddit.

I gave up on Killzone and moved on to Second Son.

I just wasn't digging Shadow Fall at all, just boring and overly difficulty in places (like end of chapter 9) with waves of bullet sponge enemies that spawn in all directions etc. Not being able to adjust the difficulty from your initial pick is lame too.

Second Son is amazing so far though.

Hey guys,

I'm transitioning in between jobs right now  and have a few quick questions that I'd greatly appreciate if anyone could answer. I was lucky enough to be able to get a PS4 yesterday with some birthday cash and have been wondering a few things:

1) Is there any way to tell when the Dual Shock 4 is fully charged besides the following:

The only way as far as I know is to put the system in standby and wait for the controller to stop flashing orange.

2) Is it possible to redeem PS3 PSN codes (eg I have some God of War Ascension dlc) on the PS4 console - I googled this very quickly and couldn't understand clearly what the answer was. The reason I ask is that my PS3 just got YLOD (main reason I bought the 4) about a month ago, and I have some downloadable codes which are expiring very soon. I also believe I had read somewhere that the converse was possible

Additionally, if 2) isn't possible, can I redeem DLC codes like this from sonyentertainmentnetwork.com somehow and link it to my eventual (assuming I get one) replacement PS3?

Thanks in advance, guys!

I gave up on Killzone and moved on to Second Son.

I just wasn't digging Shadow Fall at all, just boring and overly difficulty in places (like end of chapter 9) with waves of bullet sponge enemies that spawn in all directions etc. Not being able to adjust the difficulty from your initial pick is lame too.
youre not using that owl correctly then. with stun and shield, that game is super easy.

Hey guys,

I'm transitioning in between jobs right now and have a few quick questions that I'd greatly appreciate if anyone could answer. I was lucky enough to be able to get a PS4 yesterday with some birthday cash and have been wondering a few things:

1) Is there any way to tell when the Dual Shock 4 is fully charged besides the following:

The only way as far as I know is to put the system in standby and wait for the controller to stop flashing orange.

2) Is it possible to redeem PS3 PSN codes (eg I have some God of War Ascension dlc) on the PS4 console - I googled this very quickly and couldn't understand clearly what the answer was. The reason I ask is that my PS3 just got YLOD (main reason I bought the 4) about a month ago, and I have some downloadable codes which are expiring very soon. I also believe I had read somewhere that the converse was possible

Additionally, if 2) isn't possible, can I redeem DLC codes like this from sonyentertainmentnetwork.com somehow and link it to my eventual (assuming I get one) replacement PS3?

Thanks in advance, guys!
I'm pretty sure you can do it on sonyentertainmentnetwork.com and tie it to your PSN account.

youre not using that owl correctly then. with stun and shield, that game is super easy.
Maybe so. I used the owl quite a lot, it just didn't seem to help much in situations like the end of Chapter 9 where you have a bunch of enemies coming from multiple directions.

But I'm not great at FPS, and hate ones that are much more than just go forward and shoot the shit out of everything in front of you, so I just pretty much hated everything about Shadow Fall except the graphics. :D Just not my cup of tea. Shame as I really liked Killzone 3 a lot. The second one I was more mixed on, and it's the one that gets the better reviews, so the series is just an odd duck for me I guess. Games range from good (KZ3), ok (KZ2) to bad (SF) for me personally. And none are on the level of Gears, Halo, CoD campaings etc. for me as far as shooters go.

Hold down the PS button to bring up the screen where the power off, standby etc. options are. There's a battery indicator on that screen--bottom right I think.

@GamerDude316: Cool,  thanks. I'll have to play around with the site a bit more. I was trying to find a way to access PSN through the site directly but was unable to do so.

@dmaul1114: Thanks. Yeah, I've seen that image before. But unlike the PS3, I never saw the words "Charge Complete" or anything to that effect, indicating that the controller was fully charged. Yet, when I put the system in standby, the controller wasn't blinking orange (from what I understand indicates that it is chraged fully). Not a huge deal - I guess I'm just a stickler for unplugging wireless battery operated devices from cords when fully charged to optimize battery life.

That image will show the battery icon filling when it's charging and stay at full bars with no animation when full.

Honestly, with as sucky as the battery life is it's easier to just get a charger cradle. They're done on it when the light bar stops flashing. I bought the power A officially licensed one.

Works great other than the batteries seem to drain if I leave them in the cradle popped up (not snapped down into the charge position). I just take them off when charged and keep them in a basket on a shelf in my coffee table now.

Yea thats my only complaint about the controller, but I have a decently long micro usb cable so no big deal. Seems like the controller stays plugged in more than unplugged though.

Hoping to finish the story on infamous tonight so I can get it traded in to bby for 44 after paying 52ish at release.

Game was a blast to me at first, gotten REALLY bored with it now. Pretty sure I'm right at the end of it, hopefully.

That image will show the battery icon filling when it's charging and stay at full bars with no animation when full.

Honestly, with as sucky as the battery life is it's easier to just get a charger cradle. They're done on it when the light bar stops flashing. I bought the power A officially licensed one.

Works great other than the batteries seem to drain if I leave them in the cradle popped up (not snapped down into the charge position). I just take them off when charged and keep them in a basket on a shelf in my coffee table now.
Good suggestion. My solution so far is to have a second controller fully charged and waiting. I wish Sony would give us the option to turn off the lightbar and for the controller to turn itself off after a few minutes of inactivity.

Good suggestion. My solution so far is to have a second controller fully charged and waiting. I wish Sony would give us the option to turn off the lightbar and for the controller to turn itself off after a few minutes of inactivity.
Um, pretty sure there is that option, I have mine shutting off after 5 minutes.

I do have two controllers (bought a bundle at Costco with 2 controllers and a year of PS+), so I do that as well. One dies, I turn it off and pop it on the charger and use the other one that's full charged. Repeat indefinitely. I'm not willing to play wired after years of wireless controllers.

But yeah, the battery life sucks so hopefully they update some of that stuff. I got decals for the light bar, but still get reflections on my super glossy tv from the PS logos, so I'm hoping they let us dim it dramatically or even turn it off.

I really wish Sony would just go with AAs and a battery pack option like MS does. I have a ton of rechargeable Eneloop batteries and it's a lot easier to just swap those in and out as I always have a bunch charged up (and they keep charge for ages when not in use) than hassle with built in batteries that have to charge with a cable or cradle.

I do have two controllers (bought a bundle at Costco with 2 controllers and a year of PS+), so I do that as well. One dies, I turn it off and pop it on the charger and use the other one that's full charged. Repeat indefinitely. I'm not willing to play wired after years of wireless controllers.

But yeah, the battery life sucks so hopefully they update some of that stuff. I got decals for the light bar, but still get reflections on my super glossy tv from the PS logos, so I'm hoping they let us dim it dramatically or even turn it off.

I really wish Sony would just go with AAs and a battery pack option like MS does. I have a ton of rechargeable Eneloop batteries and it's a lot easier to just swap those in and out as I always have a bunch charged up (and they keep charge for ages when not in use) than hassle with built in batteries that have to charge with a cable or cradle.
For my PS3 I have a usb rapid charge cable with extended length cord works great & it was $6 not sure what company makes it though.

PS4 has sold over 7 million consoles wow with a strong E3 showing & 2-3 unannounced fall system seller they could possibly sell close to 20 million by yrs end amazing.
And Infamous SS 1 million sales nice PS+ will probably keep it from getting 4-5 million

For my PS3 I have a usb rapid charge cable with extended length cord works great & it was $6 not sure what company makes it though.
Yeah, I'm just not willing to hassle with a long cord. Dogs will run through it, hassle to keep neatly/untangled when not in use etc. Having two controllers and switching between when one dies works better for me. Using AAs is even more convenient IMO though as I prefer just swapping rechargeable batteries. But not a big deal or anything since I have a PS4 and won't be getting an X1. :D

Yeah, I'm just not willing to hassle with a long cord. Dogs will run through it, hassle to keep neatly/untangled when not in use. Having two controllers and switch between works better for me. Using AAs is even more convenient IMO though as I prefer just swapping rechargeable batteries. But not a big deal or anything since I have a PS4 and won't be getting an X1. :D
Even still the rapid charger will keep your controller at full power faster. Plus the LED light has 5 bars to let you know when it`s almost dead/full just test when needed. Overall, I know how you feel it`s a minor hassle with a simple sony fix .

Even still the rapid charger will keep your controller at full power faster. Plus the LED light has 5 bars to let you know when it`s almost dead/full just test when needed. Overall, I know how you feel it`s a minor hassle with a simple sony fix .
Fair enough. I think the charger dock I have charges faster than the PS4 as well, so I'm happy with that solution.

PS3 I just charged through the console, as with the 15+ hour battery life it's not so much hassle to just plug in every once in a while. The 5-6 hours on the DS is a different story, so I like having the dock for those.

bread's done
Back