PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Seems like a couple of games were missing at E3. It dawned on me last night that I hadn't heard of anything about Deep Down at E3 which seemed odd since it's supposed to come out this year.
Deep Down had a small presence this year. I imagine they didn't show it at the press conference since for now it is only coming out in Japan.

[SIZE=larger]Capcom producer Kazunori Sugiura has posted on Twitter about the PS4 action-RPG Deep Down which is due for release in Japan sometime this year.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=larger]So far a North American or European release hasn’t been confirmed. The official Deep Down Twitter account today posted:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=larger]Sugiura also announced the release of the official E3 2014 trailer, as well as confirming that information about the anticipated beta phase will be revealed at the end of the month.[/SIZE]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/aVC16GgveiU[/youtube]

[SIZE=larger]Deep Down is due out at some point this year, and takes the form of a free-to-play fantasy romp where players explore dungeons and battle various creatures. The actual title is set in the year 2094 in New York City, but gamers will be able to travel to medieval times by interacting with magical artifacts. [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Destiny Alpha key if anyone wants it just PM me. Just received the Email from Sony which is very odd since I not only don't have a PS4, but I didn't sign up for anything.

Seems like a couple of games were missing at E3. It dawned on me last night that I hadn't heard of anything about Deep Down at E3 which seemed odd since it's supposed to come out this year.
It was playable on the floor. it has had its time which is why it wasn't apart of the conference

I was asked about my thoughts on the Destiny Alpha in the Xbox thread, but I'll post them here as well:

The Alpha has only 3 modes open and one location which is on Earth in what looks like a post apocalyptic Russia, except on the pvp you also go to the moon.

One of the modes is free roam, in this mode you use your little computer companion called a ghost to help find beacons.  These beacons begin mini quests similar to what you would find in other mmo's like kill 10 of this etc.

The next mode is a co-op mission called the Devil's Lair, what this does is it couples you up with 2 other players and it's a co-op mission, the co-op feels a lot like Halo co-op but anyway if you all die before someone respawns you have to start over at the previous checkpoint, however you can revive fallen players, or you can respawn in 20 seconds.  This was my favorite mode.

Then the third mode is pvp, there looks like 7 different pvp modes, but only 1 is open and it's dominion mode.  Basically it's 6v6 and there are 3 bases, you have to capture them by standing next to a flag, and if it's taken by an enemy you have to stand there twice as long to neutralise then take over, and defend them if you already have them, it was pretty fun.

The gameplay and guns feel like halo, even the weight of the characters with the exception that you can double jump which is crazy fun as people who've played Titanfall would know.  The other difference and where a lot of people compare it to borderlands is when you shoot an enemy you see the hit points drain off of them in the exact same way borderlands does it.

As far as loot, you can find uncommon or rare armor and weapons and they will actually upgrade as you use them.  There is also a hub where you go and you can buy weapons etc and all the typical mmo stuff there.  Anyway the game is so much better than the videos portray it to be, it sucks they capped the level at 8 because I want to get back in there and play more.

Another cool feature is a vehicle is part of your equipment and you can basically spawn it at any time, and the vehicle you get at the beginning drives a lot like the purple Covenant speeders in halo.

Anyway if you really want to see it just go to twitch, tons of people are streaming gameplay on there.

[quote name="TimboSliceGB" post="11840755" timestamp="1402695964"]sony needs external support i don't care if hd is possible to be changed out.[/quote]
I would imagine it's hard to control the quality of storage if you open it up to any old external hd. At least with hd you can control.

Oh wait, it's the right thread. I thought this was the E3 thread.

Anyway, I got a new controller from Sony in exactly 7 days, which is a good turnaround time for a warranty replacement (I did send priority mail from my end, though). Are hardware turnaround times that quick? 

Anyway, I got a new controller from Sony in exactly 7 days, which is a good turnaround time for a warranty replacement (I did send priority mail from my end, though). Are hardware turnaround times that quick?
That sounds pretty fast to me, but from what I Started hearing back when the PS4 had the BLOD error Sony's gotten to be really quick about taking care of any hardware issues.

The new controller seems really solid. Instead of the softer, spongier material of the launch controllers, the thumbsticks are coated with a harder material, more similar to the PS3's thumbsticks. I don't expect them to wear down nearly as quickly.

Yeah that's unusually fast. I shipped mine via first class mail and it took a month to get a replacement.

Not surprising at all but Sony came in first again In the US for May. Thats 5 months in a row now.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06/16/sony-reacts-to-may-npd-victory-for-ps4/
GAF was able to figure out the numbers with bits and pieces of information released and it looks like the PS4 sold 197k to the Xbox One 77k, it almost outsold it 3:1 and this is just the US which is the Xbox best territory, I can't even imagine the slotter that is the rest of the world. In the US the PS4 now leads by 600k and it appears from online sites like Amazon best sellers the Kinect free sku has had very little impact. Anyway congrats Sony, you deserve it for making the most powerful machine at a great price offering a service the competition has now copied and exclusives that rival Nintendos. Good times!

GAF was able to figure out the numbers with bits and pieces of information released and it looks like the PS4 sold 197k to the Xbox One 77k, it almost outsold it 3:1 and this is just the US which is the Xbox best territory, I can't even imagine the slotter that is the rest of the world. In the US the PS4 now leads by 600k and it appears from online sites like Amazon best sellers the Kinect free sku has had very little impact. Anyway congrats Sony, you deserve it for making the most powerful machine at a great price offering a service the competition has now copied and exclusives that rival Nintendos. Good times!
77k is not good but its was to be expected when MS announced the Kinectless SKU. MS has gained a lot of good will over the last few months and I expect things to pick up for them. I believe they will come out ahead next month with the new $399 SKU despite amazons charts, which has been proven to not be a good indicator of sales projections. Anyhow, congrats to Sony. I will be a owner of a white ps4 come September.

amazons charts, which has been proven to not be a good indicator of sales projections.
Not sure if you follow GAF NPD threads, but I believe Amazon best seller list has correctly predicted the outcome 11 our of 12 months over the last year. The only thing that is missing is NPD doesn't count preorders until they ship to customer so all those preorders for the month the preorder was available didn't hit NPD until the 9th of June, but was that enough? We will see, but not likely though I doubt the PS4 will see a 3:1 advantage like it did this month.

Another note, Watch Dogs killed it on PS4 with 46% of all copies sold being purchased on the PS4. In fact every multiplat sold best on the PS4. Pretty telling why Microsoft didn't put out an NPD press release for the first time in a long time. There was nothing positive to spin this month.

How do you take screenshots off your PS4 if you dont have a twitter or facebook account?  I downloaded the Share Factory app but that seems to be only for videos.

Not sure if you follow GAF NPD threads, but I believe Amazon best seller list has correctly predicted the outcome 11 our of 12 months over the last year. The only thing that is missing is NPD doesn't count preorders until they ship to customer so all those preorders for the month the preorder was available didn't hit NPD until the 9th of June, but was that enough? We will see, but not likely though I doubt the PS4 will see a 3:1 advantage like it did this month.

Another note, Watch Dogs killed it on PS4 with 46% of all copies sold being purchased on the PS4. In fact every multiplat sold best on the PS4. Pretty telling why Microsoft didn't put out an NPD press release for the first time in a long time. There was nothing positive to spin this month.
If a free titanfall and kinect with Xbox One bundle for $450 during the 2-3 weeks it was on sale didn't stave off the PS4. I don't really think an Xbox One with no kinect and no game for $399 is going to do much. The Wii U Mario Kart bundle seems to be doing better, it is sold out everywhere right now(Check eBay, going for over MSRP the past few days as inventory dried up). Wouldn't surprise me NPD stats for June will be PS4, Wii U, Xbox One.

If a free titanfall and kinect with Xbox One bundle for $450 during the 2-3 weeks it was on sale didn't stave off the PS4. I don't really think an Xbox One with no kinect and no game for $399 is going to do much. The Wii U Mario Kart bundle seems to be doing better, it is sold out everywhere right now(Check eBay, going for over MSRP the past few days as inventory dried up). Wouldn't surprise me NPD stats for June will be PS4, Wii U, Xbox One.
Thing is not everyone likes games for titanfall and did not want kinect. Plus 399 is better for most people then 450. I know that sound dumb but that's people mindset.

Look, some people just don't like video games with their consoles.

Honestly though, the crowd that goes for Xbox are all over FPS games. Only other thing they could have packed it with would be a sports game.

We'll see how June looks but right now it seems like PS4 has everything going for it and even Wii U is getting steam now with Mario Kart and a strong E3 showing.

It says a lot when Microsoft didn't even release a statement to go along with the NPD.

Remember though, they aren't doing bad, not at all. It speaks more to how well Sony  has done more than anything.

So how do you guys feel about the Playstation TV? I always hoped they would bring PS Vita TV to the west. For me it's perfect. I'm going to update to a 64gb mem stick for my vita and I'll swap it back and forth. My PS4 is downstairs in my Rec Room, so I will put the PS TV in my bedroom and it will basically give me two PS4s in the house.

So how do you guys feel about the Playstation TV? I always hoped they would bring PS Vita TV to the west. For me it's perfect. I'm going to update to a 64gb mem stick for my vita and I'll swap it back and forth. My PS4 is downstairs in my Rec Room, so I will put the PS TV in my bedroom and it will basically give me two PS4s in the house.
I dont really have any need for it now, but if my PS3 were to kick the bucket in the bedroom, the PS Vita TV would be what I purchase to fill that spot.

I kinda like it. Amazon sent me a code for $10 off it since i got a PS4 from them so might as well. I think id get the bundle since that's a pretty good deal.

I got my launch PS4 from them also. Maybe I have one. Planned on buying from BB though.

Rumor has it, there a incoming update to improve the UI on PS4. This excites me, I have 30-40 game icons on my PS4 and it's difficult to find one if I haven't played recently. Using voice commands does help. But I would really like folders or some other sort of order. .

I got my launch PS4 from them also. Maybe I have one. Planned on buying from BB though.

Rumor has it, there a incoming update to improve the UI on PS4. This excites me, I have 30-40 game icons on my PS4 and it's difficult to find one if I haven't played recently. Using voice commands does help. But I would really like folders or some other sort of order. .
Only thing I dont like about the ps4, UI IS fast and fluid BUT could be better with the game icons.

One of the funniest things with the UI is they put the library icon all the way to the right.  This means you have to scroll through all your games to get to it making it useless.  The bar should have 5 apps on it at most then the library icon.  Also don't like that when an app gets an update it gets moved all the way left.  These are just minor annoyances though and since I usually focus on 1 or 2 games at a time it doesn't affect me all that much.  But I'm still excited to see what they change/fix.

bread's done
Back