PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

And yet people are still complaining and wanting more... And then you've got people like Shipwreck making fun of the gesture.

They didn't have do to anything and certainly weren't obligated to since it wasn't their fault. I don't recall hearing about MS doing anything...
The site admin are very pro Microsoft so I'm not shocked.

Its nice of them to give us anything. Mircosoft isn't. They aren't even going to extend peoples free live trials

[quote name="Pliskin" post="12377929" timestamp="1420150225"]Due to the Xmas outage Sony is giving us an extra five days of PS+ and a 10% off discount code that can be used on the PSN store. I wasn't expecting anything so this is nice.

PS Blog[/quote]
Where is said 10% off code?

The site admin are very pro Microsoft so I'm not shocked.
Its nice of them to give us anything. Mircosoft isn't. They aren't even going to extend peoples free live trials
Oh I know, and I wasn't surprised either... It's just incredibly annoying to see people poke fun of PSN "issues" when they weren't the only network that was down last week.

And yet people are still complaining and wanting more... And then you've got people like Shipwreck making fun of the gesture.

They didn't have do to anything and certainly weren't obligated to since it wasn't their fault. I don't recall hearing about MS doing anything...
the people complaining they want a free game are the cancer of the gaming community

I think Sony has established a bit of a track record of making good when problems occur. They gave us 2 free ps3 games, 2 (or was it 3?) psp games, and 30 days of PS+ free when they were hacked for a month, and now this. The problem was merely an inconvenience and yet they give us more free stuff. Gestures like this and the occasional free store credits they gave out show why they care more than Microsoft about their paying customers (even though it may not ALWAYS feel like they do...)

Where is said 10% off code?
Coming sometime this month. Probably will be emailed.

"In addition, sometime this month we will announce that for a limited time, we will be offering a 10 percent discount code good for a one-time discount off a total cart purchase in the PlayStation Store as a thank you to all PSN members."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Sony has established a bit of a track record of making good when problems occur. They gave us 2 free ps3 games, 2 (or was it 3?) psp games, and 30 days of PS+ free when they were hacked for a month, and now this. The problem was merely an inconvenience and yet they give us more free stuff. Gestures like this and the occasional free store credits they gave out show why they care more than Microsoft about their paying customers (even though it may not ALWAYS feel like they do...)
Most of the time the free stuff isn't really worth the time missed having access to online. This time it wasn't a big deal but that month in 2011 was brutal. Like 2 days after Socom 4 came out which completely doomed that game even if it was better received. Couldn't even get on Netflix. And on top of it all the uncertainty about whether or not some personal shit was in the wrong hands.

The games they were giving away were old and many of us already owned them. It was better than nothing but they don't exactly deserve a pat on the back.

I have a weird situation maybe someone can point me in the right direction..my old psn account is linked to my old email account which was hacked (yahoo)....I can't reset my password or change anything....how can I retrieve my account?...I'm still able to sign on automatically but can't change anything until I resign back into my account....???

what were the two of you expecting, free copies of gta v and a free year of ps+? Be grateful, they didn't have to give us anything 

I actually wasn't expecting them to do anything and think it's fantastic what they've offered as compensation.

I was focusing more on the fact that you used the original PSN hack (Which was Sony's fault) as proof that Sony cares about their customers when they went and offered free stuff to them.

Actually what I was doing was pointing out that when things go wrong because of something on their part, they have been generous about compensating people for inconveniences. Whether it was you who griped about the age/value of what they offered I don't remember, my issue was that regardless of the gesture, nothing is ever good enough for some people. Could Sony have done more to prevent some of this stuff? Of course they could have. But they didn't, and instead of expecting people to stay loyal thru their difficulty and then giving nothing in return, they gave something.

This outage wasn't nearly as bad as 2011.  Atleast this time you could watch Netflix and play most games offline. I think Destiny was the only thing I was pissed about but most things were extended so no harm no foul. 

reading around the internet i love the people who expect sony to give them a new release game for free along with a free month of PSN plus for everyone, including people that didn't even have PSN plus at the time.

Seriously most of the gaming community come off as very entitled

To be fair the PSN seems to have had a lot of problems throughout the year. the messaging system is still a broken mess. I know a lot of ps4 gamers are at the breaking point so Sony probably needed to do something like this more than MS.

back in 2011, psn was down for like a month and all we got were Infamous 1 and Dead Nation.

BCP4b4g.gif

I meant just a lot of frustration in general for people who use the ps4 as their main.
I use my PS4 as my main system and I am not frustrated with it at all. Sure it sucks the PSN network was down for a few days but overall the PSN network worked great last year. Some hiccups here and there, but not as much problems as in the PS3 days.

Also Sony killed it last year with all the quality PSN Plus free games, discount, and flash sales. The sales were crazy good.

messaging has been slow for me for quite some time, but if i really wanted to talk to someone, id just talk to them on my mic and not type out a text to them. the text messages has been the only thing wrong with psn for me. not a breaking point.

Two DDoS attacks(not Sony's fault at all & MS had the same thing happen), an at times broken messaging system, the patch for the 2.0 patch debacle, and the PS+ Driveclub-flub were the only real issues all year. I, as well as most others, do not view that as the giant meltdown that everyone likes to make 2014 out to be for PSN.

If those are the only issues that you have in any given year than you're not doing so bad.

The gaming community is full of whiny entitled assholes that seem to think things should always run smoothly, or they should be compensated otherwise. It's ridiculous... Shit happens, it doesn't mean corporation heads need to be murdered in the street while you should be gifted yachts. You can't play online for a few days over the Holidays? How about going outside or, ya know, spending time with family?

I get that it's frustrating but we act like Sony is doing us actual harm for things that aren't even their fault.

Two DDoS attacks(not Sony's fault at all & MS had the same thing happen), an at times broken messaging system, the patch for the 2.0 patch debacle, and the PS+ Driveclub-flub were the only real issues all year. I, as well as most others, do not view that as the giant meltdown that everyone likes to make 2014 out to be for PSN.

If those are the only issues that you have in any given year than you're not doing so bad.

The gaming community is full of whiny entitled assholes that seem to think things should always run smoothly, or they should be compensated otherwise. It's ridiculous... Shit happens, it doesn't mean corporation heads need to be murdered in the street while you should be gifted yachts. You can't play online for a few days over the Holidays? How about going outside or, ya know, spending time with family?

I get that it's frustrating but we act like Sony is doing us actual harm for things that aren't even their fault.
I agree that the 2 attacks are not their fault at all, but the messaging is. I think its a huge issue and Im shocked that I dont hear more about it from the gaming sites.

I got my ps4 in September and its never worked properly for me and after looking it up online its been going on for way longer than that. Thats inexcusable for a paid service, I met a couple of very cool people off the PSN forums and I wanted to send them a quick happy new year message from the app and I couldnt even do that. And I shouldnt have to send a chat invite whenever I want to ask my friend who's playing a different game if he or she wants to get together later to play TLOU or something. I should be able to fire off a quick text.

The most frustrating part is the lack of communictation from Sony on this issue, not a single peep when so many users are having this problem. I like my ps4 a lot and I cant wait for the upcoming exclusives but if it was my main I would be very unhappy.

To put things in perspective, I use my Xbox on a daily basis. The interruptions I received were a blip. I literally wouldn't of noticed them if it wasn't for all the online uproar. No issues logging in, and minimal with online gaming. I'm sure others were impacted more, but I had nearly 0 impact. Why would I expect anything from Microsoft? In comparison, I heard PSN was down 3 days on and off.

I agree that the 2 attacks are not their fault at all, but the messaging is. I think its a huge issue and Im shocked that I dont hear more about it from the gaming sites.

I got my ps4 in September and its never worked properly for me and after looking it up online its been going on for way longer than that. Thats inexcusable for a paid service, I met a couple of very cool people off the PSN forums and I wanted to send them a quick happy new year message from the app and I couldnt even do that. And I shouldnt have to send a chat invite whenever I want to ask my friend who's playing a different game if he or she wants to get together later to play TLOU or something. I should be able to fire off a quick text.

The most frustrating part is the lack of communictation from Sony on this issue, not a single peep when so many users are having this problem. I like my ps4 a lot and I cant wait for the upcoming exclusives but if it was my main I would be very unhappy.
I'm not saying it isn't a big deal, but the reason you don't hear much about it is because most people don't care or even use it that often.

Five years ago I think people would be making a bigger deal about it, but with the way things are now most would rather just shoot their friends a text with how integrated smart phones have become in today's society. Everyone literally always have their phone within arms reach. Obviously that doesn't work with people you don't know personally, but I'm sure you can see my point.

While I never use messaging myself, it is something Sony should take more seriously.

Messaging definitely needs to be top priority fix for the new year, It works when it wants to. I'm not sure how something simple like this can go wrong. They are aware of it though, luckily for me I know most of the people I game with IRL, but that's not the case for others so I hope they address it soon.

ajkvir.jpg

Hope they can get around to letting us change our PSN handles sometime this year.  Back when they ran that community poll about what we'd like to see most, that was by far the top one.  I wouldn't even care about the trophies but the purchases not carrying over is dogshit.  Especially with Vita where I'm limited to 1 account.

New The Order trailer, cant believe the game is 5 weeks away from release. :bouncy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_W7lPy7QFQ

Also, I'm almost done with Alien Iso and I gotta say its my GOTY for 2014, cant believe it got such low scores.

Anybody hear anything on when they're gonna send us those 10% off certificates? Wanna get Dying Light preordered and would love that discount to grab the complete edition...

Just got done messing around with PSNow. I started the 7-day trial, and played a little Lego Batman 2 with my daughter. Seems pretty solid and the controls handled pretty good. The graphics didn't really take a dip either. That's actually saying something, considering I have horrible internet. My only questions are when will it be coming to PSTV & PS Vita? Also why are there some PSNow games not included in the Subscription?

Anybody hear anything on when they're gonna send us those 10% off certificates? Wanna get Dying Light preordered and would love that discount to grab the complete edition...
with techlands launch record of buggy broken games, id avoid pre-ordering anything from them, especially digital.

also ill never understand pre-ordering digitally. the whole point of pre-ordering at a brick and mortar store was that so you got your copy reserved in case they sell out. digital stuff isnt selling out on launch day, so why do it?

also ill never understand pre-ordering digitally. the whole point of pre-ordering at a brick and mortar store was that so you got your copy reserved in case they sell out. digital stuff isnt selling out on launch day, so why do it?
Sometimes there's a pre-order bonus and I would imagine being able pre-load is a big factor as well.

So now that MS is back to rolling out FW updates every month, It had me wondering when Sony will release a new one. I hope its in the near future.

My wants are custom backgrounds, pin to dash, and being able to permanently delete unwanted games from the library. I think being able to create folders that show up on the left hand side within the library for more organization would be useful too.

with techlands launch record of buggy broken games, id avoid pre-ordering anything from them, especially digital.

Only game I've ever preordered digitally was the ps4 version of GTA5. The preload feature was huge for me and I had some credit to burn. Doubt I'd ever preorder anything else digitally. With GTA, I know I'll be playing it for years to come. It was great jumping on at midnight on launch and it's nice not having to switch a disc. Lately I've been jumping between FarCry4(disc), GTA(digitally), and Netflix.

As for Dying Light, I have the game preordered at BB. I figure with GCU and $10 back in points, it's a no brainier. $38 for a game on release and if I don't like it or there's problems, I have a few weeks to trade in for $44. Also I seen an article about the director or producer of the game, saying there wouldn't be any issues at launch. It was talking about how a lot of games have been released broken lately.

My backlog is already building up fast though....really haven't had much time to play as much as I wanted during the holidays .

[quote name="asspickle" post="12411392" timestamp="1421268723"]So now that MS is back to rolling out FW updates every month, It had me wondering when Sony will release a new one. I hope its in the near future.

My wants are custom backgrounds, pin to dash, and being able to permanently delete unwanted games from the library. I think being able to create folders that show up on the left hand side within the library for more organization would be useful too.[/quote]
They just released a new dashboard update. I don't think the monthly updates are done.

Any spoilers?
not that I can tell.... no real story related trophies. Mostly kill 20 guys without aiming, shoot a grenade out of the air.... only other type of trophy is complete game on any difficulty.

Edit: Nope no story stuff. All kill trophies and collectibles!!!! All silver and Gold with a Plat

bread's done
Back