PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

I'm sure the game will still be great and all, but holy hell... Either stop announcing games so early, or when that first delay hits just don't even give a date until you're 100% certain. Delaying a game 3 separate times is just insane. It makes you look so bad.

Yep. I know people say "its just two weeks", "let them make the best game possible", etc.

How many times does a game need to be delayed, or how far back, before it can be criticized for the poor planning in its release schedule?

Uncharted 4 is at the point where Im losing interest. Its been shown too much, been known for too long, and now another delay...this is how you derail a hype train.

Yep. I know people say "its just two weeks", "let them make the best game possible", etc.

How many times does a game need to be delayed, or how far back, before it can be criticized for the poor planning in its release schedule?

Uncharted 4 is at the point where Im losing interest. Its been shown too much, been known for too long, and now another delay...this is how you derail a hype train.
I dunno, seems a lot of people are still hyped for it.

I dunno, seems a lot of people are still hyped for it.
Absolutely. But had this been a new game (Watch Dogs comes to mind), I think people wouldn't be as excited.

But since we know ND's track record with quality games, especially with a franchise like Uncharted, I fully expect that hype to remain high with lots of people.

Im not over the moon about the Uncharted franchise like others seem to be, so that might be partly why I feel this way.

Absolutely. But had this been a new game (Watch Dogs comes to mind), I think people wouldn't be as excited.

But since we know ND's track record with quality games, especially with a franchise like Uncharted, I fully expect that hype to remain high with lots of people.

Im not over the moon about the Uncharted franchise like others seem to be, so that might be partly why I feel this way.
Well I mean if you didn't really care for Uncharted you probably werent really excited for it in the first place.

Well I mean if you didn't really care for Uncharted you probably werent really excited for it in the first place.
I think the Uncharted games and Last of Us are pretty fantastic. So I was pretty excited, especially after seeing several things. But I feel like Im seeing too much. I didnt even watch the newest story trailer because Im afraid to see even more of that game at this point.

Now, I dont think they are games of the generation by any means (I think weaker characters would show how lackluster many elements of their games are), but as the complete package I think they're pretty great.

I think the Uncharted games and Last of Us are pretty fantastic. So I was pretty excited, especially after seeing several things. But I feel like Im seeing too much. I didnt even watch the newest story trailer because Im afraid to see even more of that game at this point.

Now, I dont think they are games of the generation by any means (I think weaker characters would show how lackluster many elements of their games are), but as the complete package I think they're pretty great.
This is why I havent watched anything uncharted wise besides what has been shown at e3

It's two weeks. A delay that short isn't to tweak gameplay it's more then likely, as mentioned, to coordinate releases and give manufacturing/shipping enough cushion to get all games hardware and related products to stores so that items are fulfilled to customers on release so you don't have a shit show like we've had with FE: Fates and 20th Pokemon where items aren't getting to people until days after release.

That being said, Naughty dog doesn't seem to rush out their products and they have a track record for having games work day 1 so I'm absolutely fine with this.

Yeah they have a lot on their plate. This is one of the biggest releases of the year and they have several things to push out from a manufacturing end: the game, two CE’s, and an LE console worldwide. Nothing has sold out anywhere so it’s looking like Sony will be mass producing a healthy amount as far out as possible. Sony has mass appeal across the globe so the anticipation is insane on top of it being Naughty Dog’s first new game on the PS4 (TLoU just being a remake). I can’t see it hurting their production timetable either. They are pushing out a MP component on top of a SP campaign when games usually only shine for one aspect but with their history you know that they want the MP to get just as much buzz and praise as their SP.

Speaking of which, you can download the UC4 MP beta right now. It’s supposed to be available to play for the weekend starting tomorrow. PS+ will not be required. 9GB download.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Uncharted 4 beta is a lot of fun. I wasn't sure if I was going to get it at release, but since I had to spend only $59 and some change to get $15 credit back I decided to pre-order it on PSN. Now that I have tried the multiplayer it's a game I'm glad I'm getting digital.

The Last of Us multiplayer is a bit more to my liking, but I think that's just a personal gameplay preference. Uncharted still feels really good. I like the agility the characters have. Naughty Dog has done a great job at bringing key elements of the single player portions of their games into the multiplayer.

I just wish Naughty Dog had kept marking enemies to R3 like it is in Last of Us. In Last of Us by rote I mark enemies the instant I shoot them. Several times when aiming at someone I mistakenly switched my shoulder view and threw off my aim. If this can't be toggled in game I might use the PS4's button remapping to change this.

So with the PS VR event Tuesday, what's everyone's thoughts and prodictions? Will we get a release date? A price? Maybe both? If they still plan to launch in the first half of the year, this has to be it right?

So with the PS VR event Tuesday, what's everyone's thoughts and prodictions? Will we get a release date? A price? Maybe both? If they still plan to launch in the first half of the year, this has to be it right?
That's my assumption. The only other thing that would make sense would be if the wanted to delay it 2-3 months and reveal all of that at E3.

I'm hoping they announce both and throw in a surprise or two with games. If they do neither, I feel like they're scared and delaying the inevitable due to the way everyone has reacted to the pricing for Oculus & Vive... The tech has got to be ready at this point.

I feel like a price and release date has been long overdue, especially if they are still shooting for the early release. If it doesnt come tomorrow, i dont know what the hell they are waiting for.

I feel like a price and release date has been long overdue, especially if they are still shooting for the early release. If it doesnt come tomorrow, i dont know what the hell they are waiting for.
I agree, they have to announce a date and price. We know how much the Occulus and Vive are going to cost and we all expect Playstation VR to be around the same price, likely a little cheaper than the other two. I'm going to say we will see the Playstation VR in stores this year and I think it will cost a $499 for the unit, move controllers, and a couple of games. I also have a feeling that the PSVR will fall flat due to the price, same could be said for the Occulus and Vive, but you need a pretty beefy PC to use either of them and the people who tend to have PCs that can take advantage of the hardware will be more likely to have the extra cash to spend to get into VR early in the game.

Hoping for the info today on PS VR. Hopefully prices aren't too crazy. Also if date and price are revealed, preorder's will probably start today? The fact that nothing from the event is being streamed has me second guessing. Will they go the old school route and let the media release the info?

Time will tell but I'm not so sure VR will fail like a lot of people seem to think... Obviously Sony has the best chance (at first) if they can undercut the competition, as they already offer the cheapest entry fee.

It feels like another motion control fad, but I'm not so sure since the whole industry seems to be all in on it this time.

I think $399 is the absolute best price Sony could release this at without losing a ton of money. This was as low as I would have hopped it would have been and I expected it to be $100 more honestly. At $399 though I will pre-order as soon as I can because I want to check this out and can't afford to get into the Rift or the Vive due to the high cost of building a PC to run those. I don't expect this to fly off the shelf after the initial release though because it's hard to convince someone to spend more than the console costs for something like this and I don't how Sony plans to allow the public to demo this in stores before they make the plunge. 

That price is the sweet spot for the first go around, I think. They're effectively $200 cheaper than the closest competition and have the cheapest entry fee by another $200+. I'll be interested to see how this plays out, I really hope it catches on.

I'm in. Hopefully preorders go live soon.

Netflix confirmed to work in Cinematic Mode. So this can basically be used like remote play. I could watch or play anything while someone else uses the TV. Kind of confused as to why move controllers or the camera aren't in the package. Maybe a different bundle will be announced? I already have those so no big deal here.

Also by looking at the set up pics online, it doesn't really show the processing box attached to the system. It has to connect right?

Netflix confirmed to work in Cinematic Mode. So this can basically be used like remote play. I could watch or play anything while someone else uses the TV. Kind of confused as to why move controllers or the camera aren't in the package. Maybe a different bundle will be announced? I already have those so no big deal here.
Also by looking at the set up pics online, it doesn't really show the processing box attached to the system. It has to connect right?
My guess is because they're mostly trying to appeal to their biggest fans, so they don't want to try and sell us something twice.

Leaving out Move I understand since it's not required for all games. Having the camera being separate is maybe just because they want to focus on only having one SKU at launch. They're also wanting to keep the price as low as possible.

As for the processing unit, as far as I'm aware it has to be connected to the console at all times.

Shu said there will be a bundle for the US market.

Gn2xKmc.gif

I have one move controller, guess it's time to pick up a second. Am I correct in assuming the Navigation Controller isn't being used?

Personally I think it'd be great if a game used PS VR and the Sharpshooter Move gun that I still have somewhere.

I want VR to be cool, but the price is a bit high as an impulse buy. I'll give it a shot eventually, but not at launch for MSRP.

I'm also not really sure exactly how you're supposed to connect the thing on a current PS4 just by looking at all the cables. Something tells me we're getting a new PS4 at E3 for VR to make it simpler kind of like how MS made a new Xbox 360 for Kinect.

I want VR to be cool, but the price is a bit high as an impulse buy. I'll give it a shot eventually, but not at launch for MSRP.
I'm also not really sure exactly how you're supposed to connect the thing on a current PS4 just by looking at all the cables. Something tells me we're getting a new PS4 at E3 for VR to make it simpler kind of like how MS made a new Xbox 360 for Kinect.
After looking at the photos better. It looks like the only thing connected to the ps4 is a hdmi cable. The processing unit has an hdmi in and hdmi out. Also that split cord goes from headset to a small box(extender maybe), then into the process unit.

The headset appears to have an HDMI and an AUX that looks like it connects to the front of the box. The back of the box has two HDMI outs (PS4/TV) along with a USB micro. The rear of the PS4 only has a single AUX which is used by the Camera. So I think you're either going to connect the USB on the front or there will be an AUX/USB hub. Or the USB micro is unnecessary, but then I'm not sure how the PS4 will know the headset is connected.

I think the extra cable is an extension cable.

Regardless, I do think it's probable that they'll make a new system to bypass the need for the box.

The headset appears to have an HDMI and an AUX that looks like it connects to the front of the box. The back of the box has two HDMI outs (PS4/TV) along with a USB micro. The rear of the PS4 only has a single AUX which is used by the Camera. So I think you're either going to connect the USB on the front or there will be an AUX/USB hub. Or the USB micro is unnecessary, but then I'm not sure how the PS4 will know the headset is connected.
I think the extra cable is an extension cable.
Regardless, I do think it's probable that they'll make a new system to bypass the need for the box.
My first instinct was to argue the idea of a new version of a PS4 with you, but after thinking it over a bit I think you may be right.

It would certainly make sense.

My first instinct was to argue the idea of a new version of a PS4 with you, but after thinking it over a bit I think you may be right.

It would certainly make sense.
So if Sony had a new sku on the horizon for a PS4 you don't think we would have heard about it by now? News of the PS3 slim was out half a year before it showed up in stores.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if a new PS4 redesign was on the horizon that did away with an intermediate for the headset, but a new(er) console won't be required to use it.

So if Sony had a new sku on the horizon for a PS4 you don't think we would have heard about it by now? News of the PS3 slim was out half a year before it showed up in stores.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if a new PS4 redesign was on the horizon that did away with an intermediate for the headset, but a new(er) console won't be required to use it.
I was wrong about the timing. The PlayStation VR comes out in October. So we're still 6+ months away. So I think s new motherboard with 2 HDMI ports and rear USBs is possible by then.

Exactly. It would be like how the Xbox 360 S was made for Kinect, but the old systems were still compatible with a box.

Also a good point, though If they are working on a redesign I don't necessarily think it's coming this year, but most likely sometime next year. I don't think it would be talked about during E3 like Ramen suggested.

What interests me more is the talk a while back about "console upgrades" rather than generational leaps. On the one hand you risk fragmenting your user base, unless you find a way that I can't think of to make the consoles viable in tandem. You can't have a "new" 3DS situation with exclusive games because I feel like that never works in your favor. However, such a move would make consoles even more in line with how the PC model works, which may be a necessary evolution given the gaming PC resurgence we've seen over the past 4-5 years.

It's not that I think consoles will die, much like portables haven't died off because of smart phones, but changes might be needed to stay as relevant as they are now. Then again, with the success of the PS4 sales the shift hasn't been as apparent as I would have thought 3 years ago.

As to the upgradable consoles, I've always thought of it something like this. You have the base which takes discs and has your hook ups and seats the hdd. Then a separate modular that can be changed out. The modular would have Ram, gpu, processor. All games would from there on work but not be as good as the newer versions of the system.

Isn't there a new alienware or razer laptop that has similar tech?

As to the upgradable consoles, I've always thought of it something like this. You have the base which takes discs and has your hook ups and seats the hdd. Then a separate modular that can be changed out. The modular would have Ram, gpu, processor. All games would from there on work but not be as good as the newer versions of the system.
There is (not sure if it ever released) but I think it was quite expensive. It's a novel concept and I love that idea, but I think you end up paying more because of the convenience, and the console market is all about being the cheaper option.

Alienware has a "Graphics Amplifier" that lets you put a full sized graphics card into a laptop and their mid range desktop.

alienware-13-with-graphics-amplifier-product-photos16.jpg

I know companies want to do the modular thing, but it's a bit too complicated right now. Especially with technology changes so quickly.

I'm thinking when they say upgrades, it's literally swapping out consoles. Case in point, how many people "upgraded" their Xbox One by trading in their old one for an elite edition (the one with the hybrid drive)? I know I did that because it seemed like a hardware upgrade. Seems like as hardware costs go down, they could keep the price the same on updated versions and incrementally do new releases.

I found the PC I think bleeding & I were thinking of (well, I know it's the one I was thinking of), Razer's Project Christine. It was announced back in January 2014 and never officially launched to my knowledge.

[attachment=21059:projectchristine-1-970-80.jpg]

[attachment=21060:maxresdefault.jpg]

Also there's a similar tech in certain tvs I believe. While I do agree consoles are better for ease of use. And some kind of upgrade system might just confuse people. I wouldn't be totally against some upgrade system coming out but chances are whoever releases it, they'll fuck it up! Price could be a major issue. Imagine $600 for the base system(you never have to buy another new system again), then time comes for the upgrade to release and it's $400.

It’s an interesting idea.  I personally have the disposable income to upgrade but I’m not sure it’d be worth it.  I don’t have a 4K TV and TV programming has just started to catch up with HD signals everywhere.  While it’d be nice to have games in 4K I just don’t think I’d want to invest in a new TV when only my movies and games would be in 4K quality.  I’m not going to be an early adopter for PS VR so I’m most likely going to wait on the sidelines.  With the current gen built towards PC’s, I wonder if this trend is going to crop up more often now where Sony and Microsoft are going to want to push out upgraded PC’s (i.e. Sony 4.5 etc.)  Happy Friday, bitches.

bread's done
Back