PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Sony has often used the Playstation to push their other electronics. With PS2 it was DVD. PS3 was BluRay/3D. PS4 is pushing their headsets that they've been making for years. It wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to use the PS4 to push their 4K TVs because right now the biggest reason against buying a 4K TV is a lack of content. However, I take this was a giant grain of salt because this is Kotaku we're talking about. If a PS4K exists, we still don't know what it would be used for. To me, it would probably be used as a 4K upscaler for PS4 games and BluRay movies. It might be used to offer developers a special 4K mode for their games, however, I think it's incredibly unlikely that it would be used for PS4K Exclusive titles. 

Like how the N64 Expansion Pack was used to enhance games. I just don't think it will be used to have exclusive games (like Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64 and Majora's Mask) because that would be insane. Although, we are early enough into the cycle that we might see it actually happen. I dunno... I guess we'll see. 

I don't really think it's something they need to do. They're doing extremely well, why try to fix what isn't broken?

PS4 is barely two years old, and there are nearly 40 million of them out there... Making such a move poses too big of a risk in my opinion, unless you find some way to make an upgrade compatible with existing systems. If I were them I would hold off unless the competition formally makes an announcement. You may lose a little steam by coming out second and looking like you're playing catch up, but trying to do too much too soon or making drastic changes to your product could cause you to lose some good will.

And if nothing else, this generation has proven that's still a powerful thing within the industry.

Glad they announced the core system will be available to order next week, I bought a camera back at launch and already have a few Move controllers.

I get they want to avoid as much confusion as possible with the two SKUs, but their original position on the core systems availability was strange to say the least. The reverse situation makes more sense to me, as the people who want to support you by pre-ordering are most likely a good chunk of the consumers that already own the extra tech needed inside that bundle.

Eurogamer sources corroborate PS4.5 rumor

Eurogamer has gone up with a report citing its own independent sources confirming the development of a “PlayStation 4.5.”

Eurogamer speculates that PlayStation 4.5 is either a new, more powerful PlayStation with a new APU, a new model that makes older games run better, or a model similar to a “PlayStation 4 slim” with 4K support for gaming, but with resolution remaining at 1080p.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what they're thinking here with them already having such massive momentum. I'm trying not to speculate too much since I don't know exactly what this is yet, but I'm failing to see the outcome where this becomes a good move for them.

In my opinion, for the console market to move to this model, it has to be something planned in advance and a known factor before said console generation even launches. Like, if this was something they wanted to do, it should have been talked about back in 2013. Deciding to do something like this smack dab in the middle of an ongoing generation is just strange.

Between this and the supposed NX controller leak, I'm not too excited about the console future. :(

But Sony can't say that in 2013 or else too many people would wait for 4.5. As long as it's fully backward compatible and doesn't split the user base, I don't see any problem with it.

But Sony can't say that in 2013 or else too many people would wait for 4.5. As long as it's fully backward compatible and doesn't split the user base, I don't see any problem with it.
I don't mean blatantly announce a 4.5, but talk about their plans to do upgrades or iterative installments of the system. Basically just make people aware so they know not to be too attached to how things have been.

The problem is I don't see a way they can do this without the newer one either being a useless upgrade, or fragmenting the user base... Besides, it doesn't matter how understanding people like you and I can be, such a move could incite major rage and butthurt in the general consumer that went with Sony solely because they were saying the right things from the beginning.

If you throw this out there I feel the risk far outweighs the reward. They're selling these things like hot cakes, even outpacing the behemoth that was the PS2 (although I don't think they'll surpass it). Why do you want to risk all of that over something most people don't even want? It's crazy.

This isn't a move you make when you're doing as well as they are, it's a move you make when you're desperate.

It's definitely a risk, but I think PS4.5 will be accepted if it does 3 things:

1. treated almost like a slim version so no "obvious" upgrades people would be mad to lose out on

2. make it 4k compatible, but have it worked out so that any new 4k game will automatically scale back for old PS4 owners

3. integrate better with VR, again more as an extra thing so that a less-expensive or less-cumbersome VR option works with PS4.5

If they go much beyond that, it will be a nightmare for Sony and for consumers.

I have to laugh how far consoles have come that they are now just glorified static PCs and may be considered for part upgrades. That is the vision of M$ and if true, it seems Sony is trying to edge them out with hardware updates this generation. I'm actually all for these 'gaming-focused' PCs they still call the console market that introduce players to what PC gaming is all about. If they can pull off proprietary counterparts to existing PC parts, like GPUs or CPUs, then why not? We can already swap out HDDs with ease these days, so taking it further would be awesome for gamers to customize their level of bells and whistles just like picking out a TV or sound system.

From a developer standpoint, having a few static configurations to work with would allow more options for image quality and be less of a nightmare than PC gaming given the intense number of drivers, PC parts, etc. A couple questions raised are how would they handle lesser configurations: would they use the excuse of power to explain technical issues and would they put less pressure on trying to create the best looking game for the budget configuration vs just scaling it down from the best builds available?

I want to start leaning towards consoles as an alternative to a lot of issues that can arise on PC (mainly performance issues before a patch) and I'm hoping the industry is heading towards a little more streamlined hardware to corral what is available. Hopefully this signals a start down that path.

My buddy and I want to play Rainbow Six Siege together on PS4.  Would our only option be to play with 3 other strangers on a team?  We aren't very good at shooters and would surely embarrass ourselves so we were hoping for an option where it could be just us 2.  Is this at all possible or is it solely teams of 5?  Thanks! 

a PS2 and a PS3 can play PS2 and PS3 games just fine.
I agree, just seems alot of people wanted some sort of backwards compatibility. It might be a huge selling point for someone. And it could be a nice thing for Sony to put on the PS4's retail box. I barely have time for new releases, let alone older games. Whatever happens, if a "faster/more powerful" ps4 does release, I'm sure I'll pick it up. If they go their usual route and release a slim version, I'll pass.

Like someone said, they could release a ps4 with the PS VR processing box built in. If they did, wouldn't they need to bundle it with the headset? It wouldn't make sense to integrate the process unit then make them purchase the PS VR bundle that includes another unit.

Who ordered PS VR? Whos waiting for the Core Bundle?

Anyone play newly released Trackmania Turbo? I downloaded the trial but haven't checked it out yet. I remember seeing it was being released for VR somewhere, is this coming to PS vr?

I agree, just seems alot of people wanted some sort of backwards compatibility. It might be a huge selling point for someone. And it could be a nice thing for Sony to put on the PS4's retail box. I barely have time for new releases, let alone older games. Whatever happens, if a "faster/more powerful" ps4 does release, I'm sure I'll pick it up. If they go their usual route and release a slim version, I'll pass.
Like someone said, they could release a ps4 with the PS VR processing box built in. If they did, wouldn't they need to bundle it with the headset? It wouldn't make sense to integrate the process unit then make them purchase the PS VR bundle that includes another unit.
Who ordered PS VR? Whos waiting for the Core Bundle?
Anyone play newly released Trackmania Turbo? I downloaded the trial but haven't checked it out yet. I remember seeing it was being released for VR somewhere, is this coming to PS vr?
I feel like backwards compatibility is something that sounds good in practice, and something a lot of people think they want, but the vast majority of people will never use it. I waited for the 80gb MGS console before I bought a PS3 only because they added PS2 support back in. Want to know how many times I used it? 3-4 times, tops. I was excited for something I never used... I think it makes more sense the first 6-12 months of a new console cycle when games are scarce, but we're coming up on the 3 year mark, it's not needed.

Besides, if I was going to play a PS2 game, I'd much rather play the better looking digital version that also has trophy support.

As for VR, I'm waiting for the core unit and I will pre-order. I bought a camera back in 2013 and I still have a few Move controllers. Part of me is a little worried I'll be one of the ones affected by motion sickness, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

If Sony wants to put in a graphics card in their rumoured PS4.5 that can render games at 4K at even just 30FPS, the price is going to be so high to the point it won't even be affordable for most people.

I feel like backwards compatibility is something that sounds good in practice, and something a lot of people think they want, but the vast majority of people will never use it. I waited for the 80gb MGS console before I bought a PS3 only because they added PS2 support back in. Want to know how many times I used it? 3-4 times, tops. I was excited for something I never used... I think it makes more sense the first 6-12 months of a new console cycle when games are scarce, but we're coming up on the 3 year mark, it's not needed.
Spot on. :)

If Sony wants to put in a graphics card in their rumoured PS4.5 that can render games at 4K at even just 30FPS, the price is going to be so high to the point it won't even be affordable for most people.

Spot on. :)
That's the other thing I've thought about with this debate but kept forgetting to mention, thanks for bringing it up! If the rumors are true, this would make it a premium item. If that's the case, then what's the point? If you want all that stuff then build a PC... No one wants to buy a $700-800 console... People won't even buy a $500-600 console. Besides, most people can't even utilize 4K anyway.

If true, if feels like a "jump in front of MS" type of move - which is not PlayStation's MO. It's disappointing.

Any Brits here? Used to use the US PSN to buy digital games as it worked out as £32 ish

Now the currency is crap and its £40, wondering if theres any other regions worth using?

I have the launch VT bundle on preorder though BB, but like you I have the camera from launch. I only have one move controller. Was planning on getting the Core Bundle instead. I will need another controller and I'd most likely pick up Playstation Worlds, maybe I should just keep my bundle. If I can lock in the Core Bundle Tuesday from Amazon, I'll wait and see which to keep. My BB order woukd get me a ton back in points though. Guess I'll wait and see.

My gaming time has been extremely limited as of late...

The Core Playstation VR has a place holder on Amazon. Pre-orders start at 7 am PST on March 29th.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-VR-4/dp/B01DE9DY8S/ref=sr_tr_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1459122082&sr=1-1&keywords=playstation+vr

I'll try to put in a pre-order. I don't know if I'll keep it. I wish they would put these things VR things in stores so I could test one out.
While I first thought the in store demo would work for VR, it'd have to be controlled. Sony would need someone to work the station at all times. Think about someone on the fence or completely unaware of how it works, trying the headset the wrong way or something, they'd be completely turned off. They'd probably also tell others of the negative experience.

They'll probably have the Playstation Bus/van going around to events/concerts/maybe even stores to show it off in a controlled environment. Maybe setting up in BB parking lots. That's one of the toughest things about vr, getting people to put the headset on. Even gaming news sites don't even have a real way to cover vr yet. They can't simple take video from a headset. Though the PS VR might be different, does the processor box display a mirrored image onto the TV?

Here's the thing... I'm going to blind buy one even though part of me is worried I'll be affected by motion sickness.

That being said, even though I'm by no means a germaphobe, I have no interest in putting one of those things on my head after 50 other random people. It's a difficult situation.

I'm trying to hold back judgement until I find out exactly what this thing is and what it does but...

All I can think is "what the fuck are they doing?".

The nice thing about retail stores is that you can at least try out things at home and return them if you don't like it. The only problem I see is that you'd be stuck with the software.

Right now it seems most likely that the rumored re-design (if it exists) will be able to play 4K Blu-Rays and have 4K streaming capabilities. It will also probably be able to use the VR headset without an additional box. It seems very unlikely that it's going to be able to play games natively in 4k since such a card would cost more than the PS4. If anything, it may upscale games to 4K. Unless you have a 4K set, it doesn't really matter one way or another. If it's priced competitively to the Elite Xbox One ($500), it would be great for people looking for something able to play 4K Blu-Rays since 4K players cost $400 (the upscaling players are much cheaper, but the native 4K players are $400).

...Also, before we really know anything it seems kind of silly to freak out about a rumor.

Also after reading some of the reviews / first impressions about the Oculus Rift, I'm a bit more leery towards Playstation VR. I am pretty photosensitive, so having such a thing strapped to my face may not be the greatest idea for me personally. For $400, I may be better served getting an Xbox One or NX.

Well... I was able to get a pre-order in for the PS VR Core on Amazon. I don't know if I'll keep it. Hopefully there will be VR demos set up prior to launch.

Well... I was able to get a pre-order in for the PS VR Core on Amazon. I don't know if I'll keep it. Hopefully there will be VR demos set up prior to launch.
Same.

For me it hinges upon what Nintendo has going on, I should limit myself to one or the other since the Holidays will be right around the corner by the time those come out.

Currently it can not stream 4k. I'm on the fence, because I have a very nice 55in 1080p TV and very nice 55 in 4k tv. when I play the same ps4 game on the 4k TV, I see a huge difference in quality with the TV upscaling it some. So I do not know how much more it would be on a 4.5 system.

Hmm. PS4 games don't seem to look any better on my 60" Samsung 4K TV than they did on my old 1080p HDTV from 2012. But that's true that PS4 doesn't do 4K Netflix. I have to use my Smart TV app for that.

I've watched a few things on Netflix in 4K, and the difference is certainly noticeable.

The shitty thing is that 1080i and 1080p content often looks significantly worse than it does on a regular HDTV. Like the people/objects in the foreground will be clear and detailed, but everything in the background is blurry and pixelated. That applies more to TV shows and movies than to games, but it's still very annoying.

From all I've seen, it is similar to the jump from 720p to 1080p in that screen size matters to visually notice a difference.  Whereas before you needed at least a 50" TV to see a clear difference, it is recommended that you only go as low as 65" for 4k to make a big splash. That said, I've not really had a chance to compare anything on my 65" Samsung yet via Netflix. I can say in-store displays make a lasting impression though.

That Uncharted 4 gameplay Wow! Looks very good. On dualshockers, they said the game looks and plays better then anything shown previously and the beta. This is coming from someone that played both this demo? And the beta. Looks alot more open now but still linear. Also looks like some stealth from TLOU will be carrying over. I really like how you can mark the enemies so you can track their position.

That Uncharted 4 gameplay Wow! Looks very good. On dualshockers, they said the game looks and plays better then anything shown previously and the beta. This is coming from someone that played both this demo? And the beta. Looks alot more open now but still linear. Also looks like some stealth from TLOU will be carrying over. I really like how you can mark the enemies so you can track their position.
I recently saw some screenshots and they do indeed look very good. I am still trying to stay in the dark as much as possible though.

So I might have to pick up a PS4. No Man's Sky seems like a game I would be totally hooked on. I've been thinking about it all the time lol

Does anyone know of a really good guide for dungeon defenders 2 (ps4)? I've been playing it for a couple of weeks with my wife and we both love it. However, there are some things we don't fully understand about it. I've looked online but mostly what I've found are forums. Those are helpful but I was hoping to get a detailed guide for the game. Thanks. Sorry if this is wrong spot for this. First post.

Does anyone know of a really good guide for dungeon defenders 2 (ps4)? I've been playing it for a couple of weeks with my wife and we both love it. However, there are some things we don't fully understand about it. I've looked online but mostly what I've found are forums. Those are helpful but I was hoping to get a detailed guide for the game. Thanks. Sorry if this is wrong spot for this. First post.
Welcome to the forum! You're in the right spot to ask about that. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. But I wanted to suggest also asking in the following thread. It's usually pretty active and someone might be able to provide you with a suggestion:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/353046-psnot3k-the-maymay-masters/?view=getnewpost

if there isnt one on http://www.playstationtrophies.org/ then youll probably not find one, unless someone on steam wrote one. someone people will make youtube videos on certain trophies, but not an entire guide.

bread's done
Back