PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

If you have a Walmart comprised of employees not knowing what to do, then forget it.
Exactly. Problem with Wal-mart is very YMMV. Some stores have a great Electronics / Entertainment team, but a lot have to get by with inexperienced or unsavory hires because they're the only ones in the local job pool who'll take it. In my experience, rural stores tend to work a bit better than urban stores, but it will certainly vary from area to area.

I was at Gamestop the other day and I asked them how they were handling giving out systems.  I remember with the 360 launch people were given numbers based on when they preordered.  If they got ten systems and you were number 9 you got one, if you were number 11, you didn't.  Anyway, I assumed that was how they were doing it this time as well.  I had two employees at two different times tell me that they were treating it like a game preorder.  Basically, if you had one preordered they would hold it for you and they would be given out first come, first serve.  When I asked what they would do if they didn't get enough to cover preorders, they said "Well, anyone who really wants it will be here midnight for launch.  I then had a nice discussion about people with jobs and children that also like to play video games.  Anyone else heard anything like this from their store?  I left pretty worried about whether I'd be able to get my PS4 even though I was the first person to preorder at my gamestop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at Gamestop the other day and I asked them how they were handling giving out systems. I remember with the 360 launch people were given numbers based on when they preordered. If they got ten systems and you were number 9 you got one, if you were number 11, you didn't. Anyway, I assumed that was how they were doing it this time as well. I had two employees at two different times tell me that they were treating it like a game preorder. Basically, if you had one preordered they would hold it for you and they would be given out first come, first serve. When I asked what they would do if they didn't get enough to cover preorders, they said "Well, anyone who really wants it will be here midnight for launch. I then had a nice discussion about people with jobs and children that also like to play video games. Anyone else heard anything like this from their store? I left pretty worried about whether I'd be able to get my PS4 even though I was the first person to preorder at my gamestop.
This is their line of thinking now, but word will drop down from corporate on how to handle things. Believe me, GS doesn't want more bad press after their vintage game thing that the Internet seems to be so against.

This is their line of thinking now, but word will drop down from corporate on how to handle things. Believe me, GS doesn't want more bad press after their vintage game thing that the Internet seems to be so against.
i still think the reaction toward "demand" for the next gen console is a bit exaggerated. Only on this forum, am I hearing about people actually talking about getting the next gen console on release date, or are there going to be to fulfill preorders. The truth is most casusal gamers are not getting a next gen console. Ibet, at the last minute many people are going to cancel their orders. It will just be like the wii-u readily available at many locations.

i still think the reaction toward "demand" for the next gen console is a bit exaggerated. Only on this forum, am I hearing about people actually talking about getting the next gen console on release date, or are there going to be to fulfill preorders. The truth is most casusal gamers are not getting a next gen console. Ibet, at the last minute many people are going to cancel their orders. It will just be like the wii-u readily available at many locations.
I am thinking your underestimating release of powerhouse consoles. (Especially with COD on day 1).

I am thinking your underestimating release of powerhouse consoles. (Especially with COD on day 1).
i think we will find out the answer on release date. but cod is also release for current gen consoles as well.

just go back and read the horror story of pre orders for the wii u at walmart and you would know why most people will never pre order anything from that place. I got mine at walmart the day night of release and heard people get upset that walmart people gave away thier preorder system to a new paying customer.

Did anyone watch the IGN interview with Shuhei Yoshida? They asked him if there would be any problems with demand and he doesn't give the most reassuring answer. He doesn't really say there will be but he also doesn't say there won't.
It isn't like you can predict demand either. I remember when the Wii U was coming out and every place ran out of preorder stock and there were rumors of huge lines to get one... come launch day? I had no issue walking into a store to find one.

My Target got preorder cards today, i'm not sure about others. They're not on the sales floor so you have to ask. The lady said they only got 7 PS4 preorders vs 20 Xbox Ones.

Tn7oQbFl.jpg

you get a 25 doller target gift card if you preorder?
I already posted this in the target thread, but I will also post it here to answer this question....

Picked up a reservation card for each system this morning...they weren't on display, but were in a binder at the electronics counter. They both have the store address on the back and the xbox card is numbered out of 15. I also have a preorder at bestbuy for in store pickup, but wanted to get 5 percent off for red card.

Either I am not understandng them, or I think that the front of the cards are misleading. The xbox card says you get "10 off" an accesory/game and the PS4 card says you get a "free" 25 gift card. But the cards cost 10/25 bucks, and the back of the cards say that the purchase price of the card is "not valid as a credit on the purchase of the reserved system/console". The money spent on the cards does not go towards paying for the sytems. So, if I understand it correctly, you have to pay full price for each system when you pick them up and the cards are exchanged for 10 bucks off/25 gift card and there is nothing free about it. You have to buy a 25 gift card for the priviledge of buying a PS4 and an xbox one accessory/game for the priviledge of buying an xbox.

In this case no. The guy said that they will ONLY get enough to fulfill the pre-order cards and that every console that comes in will be put on hold for pre-orders.

You can not go to any target to redeem as the address and store number are printed on the card.

I already posted this in the target thread, but I will also post it here to answer this question....

Picked up a reservation card for each system this morning...they weren't on display, but were in a binder at the electronics counter. They both have the store address on the back and the xbox card is numbered out of 15. I also have a preorder at bestbuy for in store pickup, but wanted to get 5 percent off for red card.

Either I am not understandng them, or I think that the front of the cards are misleading. The xbox card says you get "10 off" an accesory/game and the PS4 card says you get a "free" 25 gift card. But the cards cost 10/25 bucks, and the back of the cards say that the purchase price of the card is "not valid as a credit on the purchase of the reserved system/console". The money spent on the cards does not go towards paying for the sytems. So, if I understand it correctly, you have to pay full price for each system when you pick them up and the cards are exchanged for 10 bucks off/25 gift card and there is nothing free about it. You have to buy a 25 gift card for the priviledge of buying a PS4 and an xbox one accessory/game for the priviledge of buying an xbox.
well that is just b.s i was thinking of doing target instead of amazon but im not paying money to put a system on hold if it don't go towards it.

Yeah, you're pretty much buying a $25 GC for the privilege of reserving one. But Target's reserve system, by giving each card a number and store address, seems the most solid of any retailer.

That's why it's a Reservation Card, and not a deposit or prepurchase.  You pay $25 for that card.  As a bonus, when you purchase the $25 card and the $400 ps4, you receive a free $25 gift card.  If people don't like Target's way of doing it, they've had plenty of time and opportunity to preorder at other establishments which handle it in a manner more to their liking.

at least with the gift card you can use it on anything. with x one you HAVE to buy a game or accessory when you pick it up to even get the 10 back.

That's why it's a Reservation Card, and not a deposit or prepurchase. You pay $25 for that card. As a bonus, when you purchase the $25 card and the $400 ps4, you receive a free $25 gift card. If people don't like Target's way of doing it, they've had plenty of time and opportunity to preorder at other establishments which handle it in a manner more to their liking.
I bought one for each system understanding what I was buying, but I think the front of these cards could easily mislead people. Most people would assume the 25/10 bucks was going towards the price of the system and labeling it as a "free" gift card is confusing in my opinion. THe PS4 isn't a big deal since its a gift card that you can use on anything, but the xbox card will require you to buy another xbox product or lose the 10 bucks. It is a really strange and confusing preorder system. Putting "FREE" in big letters on the front off the card seems questionable to me since you are getting absolutely nothing for free, unless you value the card itself as 25 bucks.

I bought one for each system understanding what I was buying, but I think the front of these cards could easily mislead people. Most people would assume the 25/10 bucks was going towards the price of the system and labeling it as a "free" gift card is confusing in my opinion. THe PS4 isn't a big deal since its a gift card that you can use on anything, but the xbox card will require you to buy another xbox product or lose the 10 bucks. It is a really strange and confusing preorder system. Putting "FREE" in big letters on the front off the card seems questionable to me since you are getting absolutely nothing for free, unless you value the card itself as 25 bucks.
I don't disagree with you. Be informed about it before making a decision. I just think if people don't like it, they've had the opportunity to go elsewhere, putting as little as $0 down, and every cent they put down going towards the purchase. Even at this point, there are still other options available, such as Walmart, so there's no point in calling Target's method bullshit; just don't go there if you don't like it. Even if Target were the only option left, there's no use in complaining about it, because the fault would be on the person who waited so long to act.

Although I couldn't see anyone valuing the card itself at $25, that's where Target has the value set. If you never show up to pick up your system, they've still made their $25 sale on that one little card. As long as you're informed about what their system is, it's not a bad system, it's just got a bit more hoops to jump through.

Anyone order online from Tigerdirect or TRU? TD has just the console and TRU is a game bundle. Its the only other place other than Walmart where I can place an online order. I know it wont be a launch system, I'm just hoping if I order it comes before X-mas.

Do you guys know if the ps4 will accept the blutooth headset from the ps3 or any blutooth headset?

Also , do you guys have any info about the arcade sticks? I have a nice costumized one made with sanwa parts that I would like to use in the ps4 (USB powered). Thanks
Even the older model Pulse headsets will work. 3rd party driving wheels and fightsticks will work as well, but of course it's at the discretion of the manufacturer.

I don't remember for sure on the headests. As long as the system has bluetooth again I don't see why it wouldn't have support for standard headsets though.

Fightsticks are definitely a no go. Both Sony and MS confirmed it after E3 that PS3 ones will not be compatible. If you have a nice one you want to keep using you'll probably have to hold out for someone to start selling a replacement PCB for it and then mod it in.
Sony confirmed that both driving wheels and fightsticks are OK. Microsoft is not allowing any backwards compatibility again next gen.

I'm guessing you were misled by Joystiq. Sony confirmed many times that wheels and fightsticks were OK. Joystiq ran a false story on compatibility citing Madcatz as the only source of info. They have a deal with Microsoft for an exclusive Killer Instinct stick. Also, because they are 3rd party it's their choice whether or not to provide ps4 drivers. The DriveClub devs and others reiterated that they would be compatible. Joystiq then asked Yoshida and Yoshida confirmed it. Joystiq then ran a 2nd erroneous article because they went back and asked Madcatz. Of course, Madcatz again said they (Madcatz) would not allow their current fightsticks to be compatible ps4. The second Joystiq article is as misleading as the first because they didn't emphasize Sony's official policies...again.

I was just at walmart to ask about this and the manager I talked to told me that you have until 12/13 to pay it off and pick it up. But if you pay the full amount before the release date you can pick it up on day one.
That joystiq article is nonsense - the receipt says that because that's when their layaway program ends. You have until 12/13/13 to pay off any item that is on layway at walmart. It only goes on during christmas, and that's a week before christmas, so they put the products out on the shelf for last minute shoppers.

I did the walmart pre-order because it's the closest place to me and the employees knew what i was asking for and took care of it quickly. I also like that I can put some money down on it week by week so i don't burn a large part of a paycheck for the week.

Hello, I don't know it this has been mentioned before, but Amazon is not doing any more preorders for any PS4 (not launch, bundle or standard) just email notifications if it becomes available, also bestbuy is out of preorders online.

Wii U wasn't as in demand or hard to come by as the PS4 is looking to be.
This is the single most absurd statement I have ever read on CAG. :boxing:

I remember seeing a list of launch titles for Xone at one point but has Sony announced what to expect around launch?

This is the single most absurd statement I have ever read on CAG. :boxing:

I remember seeing a list of launch titles for Xone at one point but has Sony announced what to expect around launch?
More than slidecage? That brings a tear to my eye! I mean, I try and I try and it finally pays off!

This is apparently what is launching with the system.

• NBA 2K14
  • Madden NFL 25
  • Killzone Shadow Fall
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  • Battlefield 4
  • Watch Dogs
  • Blacklight: Retribution
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts
  • DC Universe Online
  • DriveClub
  • Warframe
  • FIFA 14
  • Just Dance 2014
  • Knack
  • LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
  • Minecraft
  • NBA Live 14
  • Need for Speed: Rivals
  • Tiny Brains
  • The PlayRoom
  • Resogun
  • Skylanders Swap Force
  • War Thunder

Not sure how WiiU demand is = to PS4 demand. I was able to get on a Gamestop waiting list and pick up a WiiU shortly after launch. WiiU's were available a few weeks, if not days, after launch without requiring a preorder. Everyone who went to resell it on Ebay found that nobody was even paying retail price.

Meanwhile PS4 has over 1 million preorders worldwide, so that must be at least 500,000 preorders in the US. Places are sold out of preorders and if you preorder now at Walmart you won't get one until Dec 13.

I was at Gamestop the other day and I asked them how they were handling giving out systems. I remember with the 360 launch people were given numbers based on when they preordered. If they got ten systems and you were number 9 you got one, if you were number 11, you didn't. Anyway, I assumed that was how they were doing it this time as well. I had two employees at two different times tell me that they were treating it like a game preorder. Basically, if you had one preordered they would hold it for you and they would be given out first come, first serve. When I asked what they would do if they didn't get enough to cover preorders, they said "Well, anyone who really wants it will be here midnight for launch. I then had a nice discussion about people with jobs and children that also like to play video games. Anyone else heard anything like this from their store? I left pretty worried about whether I'd be able to get my PS4 even though I was the first person to preorder at my gamestop.
I don't know but maybe we should create a FAQ regarding what the policy will be at each store. AFAIK Amazon will have launch consoles shipped to your house by the launch date, and then following preorders will be shipped in order of date preordered.

Does anyone know the preorder pickup/ship policy for more stores? If you can post a store I'll add it to one post. I'm not sure if earlier preorders at stores have the same policy as later ones.

Actually no, if you pre-order at Walmart, you still get a launch. Joystick is just stupid and didn't see you have to pick it up by Dec 13th.
Ok. But I still think PS4 demand is much higher than WiiU demand was.

Man. You have me worried now. Because I am someone who fully paid off their PS4 on the first day PS4 pre-orders went up but have absolutely no plans on sitting outside at midnight with a bunch of total strangers in what will most likely be a chilly November night.

My GS is based on the order you got your reserve in. Luckily they also know me very well there and will make sure I get one. I might not be in town on the 15th and they already told me they will for sure hold it for me till I can get it or I can have someone come in and pick it up.

All system launches have been done by when you order it. I can pull up reserve list and find out exactly when time/date you pre-ordered an item. That's how systems will be given out. Whoever told you it was first come, first serve was probably messing with you.

Does anyone have an idea if Gamestop will have some console trade-in promo for the next-gen consoles? Do they do this? Especially when there is such high demand for consoles like the ps4? I have a fat ps3 that I wouldn't mind trading up for a ps4. But, how much would I even get?

Does anyone have an idea if Gamestop will have some console trade-in promo for the next-gen consoles? Do they do this? Especially when there is such high demand for consoles like the ps4? I have a fat ps3 that I wouldn't mind trading up for a ps4. But, how much would I even get?
they just had 50 percent extra but i hope they do that again come system release time would love to get in that offer close to release and use it for amazon credit to help pay off both my systems

These promos typically happen after the console is released. (Will probably be once the initial rush dies down.)

So how does the preorder target pick up work? I have my card and receipt.
Just bring in your card between November 15 and the 22nd and purchase it. With the address printed on the card, you 'should' have no worries about getting yours. I know for the Wii U we left the systems behind the counter, but with the higher demand, I imagine (and will suggest to my manager) to leave them locked in the back until the guest comes to pick it up. We instructed everyone who purchased the card yesterday that if it is lost or stolen, there's nothing we can do. Don't lose that card. The receipt won't be any help either.

Just bring in your card between November 15 and the 22nd and purchase it. With the address printed on the card, you 'should' have no worries about getting yours. I know for the Wii U we left the systems behind the counter, but with the higher demand, I imagine (and will suggest to my manager) to leave them locked in the back until the guest comes to pick it up. We instructed everyone who purchased the card yesterday that if it is lost or stolen, there's nothing we can do. Don't lose that card. The receipt won't be any help either.
Thanks. I have the receipt and card tucked away

Amazon: Launch consoles shipped to homes by release date. Following preorders shipped out in order of date preordered i.e. reach you in preorder queue.

BestBuy: In Store:

Online:

Gamestop: In Store: Consoles can be picked up when they reach you in the preorder queue. They will call you?

Online: ?

Target: In Store: Bring card between Nov 15-22 and make purchase. Should have no problem as long as address printed on card. Cannot get system without card. Receipt not enough, need card.
Online:
Walmart: In Store:
Online:

So it is first come first serve or will they somehow give out consoles based on when they were preordered?

Amazon: Launch consoles shipped to homes by release date. Following preorders shipped out in order of date preordered i.e. reach you in preorder queue.
BestBuy: In Store:
Online:
Gamestop: In Store: Consoles can be picked up when they reach you in the preorder queue. They will call you?
Online: ?
Target: In Store: Bring card between Nov 15-22 and make purchase. Should have no problem as long as address printed on card. Cannot get system without card. Receipt not enough, need card.
Online:
Walmart: In Store:
Online:

So it is first come first serve or will they somehow give out consoles based on when they were preordered?
There's one console per card.

God im hoping someone announces a action game or rpg at tgs,if not i see myself canceling my pre-order and waiting for final fantay 15 and kh3 to come out.

I foresee a huge headache for Target employees if Target really has no record of the preorder and relies on the customer to have the card. In this day and age, I find it ridiculous that Target can't manage to have a system in place to keep track of these preorders. With most stores that I am reading about having ~15 of each system, how is it that hard to keep track of ~30 people's information.

bread's done
Back