PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

Just got my PS4 delivered by UPS. The UPS guy usually doesn't come until around 5PM so this was an extremely pleasant surprise. He knocked once and left it on the doorstep.

No Pinball Arcade, no Minecraft... screw this launch. I'm going to tell the UPS guy he can have it when he shows up.
For me, Pinball Arcade would be a big deal and Minecraft for my kids. But more important, I need to hear that Spelunky is coming to PS4! :) I want to use the PS4 to live stream Spelunky. So, yeah, my most anticipated next gen game is a pixel art one. LOL.

Console will most likely get cheaper, games will be too next year. Hardware defects and firmware glitches will be exposed and hopefully fixed. A larger pool of games to choose from. Get some time to work on three digit backlogs. Maybe patiently observe the announcement of a newer model.
This time it sounds like the PS4 is a very good design right out of the gate. It's quiet and cool and small. It's not like the first PS3 that was huge and loud. While the launch lineup is limited, I'd love to get one, but the funds just aren't there for me right now.

Define a crap ton. Like 10?
Between 30-40 people at the Super Target, 20-25 at the regular Target where I managed to get a copy of NFS Rivals. Also went past a Kmart and they had about 15 as I drove by. The phones were ringing repeatedly at the electronic section with people calling in looking for a PS4 at both Targets. I even overheard an employee asking if they have anymore NFS Rivals as I was buying the last copy.

I think the PS4 is way different from the Wii U in that the games are actually selling pretty well. Most of them are down to none or just handful of copies.

Between 30-40 people at the Super Target, 20-25 at the regular Target where I managed to get a copy of NFS Rivals. Also went past a Kmart and they had about 15 as I drove by. The phones were ringing repeatedly at the electronic section with people calling in looking for a PS4 at both Targets. I even overheard an employee asking if they have anymore NFS Rivals as I was buying the last copy.

I think the PS4 is way different from the Wii U in that the games are actually selling pretty well. Most of them are down to none or just handful of copies.
Wow, so after reading for the last year predictions that the PS4/Xbox One were going to have demand like the Wii U because the current generation is so strong, I guess it turns out to be wrong.

Anyone familiar with PC hardware? Since these new consoles have PC parts, does that mean that we could see a slim in a year? Don't they pump out new/smaller PC parts every 6 months or something?

Think thats bad? I picked up mine at UPS and the lady there said they had a line of 8 people picking up their orders at 8AM.

Well, it's not really fair to compare the Wii U and PlayStation 4. In terms of games, the PlayStation 4 has more recent ports, where as the Wii U did not. Like, ME 3 was 8 months old, Darksiders 2 was 3 months, Batman was 1 year. In the PlayStation 4's case, we're talking about games that are under a month old and you could have easily waited for the port. Going off a really in demand B2G1 sale doesn't help either.

Wow, so after reading for the last year predictions that the PS4/Xbox One were going to have demand like the Wii U because the current generation is so strong, I guess it turns out to be wrong.

Anyone familiar with PC hardware? Since these new consoles have PC parts, does that mean that we could see a slim in a year? Don't they pump out new/smaller PC parts every 6 months or something?
We could, but we won't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Console will most likely get cheaper, games will be too next year. Hardware defects and firmware glitches will be exposed and hopefully fixed. A larger pool of games to choose from. Get some time to work on three digit backlogs. Maybe patiently observe the announcement of a newer model.
I don't know, every time I buy a PS4 game from now on and it costs more than $5 I'm going to feel like I overpaid for it.

For me, Pinball Arcade would be a big deal and Minecraft for my kids. But more important, I need to hear that Spelunky is coming to PS4! :) I want to use the PS4 to live stream Spelunky. So, yeah, my most anticipated next gen game is a pixel art one. LOL.
I was only moderately sarcastic and I sure hope Spelunky is cross buy (as in already bought) if it does.

If you have other current systems it kind of sucks that everything is sequelitis multiplatform stuff but at least you know what you're getting with it and it's going to sell unlike the WiiU software.

While they're a similar architecture to AMD's current off the shelf parts they're not off the shelf parts. These are still custom designed and fabricated parts. Yes they could make them smaller now if they wanted but that makes them much more expensive. It will probably be 2-3 years and we'll see a major redesign just like we did this console cycle.

Does anyone's tracking not show any information? Mine just say in transit, and when I go to the actual UPS site, it just says a shipping label was created.. Not sure if UPS just got lazy or what.

Because lighting fast download speeds are what happens any time something new launches that a bunch of people want to try.
Surprisingly enough, when I tried last night, download speeds were fine. It's just good luck signing into the network haha.

I wonder how many consoles they sold at launch? I assume thy fulfilled the 1 million preorders and hadore for people in line. So maybe 1.5-2 million sales day one?
It would be funny if they sold 2 Million day one given the Wii U's lifetime sales are around 3.5-4 Million. I know they're completely different consoles but still just seems sad for the Wii U.

Anyone else had the broken hdmi issue? Just a pulsing blue light here. I've tried taking the hdd out, nothing helps. THIS SUCKS! Any help appreciated

Think thats bad? I picked up mine at UPS and the lady there said they had a line of 8 people picking up their orders at 8AM.

Well, it's not really fair to compare the Wii U and PlayStation 4. In terms of games, the PlayStation 4 has more recent ports, where as the Wii U did not. Like, ME 3 was 8 months old, Darksiders 2 was 3 months, Batman was 1 year. In the PlayStation 4's case, we're talking about games that are under a month old and you could have easily waited for the port. Going off a really in demand B2G1 sale doesn't help either.

We could, but we won't.
I'm not sure if my UPS pickup center had a line around opening at 8AM since I was at Target looking for NFS Rivals. But I got there at around 9AM to pick up my PS4 from the Sony Store and I see a ton (probably 2 rows deep top to bottom) of Amazon Boxes that are the same size as my PS4 package with orange fragile stickers on them.

One final observation - out of 40+ people in line, there is exactly one woman. So yeah, there is a little truth to some gaming stereotypes ;).
I think at the launch I went to there were like five or six one of them was my wife who I dragged to it and I believe most others were in the same boat
There were 3 woman out of 75+ people. 1 was a mom there with her teenage son, another with her boyfriend. And then me who dragged my poor tired husband to launch. ( at least I didn't make him drive). He is a PC gamer so hey often teases me when I get excited for a new game, look honey all I have to do is hit this little download button at midnight and the games mine :p

I don't see any pins being the problem, i've tried several hdmi cords and looked in the unit's port but nothing, this is a major bummer

So that's like 5-10 confirmed CAGs with faulty PS4s? That really stinks. Sorry guys =(

Mine is out for shipment now. Hoping it's a healthy console!

Anyone else had the broken hdmi issue? Just a pulsing blue light here. I've tried taking the hdd out, nothing helps. THIS SUCKS! Any help appreciated
Same issue here. Just pulsing blue and no picture. Guess it is time to call up Sony and get a replacement sent out.

Question about updating via USB. Does the USB need to be empty/clean? Or can I use my External Harddrive and just load the PS4 > Update folders onto the root? Having other stuff on there won't intefere, will it?

Happy PS4 Day! I can't get CAG Mobile. Anyone else having this issue? I'm only getting the full site on my phone today.

Apparently a pulsating blue light does not mean your hdmi is broken there is a fix... and i've listed it below including the source:

1. Remove the HDD

2. Turn on the PS4 (without the HDD)

3. Turn the PS4 off and Put the HDD back in

4. Turn the PS4 back on again.

5. The system should now boot to the OS.

This will re-format the HDD, so its best if we backup our saves to USB while we wait for Sony to give us a permanent fix.

source:

http://ps4daily.com/2013/11/playstation-4-bricked/

Apparently, the ones that have flashing blue lights have been shipping with "bricked" hard drive or fragmented ones... so formatting it will fix the prob... hope it works!!

Apparently a pulsating blue light does not mean your hdmi is broken there is a fix... and i've listed it below including the source:

1. Remove the HDD

2. Turn on the PS4 (without the HDD)

3. Turn the PS4 off and Put the HDD back in

4. Turn the PS4 back on again.

5. The system should now boot to the OS.

This will re-format the HDD, so its best if we backup our saves to USB while we wait for Sony to give us a permanent fix.

source:

http://ps4daily.com/2013/11/playstation-4-bricked/

Apparently, the ones that have flashing blue lights have been shipping with "bricked" hard drive or fragmented ones... so formatting it will fix the prob... hope it works!!
This makes me even MORE happy that my stock drive will never even spin up.

Upgraded 1 TB drive will be in before the system is even hooked to my tv. :)

Sounds like this is going to be a very big issue and is a far cry from the "Isolated incident" they want it to be.
Shu came out and said they anticipated a 0.4% equipment problem rate (if you've ever taken a business or engineering stats class, you know how they come up with these numbers!).

Given the hundreds of thousands of consoles that are probably part of this first run, you're gonna hear stories, especially since people will show up to announce a problem, but the majority who are not having a problem wont be posting to say "mine is fine", etc etc.

Shu came out and said they anticipated a 0.4% equipment problem rate (if you've ever taken a business or engineering stats class, you know how they come up with these numbers!).

Given the hundreds of thousands of consoles that are probably part of this first run, you're gonna hear stories, especially since people will show up to announce a problem, but the majority who are not having a problem wont be posting to say "mine is fine", etc etc.
This. Mine is working fine for what its worth.

Well, finally got to play a bit of AC4. Looks like the 4.5gb initial download only covers the first sequence and Abstergo Entertainment section, as trying to start sequence 2 left me on an "installing . . . 10% complete" screen.

That's fine. I'm impressed now. Looks as good as my PC (5 year old CPU, but I upgraded the video card 2 years ago), but runs smoother, which is pretty much what I hoped for.

Hopefully the rest of AC4 will be downloaded when I'm up tonight. I did notice an odd graphical glitch of sorts where the outline of the player character would blur around the edges when fiddling with the camera but I'm hoping it's just due to the 'partial' download. 

Well, finally got to play a bit of AC4. Looks like the 4.5gb initial download only covers the first sequence and Abstergo Entertainment section, as trying to start sequence 2 left me on an "installing . . . 10% complete" screen.

That's fine. I'm impressed now. Looks as good as my PC (5 year old CPU, but I upgraded the video card 2 years ago), but runs smoother, which is pretty much what I hoped for.

Hopefully the rest of AC4 will be downloaded when I'm up tonight. I did notice an odd graphical glitch of sorts where the outline of the player character would blur around the edges when fiddling with the camera but I'm hoping it's just due to the 'partial' download.
What I noticed from the video comparisons (because crappy video players don't do the differences much justice in terms of fideltiy) was some of the cloth modeling and smoother animations. Especially during the fight sequences.

Hopefully, that's what I'll be playing tonight once the kiddies are in bed. Knack and Lego Marvel, probably, this evening. :)

As I've said, the HDD trick doesn't always work. I've tried it and no luck. I've been on hold with customer support for about thirty minutes now.

Apparently Lego Marvel Heroes won't be sold in Target stores until Nov. 22nd and any orders still pending from Target.com are back-ordered with no estimated time of delivery. And I have never had so many problems getting a straight answer out of anyone in customer service as I have trying to figure out if and when this game is going to be available. This has been my morning. I give up. I'd just go buy it somewhere else if it weren't going to cost me $30 more to do that.

Time to set up this console and hope my bad karma is already a spent and it's not DOA.

I went to Hastings this morning at about 9:30. I didn't pre order, but was able to snag their last one. So awesome!
I went to Target to see if they had a game in stock and there were about nine people waiting to pick up PS4s without pre-order cards. Everyone walked in and got their consoles just fine but because of the B2G1 deal there was only one copy of Killzone and they had very few copies of everything else. So people going there were going to be able to get consoles but not games. That said, the manager there - if you asked - was willing to give a raincheck on the B2G1 sale.

bread's done
Back