PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

Is anyone running their PS4 through a cheap unpowered HDMI switch and having it work without turning on another device attached to the switch to power it? Trying to figure out if it's a fluke of this switch or the PS4 where I have to turn on the PS3 or WiiU to get the switch to power on.
I am using this one and I have no issues:

http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PET0301S-HDMI-Switcher-Support/dp/B00B46XUQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384651117&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+switch

if anyone is playing knack, add me, ritchardf, im somewhere in level 3 or 4, and i really want some friends playing it so i can utilize the option to pick a different item in the chests i open.
I added you earlier. I am on chapter 5 now. Has the item share worked for you so far?

For those that have a non-functioning PS4, did you allow it either intentionally or non-intentionally go on standby mode?

I want to consume less power but I'm a bit weary on putting it on standby mode at the moment

Anyone know this?  I'm trying to LOAD my PS3 SAVE file for AC4 onto my PS4... it's not jiving.  I don't wanna have to start over... I seriously got my white whales, ship upgrades, and everything... is that all lost because I paid Sony for a hardware update?

Edit:  Dammit... the PS4 is disinclined to acquiesce to my request.  Means No.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm loving how fast PSN is for me on PS4 vs PS3.

TJsAk39.jpg

Watched some of a Bluray movie on PS4. They changed the controls and they're better than PS3. Everything is along the bottom of the screen and easier to navigate than the control panel on PS3.

How did you guys put your PS4 in your entertainment center? Did anyone stack their's on something or stack anything on it? I stacked my PS3 Slim on top of PS4, but a little worried it might be insulating the heat from escaping out the PS4 top.

Have had BF4 error on me 4 times in the last 10 minutes...dafuq?
Its glitched out for me a good 30+ times. Never any warning either, sometimes happened on the menu, other times in the middle of a gunfight...

On the upside I managed to platinum it. Ain't touching it till they patch it, not like it was letting me play Rush for some reason anyway.

With all this failure rate news, anybody bought extended warranty for your systems? Any prior (ps3) experience with sony's?
I feel like if you have one of these consoles with an issue it's known almost right away and can either be returned to the store or covered by the 1 year warranty. And if there is an issue that creeps up later on a mass scale Sony will be forced to cover it like Microsoft with RROD. So I'm not buying one, however the $60 36 month accidental damage warranty Sony is offering seems more than fair if you are wanting to buy one.

How did you guys put your PS4 in your entertainment center? Did anyone stack their's on something or stack anything on it? I stacked my PS3 Slim on top of PS4, but a little worried it might be insulating the heat from escaping out the PS4 top.
All the heat goes out the back so stacking on top of the PS4 shouldn't be an issue at all. Here are images taken with a thermal camera that show this. http://www.planetextech.com/profiles/blogs/playstation-4-thermal-images

I bought the $60 accidental.  I read through all the terms and they seem fair.  I figure it covers me for 36 months.  By then, there'll be an upgrade or it'll have been traded.  It's all about piece of mind.  The RROD didn't seem immediately apparent but then I had 3 of them have it.  If not for the warranties, I'd have been SOL.

I got the 1 year Gamestop one. Never really had any major issues with any of my consoles, don't expect this one to be any different.

I'll just "accidentally" drop it right before it ends and get a new console

I got the 1 year Gamestop one. Never really had any major issues with any of my consoles, don't expect this one to be any different.

I'll just "accidentally" drop it right before it ends and get a new console
I went with the two year one from them. Used TIC to pay for it. Literally payed $0 for the console, accessories, and warranty.

Just a note, the one year runs congruently with the Sony one.

I played Resogun for 30 minutes and had no idea what I was doing. I had to look up reviews to figure out how to play it (specifically how to know where the next human would pop up). I wonder if I missed a "how to play" screen in the game. I'm still not sure how to tell keepers apart from other enemies, but now that I know what to look for I guess I'll figure it out next time I play.

I went with the two year one from them. Used TIC to pay for it. Literally payed $0 for the console, accessories, and warranty.

Just a note, the one year runs congruently with the Sony one.
Ah ok. Thought it was an extension.

Either way I didn't mind, like 70% of my PS4 got paid off from the Walmart glitch. And I just recently paid almost 120$ for a Laptop warranty, so 40$ for this didnt feel nearly as bad

Just bought the accidental plan at PSN. With the 10 dollars voucher from sony, I only had to pay 49.99. I would strongly recommend buying it, specially since we are early adopters

I bought the $60 accidental. I read through all the terms and they seem fair. I figure it covers me for 36 months. By then, there'll be an upgrade or it'll have been traded. It's all about piece of mind. The RROD didn't seem immediately apparent but then I had 3 of them have it. If not for the warranties, I'd have been SOL.
Does Sony's 3 year warranty start after the first year that comes free or starts once you purchase the plan?

It does add 24 months after, so 3 years. I wonder if you can wait a year to buy it.

Does the ps4 notify you when one of your friends has logged on? I know the box would pop up in the top right on the ps3 but I dont see anything for the ps4. Am I missing a setting somewhere? 

Those thermal images are what make me worry more. They show the top getting hot and my PS3 is completely insulating the top of my PS4. I may have to move my 360.
All I know is after playing Ghosts for about an hour, I turned off the system and felt the top of the PS4 and it was pretty darn warm. Not really hot, but warmer than I would have expected. I know I wouldn't piggy back another system on top of the PS4.

did you guys find the option of turning off the ps4 and keep downloading games in the background(like ps3?) I don't see that option when I press the home button...

also, there is any way of checking the battery of dualshock? If I press the home button I can't see the battery level

This might be a stupid question, but I'm not so knowledgeable of such things. What's the largest capacity hard drive you can swap into the PS4? Is 1 TB the max recommended? Thanks. 

Also, feel free to add me: Badwolf57

did you guys find the option of turning off the ps4 and keep downloading games in the background(like ps3?) I don't see that option when I press the home button...

also, there is any way of checking the battery of dualshock? If I press the home button I can't see the battery level
Hold the ps button for a few seconds. The screen that shows up will have a battery indicator on the bottom. To download while PS4 is turned off. Just go to the turn off selection and put it in standby.

It's under settings and it is automatically checked on. (For US consoles.)

Also to check battery levels, you have to hold down the PS button and it is in the bottom right.

Does Sony's 3 year warranty start after the first year that comes free or starts once you purchase the plan?

It does add 24 months after, so 3 years. I wonder if you can wait a year to buy it.
You have to buy the accidental within 30 days. I just haven't done it yet because I'm super lazy, lol.

I played Resogun for 30 minutes and had no idea what I was doing. I had to look up reviews to figure out how to play it (specifically how to know where the next human would pop up). I wonder if I missed a "how to play" screen in the game. I'm still not sure how to tell keepers apart from other enemies, but now that I know what to look for I guess I'll figure it out next time I play.
That makes me sad and also probably means you've never played the arcade classic Defender. It is literally Geometry Wars meets Defender and I love it so much even though I'm terrible at it. I hope they release some DLC for it because I'm going to want more even if it takes a year to make it through the few levels.

My PS4 from Amazon seems to be fully functional, Haven't had a problem with it all day yesterday and for a few hours today.  

I have BF4, Killzone and Knack if anyone wants to add me - PSN id is Jaylu

My PS4 to tv signal is still cutting out again, just happened while I was playing Knack with my nephew. I'm not streaming either so it has to be the HDMI port.

That makes me sad and also probably means you've never played the arcade classic Defender. It is literally Geometry Wars meets Defender and I love it so much even though I'm terrible at it. I hope they release some DLC for it because I'm going to want more even if it takes a year to make it through the few levels.
I played Defender in the arcade growing up in the 80s, but you're right, this is not generally my type of game. For example, I never played Geometry Wars. That said, I do enjoy Resogun quite a bit, particularly the boss battles. I was just surprised by what seemed to me like a lack of in-game instructions, something I've gotten used to over the last couple of decades.

Any idea if the PS4 might be incompatible with some TV sets? One guy said he tried a different set and it was fine. After update, it worked with his first set. Sometimes electronics don't always shake hands nicely.

I'm sorry, but thats just sad. =[

There is a loading screen that tells you all the controls (I typically see it first) and another loading screen that explains how to save humans. There is also a flat out tutorial if you play the first level on the lowest setting. As far as telling keepers from other enemies, they have a large green aura around them. You're probably overthinking this game, as it's little more than run around and shoot everything around you. It also gets a lot easier over time, so don't be discouraged if you suck at first.

Off topic / semi related

Got my first PS4 platinum and it was Resogun. :3

Played through Contrast yesterday. Its a pretty fun game, albeit frustrating because the hit/collision detection is fucked up. Had to completely restart levels/checkpoints a few times because I'd get stuck behind or between objects. Even had a puzzle totally glitch out on me (A crate fell off the map and didnt respawn)

Since BF4 is screwed up to hell and back, looks like I'll be playing lots of Killzone, Knack, and Injustice in the near future

I'd consider DC Universe if I werent so busy with FFXIV

One report of this and you're saying "it seems" to be this? Uh-huh.

That said, if this were true, good on the kid in China. Maybe people will actually put some pressure on the work conditions over there and force Foxconn into some sort of real restructuring if more workers did stuff like this. I could understand someone's frustration and it sucks that consumers would have to pay for the problem but it sucks more having to work at Foxconn, I'm sure.

One report of this and you're saying "it seems" to be this? Uh-huh.

That said, if this were true, good on the kid in China. Maybe people will actually put some pressure on the work conditions over there and force Foxconn into some sort of real restructuring if more workers did stuff like this. I could understand someone's frustration and it sucks that consumers would have to pay for the problem but it sucks more having to work at Foxconn, I'm sure.
Nobody knows the facts for now, but those who interact with Chinese forum do suggest that all the faulty units come from a concentrated batch assembled in YanTai.

If anybody have some more insight on the failure rates please let me know, I could use those data in my lectures.

Tried to exchange my unopened Knack today for Battlefield at Walmart without a receipt and was denied by the guy in electronics despite the fact that the manager approved the exchange. I'll try another Walmart tomorrow.

Tried to exchange my unopened Knack today for Battlefield at Walmart without a receipt and was denied by the guy in electronics despite the fact that the manager approved the exchange. I'll try another Walmart tomorrow.
I thought we aren't discussing this practice on CAG. Unless you did loose the receipt.

I salute you sir since I keep repeatedly ramming myself into the second boss when he does the giant orange lasers. :whee:
Slowly boost away from him and he will never catch up. Once he turns to his side, use the big laser skill and destroy one side followed by boosting to the other to destroy him. Though, if you want some help, then I can help you out. I got nothing else to do, besides wait for a podcast.

bread's done
Back