PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

Wow. Is there any way to check to see if your console was made in Yantai China? Maybe the serial #. If this is true does this mean Sony will sue Foxconn? I wonder if those same people manufactured any X1's.

This might be a stupid question, but I'm not so knowledgeable of such things. What's the largest capacity hard drive you can swap into the PS4? Is 1 TB the max recommended? Thanks.

Also, feel free to add me: Badwolf57
1.5 TB AFAIK I read that on IGN, but looking right now I don't see any max size mentioned.
Someone on Neogaf posted

The official word is that only 9.5mm HDD's are supported, but reports from a German site who apparently tore it down confirm that the 12.5mm HDD's fit.

If I'm not mistaken the largest 12.5mm HDD out on the market is 1.5TB. But will this have reifications for the noise output? Will it cause heating issues?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Is there any way to check to see if your console was made in Yantai China? Maybe the serial #. If this is true does this mean Sony will sue Foxconn? I wonder if those same people manufactured any X1's.[/size]

1.5 TB
Even if Sony wants to sue Foxconn and cut all ties with Foxconn, which I highly highly doubt that they would since nobody beats their manufacturing costs, suing a company that has no operation outside of China is not that straightforward.

I do think CAGs should report the serial of bricked systems so that we can prune the data, and hopefully latecomers can avoid that batch.

Even if Sony wants to sue Foxconn and cut all ties with Foxconn, which I highly highly doubt that they would since nobody beats their manufacturing costs, suing a company that has no operation outside of China is not that straightforward.

I do think CAGs should report the serial of bricked systems so that we can prune the data, and hopefully latecomers can avoid that batch.
This appears that it will seriously affect PS4 so does Sony just bite the big one or will they get compensation from Foxconn?

Hey guys, this might help some users experiencing the blie light of death. I got this from the sony forum. One user was able to fix his ps4.

" Hello all,

I haven't had time to fully search this thread and find if this has already been posted or not, but I managed to recover from the pulsing blue light. My PS4 worked out of the box, updated, and several games were played on it. About 15 minutes into Killzone, the display blanked and the system froze. Remembering the PS3, I held the power button for roughly 30 seconds and couldn't get the system to power off. With no other choice, I pulled the power cord out. Plugging the system back in and powering it on gave me a blank display and a pulsing blue light on the PS4. I searched for everything I could find on the Internet and none of the solutions worked. HDMI port and cable(s) were fine, tried multiple inputs and televisions, and pulled the hard drive. Nothing worked. I called Sony, they had me repeat all the trouble shooting steps then concluded that it needed to be sent in. This morning I decided to screw around some more with it.

Basically, I used an external dock to connect the hard drive to my Linux PC then used gPartEd to delete all of the partitions the PS4 made on the disk. After the partitions were deleted I formatted the disk with no files system. I put the disk back into the PS4, powered it on, and was greeted with Safe Mode. Finally! I then downloaded the 1.50 system update (the 800+Mb one) and installed it through USB. After a few minutes, the system rebooted, ran through the initial setup screen, and got everything going again. I am waiting for games to download but the system seems fine so far."

So I swapped the PS4 HDMI into the different ports of that HDMI switch and no dice on it's own, the light just blinks, but the PS3 works fine on all three ports. Will have to try a different HDMI cord tomorrow, maybe it's that.

Yep, the Chinese government makes interesting decisions in these sorts of cases. They ruled something along the lines of Apple doesn't own any of it's trademarks when they tried to sue the people making all those knockoff "i" devices. Similar things have happened with companies like Audi and BMW in the past too. Basically they take care of their interests first.

I don't know where mine was made. Works fine so far. Searching Serial # brought up nothing.

Decided to go with sony's protection plan. But il buy it in 2 weeks. Will see how my unit holds up in the 1st week or so.

Well I received my amazon preorder friday and worked with no issues.

Woke up this morning popped in Akira blu and was getting sound issues but not on the home screen or games. Next I popped in AC4 and began playing then the screen goes black and the light flashes blue with no response with the power button.

I was able to get in to safe mode and working again. Only for it to crash again under an hour. I need a replacement. Should I call Amazon or Sony?

Well I received my amazon preorder friday and worked with no issues.

Woke up this morning popped in Akira blu and was getting sound issues but not on the home screen or games. Next I popped in AC4 and began playing then the screen goes black and the light flashes blue with no response with the power button.

I was able to get in to safe mode and working again. Only for it to crash again under an hour. I need a replacement. Should I call Amazon or Sony?
Depends on how widespread the issue turns out to be. Although I think your SKU needs to be in stock at Amazon to do an exchange? I think you can get refund without it in stock though. So refund or exchange and possibly get another broken model from Amazon or send it to Sony and get it refurbished. Not sure if you would have to pay shipping. If it were me I'd get refund from Amazon or exchange with Amazon. If it happened the 2nd time I'd either get refund and wait or get it refurbished.

You should be able to tell where it was manufactured under the bottom of the console, check the label under it.
What do you look for? I can't check right now but I'd like to later.

I need some friends with PS4's! I have the + games, BF4 and Killzone will be here next week. Gamertag is the same as my CAG name. Thanks!

Its glitched out for me a good 30+ times. Never any warning either, sometimes happened on the menu, other times in the middle of a gunfight...

On the upside I managed to platinum it. Ain't touching it till they patch it, not like it was letting me play Rush for some reason anyway.

Well at least I'm not alone. It said my saves were corrupt so I lost my campaign progress and it just quit out twice during MP. I also havent gotten into a single Conquest match yet. The game looks incredible and plays pretty good but these server/error issues are really disappointing.

Anyone know how the Amazon B2G1 works if I cancel one? I'm getting tired of Need For Speed getting pushed back, then forward then back. Think Amazon will let me sub it for something else or is there nothing I can do?

Depends on how widespread the issue turns out to be. Although I think your SKU needs to be in stock at Amazon to do an exchange? I think you can get refund without it in stock though. So refund or exchange and possibly get another broken model from Amazon or send it to Sony and get it refurbished. Not sure if you would have to pay shipping. If it were me I'd get refund from Amazon or exchange with Amazon. If it happened the 2nd time I'd either get refund and wait or get it refurbished.

What do you look for? I can't check right now but I'd like to later.
At the bottom it says "Manufactured : ---- (Probably YanTai) China, September 2013"

Well, I got my ps4 on launch day. Worked for part of Saturday then it turned into a brick. Will not power on or anything! Called sony and they are sending me a box to ship it to them to see if they can fix it. If they can't they said they will ship me another. Wondering if I should just return the brick to best buy and try my luck at finding another one this week? The last thing I want is a refurbished unit. I have a feeling that's what they will send me back. A refurbished.

The ps4 is pretty amazing when it worked. Battlefield 4 hands down was amazing on next gen.

Does anyone know if I'll still be able to download my upgraded bf4 from the store that I paid 9.99 for if I purchase a new unit? That's the only thing I'm worried about.

Anyone have a PS4 NOT manufactured in YanTai?
just checked, mine was made in yantai, in september.

It runs super quiet. Only issues Ive had so far are related to PSN. Had it on for about 12 hours yesterday and never heard it once.

Well, I got my ps4 on launch day. Worked for part of Saturday then it turned into a brick. Will not power on or anything! Called sony and they are sending me a box to ship it to them to see if they can fix it. If they can't they said they will ship me another. Wondering if I should just return the brick to best buy and try my luck at finding another one this week? The last thing I want is a refurbished unit. I have a feeling that's what they will send me back. A refurbished.

The ps4 is pretty amazing when it worked. Battlefield 4 hands down was amazing on next gen.

Does anyone know if I'll still be able to download my upgraded bf4 from the store that I paid 9.99 for if I purchase a new unit? That's the only thing I'm worried about.
It should be tied to your PSN account.

Just finished Contrast. Yep, this game is a waste of time. The story is good and the graphics look good (considering) but it is a dull game that looks like it's was some interns project. No offense to the devs but this game should have been released for $5 not $15 (though it's free on PS+) since it isn't worth much more than that.

And I'm not trying to hate on the game but it is not a good platformer nor does it have good controls to warrant it a platformer. The glitches were annoying too.

Anyways, time to play more Resogun. That game is actually worth every penny.

If your unit breaks what do you do about your data on the hard drive? PS4 automatically signs you in so won't people gain access to your stuff? 

Man, my b2g1 games(knack/shadowfall/nfs) and DS4 from 11/12 still haven't shipped yet. I'd be more mad if I already had the console.

just checked, mine was made in yantai, in september.

It runs super quiet. Only issues Ive had so far are related to PSN. Had it on for about 12 hours yesterday and never heard it once.
No PS4 runs "super quiet" all the time. Play Resogun for a bit and then report back. Play Killzone for a bit and report back. When it's idling in menus it's actually quite quiet, but it definitely is one noisy little monkey when it gets going. I've now played with four different PS4s, and they're all IDENTICAL in terms of noise.

1.) All four make "interesting" clicking and whirring sounds for a second when turned on.

2.) All four are very, very quiet initially.

3.) All four can ramp up their fan speeds quite a bit during intensive gaming sessions.

*waits for people to say "No, mine is SILENT ALL THE TIME."

Remember, noise tolerances vary from person to person. The PS4, however, is significantly louder than the PS3 slim and MUCH louder than a PS3 Super Slim. Anyone expecting different is going to be very disappointed, if noise is something that he/she is sensitive to.

No PS4 runs "super quiet" all the time. Play Resogun for a bit and then report back. Play Killzone for a bit and report back. When it's idling in menus it's actually quite quiet, but it definitely is one noisy little monkey when it gets going. I've now played with four different PS4s, and they're all IDENTICAL in terms of noise.

1.) All four make "interesting" clicking and whirring sounds for a second when turned on.

3.) All four can ramp up their fan speeds quite a bit during intensive gaming sessions.

Remember, noise tolerances vary from person to person. The PS4, however, is significantly louder than the PS3 slim and MUCH louder than a PS3 Super Slim. Anyone expecting different is going to be very disappointed, if noise is something that he/she is sensitive to.
Interesting. I noticed the whirring sound a few times during use, but not when turning on, and never noticed any sound from the system itself while in menus or playing a little Resogun. Sitting 6 feet away. Will check next time though.

And some people like to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I've played at least 5 different PS4 games and used quite a few different apps and I've had loud fan noises maybe a dozen times that lasted like six seconds.

It's not a constant loud noise... I mean my 360 Slim hums the ENTIRE time it is on to the point where I don't leave it idle anymore because it is distracting. It hums louder then my cheaply made mini fridge.

And it's funny you compare it to the super slim because we had all types of geniuses post in that thread when they hit shelves saying that theirs was OMG SUPA LOUD

Are you sure you didn't loose it? :razz:

Is there a joke here I'm not getting? The word is lose, not loose. And if I "lost it walking out of Target", why wouldn't I just exchange it at Target?
Yep, that would be me using "lose" instead of "loose". Years of learning English as my second language yet I still mix up these two words. Also when to use "optimal" and "optimum".

Yep, the Chinese government makes interesting decisions in these sorts of cases. They ruled something along the lines of Apple doesn't own any of it's trademarks when they tried to sue the people making all those knockoff "i" devices. Similar things have happened with companies like Audi and BMW in the past too. Basically they take care of their interests first.
Yeah, as should any government. But the main issue I think is that Sony needs to rely on Foxconn.

bread's done
Back