PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

I just checked mine, it came from hongfujin yantai, China made Sep 2013. Should I be worried!?!? :censored:
Even if there is an issue with a batch from Yantai the chance that yours is one of them is still fairly slim. These are massive facilities with a lot of workers who manufactured a shit ton of consoles.

Anyone know how the Amazon B2G1 works if I cancel one? I'm getting tired of Need For Speed getting pushed back, then forward then back. Think Amazon will let me sub it for something else or is there nothing I can do?
Amazon chat guy told me they couldn't swap NBA 2K14 with a different game and that I would only get somewhere in the neighborhood of $43 back if I cancelled it. He also called me Wilson. My name is not Wilson. lol...

One of their Q&As on the PS Blog last week said no, which is really disappointing. They just lock it out to get you to buy a PS4 remote, which doesn't even exist at this point.
Well that's unfortunate. I have both old and new style PS3 remotes laying around which will become useless now. It sucks that both systems support bluetooth and they won't allow accessories like this to be forward compatible.

And some people like to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I've played at least 5 different PS4 games and used quite a few different apps and I've had loud fan noises maybe a dozen times that lasted like six seconds.

It's not a constant loud noise... I mean my 360 Slim hums the ENTIRE time it is on to the point where I don't leave it idle anymore because it is distracting. It hums louder then my cheaply made mini fridge.

And it's funny you compare it to the super slim because we had all types of geniuses post in that thread when they hit shelves saying that theirs was OMG SUPA LOUD
Nobody's saying the 360 isn't a total noise-fest. To be fair to Microsoft, they have improved their crappy fans in the 360s. My first 360 was horribly loud (original one). My replacement Elite was quieter. Then the next one (Jasper) was even quieter. And now I have the new 360e, which is REALLY quiet, quieter than even the quietest PS3 out there in my opinion. I sit fewer than 3 feet from it, and it's nigh-on silent (when the disc stops spinning).

The PS4 is by FAR the loudest console I own at this point. It's not constantly loud, but in fits and spurts it can be quite startlingly noisy.

Got my PS4 from BestBuy yesterday, seems to be working fine so far, though I've mostly just played Resogun, such a great game. I did notice the occasional input flickering, where my TV screen would go blue (no input) and then within a second go back to the PS4 input. But I do have a couple of pieces in between that could be the potential cause, specifically a cheap 8 dollar hdmi switch. Going to try playing with my PS4 directly connected to my TV, hopefully its not a bad Ps4. Haven't really seen anyone mention the same issue.

Nobody's saying the 360 isn't a total noise-fest. To be fair to Microsoft, they have improved their crappy fans in the 360s. My first 360 was horribly loud (original one). My replacement Elite was quieter. Then the next one (Jasper) was even quieter. And now I have the new 360e, which is REALLY quiet, quieter than even the quietest PS3 out there in my opinion. I sit fewer than 3 feet from it, and it's nigh-on silent (when the disc stops spinning).

The PS4 is by FAR the loudest console I own at this point. It's not constantly loud, but in fits and spurts it can be quite startlingly noisy.
The only time I hear my PS4 is when I boot up the system, or boot up a disc based game. As soon as it hits that loading screen of the game, quiet again.

Never hear it after that. Even playing some intense Resogun.

Got my PS4 from BestBuy yesterday, seems to be working fine so far, though I've mostly just played Resogun, such a great game. I did notice the occasional input flickering, where my TV screen would go blue (no input) and then within a second go back to the PS4 input. But I do have a couple of pieces in between that could be the potential cause, specifically a cheap 8 dollar hdmi switch. Going to try playing with my PS4 directly connected to my TV, hopefully its not a bad Ps4. Haven't really seen anyone mention the same issue.
Some people are having problems with the cheap HDMI switches and the PS4.

I never hear mine making any noise besides booting up and sometimes loading a game disc. But that might also be because I'm hearing impaired and can't hear it over the game. So take that comment for what it's worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coming in to report after some troubles day 1....I am now running smooth. I don't even notice any sound coming from the PS4 playing Ghosts right now. Not trying to rub it in to those who have bricked systems, but man PS4 is freaking excellent all around. If anything hopefully it's encouraging, I am having an absolute blast with it. 

On a side note, I run smooth on wifi. As soon as I plug in an Ethernet cord, a hard reset is coming, every time. So I guess I will just run wifi from now on until a firmware update fixes that.

No PS4 runs "super quiet" all the time. Play Resogun for a bit and then report back. Play Killzone for a bit and report back. When it's idling in menus it's actually quite quiet, but it definitely is one noisy little monkey when it gets going. I've now played with four different PS4s, and they're all IDENTICAL in terms of noise.

1.) All four make "interesting" clicking and whirring sounds for a second when turned on.
2.) All four are very, very quiet initially.
3.) All four can ramp up their fan speeds quite a bit during intensive gaming sessions.

*waits for people to say "No, mine is SILENT ALL THE TIME."

Remember, noise tolerances vary from person to person. The PS4, however, is significantly louder than the PS3 slim and MUCH louder than a PS3 Super Slim. Anyone expecting different is going to be very disappointed, if noise is something that he/she is sensitive to.
[background=#]Where are you getting this from? I just put in the same 2-3 hour COD session the last two days, that ive been putting in on my slim ps3 for the past week and there's no way it's "significantly louder", not even close. [/background]

COD Ghosts is absolute junk. That's just how I feel about it.
I disagree. It's not bad, albeit missing some hardcore game modes.

That alien game mode kinda sucks tho. (By kinda, I mean, I hate it. Personal opinion since I seem to hate everything Alien related. Like the second season of American Horror Story.)

I disagree. It's not bad, albeit missing some hardcore game modes.

That alien game mode kinda sucks tho. (By kinda, I mean, I hate it. Personal opinion since I seem to hate everything Alien related. Like the second season of American Horror Story.)
Really? Im kind of a fan of the aliens.

I kinda of wished they put in more chapters though.

Lot more teamwork needed and its better to play with folks with a mic otherwise you'll be cussing them out every time they mess up an easy challenge.

Is the aliens mode "beatable"? If it is, is it doable for a team of two? Thinking about buying it to play with my wife, but we hate endless modes.

Just finished the killzone campaign and what a waste of time that game is .... To bad cus I enjoyed the last two they had.

I'm just like 20 minutes in and disappointed. I'm a bag fan of the series but wish they hadn't used this game as a "look...we have a touchpad" example.

Would be much easier to delegate another button to bring up the commands for the drone and then use the joystick to send the commands.

Where are you getting this from? I just put in the same 2-3 hour COD session the last two days, that ive been putting in on my slim ps3 for the past week and there's no way it's "significantly louder", not even close.
Same experience here. CoD doesn't spin up the fans like Resogun or Killzone do. You have to remember that not everyone's PS3 is loud. So to ME, whose PS3 is super quiet, the PS4 is hilariously louder. As I said, it's significantly louder than any device I own at this point when it gets going..

I rented AC4 for my PS3 since my PS4 is defective and plan on picking it up tomorrow to buy. This game is AWESOME, and I didn't even like AC3 and was underwhelmed by brotherhood and rev.

I rented AC4 for my PS3 since my PS4 is defective and plan on picking it up tomorrow to buy. This game is AWESOME, and I didn't even like AC3 and was underwhelmed by brotherhood and rev.
Brotherhood is widely regarded by many (including me) as the best of the AC games. Revelations I didn't get into (in part due to the ridiculous platformy bits in the future). You should try to play Brotherhood again because it's brilliant. :)

It makes me sad to hear that Killzone is bad. It's the only reason I want a PS4.
It's not a bad game AT ALL. It's not an amazing one, but to be honest when was the last time you played an amazing FPS? Even Bioshock Infinite was an incredibly boring and repetitive FPS wrapped in a really excellent, polished presentation/story. I've really enjoyed Killzone so far, and it looks gorgeous, of course.

It's not a bad game AT ALL. It's not an amazing one, but to be honest when was the last time you played an amazing FPS? Even Bioshock Infinite was an incredibly boring and repetitive FPS wrapped in a really excellent, polished presentation/story. I've really enjoyed Killzone so far, and it looks gorgeous, of course.
This
Current gen was bioshock 1 and far cry 3
Last gen was halo 1 and 2, far cry instincts, star wards republic commando, black, to name a few

This
Current gen was bioshock 1 and far cry 3
Last gen was halo 1 and 2, far cry instincts, star wards republic commando, black, to name a few
Far Cry 3 was brilliant. Absolutely agreed. But most of the fun was the exploration and enjoyable story. The shooting didn't stand out to me as brilliant (for the same reasons that any other shooter doesn't, either). But the whole experience was top-notch!

Right now I'm enjoying BF4 and CoD Ghosts. Probably because I stopped playing FPS games prior to these for the most part because they really are all the same to some degree. Anyway, I wouldn't call BF4 amazing just because of its FPS aspects. It's excellent because of the great production values, RPG aspects etc. That's what tends to separate the good games from the great ones.

So I had a strange problem with Knack where it only let me play the first chapter and then it told me the rest needed to be "downloaded" before I could proceed. I had put the game in my system the first night just for the purpose of getting it installed so I wouldn't have to do it later. But tonight when I brought it up there was a progress bar with nothing showing and a "0:00" estimated time remaining. I quit the game, ejected the disc, put it back in - same thing. Finally I deleted the 38GB install and let it reinstall (which was pretty fast, actually) and then it worked. I guess maybe it "downloaded" but never "installed" or something - perhaps because I didn't actually start playing it the other day when I did that (just booted it up to the starting screen). In any case, that was an odd fluke and I could see a lot of people thinking the game or system was "broken" if that happened.

As for the game itself, yep, I agree with some of the gripes in the reviews. it is very linear and very annoying that you so easily get one-hit killed and have to go back to a distant checkpoint. And I was playing it with my son which makes it much easier (since he controls a second, smaller, metallic Knack that can respawn). I'd be pretty frustrated playing this by myself. Of course part of the problem is that I'm trying to do a chapter without using the yellow crystal power attacks (for a trophy) and so it all has to be via combat.

Welp, my wifi was down most of the night so I couldn't play online at all. Did they fix conquest on BF4? Really sucks that you cant join a match. Hoping its fixed now.

Exactly, I really dont get the hate. Its not a GOYT contender by any means, but its still a solid game overall. The MP is very fun too, but I have a feeling all my attention will go to BF4 haha.

That makes me sad and also probably means you've never played the arcade classic Defender. It is literally Geometry Wars meets Defender and I love it so much even though I'm terrible at it. I hope they release some DLC for it because I'm going to want more even if it takes a year to make it through the few levels.
Isn't there supposed to be online co-op with this? I'll add you tomorrow, hopefully I'll get some time in the next couple of days to actually play it.

Is the aliens mode "beatable"? If it is, is it doable for a team of two? Thinking about buying it to play with my wife, but we hate endless modes.
Its beatable. I've beat it 11 times already. The key is to have someone with armor, feral instincts (although not necessary as I just beat it by myself without feral instincts but it helps), and sentry turrets. Once you get to the very end where you have to run back to the very beginning, you set some turrets along the path before you press x or square to set off the timer for the nuke.

Oh and make sure you try and complete EVERY challenge. Challenges are key to beating the game. Once you figure it out and are able to use the sentry turret at rank 22, you'll start having a ton of fun. I actually enjoy it more than regular multiplayer.

bread's done
Back