Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
Not to defend Sony, but they said launch game upgrades would be free. Horizon 2 was never planned as a launch game, it was just mentioned in the "receiving a PS4 version" list. It's easy to see why people would be confused, but I expect better from a journalist. The guy at IGN made the same mistake.
Read the Forbes story. He goes on to explain that if you want to “quibble” about the wording, Jim Ryan explicitly was asked about Forbidden West as getting a free upgrade in an interview with the Washington Post. That’s a good journalist following up with additional proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I at least am hoping they eventually offer a free upgrade to PS5 and add disc to the collector's edition.

Here's a thought

If you're really pissed, don't buy the game at all.

But no one's gonna do that and you're all going to either buy the expensive version or pay for it twice so you're just yelling at clouds and then giving in anyway.
A lot of gaming companies have given in to things after the Twitter mob/small gaming sites called them out, so I wouldn’t say it’s yelling into clouds. Sometimes it’s honestly annoying when people/companies cave to the Twitter mob, but it does happen. Since it has happened before that’s why you see the complaining each time, because sometimes they get what they want.

On this one in particular, I do think since it’s a Sony first party game, it wouldn’t hurt them to throw its loyal player base, that might have a PS4 up in the bedroom, and a PS5 in the living room, a bone and make it $70 digital gets you the PS5 copy for your living room and PS4 copy for your bedroom. Doesn’t seem like an unreasonable request IMO.

For me personally, since I’m new to PS5 and eco system, I’ll just buy the players choice PS5 version of this once it’s $20-30.

Read the Forbes story. He goes on to explain that if you want to “quibble” about the wording, Jim Ryan explicitly mentioned Forbidden West as getting a free upgrade in an interview with the Washington Post. That’s a good journalist following up with additional proof.
He does? I just read the article and don't see any mention of that.

He does? I just read the article and don't see any mention of that.
From the article, where Jim was asked specifically about Forbidden West:

But still, if you want to quibble with the wording there, here’s Jim Ryan being explicit in a Washington Post interview around the same time when asked about cross-gen titles Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West specifically:

“No one should be disappointed,” Ryan said. “The PS5 versions of those games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set, and we have an upgrade path for PS4 users to get the PS5 versions for free. It’s about people having choice. I’m really quite pleased about the situation.”

From the article, where Jim was asked specifically about Forbidden West:

But still, if you want to quibble with the wording there, here’s Jim Ryan being explicit in a Washington Post interview around the same time when asked about cross-gen titles Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West specifically:

“No one should be disappointed,” Ryan said. “The PS5 versions of those games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set, and we have an upgrade path for PS4 users to get the PS5 versions for free. It’s about people having choice. I’m really quite pleased about the situation.”
Weird, I don't see that part. This is what I see after his mention of the blog post:

There is simply no other way to read that. Sony originally said that upgrading your PS4 copy of Horizon Forbidden West to PS5 would be free.
Miles Morales, despite a few confusing upgrades of its own which contained upgraded versions of the original Spider-Man game, did in fact have a free PS4 to PS5 upgrade path as a standalone game. Here’s how that process worked:

“You can simply navigate to the Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales  Game Hub on your PS5 console and select the upgrade offer to download the PS5 version. Note: you will need to log into your PS5 console with the same PlayStation Network account that you were using when you purchased the PS4 version of the game.”

So, not only is Horizon Forbidden West implementing an utterly confusing and nonsensical way for PS4 players to “pre-upgrade” their game for a higher price, even if it was a more standard $10 upgrade, that’s still not what they said originally. I have asked Sony for comment about this disparity and will update if I hear back.

Simply put, this isn’t what they promised. The outcry about this move has been loud enough where I do expect a response from them, so check back periodically for an update that I have to believe is coming. Anything less than a free upgrade, like they originally said, isn’t going to be good enough, and if it’s not that, they have to explain why.

I don't understand the big deal. Why does anyone ultimately need to upgrade a couple cross-gen games from ps4 to ps5 anyway? Is your backlog really that small that you can play these massive open world checklist games twice just to experience a couple graphical enhancements the second time? There's no shortage of stuff to play and new games are released every week. Hell, wait a few years and there will almost certainly be a third Horizon game to play that is actually exclusive to the PS5 and that legitimately takes advantage of the console's features. This whole thing is such a strange thing to get upset about, and there is always a new wave of internet outrage every time a company details their cross-gen upgrade plans. This won't even be a thing a year from now when the PS4 is properly retired and all big game releases become exclusive to PS5, so why get upset about this weird transitory period between console gens.
Just my situation/2 cents: I have a PS4 set up on a separate tv for my kids, so that I can use my PS5/the main tv while they play during the weekends; I also vastly prefer physical media.
So far, I have enjoyed the fact that I can buy the "lesser" PS4 version so my kids can play it on the PS4, but I can then upgrade to the PS5 version (be it free or paid) so I can fully enjoy the PS5 version myself.
Buying 2 versions of games gets expensive fast, even when cheapassing it.

Admittedly, the only reason this is bothersome as a whole, is the fact that it was promised to be a feature in the first place.
Had they never promised upgrade paths, then I would find no fault with Sony, even if I, personally, would find it a bad business decision when Microsoft is going all in with it.

In this specific case it is all the more bothersome because HFW was specifically said to offer the path on release. Having pushed back the game is no excuse to renege on that.

Weird, I don't see that part. This is what I see after his mention of the blog post:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/09/16/ps5-retail-units/

Relevant part: "While it wasn’t mentioned in Sony’s official announcement, developers of certain games later confirmed that PS5 exclusives like “Horizon: Forbidden West” and “Spider-Man: Miles Morales” aren’t exclusive at all. They’re both releasing PS4 versions, which may irritate a few Sony fans who took to heart Sony’s commitment to “next gen” development. The belief is that developing games across generations stifles creativity, and hampers the technological ambitions of the game, since it has to cater to an audience with less powerful machines.

“No one should be disappointed,” Ryan said. “The PS5 versions of those games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set, and we have an upgrade path for PS4 users to get the PS5 versions for free. It’s about people having choice. I’m really quite pleased about the situation.” "

Is it weird to anyone else that there are people who are arguing AGAINST holding corporations to their word and expecting more value for their dollar?

Companies are allowed to change their minds. What Sony should have said is:

"While we originally stated that Forbidden West would be a free upgrade, the development costs have turned out to be much higher than we had originally thought and so we now need to charge the customer to upgrade."

I'm not defending this new FW upgrade info but that would be a much clearer statement and at least explain the change.

"While we originally stated that Forbidden West would be a free upgrade, the development costs have turned out to be much higher than we had originally thought and so we now need to charge the customer to upgrade."

I'm not defending this new FW upgrade info but that would be a much clearer statement and at least explain the change.
But the situation is even shittier than just charging a fee to upgrade. If you buy the PS4 version, then a year later get a PS5, you can’t just pay a upgrade fee. You have to buy a whole new version of the game.

Read the Forbes story. He goes on to explain that if you want to “quibble” about the wording, Jim Ryan explicitly was asked about Forbidden West as getting a free upgrade in an interview with the Washington Post. That’s a good journalist following up with additional proof.
Much like Vigilante, I didn't see that when I read the story and I didn't think figuring out what they actually said was "quibbling".
I still think they should offer a free upgrade though.

But the situation is even shittier than just charging a fee to upgrade. If you buy the PS4 version, then a year later get a PS5, you can’t just pay a upgrade fee. You have to buy a whole new version of the game.
With how other save files have been, I’d be quite worried about progress carrying over correctly from the PS4 version to a completely different PS5 version.

I'm not denying that it sucks. I'm just simply stating that Sony, as of now, is okay with that.

They don't need to charge the customer to upgrade though. There's no need here. They know they can get away with it and make a bunch of money in the process, so they're doing it. Are they allowed to change their mind in order to make more money? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean the decision is beyond criticism simply because it's something they can do. I don't think anyone is arguing that they can't do this.

More broadly, a lot of us feel that Sony has done a piss poor job lately at making their customers excited about the future of their brand. Out of the gate I felt like they did much better than Microsoft by actually having some exclusives for their new console! But from last June (with R&C) to next February (H:FW) it looks like there won't be a single true exclusive launching on the PS5, just minor "director's cuts" and some "but it's not on Xbox, just PC" stuff. I realize this is due to Covid, but somehow Covid isn't stopping Nintendo from putting out games for switch like Warioware, the Pokemon remakes, Skyward Sword HD, Metroid Dread, PL: Arceus, Disgaea 6, etc.

I realize a lot of people are gonna disagree with me, and I respect your opinion, but I just don't understand what the hell Sony is doing. This is classic "industry leader" coasting behavior, and I am very unimpressed by it.

I want to buy games for my PS5! I want new, unique experiences that take advantage of the hardware, not upscaled PS4 titles with a little extra content. Demon's Souls & Returnal were good--but I want more. I will wait, it'll be fine, but I'm hoping the event on September will give me some more confidence in the future.

Anyone else have a bunch of PS4 games on the backlog but afraid to start them in case they get a PS5 enhancement (or have already confirmed enhancements) you would miss out on by playing now? I am not complaining but just find myself avoiding certain games in favor of other systems or older backlog games unlikely to get makeovers.

Here are the games in my backlog I know are getting better PS5 versions or are very likely to be better if I wait: Cyberpunk 2077, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Control Ultimate Edition (is this game safe to start now or should I wait?). I am also waiting on The Last of Us Part 2, Days Gone and Borderlands 3 but am not expecting a PS5 upgraded version unless someone else knows something otherwise. 

Here are the games in my backlog I know are getting better PS5 versions or are very likely to be better if I wait: Cyberpunk 2077, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Control Ultimate Edition (is this game safe to start now or should I wait?). I am also waiting on The Last of Us Part 2, Days Gone and Borderlands 3 but am not expecting a PS5 upgraded version unless someone else knows something otherwise.
Ghost of Tsushima already has an upgrade. I bought it, they announced the update, then waited for the update, and started like the week it came out.

I thought Control had a PS5 version also.

Borderlands 3 has a PS5 version upgrade, so I don't know what you're waiting for there.

Days Gone has a PS5 upgrade already as well.
I think we're confusing PS5 upgrades with PS4 games that have patches that make them run better on the PS5; these are different things. Days Gone does not have a native PS5 app that you can upgrade to. You download the PS4 game and it runs better on PS5. Same thing with Horizon and God of War. There are other games that run better on PS5 that did not get a patch because their framerates on PS4 Pro were uncapped and/or they had dynamic resolution scaling, Dark Souls 3 for instance.

And some games have actually gotten PS5 upgrades after getting patches that make the PS4 version run better on PS5. Ghost of Tsushima for instance. I think Warzone is getting a native PS5 version but had a patch before. Genshin Impact... Destiny 2?

I have very little interest in the PS5 in the first place. The weeb scene is rapidly moving to Switch, and if the next big Kingdom Hearts game is multiplatform then drop Sony entirely.

I think we're confusing PS5 upgrades with PS4 games that have patches that make them run better on the PS5; these are different things. Days Gone does not have a native PS5 app that you can upgrade to. You download the PS4 game and it runs better on PS5. Same thing with Horizon and God of War. There are other games that run better on PS5 that did not get a patch because their framerates on PS4 Pro were uncapped and/or they had dynamic resolution scaling, Dark Souls 3 for instance.

And some games have actually gotten PS5 upgrades after getting patches that make the PS4 version run better on PS5. Ghost of Tsushima for instance. I think Warzone is getting a native PS5 version but had a patch before. Genshin Impact... Destiny 2?
Yeah you're right, my bad. Thought it was a full scale PS5 upgrade on days gone, but it's just a patch.

No worries. It's confusing; that's part of Sony's problem. It's so hard to tell what has been updated, what works better on PS5, what doesn't and why. There are a lot of third party lists, but Sony can't be bothered to make an official one or give us a charm on the webstore for enhanced titles. But we can't have that because the PSN webstore still lacks BASIC features.

I saw on the front page of CAG that "Wheel of Fortune" is on sale on the PSN.

The puzzle says "Chocolate Ca - - s."  The dashes are blanks.  What is the second word supposed to be if "e" is already entered?

The puzzle says "Chocolate Ca - - s." The dashes are blanks. What is the second word supposed to be if "e" is already entered?
I saw that as well. It's a fast toss up. Random letters get filled in

Some people just haven't been to Chocolate Camp, and it shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN64XhsErj8

All this PS5 confusion with Sony has led me away from them. I've had a couple of Sony invites to purchase a PS5 and decided not to do it, just because their messaging is all over the place. I have bought every Sony console at launch since the PS1, and this is the 1st time I have no interest in them until they turn the ship and get consumer friendly. Xbox has done it from the horrible Xbox One launch, Sony kinda did it before with the PS3 launch (remember them saying you should get a second job to pay for it, lol), so there's hope.

The puzzle says "Chocolate Ca - - s." The dashes are blanks. What is the second word supposed to be if "e" is already entered?
If I remember the tweet, the e is lit up meaning it was guessed correctly but just hasn't been flipped yet. That or they are solving the puzzle and filling in the letters which is why the k is highlighted in the letters.

Ghost of Tsushima already has an upgrade. I bought it, they announced the update, then waited for the update, and started like the week it came out.

I thought Control had a PS5 version also.

Borderlands 3 has a PS5 version upgrade, so I don't know what you're waiting for there.
I own the base PS4 version of Ghost of Tsushima and with the Director's Cut out there I am debating on waiting for a sale on the upgrade. I have the PS+ Control Ultimate Edition. Is Control safe to start then? I didn't know Borderlands 3 was already updated for PS5, thanks.

Right now I am doing the Gears of War series (started with the 1st game last night) as the Series X is my first XBOX since the first XBOX console. I am trying to make the most of my Gamepass subscription for now.

I own the base PS4 version of Ghost of Tsushima and with the Director's Cut out there I am debating on waiting for a sale on the upgrade. I have the PS+ Control Ultimate Edition. Is Control safe to start then? I didn't know Borderlands 3 was already updated for PS5, thanks.

Right now I am doing the Gears of War series (started with the 1st game last night) as the Series X is my first XBOX since the first XBOX console. I am trying to make the most of my Gamepass subscription for now.
Yeah control is safe to start. Really enjoyed that game. Haven't had a chance to play the DLC yet but I've heard good things.

All this PS5 confusion with Sony has led me away from them. I've had a couple of Sony invites to purchase a PS5 and decided not to do it, just because their messaging is all over the place. I have bought every Sony console at launch since the PS1, and this is the 1st time I have no interest in them until they turn the ship and get consumer friendly. Xbox has done it from the horrible Xbox One launch, Sony kinda did it before with the PS3 launch (remember them saying you should get a second job to pay for it, lol), so there's hope.
There's little incentive to pick up one at MSRP right now. They'll go on sale eventually after stocking shortages are over.

I will wait till the slim models out like always since they almost always make them the better model of the 3 shape difference models. The only thing that could change that would be if they decide to remove ps4 bc with the other models.

I doubt they would remove PS4 BC on the PS5 since it is software based and isn't like the PS3 BC where that was hardware based.  PS4 and PS5 are based on the same system architecture.

Also it was reported that global semiconductor shortage could last until 2023.

There's some speculation that the Alan Wake Remastered will be one of the free games for PS+ in October. 

We also might see God of War Ragnarok next week too, Cory Barlog has been hinting at it on his twitter account. I think we will definitely see Kena Bridge of Spirits and Deathloop since those two games are coming out in a few weeks.

I just played Alan wake for the first time a few months ago when I got a series S and it was on gamepass. It went off gamepass in the middle of my playing so I happily paid the $20 to buy it. Awesome game! If anyone hasn’t played it yet I can’t recommend it more - doesn’t waste your time either, I think 12 hours and you’re done.

I'm in the same boat. I have zero interest in buying a PS5 & I've could have snagged one at retail 7 times over now. The constant f-u to their customers is appauling to me. Releasing a third baked console, trying to shut down digital store fronts, the dam freaking C-Bomb! I absolutely hate this one, their stupid stance on cross play, backtracking on upgrades, how they're treating smaller devs, pushing for censoreship in games on their platform. I could go on.

At the end of the day I think the ps4 is going to be my last console from them.

I just played Alan wake for the first time a few months ago when I got a series S and it was on gamepass. It went off gamepass in the middle of my playing so I happily paid the $20 to buy it. Awesome game! If anyone hasn’t played it yet I can’t recommend it more - doesn’t waste your time either, I think 12 hours and you’re done.
Played it once when it first released, underwhelmed me but I appreciate game mechanics over heavy-handed narrative any day so wasn't my cup of coffee.

20https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1434232279874813954?s=20
mr-bison-street-fighter.gif

I don’t have or use Twitter so I had to go search out the article because the link won’t work for me, if anyone is like me, I’ll hook you up:

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/09/04/pre-order-horizon-forbidden-west-now-collectors-and-digital-deluxe-editions-detailed/

From the article:

“ …Players who purchase Horizon Forbidden West on PlayStation 4 will be able to upgrade to the PlayStation 5 version for free.

I also want to confirm today that moving forward, PlayStation first-party exclusive cross-gen titles (newly releasing on PS4 & PS5)–both digital and physical*–will offer a $10 USD digital upgrade option from PS4 to PS5. This will apply to the next God of War and Gran Turismo 7, and any other exclusive cross-gen PS4 & PS5 title published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

— Jim Ryan, President & CEO, Sony Interactive Entertainment”

I also want to confirm today that moving forward, PlayStation first-party exclusive cross-gen titles (newly releasing on PS4 & PS5)–both digital and physical*–will offer a $10 USD digital upgrade option from PS4 to PS5. This will apply to the next God of War and Gran Turismo 7, and any other exclusive cross-gen PS4 & PS5 title published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.
— Jim Ryan, President & CEO, Sony Interactive Entertainment”
Wow not even free upgrades what a shit company let's get em

Wow not even free upgrades what a shit company let's get em
The whole reason they are charging the $10 upgrade fee to begin with is because PS4 games are $60 and PS5 games are $70. If they didn’t charge to upgrade, PS5 owners would just buy the PS4 version and upgrade it. Kinda defeats the purpose of raising the price of first-party games if you allow an exploit.

Calling Jim Ryan on his shit is working at least. The PS3/Vita stores and now this. I'm glad they reversed course, but it sucks that they even think these decisions would fly.

The whole reason they are charging the $10 upgrade fee to begin with is because PS4 games are $60 and PS5 games are $70. If they didn’t charge to upgrade, PS5 owners would just buy the PS4 version and upgrade it. Kinda defeats the purpose of raising the price of first-party games if you allow an exploit.
They promised a free PS5 upgrade for Horizon Forbidden West. They should at least stick to their word. Don't let them off the hook. I want to see Jim Ryan burn!

bread's done
Back