Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
I wish people would stop trying to push this blatant misinformation. There are wrong opinions. Here are just a few examples.

“Genocide is an effective measure to solve world problems.”
“Rape is a victimless crime!”
“It’s okay to put meringue on lemon pie.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vBesOFURek

Not sure if anyone here plays Genshin Impact on a PS4 Pro but mine overheated for the first time when at the log in screen and then again after a dust cleaning, blasting it with a fan until it cooled down and a reboot. The proper error screen showed and it is indeed hot so it wasn't a false reading or anything.
Anyone have the same issue? I know it's horribly optimized (because of course it is), but there's no way it just refuses to run on people's PS4 Pros. The only thing I can think of is that I have Supersampling on for my 1080p TV but that'd still be a massive oversight.
Haven't played it, but I had to repaste the thermal paste and replaced the thermal pads on my launch model pro because it was starting to have some overheating issues before I sold it.

I'd advise doing that and see if it helps the problem any.

I was pretty unimpressed by Deathloop while I was playing it... took me 15 hours to finish it and the story was very disappointing to me. But now after it's over it's wormed its way into my head. I've been thinking about how awesome the combat is.

I'd say wait on it, but it's definitely worth playing.

I was pretty unimpressed by Deathloop while I was playing it... took me 15 hours to finish it and the story was very disappointing to me. But now after it's over it's wormed its way into my head. I've been thinking about how awesome the combat is.

I'd say wait on it, but it's definitely worth playing.
I’m a bit stumped at the 10’s and top score it’s receiving from many sites. While it doesn’t seem like a bad game, I don’t see it in the same league as many other “10’s” like Red Dead or even Last of Us, etc (granted most of those highly rated, “perfect” games aren’t my personal favorites).

I understand the time loop gimmick is exciting for people, but having just played The Forgotten City, I wasn’t as wowed by Deathloop’s mechanics. It is very very reminiscent of Dishonored, which is understandable. But is there any in-game explanation for why the enemies are all wearing masks and look so low resolution? Maybe it’s just the art style … but it looks awful compared to something like Dishonored 2 or Prey.

It also tends to have minor freezing issues on the PS5, which is a first. Maybe it’s better on PC, but sad to think the PS5 is already running into performance issues. Hopefully it’s more of an optimization issue, but the fact it can’t do ray tracing and 60 fps (it locks at 30) isn’t a great sign.

I rented it but I’ll probably wait til BF to pick it up, depending on price. Wouldn’t personally rate it near a 10, maybe an 8 … and definitely not worth full price imo.

I didn't notice any recurring performance issues on my PS5, it ran beautifully on performance mode, but there are technical issues here in the form of crashes and bugs that crop up occasionally. But my complaints are more low-level than that. Scope-wise, Deathloop is a small game, closer to something like Death of the Outsider than Dishonored 2. Here are the chief things that disappointed me:

1) There are only 10ish guns. They're modifiable but there's no visual changes when you alter them with trinkets. Only one of them has an actual sight that I'm aware of. A lot of them are very redundant. I got one gun within the first 3 hours I used pretty much the whole game.

2) There are 4 stages, each of which has 3-4 time variants. And they aren't that different aside from enemy placement and blocked locations. They also aren't as huge as I expected given that there's only 4.

3) The analogy to Dishonored is way too easy. You have the same abilities and they use the same tropes to explain the story. This is disappointing, because the style is radically different. I wish they would've changed up the overall package more.

4) There are a lot of traits, trinkets, and powers to mess with compared to what you can actually slot in your loadout, so I just never used a bunch of the Arsenal.

5) The replay value of the game is terrible because you're already doing so much repetition as a part of just playing through once. This is made worse by the fact that you'll have to redo extremely mundane tasks that were only interesting the first time because you were learning new things, just so that they game can "record" that you learned it and allow you to progress.

6) There's no Newgame plus or anything.

I was really thinking a lot about Prey in my early expectations and that's really what I wanted, and not at all what I got.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prey is a great, underrated game … probably Arkane’s best game to date. Shame that more people didn’t play it, doesn’t seem like it will get a sequel.

Prey is a great, underrated game … probably Arkane’s best game to date. Shame that more people didn’t play it, doesn’t seem like it will get a sequel.
Prey has potential to be a re-discovered gem if its sequel reaches more mainstream acclaim. It reminded me of Bioshock in the way that it immersed me into the world. Great story and fun gameplay.

A Plague Tale: Innocence and Control Ultimate were pretty great this year.
Tried both, wasn't a fan of either. My issue is games are becoming more interactive entertainment than actual games these days. I love a good story, but if the button-pushing part of them isn't engaging I'd rather watch a movie. What I do find very interesting is how much people HATED QTE's two decades ago, but once they were presented in a cinematic way all was forgiven. I guess they just never fooled me.

Some of those buttons press things are done to hide load time and help the game load new assets. Some games just hide the loading better than other. It’s part of game design. It's also why game designers are excited about the PS5 SSD.

It's not perfect but I enjoyed A Plague Tale and looking forward to trying Control.

What I do find very interesting is how much people HATED QTE's two decades ago, but once they were presented in a cinematic way all was forgiven. I guess they just never fooled me.
People have always loved QTEs. Shenmue, Resident Evil 4, God of War are all beloved games. All the Quantic Dream games have been praised from the very first to the most recent. Same with the Telltale games.

QTEs are something an odd number of people pretend to hate while praising every game that features them in any major way.

I'm enjoying Deathloop a lot so far but imho so many people didn't play Dishonored 2 and Prey that I think Deathloop being a lot of folks' first run-in with modern Arkane is what's really blowing their socks off about it. Kinda like how your first Zelda of Final Fantasy would probably be your favorite

True though anyone who doesn't choose A Link to the Past (not my first) or Final Fantasy 6 (also not my first) is completely 100000000000000000000000000000000000000% wrong. This is science and I don't go against it.  :beer:

Tried both, wasn't a fan of either. My issue is games are becoming more interactive entertainment than actual games these days. I love a good story, but if the button-pushing part of them isn't engaging I'd rather watch a movie. What I do find very interesting is how much people HATED QTE's two decades ago, but once they were presented in a cinematic way all was forgiven. I guess they just never fooled me.
A small nice hated qte in the same way people hated dual stick controls when they first came out. Then it was done well, everyone embraced it and enjoys it as another step in gaming.

To this day, my impression is that the market doesn’t embrace QTEs so much as tolerate them. I think you’d be hard pressed to find more than a handful of weirdos who wish any game had more QTEs than it does.

True though anyone who doesn't choose A Link to the Past (not my first) or Final Fantasy 6 (also not my first) is completely 100000000000000000000000000000000000000% wrong. This is science and I don't go against it. :beer:
That sounds about right. After all, science is nothing but a series of mistaken assumptions we agree to work with until we know better.

I only ever remember hearing most people complain about QTES and I know I hate them. Just in terms of how common they are, I think they're far from the norm too.

I only ever remember hearing most people complain about QTES and I know I hate them. Just in terms of how common they are, I think they're far from the norm too.
Same here. Nobody liked them where I am. God of War had them and my friends and I all liked the game DESPITE the QTEs for bosses. I am sure there are a few people who love them, just like some people actually liked the Kinect. If I had to guess I would say the majority did not like QTEs and that is why you do not see them more often now.

Just started replaying Dark Souls last night … wonder if we might ever see a remake in the vein of Demon’s Souls. I know the remaster only came out in 2018, but it still looks rough. Either way, I’m still desperately hoping for either Bloodborne 2 or a remaster/remake of the original … love those games

Bloodborne still looks fine, so a remaster is really all it needs. Make it at least 60 fps, up the textures, and add HDR, and it'd be a big hit.

Is AI the Somnium files worth grabbing at $16?
I thought it was really good and certainly worth that price. But I also consider VN's one of the primary genres I play. There are some clichés that border on cringe-y, such as idol culture and a certain song the game forces you to listen to.. multiple times. You're also required to branch out all side-storylines to really finish the game.

Probably not for people who dislike reading or investigating small background details.

I thought it was really good and certainly worth that price. But I also consider VN's one of the primary genres I play. There are some clichés that border on cringe-y, such as idol culture and a certain song the game forces you to listen to.. multiple times. You're also required to branch out all side-storylines to really finish the game.

Probably not for people who dislike reading or investigating small background details.
It's the only game I have on my personal wishlist besides Root Film that I hope gets a bigger discount eventually

Bloodborne still looks fine, so a remaster is really all it needs. Make it at least 60 fps, up the textures, and add HDR, and it'd be a big hit.
Agreed, although it seems like modders have found quite a bit of cut content and even dropped dialogue and level connections that are inactive, so it would be amazing to see some sort of special edition that might restore some of that content (unlikely I know but it just seems like there’s so much potential for some of the cut content).

Realistically I’d just be happy with a PC release where 3rd parties might be able to offer enhancements.

First thing I did when I got my PS5 was play through most of the Souls games again after having finished them all many years ago. In Dec/Jan I played the 1 & 2 remasters and Demon remake. Then I tried to play 3 & Bloodborne and fell off on both of them fairly quickly. What I thought ultimately of each entry in the order I played them:

DeS remake is a beautiful game and worth buying a PS5 to experience if you like souls games. There's so many little gimmicks that make the levels feel unique, but towards the end when you return to the Boletarian Palace the game gets super repetitive and frustrating. It's only like, 2 hours or so before the last 2 boss fights I'm talking about, but they sucked.

DS2: SoTFS is still one of my favorites games in the series. It has such a dramatically different tone and feel to it in some ways, which makes it unpopular with the community, but I think it stands out as unique in the series for it. The music is some of the best in the series too.

DS Remastered aged much better than I expected. Sure, the textures and UI could use a little more work but ultimately it was still super enjoyable to play and after awhile I didn't even notice the difference in fidelity. Some of the regions are so visually impressive even now that I couldn't help but marvel at the grandeur of their construction.

I find DS3 unpleasant to play every time I try. Feels really lacking in charm compared to the old games and there are few gimmicks that make areas feel unique. Both the setting and the combat feel like they're trying to be Bloodborne in a way that makes the game feel like it was strung together from leftover BB combat and shoehorned into a Dark Souls experience.

I really wanted to play through Bloodborne, but its 30 FPS with frame-pacing issues stopped me dead in my tracks. Frankly all it needs is a resolution and frame rate bump from a slight engine tweak, which already exists in the wild as a proof of concept that can be applied on hacked PS4s. The fact that Sony has yet to do this makes me certain they're trying to sell us the game again soon. It's still a classic, but its age is starting to show a bit visually more than I expected (which probably wouldn't be an issue running at higher resolutions).

“as well as Castlevania: Dracula X”

Ew.
I know it’s forever cursed to be Rondo of Blood’s deformed cousin, but it DOES have its own merits. The music, in particular, has some of the best chip tunes in all of the SNES’s historic library, which is obviously no small feat. Going from the glory of CD-enabled audio to the Super Nintendo’s limited sounds and still churning out quality music is impressive, to say the least.

I know it’s forever cursed to be Rondo of Blood’s deformed cousin, but it DOES have its own merits. The music, in particular, has some of the best chip tunes in all of the SNES’s historic library, which is obviously no small feat. Going from the glory of CD-enabled audio to the Super Nintendo’s limited sounds and still churning out quality music is impressive, to say the least.
Eh? Konami always pumped out quality music in the 80s and 90s. I mean, yes, Dracula X is good, too, but it’s kinda hard to get worked up about yet another good Konami OST when there are so many already and the game attached to it is so meh.

At least it’s better than the 3D titles, though it’s an odd inclusion regardless. It’d have fit in better with Anniversary or Requiem.

People have always loved QTEs. Shenmue, Resident Evil 4, God of War are all beloved games. All the Quantic Dream games have been praised from the very first to the most recent. Same with the Telltale games.

QTEs are something an odd number of people pretend to hate while praising every game that features them in any major way.
I think hardcore gamers hate QTE but casuals don't mind them. I like them, but then I like cinematics in general. As long as they are not MGS4 length cinematics with secret QTEs buried in them.

Holy crap, Resonance of Fate remastered is finally on sale! I'm probably going to pick up the first two Trails games for $20 each as well.

Holy crap, Resonance of Fate remastered is finally on sale! I'm probably going to pick up the first two Trails games for $20 each as well.
I have been incredibly tempted to pick up the first two Trails games now that they're both $19.99. Really want to jump into them now...

It's too bad the physical copies of those dried up so fast. I'd probably consider picking them up again if they hadn't since the ps4 versions are based on the pc versions and have extra voice work and fixed reans checkered missing voice work from the original releases. plus they include carry over data for the other games.  Makes me wonder if the new ones will have anything for cold steel 1-4.

It's too bad the physical copies of those dried up so fast. I'd probably consider picking them up again if they hadn't since the ps4 versions are based on the pc versions and have extra voice work and fixed reans checkered missing voice work from the original releases. plus they include carry over data for the other games. Makes me wonder if the new ones will have anything for cold steel 1-4.
I actually have them both physical but I'm probably going to buy them digital like a loser so I don't have to open them, lol.

Hmm, outside of God of War and RE4 I can't think of any game where QTEs in particular were praised. Most great games (or even mediocre ones) that are successful aren't successful because of the QTEs. If anything it is in spite of them. Shenmue got flack for them even back in the day and while I don't understand how anyone can make it through an entire Quantic Dream game I've never known anyone to like them because of the QTEs. So yeah, I guess "people have always loved QTEs" but I think it was maybe about 5 people. Everyone else just tolerates them.

I actually have them both physical but I'm probably going to buy them digital like a loser so I don't have to open them, lol.
makes sense. especially if they go up in value. I did that for a couple titles that went on steep sale digitally myself. As you never know if an rpg will go up in value or not and in cold steels case they did a limited print on 1, 2 and possibly 4 for ps4 compared to the original versions on ps3/vita for 1 and 2.

Well it took a few days of convincing and had to provide my receipt, but finally got bandai namco to send me a pre-order bonus code for Tales of Arise. Lesson learned, don't re order games from Amazon if you want the pre order bonus as they never sent it and Amazon's customer service was not helpful.

Castlevania Advance Collection launches later today supposedly on all platforms.  So expect to see it pop up on the PSN store at some point.

bread's done
Back