Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
Emails are going out now in other regions to Premium members that were grandfathered into it from PS Now. The price hike is much more modest for longtime customers. In the UK, for example, Premium will be going from £49.99 to £64.99 instead of £119.99. That is awesome!

Here's what mine email stated:

We want to let you know about an upcoming price change to your PlayStation®Plus subscription.

The price for your current PlayStation Plus Premium 12 month subscription will be increased to USD 159.99. This price adjustment will enable us to continue bringing high-quality games and benefits to your PlayStation Plus subscription service.

This price increase will not take effect until your next renewal date that occurs on or after November 6th. However, any membership changes you make prior to your next renewal, such as upgrades, downgrades or buying additional time, will update your plan based on the new prices. You can change or cancel your subscription at any time, details here . Please find the PlayStation Plus Usage Terms here.

Thanks for your continued support,
PlayStation

Just canceled my PS Essential subscription but still have access to it until 11/29/23.

Unless there is a killer Black Friday deal my PS sub goes dark for first time in many many years. Will lose access to the PS3, PS4 and PS5 game library I built up with Essential subs every year.

Honestly I am fine with that since I use my PS5 for the PS4 and PS5 Sony exclusives that I purchased. Same with my PS3.

Here's what mine email stated:

We want to let you know about an upcoming price change to your PlayStation®Plus subscription.

The price for your current PlayStation Plus Premium 12 month subscription will be increased to USD 159.99. This price adjustment will enable us to continue bringing high-quality games and benefits to your PlayStation Plus subscription service.

This price increase will not take effect until your next renewal date that occurs on or after November 6th. However, any membership changes you make prior to your next renewal, such as upgrades, downgrades or buying additional time, will update your plan based on the new prices. You can change or cancel your subscription at any time, details here . Please find the PlayStation Plus Usage Terms here.

Thanks for your continued support,
PlayStation
My mobile app is still showing "buy another subscription to add to your time for $99" for PS Extra. If it's accurate, I wouldn't mind adding a year before cancelling. Worried if I click "Buy Again" it'll charge me the new price.

Related - I'm paid for through May 2025, before 9/6 my price to upgrade to Premium for the duration was $33, not it's $100. fuck that.

FF16 didn't feel like a bad purchase even at $60.

The DLC announcement is a little annoying...but the game is very enjoyable.

If you don't have a capable HDR display then save that $40 and put it in the piggy bank towards a high quality TV. This game is an HDR spectacle to behold.
I also enjoyed it a lot. The story kinda falls apart towards the end and I wish there were more RPG elements - Clive is the only party member you control or manage, no one else even has gear or shows up in the menu, it's all very passive. New gear is strictly a menu-based affair (minus his sword, all of them have unique appearances) and it just feels like your paying for stat upgrades vs the excitement of getting new armor. Borderlands has more RPG elements than FF16, honestly.

It's still a great game and I'm glad they tried something different. FF7R is still the standard for real-time combat while still being an RPG, IMHO. At least for Square-Enix.

My mobile app is still showing "buy another subscription to add to your time for $99" for PS Extra. If it's accurate, I wouldn't mind adding a year before cancelling. Worried if I click "Buy Again" it'll charge me the new price.

Related - I'm paid for through May 2025, before 9/6 my price to upgrade to Premium for the duration was $33, not it's $100. fuck that.

I also enjoyed it a lot. The story kinda falls apart towards the end and I wish there were more RPG elements - Clive is the only party member you control or manage, no one else even has gear or shows up in the menu, it's all very passive. New gear is strictly a menu-based affair (minus his sword, all of them have unique appearances) and it just feels like your paying for stat upgrades vs the excitement of getting new armor. Borderlands has more RPG elements than FF16, honestly.

It's still a great game and I'm glad they tried something different. FF7R is still the standard for real-time combat while still being an RPG, IMHO. At least for Square-Enix.
Sadly, those days are a distant dot in the rear-view mirror for Square Enix. Fortunately though, that leaves plenty of room on the stage for Indie devs to gobble up the spotlight.

Did you get the email? I would defer to that if you did. Particularly the last paragraph that says, "However, any membership changes you make prior to your next renewal, such as upgrades, downgrades or buying additional time, will update your plan based on the new prices." US-based subscribers on Reddit who got the email are only going to be charged $80 for annual Premium.

Did you get the email? I would defer to that if you did. Particularly the last paragraph that says, "However, any membership changes you make prior to your next renewal, such as upgrades, downgrades or buying additional time, will update your plan based on the new prices." US-based subscribers on Reddit who got the email are only going to be charged $80 for annual Premium.
Yes, it had been buried under some other messages but I found it. It's not offering any discounts for any changes or renewals. The text on the app has not been updated but when I proceed to the actual payment screen it's the new price.

Oh well. I'm covered for about 18 months and definitely will not be paying the new price when it's up for renewal.

I got the email as well. If I can't get a discounted essential membership between now and when my subscription ends in December I think I am done with PS+. All I use it for now is cloud saves and the monthly freebie games I barely play.  That's definitely not worth $80 a year for me. 

My email says $159.99, but my PS account shows this...

UPCOMING PLAN CHANGE
PlayStation Plus Premium: 12 Month Subscription
Next payment date: 01/12/2024
Next payment: $59.99

I'm not even bothered by the price hike anymore. This will just make it much easier to move away from console gaming. I'm still planning to buy Spider-Man 2 and FF7 Rebirth but beyond that I'm not seeing much coming to PS5-only that I really want to play.

How is it so cheap?
I have essential and it says next payment will be $59.99 as well. I read that the increased price don't show for current subscribers until after the next lower charge then it goes up for us as well. I hope that's the case at least. It's essential to have essential I mean the monthly games are worth it not to mention you'd lose all those hundreds of older titles in the backlog. Sony knows they got us by the B**** so we just have to like it.

I'm not even bothered by the price hike anymore. This will just make it much easier to move away from console gaming. I'm still planning to buy Spider-Man 2 and FF7 Rebirth but beyond that I'm not seeing much coming to PS5-only that I really want to play.
100% agree, after this move PS5 will probably be the last console I own.

My email says $159.99, but my PS account shows this...

UPCOMING PLAN CHANGE
PlayStation Plus Premium: 12 Month Subscription
Next payment date: 01/12/2024
Next payment: $59.99
Did you previously upgrade from Playstation Now? I read somewhere a while back some people that had upgraded from Playstation Now to Premium were seeing that next payment 59.99 price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Under my subscription it still says next payment $119.99. I guess we'll see if it changes on November 6th or after. I had PS now before the merger.

Strange thing happened with Rocket League. I went to download it for get the 50 points for the monthly mission and the store said it's only 1.46 GB. Well, started downloading and it's actually almost 30GB. WTF? I did a google search and 3 years ago, same thing was happening only the game was actually 14.5 GB but it still showed the same 1.46 GB install. That is incredibly misleading and has been going on for years now. Is this a Sony store issue? Rocket League Dev issue? Does this happen for other games too? Sucks as a customer thinking a game is small and it turns out to be much bigger.

Bilbil-kun has leaked some of the PS+ Extra/Premium games. Headliners include Nier Replicant, Star Ocean: The Divine Force, and 13 Sentinels. Sounds like the price hike leading to higher-quality games wasn't just PR. If they can keep up this pace, it's well-deserved.
https://www.dealabs.com/magazine/exclusif-voici-les-tetes-daffiche-des-jeux-ps-extra-de-septembre-2023-29668

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim is a HUGE get! I've had it in my wishlist after many good reviews. Nier Replicant is great as well. I have the Platinum for Nier Automata.

Bilbil-kun has leaked some of the PS+ Extra/Premium games. Headliners include Nier Replicant, Star Ocean: The Divine Force, and 13 Sentinels. Sounds like the price hike leading to higher-quality games wasn't just PR. If they can keep up this pace, it's well-deserved.
https://www.dealabs.com/magazine/exclusif-voici-les-tetes-daffiche-des-jeux-ps-extra-de-septembre-2023-29668
I've debated 13 Sentinels and Civ VI multiple times, so it'll be a good month for me! I'm also loving Sea of Stars at this point. The intro dragged a little, but now that the adventure has started, I'm hooked.

13 Sentinels is absolutely terrific.  Good to see that more  people will get a chance to play it.  

Having Star Ocean in there is not bad either.  

Anyone recommend One Piece Odyssey? Picked it up for $14.99 clearance (or sale?) at 🎯 but not sure if I'll like it. Just finished the live action of the series and loved that but have not watched the cartoon nor read the manga.

Anyone recommend One Piece Odyssey? Picked it up for $14.99 clearance (or sale?) at but not sure if I'll like it. Just finished the live action of the series and loved that but have not watched the cartoon nor read the manga.
My son tells me the game takes place around episode 600 or so and you are at around the equivalent of 60-100 if you are on the live action. It seems pretty cool turn based RPG with subtitles (not dubbed with English if that bothers you) but there will be new crew characters, backstory and concepts you have no idea about. My son was waiting until he reached that point in the anime to try it out. The five from the live action are all in it though. I haven't gotten far in it, but as I understand from reading on it the only real issue is you eventually become "too powerful" towards the end and the challenge wanes.

Not sure I buy that given 3 rpgs seems really unlikely. That and I already own all but so6 from when they were 15$ at bestbuy. But seems like a great month for rpg players. Those could last probably 2-3 months depending on playstyle and individual length.

Anyone recommend One Piece Odyssey? Picked it up for $14.99 clearance (or sale?) at 🎯 but not sure if I'll like it. Just finished the live action of the series and loved that but have not watched the cartoon nor read the manga.
It takes place extremely far In the series. Well past the time skip and getting multiple crew members. If you've seen at least up to alabasta desert then you'd be fine. Since all but 2 crew members give or take were present by then.

As nothing happens till water 7, then thriller, then time skip. One Piece is super bloated with filler only beaten by Naruto and easily on par with dbz screaming for 10 episodes. The water 7 section is especially bad as each episode had maybe 5 minutes of new content in between the opening, epilog, recap, ending and them blowing up the same building 15 times per episode. It's a shame since water 7 when watched on YouTube back in the day is excellent if super short since people cut out the filler and of course couldn't make vids longer than a few minutes back then.

Not sure I buy that given 3 rpgs seems really unlikely. That and I already own all but so6 from when they were 15$ at bestbuy. But seems like a great month for rpg players. Those could last probably 2-3 months depending on playstyle and individual length.
Bilbil-kun leaks the Essential games every month and has never been wrong as far as I know. I haven't paid attention to know if he's right about Extra games, but I'd believe him.

It seems like you wouldn't get a great value playing super long (and cheap to buy) RPGs on a subscription service.  Wouldn't you want to play through as many games as possible?

It seems like you wouldn't get a great value playing super long (and cheap to buy) RPGs on a subscription service. Wouldn't you want to play through as many games as possible?
That’s what I did back when I had PS Now/Extra. Made a spreadsheet of games in the catalog that I was interested in, cross-referenced with howlongtobeat.com and played mostly stuff under 10 hours long. Lots of indies and smaller games, which I tend to prefer these days anyway.

Although really, as long as you’re spending the same amount of time playing one long beefy rpg as you would several smaller games, you’re still mostly getting your money’s worth. But like you said, these rpgs are mostly old and cheap to buy. So is pretty much everything on PS+ Extra/Premium though.

I’ve never watched the anime or the live action but I liked it. Pretty easy though and definitely not one of the greatest turned based games but had fun with it. Wish the anime actually looked like the game then I’d watch it (maybe) too many episodes lol

I'm reading through the One Piece manga on the viz app (shameless plug, all you can eat shonen manga for $3/month).

I think the manga is the way to go and then watch "One Pace," which is the fan edit of the series and saves a ton of time. That's my plan after I finish reading (around ch.650).

Sorry to ask, but I just got a PS5 and have 2 years of the Essential plan to redeem.  If I ultimately want to upgrade to the Extra tier, what is the cheapest way for me to do this?

Sorry to ask, but I just got a PS5 and have 2 years of the Essential plan to redeem. If I ultimately want to upgrade to the Extra tier, what is the cheapest way for me to do this?
PS Plus tends to go on sale during Black Friday so that would probably be your best bet.

The less time you have remaining on your subscription, the less it will cost to upgrade. For example, if you buy12 month of PS Plus Essential, it will cost you $40 to upgrade from Essential to Extra but if you have only 1 month remaining on your subscription, it will cost you only $5 to upgrade to Extra for the remaining month.

So for you to upgrade to Extra now you will have to pay for the upgrade for 2 years of PS Plus Extra assuming you redeem the full 2 years of PS Essential.

I'm streaming some Nour: Play With Your Food if you want to see that in action.

Edit: Here's the archive. It's a very fun experimental game where you're presented with a lot of scenes where you'd make food or eat food to let you spawn in various foods, play around with the scene, and experiment with the toys and spells you have to cause some chaos and see what the game has in store for you. The trophies seem to be based around a lot of the weird stuff you can do in them, so maybe don't look at the list until you've gone through all of the scenes at least once. Well worth checking out if you're into the weird games that occasionally release like Everything a few years ago.

I don't really know much about what's going on with PS1 releases, but I noticed that some games like Legend of Dragoon have extra features like quick saves and rewinding. Are there any plans to do that with other digital PS1 games that didn't have those features?

It looks like AEW Fight Forever is 20% off for either edition.  I'm still going to hold off, but I think this is the first time it's been on sale since it released.

Noticed that the individual Shadowrun games were $5 each compared to $40 for the bundle so I snagged them.

Was a little amused to see that the PS5 versions of all 3 combined had smaller file size footprints than a single PS4 version.

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/09/13/playstation-plus-game-catalog-for-september-nier-replicant-ver-1-22474487139-13-sentinels-aegis-rim-sid-meiers-civilization-vi/

Bilbil-kun's leak was confirmed to be correct again, of course. In addition to the previously leaked games, most if not all the Star Ocean games will be added, as well as Odin Sphere and Dragon's Crown from Vanillaware. I'm interested in checking out the latest Contra game too.
Yeah, lots of Star Ocean this month. Happy to see Odin Sphere in there also.

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/09/13/playstation-plus-game-catalog-for-september-nier-replicant-ver-1-22474487139-13-sentinels-aegis-rim-sid-meiers-civilization-vi/

Bilbil-kun's leak was confirmed to be correct again, of course. In addition to the previously leaked games, most if not all the Star Ocean games will be added, as well as Odin Sphere and Dragon's Crown from Vanillaware. I'm interested in checking out the latest Contra game too.
Really appealing to the weeb/Japanese gamer market this month. I guess they assume that market will be more willing to deal with the price hike.

Also a smart move because those kinds of games are often not found on Xbox (so de facto third party "exclusives" which are far cheaper to put on their service than first party ones like Starfield).

bread's done
Back