Playstation Vita WiFi $249.99 - 3G/WiFi $299.99 - February 22, 2012 Release

[quote name='b3b0p']tempting to cancel my 3g preorder, change it wifi version. not sure what the point of the 3g is honestly. with 4g on my phones and tablets now, seems pointless and wasteful. in a few years the 3g will be worthless.[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad you brought this up. I was literally reading posts just to see if someone had mentioned it because I was about to ask for opinions. I preordered the 3G at best buy. I owe them that thanks to my trade ins and the 5/100 deal.

That said, I really can no longer see the point in having the 3g model. Truth be told I intend to use this thing while sitting on the couch mostly or on my deck. If my son wants to watch some random scooby doo episode for the 400th time, I won't have to leave the room. Instead I could sit there an play this while he watches. I had anticipated some significant benefit of the 3g model, but no longer see that as a reality. Instead it seems like the only benefit of the 3g belongs to Sony. That is, they made it easier for people to buy the overpriced minis.

[quote name='b3b0p']tempting to cancel my 3g preorder, change it wifi version. not sure what the point of the 3g is honestly. with 4g on my phones and tablets now, seems pointless and wasteful. in a few years the 3g will be worthless.[/QUOTE]

I'm only considering the 3G model if it comes with something addtional, like more internal memory or something. I don't think they mentioned if the 3G model will be any different from the WiFi model aside from, of course, 3G...unless I missed something. Any know this yet?

[quote name='heyheyhey11']Newegg is the place to go for us new Yorkers with no tax.

Anyway, anyone like to guess the price for games? Since this is 'next-gen' portable, im guessing the prices on the games will be 'next-gen' as well.

So high-end psp games were priced at 40bucks. I'm guessing their high ends games like uncharted GA will be priced at 50 bucks and titles like ridge racer will be like 40ish.

It will at least have more games that appeal to us on launch day than 3ds launch titles[/QUOTE]

Uncharted is $40 on amazon. For the first several years PSP games were priced at $50 so it looks like portable games do not sell at that price.

Eh, I was interested when they announced it at E3 but now that hype has died and I've come to my senses I won't be getting one.

At the Uncharted 3 AMC event, they showed some footage of U:GA for the Vita. It was pretty cool for a handheld, but overall the footage of U3 dwarfed it... For now only U:GA appeals to me, I'll get the Vita on day one of course :)

FYI for those interested in the 3G model I read on a gaming website that downloads are capped to 20 MB. You read it right 20 MB.

WiFi is the way to go for this device. I was planning on getting one but I think i'm going to wait to see how it sells first.

3g has higher resell value.. i mean perhaps its not necessary to own the 3g model but heck, i know people just cant control their need of having the best model out there..

like me :( and I KNOW im wont use the 3g. damn im such a retard

This device requires an expensive proprietary memory card in order to be able to do anything with it, which is also required to save some games. If it wasn't for this I would be interested but I am not falling for the memory card scam again especially since every other device on the market has built in storage. If Sony comes out with a new model with included storage I will be interested but until then I will pass.

I really don't care about the mem sticks not being included as I was going to buy one anyway but yeah, would have been nice for it to have had some internal memory like the Go.

Don't forget there will be digital versions of every game released along with retail copies. The downloadable games are cheaper.

'Course, this means you can't sell them back so you'll have to think about what you're going to buy.

[quote name='SaraAB']This device requires an expensive proprietary memory card in order to be able to do anything with it, which is also required to save some games. If it wasn't for this I would be interested but I am not falling for the memory card scam again especially since every other device on the market has built in storage. If Sony comes out with a new model with included storage I will be interested but until then I will pass.[/QUOTE]

Someone will make an adapter as they did for the PSP. I'm interested in the Vita but not at launch. I can wait for both.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Don't forget there will be digital versions of every game released along with retail copies. The downloadable games are cheaper.

'Course, this means you can't sell them back so you'll have to think about what you're going to buy.[/QUOTE]
They're only cheaper in Japan. Same price in the States as usual.

I don't get the 3G myself. More expensive, you have to pay as you go, and you can't even play online with it anyway. I guess if you don't have a smart phone to do browsing and social media on, it makes some sense, otherwise how often are you really going to want to download a mini on the road (and downloading current PSP games on the Go is already painful enough, even on wifi)

i really hope the cheapest memory card is like $20 but i can see Sony do $30-$40 for it.

whats the gb run down again:
8 gb
16 gb
32 gb
64 gb

While I'll eventually get a Vita when it's cheaper ($150 preferably but maybe $200), I see flaws that really would have made it an absolute killer handheld device.

1.) First and foremost for me is the lack of L2/R2 buttons. It's great we finally got a second analog and all, but the lack of L2/R2 from the start seriously limits the ability to have straight ports of PS2 games, similar to what the PSP did with PS1 games. And yeah I'm sure that rear touchpad can supplement somewhat for the lack of those buttons, but it certainly won't be the same, and I doubt the bulk of old games are going be reconfigured for that touchpad. So that's a big screw-up off the bat. Just look at the PS2 library, it would have been truly amazing to play many of those games on a handheld

2.) No Android/dated looking GUI. I think Sony's new interface looks really childish. I thought the XMB was a very sexy and refined looking GUI, but the VIta's just looks rather clunky. It's designed for touchscreen use so do understand why it has big circular icons, but I still would have liked something more polished looking.

While Android isn't a "must it would have been truly amazing if it had support for the OS, even as a dual-boot option. That would open the door to Vita as an ultimate portable device, which not only functions as a major gaming handheld, but the capabilities of a tablet too. Sony will have some apps, but surely nothing on the scale of what you can get on Android.

3.) No internal memory. Not much needs to be said here, Sony should have had a system where it could do some saving on the system, or at the very least make sure each one comes with a 2GB memory card. A lot of people aren't going to be aware when they buy the Vita that they have to spend additional money for storage.

4.) No HDMI out. Does the Vita have any sort of AV Out? It would have been great to have the option of playing games on a bigger screen. The Vita is putting out visuals that we only used to see on home consoles so it would be great to be able to use it as a small home console (with compatible games of course)

5.) No removable battery. Pretty self-explanatory. I would have preferred if they designed the battery to be replaceable. What happens when the battery goes completely dead in a few years? Will Sony have a battery replacement service? I'm sure they'll be some user mods but this could have been solved with a replaceable battery. Plus the Vita's battery life isn't that great, so supposing you're on vacation or whatever it would be great just to swap out batteries.

None of these are deal breakers per se, but I feel if they were present they would significantly increase the appeal of the device, for me anyway.

I NEVER buy consoles at launch. But this one? I'm considering. Then again with this system coming out all the PSP games I've been wanting have taken drastic cuts so I've built up a big backlog of those games. Maybe I'll wait...

[quote name='ssjmichael']While I'll eventually get a Vita when it's cheaper ($150 preferably but maybe $200), I see flaws that really would have made it an absolute killer handheld device.

1.) First and foremost for me is the lack of L2/R2 buttons. It's great we finally got a second analog and all, but the lack of L2/R2 from the start seriously limits the ability to have straight ports of PS2 games, similar to what the PSP did with PS1 games. And yeah I'm sure that rear touchpad can supplement somewhat for the lack of those buttons, but it certainly won't be the same, and I doubt the bulk of old games are going be reconfigured for that touchpad. So that's a big screw-up off the bat. Just look at the PS2 library, it would have been truly amazing to play many of those games on a handheld

2.) No Android/dated looking GUI. I think Sony's new interface looks really childish. I thought the XMB was a very sexy and refined looking GUI, but the VIta's just looks rather clunky. It's designed for touchscreen use so do understand why it has big circular icons, but I still would have liked something more polished looking.

While Android isn't a "must it would have been truly amazing if it had support for the OS, even as a dual-boot option. That would open the door to Vita as an ultimate portable device, which not only functions as a major gaming handheld, but the capabilities of a tablet too. Sony will have some apps, but surely nothing on the scale of what you can get on Android.

3.) No internal memory. Not much needs to be said here, Sony should have had a system where it could do some saving on the system, or at the very least make sure each one comes with a 2GB memory card. A lot of people aren't going to be aware when they buy the Vita that they have to spend additional money for storage.

4.) No HDMI out. Does the Vita have any sort of AV Out? It would have been great to have the option of playing games on a bigger screen. The Vita is putting out visuals that we only used to see on home consoles so it would be great to be able to use it as a small home console (with compatible games of course)

5.) No removable battery. Pretty self-explanatory. I would have preferred if they designed the battery to be replaceable. What happens when the battery goes completely dead in a few years? Will Sony have a battery replacement service? I'm sure they'll be some user mods but this could have been solved with a replaceable battery. Plus the Vita's battery life isn't that great, so supposing you're on vacation or whatever it would be great just to swap out batteries.

None of these are deal breakers per se, but I feel if they were present they would significantly increase the appeal of the device, for me anyway.[/QUOTE]

The deal breaker for me is the memory card not being included. The games are also big, I can only fit 2 games on a 4GB memory stick with my original PSP and the Vita games will likely be even larger. In order to get any use out of this device if you want to download stuff, you will have to shell out for a huge memory stick.

I am also not too hot on this gen of portable consoles because mobile is so huge right now, especially in my area. Its to the point where no one even cares about the 3DS or Vita the only thing they care about is phones and iPods (unless you are maybe 6 years old and don't have a cell phone). No one wants to as much even look at a Nintendo DS now here. This is not good because Sony won't be able to reel in the teens this time because almost every single teen has a smartphone here and does not see the need for other devices when they have everything all in one. This is not good for future support of the system. I realize this is an age old argument and is opening up another can of worms here but its all true based on what I see with kids and teens in my area. Because of this I need to see where this gen goes before I invest in yet another portable system.

[quote name='caltab']I don't know how long its been available, but release day delivery is now an option, so I just changed my shipping.[/QUOTE] Nice, thanks for the update.

[quote name='SaraAB']The deal breaker for me is the memory card not being included. The games are also big, I can only fit 2 games on a 4GB memory stick with my original PSP and the Vita games will likely be even larger. In order to get any use out of this device if you want to download stuff, you will have to shell out for a huge memory stick.

I am also not too hot on this gen of portable consoles because mobile is so huge right now, especially in my area. Its to the point where no one even cares about the 3DS or Vita the only thing they care about is phones and iPods (unless you are maybe 6 years old and don't have a cell phone). No one wants to as much even look at a Nintendo DS now here. This is not good because Sony won't be able to reel in the teens this time because almost every single teen has a smartphone here and does not see the need for other devices when they have everything all in one. This is not good for future support of the system. I realize this is an age old argument and is opening up another can of worms here but its all true based on what I see with kids and teens in my area. Because of this I need to see where this gen goes before I invest in yet another portable system.[/QUOTE]

I am in the same device. In this day and age I expect any gaming device I buy to have AT LEAST 20GB and realistically more like 50. I can forgive it if they dont plan on the device having a viable store for DLC and downloaded games....but if they expect that a major part of their business model is downloadable games(as it is with the Vita)its just unacceptable to not have decent store built in from day 1.

Part of the reason I was initially so hot on the Vita was downloadable games. Digital games take up a large part of my fav games and they also tend to be among the best to play on the go. Add to it that they have deeper sales much faster and the abilty to keep a ton of games on one device and im sold. To ask me to pay a ton of extra money for it just defeats the purpose of having a $250 device that is supposed to be big on digital gaming.

Why is everyone scrambling for memory cards again? I thought the whole idea behind this was the saves/dlc etc would be saveable on the game carts themselves?

I almost distinctly remember them saying the games will allow you to use storage on them, or on a separately purchased memory card?

[quote name='Minions']Why is everyone scrambling for memory cards again? I thought the whole idea behind this was the saves/dlc etc would be saveable on the game carts themselves?

I almost distinctly remember them saying the games will allow you to use storage on them, or on a separately purchased memory card?[/QUOTE]

I heard that saves will be on the games themselves and the memory cards are if you wanted to Download games from PSN.

Not sure how true that really is.

[quote name='SaraAB']This device requires an expensive proprietary memory card in order to be able to do anything with it, which is also required to save some games. If it wasn't for this I would be interested but I am not falling for the memory card scam again especially since every other device on the market has built in storage. If Sony comes out with a new model with included storage I will be interested but until then I will pass.[/QUOTE]

I think its funny how quickly people forgot the PSP launch. Mem sticks were small and overpriced at first but like every other type of memory out there it gets bigger and drops in price.

Built in 16GB like the psp go would be nice, but I don't think it would be enough for people in the long run. And it would of course increase the price of the device. Even if they threw in a Memory card they would raise the price by $50 and only give you a crappy 4 or 8 gig stick which would be useless. The route they are going is the best way to keep the price of the system down and give customers freedom of choice on what to get for their needs. If you are buying all your games physical and not downloading anything then you will be looking for the cheapest card. If you are going all DD and have tons of PSP stuff to download then you will want the biggest memory available.

And people need to distinguish the difference between portable SSD or flash storage and your cheaper HDD for game consoles. Theres a reason your ipod costs $250 and only has 8 gigs of storage. The people crying foul on storage and mem cards are fewer then those crying foul if it launched with 16gb storage and for $300 or more.

[quote name='mr mellow']Any word on what the Launch games will be for the Vita?[/QUOTE]http://www.gamingangels.com/2011/09/sony-announces-ps-vita-release-date-and-launch-titles-for-japan/

There will be 26 titles available for the Japanese launch. Most of them are very, very Japanese (so we won’t see a peep of them on these shores), but there are a few familiar faces, like Disgaea 3: Return, Ridge Racer, Hot Shots Golf 6 and Uncharted: Golden Abyss. Sony called this the “largest launch lineup ever,” but we’ll see how much of it holds until December.
Over 100 titles are currently in development for Vita. Some of these…are things people have wanted to see. A Zone of the Enders HD collection. Metal Gear‘s HD remasters. Yeah, they’re coming out for PS3, but also on PS Vita. (And they use “transfarring,” so you can stop playing on your PS3 and pick back up on your Vita.)
There is at least one game that I didn’t know I wanted until it was announced: Final Fantasy X‘s 10th anniversary rerelease in HD for PS3 and PS Vita. I miss Blitzball, okay? Square Enix also announced Army Corps of Hell, meaning that they’re on a streak of very interesting game names.
There will be 500 or 600 PSP games up for download on PSN. Sony is also working on finding some way to make sure UMD owners get to download the games they had previously. That would be nice

[quote name='SGH360']i was debating to get this or the ps3 glad i went for the ps3, now if vita had some games worth noting and ps3 trophies i would consider this[/QUOTE]^^^^

And the games will cost $40

[quote name='mr mellow']Any word on what the Launch games will be for the Vita?[/QUOTE]I believe there's only been 2 games officially confirmed for the PS Vita's US launch so far. The first being Uncharted: Golden Abyss and the second being Army Corps of Hell.

I'd expect LBP and ModNation to be launch titles as well.

[quote name='ssjmichael']PS Vita flaws[/QUOTE]

Nearly every conceivable problem you have with the PS Vita would either raise it's initial price or is fixable/more manageable further down the line. The only one of your point's that I wholeheartedly agree with is the lack of internal memory.

And it's more than obvious why Android wasn't included I think. This is a gaming handheld, plain and simple. Not to mention Sony already has a PS/Android device, the Xperia Play. Then there's Sony's own tablets which use the Android OS and include Playstation Suite. Of course they're not going to risk cutting into their own market share.

[quote name='jello44']I heard that saves will be on the games themselves and the memory cards are if you wanted to Download games from PSN.

Not sure how true that really is.[/QUOTE]

I heard that some games will have saves on the memory card that the game comes on but other games will require the use of an external memory card to save the game which must be purchased separately from the system. I may be wrong though. If you are going to spend $250 on something it seems very stupid to not buy a memory card that allows you to actually use it for what it is intended for.

Also an 8GB iPod touch is only $199 and a 32GB iPod touch is $299, that is cheaper than a PS Vita and a 32GB memory stick by quite a lot. Glad I chose the iPod.

I would gladly pay more for the device to have built in storage, it would also be much easier to sell the device to people if they knew they could start using it right out of the box without any additional purchases.

[quote name='caltab']I don't know how long its been available, but release day delivery is now an option, so I just changed my shipping.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info! Love being a Prime member, free release day shipping for me! Only a dollar but still!

I've had one of these pre-order for since Amazon listed them. Not sure if I'll keep the pre-order though since I'll probably want to get one early in the day instead of waiting until the late evening when UPS usually delivers.

Hopefully Lumines will be a launch title. I'm not expecting it though since it was only recently announced. I'll be ok with Uncharted, LBP, Ridge Racer and Hot Shots Golf.

[quote name='Minions']Why is everyone scrambling for memory cards again? I thought the whole idea behind this was the saves/dlc etc would be saveable on the game carts themselves?

I almost distinctly remember them saying the games will allow you to use storage on them, or on a separately purchased memory card?[/QUOTE]

Downloadable games. I know I'm looking to have an all digital library instead of game cards.

[quote name='Apathetic-Irony']Off-Topic: Did you just get banned from NeoGAF?[/QUOTE]

I did a few weeks ago, but its a temporary ban. Was for a fat joke that I didn't realize was that bad.

[quote name='dallow']?
Why don't you just leave the system plugged in? Same thing, minus the extra plastic.[/QUOTE]
You know, it's odd but just because of wires basically. As crazy as it sounds, the charging cradle allows me better cable management since I can put the cradle on my desk and then keep the wires behind my desk on my surge protector. If I just had the standard cable, then it would be a pain in the ass because that cable would always be dropping under my desk and then I would need to waste time picking it up.

It's like how Sony has those chargers for the move. Better cable management.

I mean besides that little thing, I guess since I will have to spend over $300 to get started with the Vita, I am going to wait considering I just spent $700 on my new PC this year, a $250 3DS this year, and a $300 PS3 last year. In one 365 day period I have spent over $1250 just on gaming equipment (although that PC was also for other things). My wallet need a break from gaming :lol:. I did not know those memory cards were so expensive.

bread's done
Back