Pokemon 3DS XLs announced for North America

realbigexplosion

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Didn't see this posted, so here goes.

Two Pokemon 3DS XLs announced for North America.  They come out September 27.  There's a red and a blue one (though they both have the same design).  Retails for $199.99.

Looks like the game isn't bundled with the systems.  Not sure how limited these will be, but the Pikachu XLs sold out pretty fast.

Preorder at Gamestop - Red

Preorder at Gamestop - Blue

Preorder at Best Buy - Red

Preorder at Best Buy - Blue

Newegg and Target have pages up, but it doesn't look like they're taking preorders right now.  Newegg, at least, was taking preorders at one point.

Newegg - Red

Newegg - Blue

Target - Red

Target - Blue

Source: Kotaku

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to go cancel my red system at Gamestop and get a blue one instead and they have plenty left. Somewhat surprised...
I don't think they know how much they will actually get. They just keep taking preorders until it's removed from the system. There are actually some who won't get it even if they preorder.

I still need to decide if I want X or Y! X seems to have the cooler legendary, but 'pokemon experts' seem to agree that the Y legendary is more useful/stronger.

I feel like the Red one might be rarer, since we are the only regions to get it. Japan got the same blue design.
both would still end up being rare, because the US rarely gets limited edition of consoles from nintendo or sony, other than limited edition consoles from xbox 360 /microsofct

The Pokemon DS Lites have yet to really take off in price, they were released over 6 years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DS-Limited-Edition-Pokemon-Pack/dp/B001CD3KSI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378921181&sr=8-2&keywords=palkia+ds+lite

The Red is probably going to be rarer because its only getting released in the States. But I would not bank on these becoming rare, I could be wrong though. The Pikachu one is clearly rare though and by the time the next generation of Pokemon come out in 3 years, im sure you could pull in a ton of cash.

I don't think they know how much they will actually get. They just keep taking preorders until it's removed from the system. There are actually some who won't get it even if they preorder.
I heard that there was one that was no longer being accepted as a pre-order at GameStop but it got opened again in the same day, I think. I ordered mine on the first open day and it's at a store near where I live, so I think I'll get one.

The Pokemon DS Lites have yet to really take off in price, they were released over 6 years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DS-Limited-Edition-Pokemon-Pack/dp/B001CD3KSI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378921181&sr=8-2&keywords=palkia+ds+lite

The Red is probably going to be rarer because its only getting released in the States. But I would not bank on these becoming rare, I could be wrong though. The Pikachu one is clearly rare though and by the time the next generation of Pokemon come out in 3 years, im sure you could pull in a ton of cash.
You can buy shell copies for a lot less and change them.

I still get the feeling this thing might end up being rare, I still remember the same things being said about the poptart (AKA Animal Crossing's XL).

Either way I think it looks cool
this will be like the zelda 3ds console.. the market will be flooded for a few months but after that the price will skyrocket.

Toys R Us also has these up for Pre Order online. I am not so sure these will be tough to get at first. Nintendo usually does a once and done with the limited consoles so I would expect that once that first shipment sells out its gone for good. 

I'd also venture to say that when X&Y release on the 12th a lot of kids and parents who had no idea this thing was out will see it and possibly push more sales on the spot or in advance of the holiday season (thats when demand will pick up).

Here are those links to TRU btw...

Red: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24590306 

Blue: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24590296

I just checked.  Even though it shows you can preorder, once you get to the shipping page, it grays out your local stores, at least in my area.  So I guess I'll have to attempt to drop by BB at opening to see if they extras.  Oh well, my back up is at GS as I preordered day one when the red became available.

Quick edit: it's available for shipping, just not store pickup.

I just checked. Even though it shows you can preorder, once you get to the shipping page, it grays out your local stores, at least in my area. So I guess I'll have to attempt to drop by BB at opening to see if they extras. Oh well, my back up is at GS as I preordered day one when the red became available.

Quick edit: it's available for shipping, just not store pickup.
Of course I just cancelled my order an hour ago. I can still order the blue for pick up but not the red from BB. (I think gamestop.com still has them though).

The Animal Crossing and Pikachu 3DS XL are both going for over $300 on eBay, but I think those were more unique. These just look like standard color 3DS XL with a plain black decal on it. I regret not buying the Pikachu version and hope they come out with more limited edition systems here in the US so I can buy one that I'm actually interested in. These new Pokemon just don't interest me.
i've sold my pikachu ones for $450+

Toys R Us also has these up for Pre Order online. I am not so sure these will be tough to get at first. Nintendo usually does a once and done with the limited consoles so I would expect that once that first shipment sells out its gone for good.

I'd also venture to say that when X&Y release on the 12th a lot of kids and parents who had no idea this thing was out will see it and possibly push more sales on the spot or in advance of the holiday season (thats when demand will pick up).

Here are those links to TRU btw...

Red: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24590306

Blue: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24590296
$8 shipping sort of lame

I tried to switch my Gamestop pre order to Best Buy the other day. Didn't work. The manager told me that it might be too late to pre order. Maybe I'll try tomorrow.

:censored: I sat on this too long and didn't get the red at Best Buy. What is the likelihood that they'll have them at the store come Friday morning?

:censored: I sat on this too long and didn't get the red at Best Buy. What is the likelihood that they'll have them at the store come Friday morning?
Well someone posted a picture on reddit of the units they received at their store (didn't say what store) and it looked like they had around 16 or so....so I'm guessing you'll be able to go pick up a red one from just about anywhere as long as you don't wait too long.

Fry's has 3DS XL's for 179.99......wonder if these will be part of it on friday, because if they are, will price match come friday at BBY :D

Fry's has 3DS XL's for 179.99......wonder if these will be part of it on friday, because if they are, will price match come friday at BBY :D
Same though I think I'll just try to use the low price guarantee. Saving about 30 bucks isn't bad. Though right now the site states the pokemon 3ds xl are still $200.

Well someone posted a picture on reddit of the units they received at their store (didn't say what store) and it looked like they had around 16 or so....so I'm guessing you'll be able to go pick up a red one from just about anywhere as long as you don't wait too long.
Sweeeeet! Thanks for the heads up. I'll try my luck come Friday. :)

Was at my local target and I saw them in the display case. Asked the pretty girl for a red but it rang up a no go until september 27.

They had 4 reds and 8 blue systems.

My target had 3r and 3b in the display case---I didn't try buying any as I assumed they were street dated. They did look nice though.

OT questions. What would be the best way to get a Fry's PM if you live far away from a Fry's (500+ miles).

Would it be best to order over the phone and PM then or try to PM in-store?

My target had 3r and 3b in the display case---I didn't try buying any as I assumed they were street dated. They did look nice though.

OT questions. What would be the best way to get a Fry's PM if you live far away from a Fry's (500+ miles).

Would it be best to order over the phone and PM then or try to PM in-store?
Is Fry's going to have this on sale? PM at Best Buy?

Is Fry's going to have this on sale? PM at Best Buy?

I don't know---people are speculating that they might, at least for a few hours as they are currently selling all 3DS XL systems for $179.99 but there sales week starts friday so the prices might go up before then.

And yes... I should have specified. Best way to PM fry's at BB when you don't have a Fry's anywhere near you.

I don't know---people are speculating that they might, at least for a few hours as they are currently selling all 3DS XL systems for $179.99 but there sales week starts friday so the prices might go up before then.

And yes... I should have specified. Best way to PM fry's at BB when you don't have a Fry's anywhere near you.
You can do it either way. BB is suppose to PM frys.com I believe.

Never ran into that. Guess it would be ymmv.

Whenever I try and pm some random store or website, I do it at the front registers on my phone. It doesn't always display if things are instock or other little things like "instore only"

Never ran into that. Guess it would be ymmv.

Whenever I try and pm some random store or website, I do it at the front registers on my phone. It doesn't always display if things are instock or other little things like "instore only"
Yea. If it's in store only it would definitely be better to attempt in store and just flash your phone.

I was at my local Gamestop and asked how many they were getting. I was told they were probably only getting the number preordered and no extra. I have one preordered already and am still on the fence whether or not I am going to open it. I'll probably wait a couple weeks and see how rare they are. I will be kicking myself if I open this thing and they come out with a better special edition XL in the next few months. It's not a bad special edition, but I feel like Nintendo can do better.

I was at my local Gamestop and asked how many they were getting. I was told they were probably only getting the number preordered and no extra. I have one preordered already and am still on the fence whether or not I am going to open it. I'll probably wait a couple weeks and see how rare they are. I will be kicking myself if I open this thing and they come out with a better special edition XL in the next few months. It's not a bad special edition, but I feel like Nintendo can do better.
Yeah, would be nice if they were coming out at the same time as the game since we would probably know what was going to be out there on BF within the return window.

Yeah, would be nice if they were coming out at the same time as the game since we would probably know what was going to be out there on BF within the return window.

Walmart has the X and Y consoles bundles with the games (your choice of console + either game) for $229.99 which is a savings of $10.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pokemon-3DS-XL-Pokemon-X-Y-Handheld-Blue-or-Red-with-Game/29330000

Not sure if they will ship the console this week and the game when it releases or both when the game releases since it is going to release last----but it might be indicitive that they expect more stock in October otherwise they are going to be holding consoles to fulfill the bundle.

I meant more if we were going to get a different LE system. Like the Zelda systems that only ever show up on BF.
That's what I was thinking. A Link Between Worlds releases on 11/22, so if there is a special edition console, we might not know until it is too late to return. I guess I'll just keep my console sealed at least until the return window is closed. We have until late October to figure it out. Not opening it will be a challenge, but I think I can handle it.

Walmart has the X and Y consoles bundles with the games (your choice of console + either game) for $229.99 which is a savings of $10.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pokemon-3DS-XL-Pokemon-X-Y-Handheld-Blue-or-Red-with-Game/29330000

Not sure if they will ship the console this week and the game when it releases or both when the game releases since it is going to release last----but it might be indicitive that they expect more stock in October otherwise they are going to be holding consoles to fulfill the bundle.
tmjLHRs.png

Not really saving anything after shipping cost...

bread's done
Back