Pokemon Black and White with $10 Credit at Amazon

hebrewhammer587

CAGiversary!
For those of you that are still on the fence on buying the new Pokemon game, Amazon is offering a 5 10 dollar credit. While it's not much, I haven't seen many offers on this game yet. Excuse me if this has already been posted, but if it has I think it is important to be on the front page.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1287791662&pf_rd_i=468642

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1287791662&pf_rd_i=468642

Edit: Some people have received $15 in credit, YMMV on that however, I know theres people out there willing to argue with amazon customer service for $5 so I wanted to make sure people knew.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Both B/W came today for me, yay for USPS actually delivering ahead of time for once instead of refusing to deliver and delaying my packages every time.[/QUOTE]

I know I couldn't believe it either.

My copies of Black and White finally arrived. 7:30 PM. And after opening the package, I realized the DS is currently at my brother's house. *sad*

[quote name='RenoVatio']You guys that got prime shipping, are you paying for it? or is there some kind of deal or exploit to keep getting it for free?

It's hard to believe any self respecting CAG would pay $79 for that.[/QUOTE]free 1 year for college students. when it expires i'm not paying for it. :D

[quote name='RenoVatio']You guys that got prime shipping, are you paying for it? or is there some kind of deal or exploit to keep getting it for free?

It's hard to believe any self respecting CAG would pay $79 for that.[/QUOTE]

Amazon Prime, for me, is a steal

Reasoning:
Average shipping is $5 (totally unscientific), and as long as I make 16+ purchases off Amazon, then it already paid for itself. Because of Amazon Prime, I almost always buy from Amazon. Free 2-day shipping on most things, which makes it ALMOST as quick as going to the store and getting it right away. Generally lower price and no tax (for me, for now) seals the deal.

What about Super Saver Shipping you ask? I have to spend $25+ to get it. If I'm always buying brand new releases, then it's fine. However, I don't. I tend to buy things that cost less than $25. One of the better deals I've gotten is Dirt 2 (360) for $15. Without Prime, I would have had to fill my shopping cart with something that's $10 that I may or may not have wanted. If I'm lucky, there will be something I wanted that I've saved for such an occasion or found instantly. If I'm not, then I might miss out on getting a game I wanted at a great price.

Furthermore, Black Friday deals are so much easier with Amazon Prime. I'm able to make as many orders as I like, or make Amazon ship products as they get them. I'm able to enjoy the low prices that Black Friday affords, without worrying whether or not my gifts will arrive in time.

Just ask yourself how many "extra" items you've bought to just to get free shipping, and how many deals you've had to pass up because the cost of shipping made it not such a good deal. Because of Prime, I check CAG a few times a day to see if there are new deals. If anything, it's made me a better CAG :)

[quote name='Muitabui']how did you get 15$?
was it 5$ from before stacked with the current 10$?[/QUOTE]

Ya like the others said, when I preordered it a month ago, it gave me a $5 credit, but when when they bumped it up to $10, they just added it without taking away the original $5 credit. I was suprised it worked out that way.

[quote name='darkchild81']Ya like the others said, when I preordered it a month ago, it gave me a $5 credit, but when when they bumped it up to $10, they just added it without taking away the original $5 credit. I was suprised it worked out that way.[/QUOTE]

I preordered both Black and White in separate orders on the same day. I got the extra $5 on the Black order but not on the White. Very strange but I'm not going to complain since when I placed the order I was only expecting $10 credit total for both and I ended up getting $25. So I ended up paying ~$22.50 vs $34.99 plus tax had I bought it locally. Definitely worth waiting a couple of extra days to get the games.

Anyone play it yet? I'm having a tough time choosing between this Black/White or HeartGold/SoulSilver. The original Gold/Silver were my favorite games in the series. Black/White has the new factor of course, but from what I've seen of it so far the Pokemon themselves look like garbage. HeartGold/SoulSilver have the nostalgia factor.

I enjoyed HG/SS to a great extent. And still put on the pokewalker most days when I go out. One thing I loved about HG/SS is that it allowed you to get legends from all of the generations that were out at the time. And I think it only had one exclusive legend, either kyogre or groudon, and when you got both, you could capture a 3rd one in game.

Going with HG/SS isn't a bad choice, but you'll find yourself wanting to move everything to the newest generation when you're done.

[quote name='fishphoenix']Anyone play it yet? I'm having a tough time choosing between this Black/White or HeartGold/SoulSilver. The original Gold/Silver were my favorite games in the series. Black/White has the new factor of course, but from what I've seen of it so far the Pokemon themselves look like garbage. HeartGold/SoulSilver have the nostalgia factor.[/QUOTE]
I have 15 hours on it already and its pretty much the same format as every other pokemon game just new pokemon.

Fun though.

"Little" changes like EXP scaling with PKMN level and TMs being reusable make B/W 10x better imo. Ofc, to get the most out of the new features you might want to have the other versions to transfer stuff over >.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']"Little" changes like EXP scaling with PKMN level and TMs being reusable make B/W 10x better imo. Ofc, to get the most out of the new features you might want to have the other versions to transfer stuff over >.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll pick up either HG or SS for now and get Black/White sometime in the future. I had no idea you could get Generation 3 Pokemon in HG/SS, and apparently you can choose one of the starters too when you beat the game :D; that's much more incentive for me now because I completely skipped over Generation 3.

"Thank you for purchasing "Pokemon - White/Black Version" from Amazon.com. It is our pleasure to let you know that you have earned a $10 credit toward the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com until 3/31/2012 (certain exclusions apply, including Kindle books, MP3s, and video rentals and downloads). To redeem your reward, simply visit http://www.amazon.com, add a qualifying item shipped and sold by Amazon.com to your shopping cart, and the discount will be automatically applied."

[quote name='slidecage']in the past it was easy to say 79 bucks isnt a bad deal, but now with them giving time to

AMAZON MOM 3 months
AMAZON student 1 year +
ect ect ect

its getting harder and harder to pay for a service that they love giving to other people for free.

the streaming movies and Tv shows makes the deal a little better but love to see them do

Prime alone for 59 or prime + streaming for 79 but doubt they will ever drop the price

too bad if you didnt spend xxxx a month you got a discount on prime as well[/QUOTE]

I'll pay for your prime if you pay for my tuition, deal?

The collector's edition guide is only $12 and some change. With the 10$ credit it's $2 and some change. It's a damn fine guide too. That's how mine went at least.

[quote name='fishphoenix']Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll pick up either HG or SS for now and get Black/White sometime in the future. I had no idea you could get Generation 3 Pokemon in HG/SS, and apparently you can choose one of the starters too when you beat the game :D; that's much more incentive for me now because I completely skipped over Generation 3.[/QUOTE]

I've been wanting to try one out ever since I worked at Babbages when red/blue came out lol. This one looks awesome but not sure it's noob friendly. Plus I wanna catch Snorlax.

Not to derail the thread but lemme know if u find Gold/Silver cheap anywhere...seems to have held it's value pretty well.

[quote name='Zaku77']The collector's edition guide is only $12 and some change. With the 10$ credit it's $2 and some change. It's a damn fine guide too. That's how mine went at least.[/QUOTE]

I see the $12 guide as the regular guide and the collector's edition guide as 16.66. Im thinking about using my credit on that thou, hopefully it may fall into my goldbox tomorrow or so. =X

[quote name='cecilvaliant']I see the $12 guide as the regular guide and the collector's edition guide as 16.66. Im thinking about using my credit on that thou, hopefully it may fall into my goldbox tomorrow or so. =X[/QUOTE]

Go on live chat and ask a rep to apply the "Best Deal" 5% off to the guide. Since you would have gotten 5% off of the game for buying both the game and guide together.

My CE guide was just delivered today and came out to 4.44 after the 10dollar credit.

...on a side note, I just noticed that my game came in an ECO case.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Go on live chat and ask a rep to apply the "Best Deal" 5% off to the guide. Since you would have gotten 5% off of the game for buying both the game and guide together.

My CE guide was just delivered today and came out to 4.44 after the 10dollar credit.

...on a side note, I just noticed that my game came in an ECO case.[/QUOTE]

So, can you enlighten us what the CE guide includes? Postgame walkthrough? National 'dex? Is it just Volume 1 with a fancy cover?

no post game walkthrough, only has the unova pokedex. Probably going to pass on it, it does look cool though.

Only got the $10 credit, not the $5 even though I had it pre-ordered before they even offered any credits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it appears to be volume 1 with a different cover. There was even an advertisement for the 2nd Volume inside of it. I'm still glad I picked it up for the price, but I don't see myself buying the 2nd volume, CE or Standard

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Go on live chat and ask a rep to apply the "Best Deal" 5% off to the guide. Since you would have gotten 5% off of the game for buying both the game and guide together.

...on a side note, I just noticed that my game came in an ECO case.[/QUOTE]

So I just did that, but seems they only took 5% off the guide which is only like 83 cents off. oh wells, a discount is a discount, lol.

[quote name='cecilvaliant']So I just did that, but seems they only took 5% off the guide which is only like 83 cents off. oh wells, a discount is a discount, lol.[/QUOTE]

That's probably what the goldbox deal was supposed to be, but that's awful. The Best Deal says you get 5% off of the game, x.x that should have been applied. Sorry they gave you something different.

Isn't the CE guide volume 1 and 2? Because it also has teh Unova Pokedex in the back. It's really nice hardcover though!

The Pokedex included in both are the same, but Vol. 2 has extra "strategy and tips," a 1-2 hundred pages of it. I don't know though...

^ No, as has been repeated, Vol 1 CE only has Walkthrough to Elite 4 + Unova Dex. Vol. 2 should be National Dex + post-game stuff

i feel the CE is worth $16 i paid
i love the pokedex, the guide part is okay, the cool cover is on my wall already and i may frame the others

i hope the vol 2 has the tips Prinny is talking about cause im into the metagame and all that

for $12.50 ill be getting it for sure. April is so long though

I'm sure someone has already mentioned this, but I figured I'd do a quick chime-in for those curious. The $10 promotion is very much still in effect, according to both an Amazon CS rep and having just placed an order myself.

Considering that Pokemon games stay at normal MSRP for quite some time (from my observations anyway) now seems as good a time as any to buy it if you missed out on the pre-order but still want to save monies.

Any thoughts on this game for a casual gamer in her early 20's who has never played Pokemon before and recently got a DSi? She mostly likes platformers and has never really been interested in RPGs so I wonder whether she would like this.

I haven't played Pokemon since Red/Blue so my memory is really foggy on what it was like and what it would be like for someone now.

I was wondering if vol. 2 would really will have the national pokedex because on the ad flyer and cover of the book it only says unova pokedex and guide...

Been playing black (and white, just a little bit) since Monday, and I'm loving it!

I have one question for anyone who knows though. My brother also wants to get the games, but needs me to buy them for him. The $10 credit says one per household, so what do I have to do to get around that? Get it delivered to a different address? Use a different account/payment info? Thanks.

[quote name='adriley313']i feel the CE is worth $16 i paid
i love the pokedex, the guide part is okay, the cool cover is on my wall already and i may frame the others

i hope the vol 2 has the tips Prinny is talking about cause im into the metagame and all that

for $12.50 ill be getting it for sure. April is so long though[/QUOTE]
:lol: The book will not give you ANY tips at all into the metagame. I don't even remember if the last book mentioned IVs, EVs, natures, different ways of breeding and the like. If they did, it probably wasn't a very good job because I don't remember it at all. If you're into the metagame, you probably want to check out smogon.com, but be warned, they seem really hardcore.

[quote name='Woolagaroo']Been playing black (and white, just a little bit) since Monday, and I'm loving it!

I have one question for anyone who knows though. My brother also wants to get the games, but needs me to buy them for him. The $10 credit says one per household, so what do I have to do to get around that? Get it delivered to a different address? Use a different account/payment info? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

you just have to use a different account

[quote name='bk187']Any thoughts on this game for a casual gamer in her early 20's who has never played Pokemon before and recently got a DSi? She mostly likes platformers and has never really been interested in RPGs so I wonder whether she would like this.

I haven't played Pokemon since Red/Blue so my memory is really foggy on what it was like and what it would be like for someone now.[/QUOTE]

I don't particularly feel any nostalgia for prior entries in the franchise with Black/White. PKMN design has become so obscure, they barely look like living creatures anymore. But, B/W is really easy to get into with many good, need improvements. It's not an RPG in the traditional sense, so don't let that make your decision. It's always been about collecting stuff.

If you like the idea of battling with an ice cream cone, give it a shot :p

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']If you like the idea of battling with an ice cream cone, give it a shot :p[/QUOTE]

Or a trash bag.

So basic point of the game is catch as many Pokemon as possible, collect all the different ones, and fight strategically using different types of moves. It isn't an RPG in the sense of pick attack, magic, or run. Each Pokemon attack has types with strengths and weaknesses. Also this is a good one to get in on because there is only 153 Pokemon until you can complete the game and transfer more over. You don't have to know about other Pokemon from different generations.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']I don't particularly feel any nostalgia for prior entries in the franchise with Black/White. PKMN design has become so obscure, they barely look like living creatures anymore. But, B/W is really easy to get into with many good, need improvements. It's not an RPG in the traditional sense, so don't let that make your decision. It's always been about collecting stuff.

If you like the idea of battling with an ice cream cone, give it a shot :p[/QUOTE]

They have never resembled living creatures. Well, some do, but you could say that of any generation from the first to the fifth.

[quote name='Goatbuster']They have never resembled living creatures. Well, some do, but you could say that of any generation from the first to the fifth.[/QUOTE]

Gen I was pretty much 100% animals (aside from like... Magnetite and the like). It's gotten worse and worse in each new Gen to the point where now we're battling with chandeliers, trash bags, etc... Idk about you but there's definitely a difference in the design, and it's not one I like.

[quote name='bk187']Any thoughts on this game for a casual gamer in her early 20's who has never played Pokemon before and recently got a DSi? She mostly likes platformers and has never really been interested in RPGs so I wonder whether she would like this.

I haven't played Pokemon since Red/Blue so my memory is really foggy on what it was like and what it would be like for someone now.[/QUOTE]

I can't say anything about Black/White because I haven't played them; but Pokemon designs aside its the same formula as the rest. And Pokemon is one of those games that doesn't get old, she or you would still enjoy it.

Most people I know who don't enjoy these games are ones who think they are "too cool" to play anything under a Mature rating.

One of my friends thinks Pokemon is childish yet he played Plants vs Zombies non-stop when it first came out.

Well...I caved. I realized there wouldn't be many (if any) deals on these games for quite some time. Ten bucks back is better than nothing!

I think they are just running out of animals to turn into pokemon, there are only so many animals out there and there is something like 649 pokemon now so something has to give. Not that this is a bad thing or anything, I still love the game.

These aren't based on animals! Geodude, Magnemite, Grimer, Voltorb.

I do agree though. Pokemon design has changed noticibly in this generation. I think some of it is a bit over the top, Gears, Ice cream cones (even the name is stupid, haha), Gurdurr (and he's holding a girder!), Garbodor (a trash bag), Excavalier (a jousting knight?), Chandelure (a chandelier), also Tauros with an afro?

Some of them are neat. Cofa-grigus (a coffin! wouldn't let me type it out without censoring "f a g" out of the middle of it), Reuniclus (cells like in biology class), Heatmore (fire anteater). There are so many.

What is this? Foongus & Amoonguss (like the Incubus album Fungus Amongus?

Also, why doesnt Alomomola evolve from Luvdisc?

Over all while I skimmed through this big list, I see a lot of cool new pokemon that I didn't think about before, so I would say don't let the design get you down. I'm sure they will grow on me as I play through the game.

[quote name='paulcalypse']also Tauros with an afro?[/QUOTE]
Whoa now, Tauros with an afro is the greatest addition to the games since Gen 1.

i find myself getting drawn into the same excitment/traps from the first games where you'll see something new and be like: "WOW! I MUST CATCH IT! IT MAY BE RARE!" then finding a bajillion of them :p

i'm enjoying it though :) not knowing all the caveats and which ones are strong and hwat not brings a new element of mystery and adventure to it.

bread's done
Back