Pope Decries Gay Marriage in Portugal Visit

rabbitt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Main idea:
FÁTIMA, Portugal — Pope Benedict XVI used a famous Portuguese shrine to the Virgin Mary on Thursday as a venue to denounce abortion and gay marriage, just days before Portugal is expected to join five European countries that have legalized same-sex weddings.

In a speech here to Catholic social service groups, Benedict called for initiatives aimed at protecting “the family based on the indissoluble marriage between a man and a woman, help to respond to some of today’s most insidious and dangerous threats to the common good.”

The rest:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/world/europe/14pope.html?ref=world

Got to love a pope who protects child molesters and then goes on to decry homosexuals as a main problem in the world.

No, it's because of the gays that the priests are molesting children. If they'd just stop being gay then those children would be fine. This blood is on your hands gays.

With priest molesting children, higher ups protecting the priests and the Pope denouncing birth control, I would argue that Catholicism is a greater threat to the common good than homosexuality

[quote name='FroMann']The Pope. He is a sith lord.[/QUOTE]

I've always thought of him more as a sort of Rocky and Bullwinkle villain. I thought this the first time I saw him back when he was elected.

pope-benedict.jpg

Seriously, he looks like he should be tying a damsel to the train tracks.

I've been calling him "Pope Palpatine" since he was elected, in a drunken night of fun and nonsense my friends and I dubbed "PopeWatch 2005".

[quote name='jputahraptor']Another Christian bashing thread, congratulations.[/QUOTE]

No not Christian I didn't read anyone write Methodist, Episcopalian, 7th day Adventist all Christian but no mention. Catholicism and the pope is what was mentioned

And yes for a majority of faiths out there they need to be accepting of the gay and lesbian community if they or anyone is going to preach about a forgiving loving god but you'll burn in hell if your love is of the same sex. You wanna bang some other dude or girl go for it non my business.

Man, I don't know who is advocating the idea, but I'm getting the feeling that white christian males are feeling like they're being oppressed. Is this accurate?

[quote name='The Crotch']Whoosh.[/QUOTE]

Yes I get your clever post but considering all the insults about Jesus and Christianity my statement is technically true but yes I suppose the hate is more directed towards Catholicism on these boards. I'm not offended so long as the views of these boards are not the views of the majority of the country and thankfully they are not. After all, how could gay marriage have been shot down in liberalville California?And Papist is a slur even if I don't take offense to it. I'm sure the n word will lose it's significance someday but is it classy to bring it up after the fact? You could have easily have just said that non-Catholic Christians don't obey the pope necessilariy and gotten the same message across but you did it in the classy liberal way of it's only wrong when Republicans do it.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']fuck the Pope and fuck the Catholic Church. What a fucking joke and scam.[/QUOTE]

You would sound smarter if you had subsituded Congress for Pope and Obama for the Catholic Church. At least you capitalized Catholic!

How is pointing out that how the pope and others protect priests that molest children while blaming something benign like homosexuality for the ills of the world is a bit hypocritical and counterproductive bashing Christians?

[quote name='jputahraptor']I'm not offended so long as the views of these boards are not the views of the majority of the country and thankfully they are not.[/QUOTE]

But please, continue to piss and moan about it anyways.

[quote name='jputahraptor']And Papist is a slur even if I don't take offense to it. I'm sure the n word will lose it's significance someday but is it classy to bring it up after the fact?[/QUOTE]
Want me to ask the nun that taught me in elementary school?

EDIT: Just for good measure - how's the ironing in your signature taste?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IRHari']Man, I don't know who is advocating the idea, but I'm getting the feeling that white christian males are feeling like they're being oppressed. Is this accurate?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you're oppressing me. Could you oppress me a little lower and to the right?

Christians, always the victims. Even though you have an enormous amount of influence and power in the world, you're always the victims.

[quote name='depascal22']Cuz you never know when the Romans will come back and start feeding Christians to the lions.[/QUOTE]

Fingers crossed.

[quote name='depascal22']Cuz you never know when the Romans will come back and start feeding Christians to the lions.[/QUOTE]

Oooh, can it be tomorrow?

As if anyone expected anything different from a former Hitler Youth member. One of the first things this creep did after getting power was to go on about the evils of rock n roll. What are we, still in the 50's

Catholicism, the S&M of Christianity...

[quote name='jputahraptor']You would sound smarter if you had subsituded Congress for Pope and Obama for the Catholic Church. At least you capitalized Catholic![/QUOTE]

Most of my family is Catholic and I was until I was a teenager. I think I am qualified enough to say fuck 'em. Why be more eloquent about it when there is really nothing else to say?

So much hate I can't respond to it all, it's good to see the tolerance you liberals are so well know for shine on here. The church will be here though when Nancy Pelosi needs our priests to preach at the pulpit for immigration reform, so much for seperation of church and state. Funny thing is I want more Latinos in the country, they are heavily Catholic and have more conservative values than you'd like to believe. Womp Womp.

I don't tolerate ignorance, especially when it's a willful ignorance. I also don't tolerate any organization that goes out of it's way to protect a bunch of pedophiles.

The pope is noting but the CEO of catholic corp and he's trying to do PR damage control.

Let's have a mental evaluation of jp.

[quote name='jputahraptor']Yes I get your clever post but considering all the insults about Jesus and Christianity my statement is technically true but yes I suppose the hate is more directed towards Catholicism on these boards. [/quote]

Ignoring thread topic at hand and choosing instead of hide behind infamous "hate" defense. The same thing he'd bash any minority group/leader for doing. Double standard. Chooses also to insult several people of the board within his first six words.

I'm not offended so long as the views of these boards are not the views of the majority of the country and thankfully they are not.

Claims to not be offended. So much so that you need to make a post, preface it with this, and then immediately turn around and complain, proving you are, indeed, offended. So cognitive dissonance ahoy.

After all, how could gay marriage have been shot down in liberalville California?

Use of silly name calling word. Allusion to a topic we've covered in other threads on this board many times, and already know the reasons why, and could explain if given the time and space. I find this funny since he IMMEDIATELY goes into his next sentence with an "and," as if to cut us off from responding. First instance of changing the subject (many more to come).

And Papist is a slur even if I don't take offense to it.

I'm waiting for him to compare having ideology - something one can change since it is, at its core, their opinion - against something like, say, skin color.

I'm sure the n word will lose it's significance someday but is it classy to bring it up after the fact?

Bam, bitch!

You could have easily have just said that non-Catholic Christians don't obey the pope necessilariy and gotten the same message across but you did it in the classy liberal way of it's only wrong when Republicans do it.

Suggesting that only liberals use insults, that liberals are all secular/agnostics/atheists, that Republicans are all theistic, that all Republicans/theists are fully clean from insulting people....WHILE insulting people on this board.

[quote name='jputahraptor']So much hate I can't respond to it all,[/quote]

Once again, failing to acknowledge the topic at hand.

it's good to see the tolerance you liberals are so well know for shine on here.

Crying about intolerance while being intolerant and while still refusing to talk about topic at hand.

The church will be here though when Nancy Pelosi needs our priests to preach at the pulpit for immigration reform, so much for seperation of church and state.

Generic fear-mongering prediction with a word from his "Scary Liberals" bag of tricks, in this case being Nancy Pelosi. Further suggesting that there are churches that only preach Liberal agendas, when there are several Republican themed ones praying for Obama's death, suggesting taking up arms against the government, and all manner of propagandic right-wing based messages. What's really hilarious is that these churches are operating like this NOW, versus this imaginary point in time he's suggesting with this sentence. Bringing in the separation clause is absolute icing on the cake in a fit of pure hypocrisy, especially when you consider churches get to use tax-based programs. I.e., if a church catches on fire, the fire department is called in, despite being a state run group. But let's not dally any further on jp's obvious (eighteenth?) attempt to change the subject.

He also manages to change the subject over to immigration reform (thirty fourth time? I can't keep track anymore), creating a whole new cloud of confusion, wherein he doesn't acknowledge a single shred of it from a factual level, and instead just relegates some more fancy fear-projections. Further goes on to suggest that the topic is as simple as "it needs reform" and then even says that the reform is the dangerous thing.

Really we could sit here on this one sentence for ages, carefully picking apart the mental breakdown within, but none of us have the time.

Funny thing is I want more Latinos in the country,

Uses the word "Latino" despite that he means Mexicans, because he thinks of Mexicans as a derogatory term. This isn't the case. Ask someone from Texas - like me - who knows the score. Can't tell the difference between Chicano, Latino, Hispanic, Mexican, Tejano, etc.

Potentially suggesting that he means Latinos as in people from all across South America, but I've yet to meet someone who could distinguish the different groups and was actually in favor of immigrants, since it's just a broad stroke of classification to them instead of any kind of cultural acknowledgment.

Is going to go on to suggest political alignment issues, since you can just how smug this sort of suggestion is.

they are heavily Catholic and have more conservative values than you'd like to believe.

Something we all already knew when we discussed the Prop 8 thread. The one you were probably running around in, but instead choose to call attention to it here, because why stay on topic about molestation when we can turn our heads toward some vapid victory speech you're making in lieu of looking at the actual issue at hand.

Further, using language like "than you'd like to believe," as if speaking about some kind of savage nation of undereducated people, like they are toys to the Right to be manipulated. Condescending toward a group of people who just happen to fall in line with your ideology, and even suggesting that you control them. True humanitarian empathy at work.

Womp Womp.

Ending on childish message.

And so concludes our introspective journey into the mind of someone who has nothing to say. Nothing useful, at least. Or helpful. Or true. Or any number of other adjectives.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Strell']Let's have a mental evaluation of jp.

Ignoring thread topic at hand and choosing instead of hide behind infamous "hate" defense. The same thing he'd bash any minority group/leader for doing. Double standard. Chooses also to insult several people of the board within his first six words.

Claims to not be offended. So much so that you need to make a post, preface it with this, and then immediately turn around and complain, proving you are, indeed, offended. So cognitive dissonance ahoy.

Use of silly name calling word. Allusion to a topic we've covered in other threads on this board many times, and already know the reasons why, and could explain if given the time and space. I find this funny since he IMMEDIATELY goes into his next sentence with an "and," as if to cut us off from responding.

I'm waiting for him to compare having ideology - something one can change since it is, at its core, their opinion - against something like, say, skin color.

Bam, bitch!

Suggesting that only liberals use insults, that liberals are all secular/agnostics/atheists, that Republicans are all theistic, that all Republicans/theists are fully clean from insulting people....WHILE insulting people on this board.

Once again, failing to acknowledge the topic at hand.

Crying about intolerance while being intolerant and while still refusing to talk about topic at hand.

Generic fear-mongering prediction with a word from his "Scary Liberals" bag of tricks, in this case being Nancy Pelosi. Further suggesting that there are churches that only preach Liberal agendas, when there are several Republican themed ones praying for Obama's death, suggesting taking up arms against the government, and all manner of propagandic right-wing based messages. What's really hilarious is that these churches are operating like this NOW, versus this imaginary point in time he's suggesting with this sentence.

He also manages to change the subject over to immigration reform, creating a whole new cloud of confusion, wherein he doesn't acknowledge a single shred of it from a factual level, and instead just relegates some more fancy fear-projections. Further goes on to suggest that the topic is as simple as "it needs reform" and then even says that the reform is the dangerous thing.

Really we could sit here on this one sentence for ages, carefully picking apart the mental breakdown within, but none of us have the time.

Uses the word "Latino" despite that he means Mexicans, because he thinks of Mexicans as a derogatory term. This isn't the case. Ask someone from Texas - like me - who knows the score. Can't tell the difference between Chicano, Latino, Hispanic, Mexican, Tejano, etc.

Potentially suggesting that he means Latinos as in people from all across South America, but I've yet to meet someone who could distinguish the different groups and was actually in favor of immigrants, since it's just a broad stroke of classification to them instead of any kind of cultural acknowledgment.

Something we all already knew when we discussed the Prop 8 thread. The one you were probably running around in, but instead choose to call attention to it here, because why stay on topic about molestation when we can turn our heads toward some vapid victory speech you're making in lieu of looking at the actual issue at hand.

Further, using language like "than you'd like to believe," as if speaking about some kind of savage nation of undereducated people, like they are toys to the Right to be manipulated. Condescending toward a group of people who just happen to fall in line with your ideology, and even suggesting that you control them. True humanitarian empathy at work.

Ending on childish message.

And so concludes our introspective journey into the mind of someone who has nothing to say. Nothing useful, at least. Or helpful. Or true. Or any number of other adjectives.[/QUOTE]

You have to much time on your hands, try analysing some of your own posts and see if you can find any faults with yourself. Hint Hint you have a lot!

I use all my free time to bash Christians. Well, fake deluded fruitcake hiding-behind-an-ideology-that-perverts-their-founder's-teachings hypocritic narrowminded ones, anyway.

Probably has to do with all these motes in my eye. The ones that I at least know are there instead of trying to barf out rhetoric despite my own blindness.

So, everyone: Please ignore jp. He has nothing to say and is just going to run you down a slippery slope, moving goal posts in tow, never addressing your arguments due to a red cloud of hatred his particular brand of religion allows him to have.

Further suggesting that there are churches that only preach Liberal agendas, when there are several Republican themed ones praying for Obama's death, suggesting taking up arms against the government, and all manner of propagandic right-wing based messages. What's really hilarious is that these churches are operating like this NOW, versus this imaginary point in time he's suggesting with this sentence.

Please site where this is occuring or what part of your ass you pulled this from. Show me where this occured in a Catholic church with actual proof not some left wing blogger or from now on everything you say is made up imaginary race car bed Strell bullshit. I can point to a board on CAG where people wished Rush Limbaugh to die so please by all means site your sources, you stated it as fact, not what you think or feel might possibly be happening some way in some fashion of a church somewhere but this is what Catholics do.

How did you feel about the "Dead Kennedy" jokes when Ted Kennedy died? Or was he not really catholic since he was liberal?

If I were smarter, I'd ask that you discuss the subject of this topic - the Pope covering up child molestation and deflecting its practice by priests by blaming homosexuality - because then there'd be an even exchange. Instead, I'm breaking my rule and offering up examples of what you claim I made up.

One:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIW27p4BI_g

Two:
http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_article.html?article_id=a80fb9ef697d8b6381e725e5b3da72c1

Three:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/ar..._church_in_springfield_burns/?s_campaign=8315

Here's a fun one: a church expels members for not hating gays enough AND hates on Obama, which is funny because it ties together A) the topic of this thread and B) your pathetic attempt to derail it:
http://thewhitedsepulchre.blogspot.com/2009/06/broadway-baptist-southern-baptist.html

I welcome you to point out BUT THEY AREN'T CATHOLIC, when it really doesn't matter since we're now discussing a topic YOU brought up, a topic YOU changed to, and thus it makes no sense for me to bend to every last stupid whim you can come up with since you can chance the goal posts at any second you want. These are Christian institutions asking for the death of Obama. That's highly Christian of them, even going as far as using the Bible - the same text Catholics use - to prove their hatred.

Further, you can't point to where we: A) asked for Limbaugh's death, since we were saying that if he didn't recover from his hearth attack, none of us would care, B) prayed for Limbaugh's death, since that assumes asking a higher power to divinely smote someone, nor C) compared Limbaugh - a fat drug addled divorced bag of hypocrisy radio shock jock who received socialized health care in Hawaii and yet couldn't figure out the irony there - to our president, the guy charged with running the country on a worldwide scale. I'm sorry your reading comprehension and poor religious zealotry allows you to do that. It's also funny that you hated on the deaths of various Kennedys, who were widely known as Catholic as something of a trademark. So good show there.

But even when you ask me to provide proof for this new subject YOU bring up, not two sentences later you then proceed to change it AGAIN. So why should I have to bother dealing with your bullshit?

If there were moderation in this board - and I sadly say there HAS been lately, despite being completely one sided - then we'd kick out people like you who have absolutely no interest in speaking to the subject at hand, and instead just tantrum around derailing every thread to suit your own shallow needs. We'd remove you, IATCG, Knoell, and perditiontroy, because none of you add a single thing to any discussion beyond childish pestering.

I'm done here with you. You're not going to respond in any way that shows mature, logical response. It's going to be nothing but your hate filled propogandic anti-Liberal "Christianity."

Wow, TODAY this appears. How fortuitous.
http://motherjones.com/mojo/2010/05...bama-documentary-coral-ridge-ministries-bible

You know, cuz if there was one thing Jesus was known for, it was being a hater.

Kirin, one day I'm going to gather all of you guys up - the ones who profess toward affection involving me - and we're all going to have the greatest digital orgy known to man.

Note: I do not know what a digital orgy entails, as I just made that phrase up.

I was thinking digits as fingers. Please clean the dirt from your nails first.

It will be an "on Topic" gay digital orgy that the pope can decry while Christian pastors pray for Obama's death.

[quote name='crystalklear64']itt: people going to hell.

enjoy your fiery torment for all eternity while i chill with jesus and sing songs with angels.[/QUOTE]

:(

[quote name='crystalklear64']itt: people going to hell.

enjoy your fiery torment for all eternity while i chill with jesus and sing songs with angels.[/QUOTE]
Ok, I'm Christian, but seriously? People are "persecuting" Christians here(another laughable statement) and the best you can come up with is "Jokes on you, I'll be chillin with Jesus drinking YooHoo!"?

On another note, Steven Anderson is bona-fide insane. I believe he puts his "sermons" on youtube. I stumbled across a few, my favorite being where he brings forth a series of arguments to prove that the NIV translation is satanic/evil or something like that. Something about one of the Gospels in the NIV has a disclaimer on one section that states earliest transcripts don't have that section in it. So he said if you remove those verses, the NIV version of that book has 666 verses in it, therefore it's evil. Good times.

Also, the Pope is pretty much an idiot. That's all.

bread's done
Back