Pre-order Wii Sports Resort and Wii MotionPlus at Amazon

D. Monic

CAGiversary!
Amazon just put Wii Sports Resort and Wii MotionPlus up for pre-order. Yeah, I know these aren't technically deals since they're MSRP, but I thought it was worth posting because major shortages are virtually assured at release. Pre-ordering is strongly recommended.

Wii Motion Plus comes out on June 8 for $19.99.
http://www.amazon.com/Wii-MotionPlus-Nintendo/dp/B001TOQ8NO

Wii Sports Resort comes out on July 26 for $49.99.
http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Sports-Resort-Nintendo/dp/B001COQW14/

You can also preorder these at Gamestop, but those bastards are charging $25 for WiiMotion Plus. So hey, maybe Amazon really is a deal after all.

Wii MotionPlus at GS
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=74505

Wii Sports Resort at GS
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74506

Also, IGN has confirmed that Virtua Tennis 2009 will use Wii MotionPlus. In fact, it'll be the first game released that supports it (beating Tiger 10 and EA's Grand Slam Tennis by a week or two).

You can currently pre-order Virtua Tennis 2009 at Amazon for $36.99 (MSRP is $39.99).
http://www.amazon.com/Virtua-Tennis-2009-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B001SET1KW

[quote name='guessed']1. Either you are comparing MSRP for Wii accessories to a discounted/sale price for 360 accessories, or you are comparing wireless Wii controllers to wired 360 controllers.

2. At this point in time, there are no games that require Motion Plus, and there won't be a large percentage that require it in the near future. Also, many games do not require the nunchuck.

3. What about $30 for the text messaging pad to connect to the 360 controller?

[/quote]

1. Unless there's a price mistake (or Amazon's modest 10%), Wiimotes are never on sale. 360/PS3 controllers are often easily found less than their MSRPs.

2. Though it's hard to say, I'd argue that Motion+ will be much more heavily incorporated in the future (than even the Nunchuk). And although not many games require the Nunchuk, you could also argue that many of the "better" games do.

Even more outstanding, the Wii has so many necessary attachments to its controller. For 360/PS3, you buy the controller - you can play all games. For Wii, you have the Wiimote, the sometimes required Nunchuk, the now-sometimes required Motion+ (I doubt Virtual Tennis will let you play without one), the kinda-required Classic Controller for SNES games, the sometimes-required Gamecube controller if you have GC games (I hate not being able to use a nunchuk for this).

3. You don't need the text messaging pad to play the games. And you probably can get away with only having one pad per console.

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided a long time ago to not buy anything else on the Wii because I never play it, but this might be something my wife will play... decisions...

[quote name='guessed']1Part of me wishes they went the Sony route and just released new controllers with the additional functionality[/quote]

It's debated that they will likely release newer Wii motes with MP built in. And when they do, you can count on massive Category 5 level hurricane of bitching from folks on the internet at having to buy 'new' controllers. No one will remember having to basically do the same thing for the Duel Shock 3 when it came out, it will be treated as Nintendo once again 'milking' the customers.

The bitching about the $50 price tag is inane IMHO too. Let's see, we got the Zapper with a game for 20, Wii Play for $50, Mario Kart for $50 and save for AC:CF and Wii Fit, each of these games has remained at the $50 price point, yet we typically now pay $60-70 and more for 360 and PS3 titles without a peep.

Also, 360 controllers typically need a Play and Charge combo (At least one) plus a $10 battery for each other controller and a headset (Wireless or controller wired), DS3's have a pain in the ass to replace battery you'll have to order directly from Sony for $15 plus..none of the controllers for the three home systems are a 'great' value, they've all got things that cost you more money in the long run. Bitch about one, then bitch about them all.

[quote name='WuGgaRoO']actually... for a full all out controller it would be about 80 bucks

40 for the wii remote
20 for the nunchuck
20 for the WM+

80 total...wow...think about it... for 2 "full controllers" you could have gotten an xbox 360[/QUOTE]

OMG 40 for wiimote + 20 for nunchuk + 15 for Wii Wheel .... OMG that's $75. No wonder Nintendo is doing so poorly.

Protest Mario Kart, my proletariat brethren (never mind the fact that it will probably be the highest selling game this generation... never mind that).

[quote name='Cindaddy']Gyroscopes? No. Tech has been around for quite some time. I was using gyroscopic mice 15 years ago that are similar and cost less than $100 back then. By 2007, the tech was plenty cheap. The only difference may be power consumption. It probably was a dollars decision, but not because it would have pushed up the console price. More like wanted to keep more in the pocket.[/quote] Wii Remotes actually use accelerometers on a chip. And like everything else electronic, the costs drop over time and volume so the cost would have been higher to include more components 2 years ago.

So let me get this straight, if I want a fully up-to-date Wii controller, I need to buy a Wiimote ($40) + Nunchuck ($20)+ MotionPlus ($20) = $80 for EACH complete controller. Hmm... Suddenly the Dualshock 3's MSRP doesn't seem so high anymore.

[quote name='Sixtail']Also, 360 controllers typically need a Play and Charge combo (At least one) plus a $10 battery for each other controller and a headset (Wireless or controller wired)[/quote]

What kind of arguement are you implying? What's wrong with using 2 AAs for the 360 pad, the same stuff you use in your Wiimote?! Beside the Arcade, all 360s come with headset in the box. Do you even own a 360?

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']What kind of arguement are you implying? What's wrong with using 2 AAs for the 360 pad, the same stuff you use in your Wiimote?! Beside the Arcade, all 360s come with headset in the box. Do you even own a 360?[/quote]

I own everything and i'm pointing out for the other controllers.

[quote name='SaraAB']I have 2 25$ gamestop gift cards and I will be preordering this in the coming days. I loathe shopping at Gamestop but I have giftcards so it can't be avoided. At least I am buying a new release and not a used game, so they don't make more off me than any other store does. Even if this game is bad the resell value of it will be high enough where I won't have to worry about losing money so its a no-brainer buy.[/quote]

e-rewards gift cards ?

[quote name='fshaia']e-rewards gift cards ?[/QUOTE]

Yup. Super easy to earn if your willing to go long term with the program, I get at least 2 25$ cards from it a year, usually I make the limit of 3.

[quote name='Sixtail']I own everything and i'm pointing out for the other controllers.[/QUOTE]

you're trying to justify $80 when the DS3 cost $50 (no you aren't going to need to replace the battery, lol) and the 360 controller is $40 with lame exuses. If you need the charger for the 360 batteries, then you would have to buy the same thing for the wii, which would make it almost $100 for one complete controller.

I haven't turn on my Wii in months and have little interest in Motion Plus, but I preordered anyway (Wii Sports Resort + an extra MP) because I know if I don't do it now I won't be able to change my mind later.

I hope Nintendo will eventually make a new version of the Wiimote with MotionPlus built in and some kind of rechargeable lithium battery. I already can't use the glove with my charge cradle, but now I feel like my Wiimote is turning into Voltron (even moreso than before).

Anyone notice that Amazon's price has dropped on Wii Sports Resort?

I pre-ordered at $49.99, but I see no message that it qualifies for Amazon's pre-order price guarantee. Think I should cancel and re-order?

[quote name='donj4840']No need, they will adjust it for you automagically...sometimes takes a day or so.[/QUOTE]

Not 100% true but they did automatically update my Wii Sports Resort. Yea!

I've been going back and forth with them on Lost: Season 2 BD. It dropped to $35 for a day ,a month or so back, and my $50 order still hasn't been adjusted.

I don't quite understand the rush to preorder. Sure, it's probably going to be rare for a month or two, and probably not going to drop in price for a long time (if ever), but why is everyone in a hurry to get their hands on it? There will be other discounts in the future that will apply to it (like TRU's recent B1G1 $20 off on Wii games over $30), there's plenty of demand out there for a Wiimote with M+ built in, and I don't think it's going to have amazing online or anything else you're going to miss out on by not having it right away. Maybe it's just because I've grown wary of constantly buying the latest shinies, and prefer to wait out purchases (erring on the side of taking too long than being too quick), but I don't see the motive for things like "I don't even use my Wii, but I'm going to preorder this just because it might be rare". Unless you're just planning to resell it, it seems like it can only possibly get better later (built in to controller, cheaper, etc.); and that applies to all of the other games with M+ too.

For one that already has enough Wiimotes, the allure of an all-in-one has zero appeal. From the Wii, to the DS, to Mario Kart, to Wii Fit, the past two years have shown that if you have a vague interest in owning the latest Nintendo 'gear' you hop on board early or miss out for a few months(or waste your time hunting for it).

[quote name='Corvin']For one that already has enough Wiimotes, the allure of an all-in-one has zero appeal.[/quote]

Not true at all. It might have less appeal, there might be less desire for it, but there is definitely reason for it. Hell, I'd trade or sell my Wiimotes for one with M+ in it, even if it cost more than just buying the dongle.

1- The way the M+ extends the controller is fugly. Building it into the Wii remote would look much better, and allow people to keep the Wiimote shape they've gotten used to.
2- Games that don't use it will probably ask for you to disconnect it (like they would for nunchuck or classic controller), thus requiring you to leave the dongle lying around where it could be lost. If that isn't a problem, leaving the dongle on might get in the way with some games. Built in would fix that. (M+ could be controlled by a switch if needed)
3- An M+ Wiimote could fix other problems with the controller's design, such as making a power switch for the remote (and moving the power button for the console), Wireless Nunchuk support
3b- A redesigned Wiimote could add shoulder bumpers on the right side, and 3/4 buttons to the bottom, and become able to play SNES games on VC. As in number 2, a switch could be added to put it in to classic controller mode (it could easily be the same switch-- "Normal", "Motion+", and "Classic"). The - and + buttons could be rotated up and down, respectively, to make them more comfortable start/select buttons (this also seems to be a natural positioning for most Wii games)

Even without special features, it would still be nice to have it in one unit. I might just be weird in that I like things to be all in one; be it the box set, omnibus, or however, I like getting things in one whole unit instead of a series of parts.

Thanks, jack, I'll check it out.

EDIT: Well, I thought the $17.99 was for Wii Sports Resort and Motion Plus after discounts. I'll wait...

I thought Nintendo was going to bundle Wii Sports resort with Motion Plus for like $50(like Wii Play)? Dammit, now it's like a $60 purchase for both. $20 more for my second Wiimote. $80??! You must be kidding me!

[quote name='emeraldgsl']I thought Nintendo was going to bundle Wii Sports resort with Motion Plus for like $50(like Wii Play)? Dammit, now it's like a $60 purchase for both. $20 more for my second Wiimote. $80??! You must be kidding me![/quote]

What are you talking about? Wii Sports Resort comes with a Wii Motion Plus and has an MSRP of $49.99

I finally bit on this on Amazon, since it was in my Gold Box and with the ECA 10% off it ended up being under $40. If there ends up being a better deal closer to release next month I might cancel, but I sort of doubt it.

[quote name='splintercell']I finally bit on this on Amazon, since it was in my Gold Box and with the ECA 10% off it ended up being under $40. If there ends up being a better deal closer to release next month I might cancel, but I sort of doubt it.[/QUOTE]

I am jealous. Hopefully it shows up in mine before the raise the price. I already have 2 WM+ (both from Tiger Woods bundles via the EA/BB Sims cash deal), but since I can't get Sports Resort as a stand-alone, I'd at least like to get it for less than $40.

[quote name='guessed']I am jealous. Hopefully it shows up in mine before the raise the price. I already have 2 WM+ (both from Tiger Woods bundles via the EA/BB Sims cash deal), but since I can't get Sports Resort as a stand-alone, I'd at least like to get it for less than $40.[/QUOTE]

You should easily be able to eBay the WM+ for more than $10 if you wanted.

[quote name='jeremy517']You should easily be able to eBay the WM+ for more than $10 if you wanted.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, probably. I may end up keeping it, depending on what kind of 3-player support there is, and if I can get a third person to play. For now, I need the 2 I have for Grand Slam Tennis. I haven't played it yet, since my wife is out of town.

bread's done
Back