Prey $4.95 on Steam

jax_the_ax15

CAGiversary!
This weekend only, nab acclaimed first person shooter Prey for just $4.95. Yes, $4.95. Don't let this one get away!

If your looking for prey and want it for less than 5 dollars there ya go.

Wow, that's an insanely great price for a great game! I'm going to jump on it, even though it probably won't run as well on my computer as the game ran when I rented it for the 360.

Thanks OP!

[quote name='Chacrana']It's really a waste of time... yeah, it's cheap, but I'd feel terrible if I lost 8 hours to this.[/quote]
This thing alone is worth a lot more than your average movie ticket.

[quote name='Nohbdy']This thing alone is worth a lot more than your average movie ticket.[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right. My statements are worth more than your average movie ticket, meaning that one sentence coming out of my mouth (or hands, in this case), is worth at least $8. And you fuckers are well-overdue for paying me.

for some reason I really liked prey. I think it was underrated because it was short for a full priced game. But the short time you play it is great! highly recommended at this price.

You know, I usually find Steam Store's prices to be rather excessive and have never bought anything from it...but damn, this is probably the best deal you'll ever find for this game excluding that Circuit City 50% sale some time ago. Well, well worth the $5 (especially if there's no tax, does Steam charge tax?).

[quote name='Edge']You know, I usually find Steam Store's prices to be rather excessive and have never bought anything from it...but damn, this is probably the best deal you'll ever find for this game excluding that Circuit City 50% sale some time ago. Well, well worth the $5 (especially if there's no tax, does Steam charge tax?).[/QUOTE]

Only if you're in WA since they're in Seattle.

[quote name='Edge']You know, I usually find Steam Store's prices to be rather excessive ...[/quote]

Same here. About time Steam really takes advantage of digital distribution and offers rock bottom prices. I'm in for a copy, if for no other reason than to encourage Steam to do more of this kinda thing.

You guys must be idiots blaming Valve { Makers of Steam } for their prices.

The people who release the game on there choose the prices.

Valve doesn't make a big enough of a cut to take 15 dollars off a game.

besides if developers saved themselves the cost of making all the boxes/manuals/and dvds for their games and passed the savings onto the consumer they might prove that piracy hasnt destroyed PC gaming, then where would they be without that excuse when their crappy products dont sell well?

ha good point qwerty.

While I think some publishers simply want to pocket the savings afforded by digital distribution, I think others have retail stores squeezing them by the balls not to undercut store prices during release weeks. That's why COD4 was $50 on Steam and $50 in-store during release week.

PC gaming would get a huge boost if publishers really embraced digital distribution and sold new AAA games for $30 over Steam. It'd be a way of telling people, "Thanks to the wonders of Steam, PCs, and the internet, new games can be cheaper than ever!"

Besides, PC games are overpriced: you can't easily resell them like console games and they face a higher likelihood of technical problems. As such, they should be cheaper to compensate for those huge shortcomings. This is why I don't buy PC games until at least a year after release.

[quote name='Chacrana']It's really a waste of time... yeah, it's cheap, but I'd feel terrible if I lost 8 hours to this.[/quote]

Wrong.

Great FPS, worth more than a measly $5.

[quote name='Microshock']You guys must be idiots blaming Valve { Makers of Steam } for their prices.

The people who release the game on there choose the prices.

Valve doesn't make a big enough of a cut to take 15 dollars off a game.[/QUOTE]

First off, noone in this thread have even mentioned Valve, so I don't see who you're responding to.

Secondly, there's no reason they should be charging so damn much for the games they DO have full control because simply taking the retailer out of the picture reduces costs by around $15 (not to mention packaging and shipping). Just look at their prices for individual Valve games, it's ridiculous. This marks the first time that they've sold a game for substantially less than most retailers have in the past (excluding perhaps Earth 2160, although I didn't see that in retail stores for very long).

Either way, $5 for Prey is a terrific deal. It's just ironic that it's a third party game since this means that both Valve and the developers decided to lower the price on it. You'd think they'd be putting their own games on sale first.

If I didn't have the 360 version I would pick this up. But even at five bucks I'm still temped to pick it up. I like how Steam keeps a record of all your games, no cd keys, or disks to take up shelf space. Plus I never get prompted to "please insert game disk" messages.

It's nice to know I will own a game for as long as I have a steam account and I can install any where I want.

Thanks for the heads up OP. I wish Steam would be a little more regular about when they put up stuff for sale. I don't check Steam every day so sometimes I miss out on there sales. They should do it every Sunday like the B&M stores.

[quote name='munch']Should I buy it for $5 on Steam or $10 on the 360?[/quote]
It depends on your situation. If your 360 is hooked up to a big screen HDTV, then get the 360 version. You can always sell it for $5 when your done. With the Steam version, you only pay $5, but you can't get rid of it when you done with it. But if you prefer KB/M controls, then get the Steam version. That is a pretty good deal.

[quote name='Nealocus123']Wrong.

Great FPS, worth more than a measly $5.[/QUOTE]

What, so you're telling me it's worth wasting 8 hours on an FPS that's worse than like... 90% of the shooters that came out last year? It ain't.

[quote name='munch']Should I buy it for $5 on Steam or $10 on the 360?[/quote]

Spend 5 dollars less for a superior control scheme.

[quote name='nflsonic']Wow, that's an insanely great price for a great game! I'm going to jump on it, even though it probably won't run as well on my computer as the game ran when I rented it for the 360.

Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

What's your system? Unless you got it with a joke of a video card, I'd assume it'll run it at least as well as the 360. Even my system from 2003 runs it basically as well as the 360, only with much better controls.

[quote name='darthbudge']I never really had any interest in Prey, but I might have to buy this. 4.95 is awesome for any game.[/QUOTE]

Any game? No...but Prey for $5 or $10 is awesome.

[quote name='munch']Should I buy it for $5 on Steam or $10 on the 360?[/QUOTE]

I'd go for $10 for a non-DRMed PC copy over either, but between the two definitely the PC version. Cheaper, better control, and better graphics if you have a remotely modern machine.

[quote name='Chacrana']What, so you're telling me it's worth wasting 8 hours on an FPS that's worse than like... 90% of the shooters that came out last year? It ain't.[/QUOTE]

In the first place, this came out TWO years ago if I'm remembering right... and worse compared with WHAT? I'm sure you could find something better in the last two years, but I'm also sure Prey is better than the majority of shooters in the last two years.

It was ok, $5 for it is fine if you havent picked up at CC when it was being blown out of there as well.

0 replay value.

[quote name='Edge']Secondly, there's no reason they should be charging so damn much for the games they DO have full control because simply taking the retailer out of the picture reduces costs by around $15 (not to mention packaging and shipping).[/QUOTE]
Yes, there is. Like it or not, retail sales still make up the overwhelming majority of sales. If Valve starts seriously undercutting retail pricing, they're going to find it very, very difficult to get anyone to stock their games at retail. No one is going to carry a product that they know is being sold for half the price somewhere else.

Someone is going to need to suck it up and be the first to go entirely digital, but the market isn't quite ready yet.

[quote name='Chacrana']What, so you're telling me it's worth wasting 8 hours on an FPS that's worse than like... 90% of the shooters that came out last year? It ain't.[/quote]

You're trolling and it isnt anything new. The fact that you think your opinion matters enough to come to the conclusion that the game is terrible for everyone asking is just sad. Fact is Prey has a metacritic score of 83% for the PC and 79% for the 360. Everyone has their own tastes, but i assure you Prey, to the average FPS guru, is a hell of a lot better than 90% of the trash released.

If it wasnt up to par for you, thats cool, but dont be a douche about it in trying to force your opinion on others.

Dammit, I am not able to buy this. I have 10 bucks in my PayPal account, but every time I try to purchase the game PayPal tells "This transaction amount is greater than your available PayPal balance. To complete purchase, please add a credit or debit card." Tis frustrating because it is a lie and I don't have a credit card.

[quote name='Duke Vandal']Dammit, I am not able to buy this. I have 10 bucks in my PayPal account, but every time I try to purchase the game PayPal tells "This transaction amount is greater than your available PayPal balance. To complete purchase, please add a credit or debit card." Tis frustrating because it is a lie and I don't have a credit card.[/quote]

i had a friend who had the same problem when he was trying to purchase Audiosurf
get a friend to gift it to you or something
i would do it if you get ahold of me on aim/msn messenger :)

On the topic of DD.... one thats really killing me.. is Sins of a Solar Empire.. its actualy 10$ more over DD then buying the disc in store...... 39.99$ in stores and 50$ on the website for download.

None of you seem to understand me. Valve doesn't control any of the games on there except their own.

The publishers choose the prices and can even make it free if they want as proven by the free sam and max episode.

No , companies wont make digital copies cheaper because even though there is no shipping costs, packaging , or printing costs involved in it , you still have to pay for the bandwith for the servers

the bandwith is a lot especially since steam games can be downloaded over and over again without a limit.

Valve gets like a 10 percent share of the games cost? Prey was 20 dollars. So the publisher gets 15 if they sell a copy on there.

THE PUBLISHER decided to do this because they saw no one was buying their game and wanted to get a little bit more money out of this.

Sheesh , I know all of you guys are used to consoles and the fact that you get a box and everything but PC gamers are a lot quicker to embrace what valve does with steam.

Bandwidth is pretty cheap. Amazon charges something like $0.18/GB for some of their S3 related stuff -- maybe cheaper by now. Let's give Valve the benefit of the doubt and say they lack Amazon's massive data centers. So even at $0.40/GB or $0.60/GB you're still looking at ~$2 - $5 per game, and that's pretty liberal.

The cost of bandwidth is nothing compared to the production and distribution of a product to retailers. From books to movies to games, companies have been reluctant to pass the savings from digital distribution on to the consumer. They want to pocket all that they can and it's made the move to digital distribution much slower than it needed to be. Valve has no middle man on Steam. And they are the middle man for games like Prey. And Valve does have a say in what goes on Steam and how much is charged since they own the system.

[quote name='Punk0']And Valve does have a say in what goes on Steam and how much is charged since they own the system.[/quote]

With regards to their own products? Sure. With regards to other games? No. First of all when a game goes on steam that doesnt automatically mean that the publisher of the game is cut out of the sales. In the case of prey 2k Games still earns money on every copy sold along with the developer Human Head. And second, valve does not set the prices on other peoples games, period. You inquire about using their distribution system for your game, you tell them what price you want it to sell at, and they take a percent of that profit.

[quote name='Rollett']On the topic of DD.... one thats really killing me.. is Sins of a Solar Empire.. its actualy 10$ more over DD then buying the disc in store...... 39.99$ in stores and 50$ on the website for download.[/QUOTE]

I guess the main appeal to spending the extra money for a download is that Stardock and Ironclad are pseudo-indie, so they'd get a bigger chunk of the money doing it that way.

bread's done
Back