Price Drop - Nintendo DS Lite $99.99 on 6/5

get the lite when it drops to hold you out for the 3DS to drop, then get that. By then maybe the 3DS library will be fleshed out with some decent titles.

About time..

I personally prefer the DS Lite to the DSi because of the GBA slot. If that doesn't matter to you then the DSi is the better choice of the two.

I do expect Nintendo to do price drops on all of the other systems too

[quote name='ssjmichael']About time..

I personally prefer the DS Lite to the DSi because of the GBA slot. [/QUOTE]

Me to. This is great news for me, as my DS Phat has a good amount of wear and tear. I'll probably pick up one thru AWD if they drop as low as $50, or just fork over the cash and buy a new one sometime this year.

Even if you don't take the GBA slot into account, I don't think the DSi is worth it for its extra features. The XL is great because of its increased size, but the camera and web browser are pretty useless if you have a decent phone, and DSiWare is kind of an embarassment right now.

If you've never owned a DS, I say go for the Lite.

I'd either get the DS Lite (if you have GBA games you still want to play), or jump straight to the XL. It's a good amount bigger than the DSi, but I think it's worth it for the larger screens.

(Unless the larger form factor really kills it for you...then I'm not sure.)

Gotta love gamestop taking advantage of the uninformed.

I love my Cobalt DS Lite. I don't buy stuff on DSi ware and I don't need a camera. At $100 (and possibly less if retailers start discounting), it's a great buy.

I heard the DS Lite is now discontinued so this may be a price drop to clear out remaining stock.

They are both good systems, but I would get the DS Lite personally, the DSi will have better resale value but honestly it won't have that much better resale value and its $50 more than a DS Lite which isn't worth it.

If you can get a good deal on a DSi though go for it, I got a DSi for $119 a couple days before Black Friday and I feel it was worth that price, probably not worth more than that though.

When I saw the DS games in red cases in the article I thought it meant they were going to finally have a budget line of games. I can't believe that games like Mario 64 DS have been out for 6 1/2 years and still in print for full price.

i was hoping there would be a price drop but was hoping for the DSiXL. i hope they decide to drop them all post E3! :applause:

[quote name='YoshiFan1']When I saw the DS games in red cases in the article I thought it meant they were going to finally have a budget line of games. I can't believe that games like Mario 64 DS have been out for 6 1/2 years and still in print for full price.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it seems silly these games will remain at their $30-$35 price points. But then again, they're still making DSi's and DSi XL's... Maybe the Wii Selects/Player's Choice equivalent for the DS will come at a later time.

I guess red boxes are kind of cool though. Unfortunately they're probably the flimsy eco-friendly casing...

You would also think there would be an appropriate drop with the DSi and DSi XL to keep things in line. Oh well.

This is good. Since my old ds coped out on me a while back I've wanted another one. This means that gamestop will drop the price on their used ds lites and I will get one then.

Last edited by a moderator:
DS lite is a great system. The DSi XL is probably the best for people who use it a lot, but the lite is just fine. I use my lite more than the XL i had, not sure why... i just don't care about beating it up so i take it out more.

[quote name='topplehat']No word on DSi and DSi XL price drops, though? You would think they'd be right up there with the Lite.[/QUOTE]

I would love an XL after watching all the kiddies have one:lol: The bigger screen really seems to make a difference, especially in DQ/Pokemon/RPG games.

[quote name='Donutkid2222']If I were to buy this, would it be better to buy a Dsi? I have not owned a Nintendo product since the gameboy.[/QUOTE]

It depends, really.

The XL is better for playing just DS games and the SP is better for playing just GBA games but if you're looking to have access to Nintendo's back catalog of handheld games then the lite is the way to go.

If you're going to skip the GBA games then by all means spend the extra money and get an XL.

Starting with the DSi Nintendo started region-locking games. Some newer DS titles that play fine on the Lite will refuse to play on the DSi and XL if the cartridge region doesn't match the console region.

They also took out some language options on the console.

For that reason, if you play import games at all the Lite is a better choice.

I'd like a DSi XL since I already have a cobalt blue DS Lite. At $90-$100, I might consider looking for a silver DS Lite as a back-up.

Usually on EBay you can get a deal on GBA systems if you are willing to wait. I wanted a GBA SP, it took a few weeks of low bidding but I finally got one with Warioware Twisted for $21.xx with shipping. I sold Warioware for $10 (I already had it) so I basically paid just over $10 for the SP.

[quote name='enforcer2003']Starting with the DSi Nintendo started region-locking games. Some newer DS titles that play fine on the Lite will refuse to play on the DSi and XL if the cartridge region doesn't match the console region.

For that reason, if you play import games at all the Lite is a better choice.[/QUOTE]
What normal DS games are actually region locked?

I might buy one last spare, given it's the only thing that'll run my GBA games :( (dang, I wish I had more GBCs, and the power adapter for it...)

my friggin niece just scratched up my DS lite the other day, kinda pisses me off. I got OCD about that kinda stuff so now i just see the scratches every time i use it and i cant even look at it

I guess i'll have to buy another one, good to hear about the price drop. I do have a mario LE DSI XL, but i kinda like the lite better visually. Some games look like ass blown up on the XL screen. Plus the lite lets me play old GBA games which is crucial since i dont have a GBA. Out of curiosity, what screen protectors do you guys use on yours? I tried a hori one from play-asia but i could NOT get it on without dust getting under it. ruined 2 sets of them

Anyone think the price will drop some more or should i jump @ the $99 price? Im a bit concerned if they are being discontinued

[quote name='imacgod']Yeah, it seems silly these games will remain at their $30-$35 price points. But then again, they're still making DSi's and DSi XL's... Maybe the Wii Selects/Player's Choice equivalent for the DS will come at a later time.

I guess red boxes are kind of cool though. Unfortunately they're probably the flimsy eco-friendly casing...

You would also think there would be an appropriate drop with the DSi and DSi XL to keep things in line. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

So what if it's in eco-friendly casing? Is that such a problem to you? And it's not that flimsy don't know where you got that from. The 3DS game cases have square holes and it's still pretty sturdy while not using as much plastic. Win-win.

[quote name='prim4444']TRU has it for $89.99 in next week's ad[/QUOTE]

If this is true I'm going to be all over it. I was planning to buy my son a DSi for his birthday in July but if I can get a new DS Lite for $90 I might just go for that. He does love the camera feature on his sister's DSi but he wouldn't use any of the other features... if the DSi drops to like $120 I'd consider it though...

[quote name='enforcer2003']Starting with the DSi Nintendo started region-locking games. Some newer DS titles that play fine on the Lite will refuse to play on the DSi and XL if the cartridge region doesn't match the console region.

For that reason, if you play import games at all the Lite is a better choice.[/QUOTE]

Unless your talking about bootlegs I don't think they are region locked...

[quote name='xFatalFlaw']So what if it's in eco-friendly casing? Is that such a problem to you? And it's not that flimsy don't know where you got that from. The 3DS game cases have square holes and it's still pretty sturdy while not using as much plastic. Win-win.[/QUOTE]

I'm not liking your tone. But I'll try to be rational with you.

The current Xbox, Wii, and DS cases have really awkward gigantic circles or recycle symbols. You don't need an engineering degree to know that lack of material in such large spaces is going compromise the durability. I have had these things come to me shattered completely, and I've had to do exchanges with Amazon as well as Best Buy because of how weak these cases are. And I've seen plenty of cover art in-stores at least punctured or ripped because of these cases. There isn't much win-win if my game comes damaged or scratched because they decide to use flimsier cases, now is there? Cases exist to protect things inside of them. These are doing a horrendous job.

Another thing that bugs me is the costs that the companies save on production costs and transportation costs, but the savings don't get passed on to the consumer. All we're supposed to get out of it is a warm feeling of saving the Earth. But that quickly goes away when you receive your game jacked up. Fantastic. Really the 3DS' game cases seem to be the only one that balances that out right minus saving the consumer some money. I'm sure you can design a better case without compromising durability.

In conclusion, I will probably hate these red cases too assuming they go with the DS eco-friendly case design and not the 3DS case design.

[quote name='Javery']If this is true I'm going to be all over it. I was planning to buy my son a DSi for his birthday in July but if I can get a new DS Lite for $90 I might just go for that. He does love the camera feature on his sister's DSi but he wouldn't use any of the other features... if the DSi drops to like $120 I'd consider it though...[/QUOTE]

If you can hold out until Black Friday I am sure we will see sales on DS hardware that are much better than the prices now. Considering I picked up a DSi for $119 last year I would expect them to go to $99 or at least go to $119 again. But if the birthday is in July you might not be able to wait. I don't consider my DSi a waste of money as I play the crap out of it.

[quote name='SaraAB']If you can hold out until Black Friday I am sure we will see sales on DS hardware that are much better than the prices now. Considering I picked up a DSi for $119 last year I would expect them to go to $99 or at least go to $119 again. But if the birthday is in July you might not be able to wait. I don't consider my DSi a waste of money as I play the crap out of it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah his sons birthday is in July but he is going to wait till November to buy his gift. Lol

[quote name='hellbringer333']Yeah his sons birthday is in July but he is going to wait till November to buy his gift. Lol[/QUOTE]

Depends on how much CAG he has in him.

bread's done
Back