Pricing article for Wii

mofo1115

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
http://www.forbes.com/home/digitalentertainment/2006/05/10/nintendo-e3-strategy-rr_cx_0510game.html

I don't know whether that is positive or negative...

Positive:

"Bet on the Wii will selling for less than $200, says Scott Steinberg, vice president of marketing for Sega."

Negative:

"Now that our competitors have put their cards on the table we think we can wait to set the price of the Wii," Nintendo Senior Vice President George Harrison said after he’d stepped offstage. "Typically, pricing for a console launching in the fall won't be announced until August or September. We were surprised Sony said it last night."

I'm hoping that they're not rethinking about raising the price just because Sony's PS3 is so expensive...

Maybe they'll up the price but bundle more stuff with it?

Either way - Nintendo can wait till 1-2 months before launch before announcing the price. With a constant stream of info, videos, and pics to get us more hungry they could dictate a sub $250 price and a good deal of us (anyways) would think it's a great deal for the potential it has ALREADY off the bat.

And if MS decides to do the unlikely price drop, Nintendo can always follow suit.

I don't think they'll raise their price just because Sony's system was expensive...

More or less, they've always planned to make it close to the competition (they want to make a profit, right?) so I'm willing to bet that $250 is estimate even if they could release it for $200.

[quote name='mofo1115']I'm hoping that they're not rethinking about raising the price just because Sony's PS3 is so expensive...[/quote]

I definately think that the price will be about $50 higher now that Sony has announced a price than it would have been before. $250 will look like a bargain compared to Sony's $500-600.

On an unrelated note, I don't think that Sony learned to much from M$ about the two console thing. That's a mistake in my opinion, but I probably don't know too much.

TBW

$650 Wii and 360 or $600 PS3, hmmmmmmmm tough choice. lol I'm hoping for $200 of course. Was a release date announced? I haven't been keeping up....

It doesn't matter. I'm going to prolly drop 500-600 on system + games + controllers, and feel like a man while I am doing so.

[quote name='Strell']It doesn't matter. I'm going to prolly drop 500-600 on system + games + controllers, and feel like a man while I am doing so.[/QUOTE]
No, Wii is teh kidddzzz! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLO ... ?

[quote name='Strell']It doesn't matter. I'm going to prolly drop 500-600 on system + games + controllers, and feel like a man while I am doing so.[/QUOTE]

eh just think of it as 1 more game for you if the price is lower

I think it might come in around $250 with two controllers and a couple of free VC downloads. If it comes in at $200, then I imagine all we'll get is one controller and a demo disc. Still, with as much as Nintendo is pushing the "we," you'd think they'd also push two controllers with the system.

i really want to know the pricing just so i can know how much im going to spend, but really it doesnt matter, i planned on buying it on launch day and e3's showing has only made me wish that day comes sooner.

[quote name='paz9x']i really want to know the pricing just so i can know how much im going to spend, but really it doesnt matter, i planned on buying it on launch day and e3's showing has only made me wish that day comes sooner.[/quote]

I wish they would say the price also, Large opinion even outside this forum is high end 250, poplar vote 199 and lowend is 150. I wonder if they are planning a mass infiltration, what would be nice so many consoles hit the market everyone can get one and the price is 150. at 150 more people will pick up an extra game or accessory.

Like others have said if they release it at $250 with two controllers, a classic controller, and Wii sports that would be fucking awesome. Even without the classic controller that sounds great to me.

I really hope they launch it with more than one color too, I need a black or red and dammit I don't wanna wait for it.

[quote name='SpazX']Like others have said if they release it at $250 with two controllers, a classic controller, and Wii sports that would be fucking awesome. Even without the classic controller that sounds great to me.

I really hope they launch it with more than one color too, I need a black or red and dammit I don't wanna wait for it.[/QUOTE]
They had blue and black controllers on display, but I doubt they'll launch with them. Have they ever had a US launch with different colors other than the DS?

[quote name='botticus']They had blue and black controllers on display, but I doubt they'll launch with them. Have they ever had a US launch with different colors other than the DS?[/quote]
I know, but isn't this supposed to be different? :p Don't destroy my dreams!

if its over $199 without any extras ill be bummed, ill still buy it but ill be bummed.

and id prefer a bundle as an option.

i cant frickin wait.

I WANT a bundle so I can't be blamed for spending so much money. "Sweetie, I HAD to buy 10 games, four controllers, and three children with the Wii, that's the only way it was sold!"

[quote name='botticus']I WANT a bundle so I can't be blamed for spending so much money. "Sweetie, I HAD to buy 10 games, four controllers, and three children with the Wii, that's the only way it was sold!"[/QUOTE]

Come now. Do we honestly expect Gamestop to not do this?

[quote name='Strell']Come now. Do we honestly expect Gamestop to not do this?[/QUOTE]
I vote for a $600 bundle, so I can laugh at the people (same launch day - genius) who buy a PS3. They walk out with a big expensive box, while I take home a box ($200), four controllers ($30-$40 x4), and 5 or 6 games ($40-$50 x5,6) for the same cost.

Here's hoping to $199 but I wouldn't be shocked if its $250. Another expensive winter for consoles for me. The Wii and the 60 gig PS3 configuration. Gaming heaven! Its great to be a hardcore gamer with no bias but man its addictive and expensive!

Nintendo knows that perception is reality: With it's competitors priced at $300-$600, a Wii for $250 sounds like a friggin' steal. And, I think it is.

Consider this: the Gamecube was never plagued by the little problems the PS2 and Xbox had. It is a sound machine, sturdily-made. The Wii will, undoubtedly, be the same. I can drop $50 more for that peace of mind. Plus, the damn controller seems like so much fun! Welcome back Zapper!

bundles only sell in shortage situations. People hate being forced into bundles. Gamestop can try it if they want, but if that family can go down to Target or Walmart and get one straight up, and then add only what they want, then certainly thats what will happen.

I hope Nintendo can deliver on supply. Launches always have to be so god damn tricky.

I've set aside $300 already for the Wii at launch, I'm hoping this gets me a console, 2 controllers, and 2 games (preferably with one of each bundled).

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']It'd be sweet if it's $199 and I'd defintely pay $250 for a bundle. BTW, what did the GC debut at? Wasn't it around $200?[/quote]

I believe every Nintendo console EVER has launched at 200 as far as the United States is concerned.

Yeah, I'm really hoping for $200. Right now, with what I've seen, $250 for just the system is getting around the range where I'm questioning if I really need it or if I can just wait until it drops to the $200 that it's a definite buy for me.

I'm not sure why the $50 difference is having that big of an influence on me, but for some reason it is.

I agree. If it's $250 without anything included, I'm most likely waiting for the launch of smash. If it's $250 bundle, it might be too tempting to resist, also if its $199 alone.

[quote name='botticus']They had blue and black controllers on display, but I doubt they'll launch with them. Have they ever had a US launch with different colors other than the DS?[/QUOTE]

I believe the Gamecube launched both in black and purple, er.. Indigo.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']It'd be sweet if it's $199 and I'd defintely pay $250 for a bundle. [/quote]

This is exactly what I think is going to happen - either they are launching at $200 for the standalone system or $250 with a game and maybe some virtual console shit thrown in like the controller and a $5 SNES game DL of your choice or something.

Iwata speaks.

Q: Unlike Sony, you did not announce pricing or the launch date for your new console this week.

On pricing, can you give a general sense for how you might compare to something like the $600 version of the PlayStation 3?

A: First of all, all we've said is that we'll have an affordable price range.

We're using "affordable" in the sense that the price won't be significantly higher than Nintendo's prices have been historically. Compared with $600, anything is affordable, so it's absurd to even compare our price.

That could technically point to 250 rather than 200, but only if you read way into it.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Iwata speaks.

That could technically point to 250 rather than 200, but only if you read way into it.[/QUOTE]

That looks to almost confirm $250 to me. Now what do we get for that price?

If they've done a good job of actually making people want it, then $250 is probably better for them, since the swing from the extra $50 probably outweights the number of people who havent been completely sold on it.

I dont think that article necessarily guarantees 250 though. They're still considering options.

[quote name='javeryh']This is exactly what I think is going to happen - either they are launching at $200 for the standalone system or $250 with a game and maybe some virtual console shit thrown in like the controller and a $5 SNES game DL of your choice or something.[/quote]

I'd do that, spend an extra $50 for a game (especially Zeldizzle or possibly even Marizzle) or for some VC games and an extra controller. I am beyond psyched for this system, I hope to GOD they bring it out before November as the wife puts me on a moratorium until Christmas. I also need to get all the gaming in that I can before the baby comes in January.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I hope to GOD they bring it out before November as the wife puts me on a moratorium until Christmas. [/quote]

:D Me too.

It doesn't matter what the price is. It depends on what you get for that price. Hell, it doesn't even matter then, unless it's far too expensive.

Even if he "confirms" it for $250, that could mean system + controller, system + 2 controllers, system + controller + game, etc, etc.

Also from that article, expect pricing to show up in the summer.

[quote name='botticus']It doesn't matter what the price is. It depends on what you get for that price. Hell, it doesn't even matter then, unless it's far too expensive.

Even if he "confirms" it for $250, that could mean system + controller, system + 2 controllers, system + controller + game, etc, etc.

Also from that article, expect pricing to show up in the summer.[/quote]

I would think with the Wii logo that two controllers are going to be standard. Whether that pushes the price to $250, we'll have to see. I'm hoping we're going to see the return of a game bundled with the system. It's been a long time.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I believe every Nintendo console EVER has launched at 200 as far as the United States is concerned.[/quote]pretty sure NES was much less, like 120 or 150

I don't think it'd make sense for them to raise the price just because the PS3 will be so expensive. That would go against their appealing to non-gamers. And they still have to compete with the 360, which I'm betting will probably happen to drop in price around the time the Wii/PS3 come out.

$250 for the system with 2 controllers, a game, and a VC download would be a good deal. But with no Mario at launch, what would they bundle with it? Zelda? It's a good game, but I don't know that it has the universal appeal of Mario.

[quote name='rlse9']I don't think it'd make sense for them to raise the price just because the PS3 will be so expensive. That would go against their appealing to non-gamers. And they still have to compete with the 360, which I'm betting will probably happen to drop in price around the time the Wii/PS3 come out.

$250 for the system with 2 controllers, a game, and a VC download would be a good deal. But with no Mario at launch, what would they bundle with it? Zelda? It's a good game, but I don't know that it has the universal appeal of Mario.[/QUOTE]

I am positive that the Wii sports compilation was made from the ground up to be a pack in game. It was probrobly cheap to develop and they want something that shows off the controller. It also seems like it's something that would draw in gamers and nongamers alike.

I could dig a system + two controllers for $250.00 deal. Although, I think I'd rather it come with system + one controller + nanchaku attachment + classic controller, instead.

...and perhaps Super Mario World pre-installed on the machine as a homage to the SNES. ;)

[quote name='yukine']I could dig a system + two controllers for $250.00 deal. Although, I think I'd rather it come with system + one controller + nanchaku attachment + classic controller, instead.

...and perhaps Super Mario World pre-installed on the machine as a homage to the SNES. ;)[/QUOTE]
I don't think they can split up the controller + nunchuk. I don't recall any games that have only used one. So I think we need to start thinking of the controller as "remote + nunchuk"

Wii Sports only uses the remote as well as Excite Truck. There are probably more but I agree with you, the nunchuck is vital for too many games to not be included by default.

[quote name='botticus']They had blue and black controllers on display, but I doubt they'll launch with them. Have they ever had a US launch with different colors other than the DS?[/QUOTE]

Only the GBC,Gamecube, GBA, GBA SP, and GB Micro (if you consider the swapable skins as different colors).

The Wii will definitely come in different colors on launch.

I would like the system to be $200, but if it was $250 and had two wiimotes and nunchucks, a few free VC downloads, and Wii Sports I would be happy with the price.

[quote name='botticus']I don't think they can split up the controller + nunchuk. I don't recall any games that have only used one. So I think we need to start thinking of the controller as "remote + nunchuk"[/quote]

Yeah, I suppose. But if that is the case, I think we might be looking at just ONE controller. As, I can't remember the last time a system came with two controllers, especially at $200.00 - $250.00, but at $300.00... maybe.

[quote name='yukine']Yeah, I suppose. But if that is the case, I think we might be looking at just ONE controller. As, I can't remember the last time a system came with two controllers, especially at $200.00 - $250.00, but at $300.00... maybe.[/QUOTE]
I'm fairly certain the NES came with SMB/Duck Hunt, 2 controllers, and Zapper. Granted I was 5, so maybe my parents bought the second controller separately.

bread's done
Back