Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

I'm mildly excited for the "shake-up" tonight. I feel like post-Mania with new NXT additions it's not super necessary, but it'll certainly be interesting, especially to see how many people get switched.

I'm feeling like New Day for sure will be moving since there's nothing for them and SD could use the tag teams, and probably AJ Styles to RAW with that nice moment he had on SD with Shane. He's a perfect foil for Kurt, and plus having The Club back together can only be good. Other than that nothing super obvious is sticking out to me, besides a couple of women switching, which could be any. (Likely Charlotte and Becky)

Now THAT .... is how you push a guy.
Yeah wow, great segment. Strowman looked amazing, excluding that weird fake stretcher-switcharoo bit. Based on the crowd reaction people bit on to it though, so I guess they pulled it off.

On a sidenote, if you haven't watched Strowman's strongman competition stuff, it's amazing. Glad they're able to use that to build him up as the freak athlete he is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now THAT .... is how you push a guy.
Until he takes another loss (or two) from Reigns...

So AJ stays on Smackdown and Strowman destroys an ambulance. A good time to be a wrestling fan!
Indeed. I was a bit shocked by the Miz changing shows... Smackdown was perfect for him cause of the uniqueness of Talking Smack. (Which I'm pretty sure RAW doesn't have similar show on a weekly bases.)

Anyhow, sort of hoping that the Braun/Reigns segment was to get Reigns off TV for a bit so the heat can cool down and get Bruan an exit from the feud by moving him to Smackdown.

That Braun segment was awesome, agreed it'll be a waste when he jobs to Roman.

Owens on SD should be fun, hopefully the Club move over too.

Happy that Team Rude (Alexa and Nia) are reunited.

So fans legitimately hate Reigns because the company is forcing him down our throat because he's huge/strong/has a great look but can't wrestle for fuck

...and fans applaud Strowman because...?

So fans legitimately hate Reigns because the company is forcing him down our throat because he's huge/strong/has a great look but can't wrestle for fuck

Can't speak to others, but for me it's a little bit of Braun is what Roman is supposed to be, ya know? Braun is LEGITIMATELY this huge, strong, cocky dude, and comes across as organic on screen. Roman is trying to be, while also being the guy who fights for his family, and the anti-authority figure, and the sexy lady's guy, and the funny guy, and the guy who always protects his friends, and this super tough unbeatable badass. His character is "everything fans could like", but he pulls off none of it, and is just endlessly boring and shallow in the process. Pair his weak character with his goofy ring gear, and you have my least favorite guy in the main event scene right now.

Also, Braun never wore color contacts and can flip over ambulances. So there's that.

I "hate" Roman because he's boring, has shit gear, won't move on from Shield like the other two, and isn't compelling. Braun has developed over a year where I don't see growth in Roman. Seth and Dean evolved their styles and so has Braun, while a Roman match now is no different.

Braun also has a very different role that he's trying to fill. As a giant/strongman type, I think he's doing as well as can be expected given how little time he's been at it. He's being booked as a new Big Show or Mark Henry, not the next John Cena.

Roman can wrestle, Roman was able to get a good match out of Bray Wyatt at Hell in a Cell and I feel there is only a small handful of wrestlers who can do that. Plus I think he definitely benefits in tag team matches, especially as a hot tag. The problem is that as a character. there is no character. He is an empty void who only fits into the roles that creative wants him to be seen. I Can't describe a single characteristic about him, even in his interview with Cole yesterday with him trying to appear remorseful about ending Taker's career made no damn sense as weeks prior he kept talking about how all of Taker's accomplishments basically meant jack to his. Plus his finisher is hardly a goddamn finisher. I Don't know how it can be even called one when he has to do the same move in rapid succession for it to get results.

Strowman has been consistent all the way from the Wyatt's that he's man of few words who wants to beat people up. It's simple, but it's still character and hell if Roman Reigns can Superman Punch an ambulance, I'd be impressed, but since he hasn't, I'll still go on with the ridiculous entertainment of Strowman pushing one over last night. Plus he's trying to be a goddamn heel, not the face of the company. Though don't tell that to people at WWE.

Some thoughts from SD so far:

- JBL is being aaaawfully nice to Byron

- Rowan's new mask is legitimately terrifying

- "Glad Aiden is bringing that singing gimmick back" -Nobody

- Poor Tamina

- Byron just made a heroin joke. What is going on.

I appreciate the distinction y'all made b/w Roman and Strowman. I'm not sure I agree with all the points raised - but y'all are allowed to enjoy what you do (and dislike what you don't). Critiques of Roman as no good in the ring always struck me as insincere.

I blame John Cena's US title run. That was the year (give or take) that I recognized he was really putting together good matches, in a narrative sense, even if the move-for-move wasn't Okada/Omega quality, or that some sequences (5 moves of doom) inherently predictable. That year led me to realize that guys don't have to be Dean Malenko quality to be excellent wrestlers.

Seeing Roman and AJ at a house show last year left a huge impression on me; Reigns was just as good in that match as AJ was.

I appreciate the distinction y'all made b/w Roman and Strowman. I'm not sure I agree with all the points raised - but y'all are allowed to enjoy what you do (and dislike what you don't). Critiques of Roman as no good in the ring always struck me as insincere.

I blame John Cena's US title run. That was the year (give or take) that I recognized he was really putting together good matches, in a narrative sense, even if the move-for-move wasn't Okada/Omega quality, or that some sequences (5 moves of doom) inherently predictable. That year led me to realize that guys don't have to be Dean Malenko quality to be excellent wrestlers.

Seeing Roman and AJ at a house show last year left a huge impression on me; Reigns was just as good in that match as AJ was.
I know Roman can put on great matches, I feel they take many of the tools out of his toolbox with the direction he's given.

We got prime position for these NXT episodes, looks like 3 rows up, I'm in a Marty Scurll shirt and my girl is wearing Kenny Omega.

Cool!

(for me personally, not as cool as seeing Ruby Riot and Kimberly making their NXT debuts in the last 2 weeks, but still cool!)
I was so excited when they did that match, was sad it was only for furthering the Nikki angle. So glad they paid off the Tye angle.

We got prime position for these NXT episodes, looks like 3 rows up, I'm in a Marty Scurll shirt and my girl is wearing Kenny Omega.
That's so awesome that you get to see NXT in person so often... I got NXT touring through Kansas City in the back half of the month (hopefully with prime seats) and would love to hear who you think I should keep an eye out for whose not on TV. (With the latest round of departures the cupboard fills a bit empty TV talent wise.)

That's so awesome that you get to see NXT in person so often... I got NXT touring through Kansas City in the back half of the month (hopefully with prime seats) and would love to hear who you think I should keep an eye out for whose not on TV. (With the latest round of departures the cupboard fills a bit empty TV talent wise.)
The name value isn't as big, but it's a solid roster. Mandy Rose is the only name that hasn't had tv time that's worth watching, she's like what Eva should have been - doing the "I'm pretty" bit but can actually wrestle fine and doesn't look plastic. I would have said Heavy Machinery, but they're getting pushed now. The women's tournament will be fire, I hope Nixon Newell debuts and wins it.

Roddy, Hero/Ohno, Itami, End/Black can carry things. Sanity is good, Damo/Dain is a beast. The cage match for next week's show was very well done, Sanity keep the character work going all through the post match farewell.

A mention of Lucha Forever, they have their first event this weekend. The championship is between Travis Banks and Shane Strickland, two of my MVPs from mania weekend.

Catching up on the news with Shibata's headbutt and holy shit. I Feel for the guy since I love his work, but with how stiff the shots are in NJPW it doesn't surprise me. Though now I'm concerned with Okada since he works almost nonstop and received that headbutt (not to mention that dragon snap suplex from Omega at Wrestle Kingdom this year).

Jinder Mahal won a match on Smackdown to become the #1 contender for Randy Orton's WWE Title.  His last televised victory on Smackdown was reportedly October 9th, 2012. 

Wow.

Crazy to think this guy is going to be the next champion but I'm all for it.

It's tough to satisfy wrestling fans, man. We want to stop seeing the same old matchups, and then we bitch about who is put in there when they are changed up.

Coulda been Cena, you know.

I'm willing to give Jinder a shot. We know he ain't winning the title, but maybe he'll put on a good enough match that they keep him near the top of the card and giving him more opportunities to shine.

I'm willing to give Jinder a shot. We know he ain't winning the title, but maybe he'll put on a good enough match that they keep him near the top of the card and giving him more opportunities to shine.
Exactly. We know they're not taking the title off of Randy this soon, so why not give someone a boost and an opportunity. It's much better than having someone we would have wanted to win get the match and get batted down.

I'd much rather Jinder be champion over Randy because Randy is just legit boooooring. Though I see this as a good way to establish Jinder as a good mid card heel even after he loses, since Dolph isn't exactly impressing anyone and I don't know how long handsome Rusev will be out with that injury.

I'm fine with Jinder as long as they write something decent for him, right now he's just a weird cross between Ryback and a boring foreign heel.

I just looked up about Keith Lee, he's been wrestling some 2005 ama I hadn't heard of him until this year. I can't wait to see him destroy Darby Allin tomorrow. Tonight's match with Kyle O'Reilly is ok so far.

We decided to head up to Evolve after our afternoon Chikara show yesterday - somehow only my first live Evolve show. Sorry you didn't get Keith Lee v Darby Allin, but David Starr was an impressive substitute. Hope you dug Lee - I first saw him at a Beyond show last year and was immediately into him.

Really enjoyed Matt Riddle v Drew Galloway, Tracy Williams v Chris Dickinson, and Kyle O'Reilly v Fred Yehi. A super enjoyable show.

Man, what a day for Riddle yesterday; wrestling Pento El 0M in the afternoon and Drew Galloway in the evening!

We decided to head up to Evolve after our afternoon Chikara show yesterday - somehow only my first live Evolve show. Sorry you didn't get Keith Lee v Darby Allin, but David Starr was an impressive substitute. Hope you dug Lee - I first saw him at a Beyond show last year and was immediately into him.

Really enjoyed Matt Riddle v Drew Galloway, Tracy Williams v Chris Dickinson, and Kyle O'Reilly v Fred Yehi. A super enjoyable show.

Man, what a day for Riddle yesterday; wrestling Pento El 0M in the afternoon and Drew Galloway in the evening!
Wish you'd have said something earlier Myke, as I made the trip up to NY fir both evolve shows. It was my 2nd and 3rd show after evolve 67 in Vrooklyn last year. (Sat right next to the stage at La Boom where Page put Darby through all those chairs)

Was my first exposure to Keith Lee. He seems to really get that wrestling should be fun, hope to see others basking in his glory soon.

Since WWE did the classy move and involve a recently deceased relative to help garner sympathy for a face (Roman Reigns in this case). What are the chances Braun Strowman will show up at Rosey's funeral and toss the casket into the sun?

Wish you'd have said something earlier Myke, as I made the trip up to NY fir both evolve shows. It was my 2nd and 3rd show after evolve 67 in Vrooklyn last year. (Sat right next to the stage at La Boom where Page put Darby through all those chairs)

Was my first exposure to Keith Lee. He seems to really get that wrestling should be fun, hope to see others basking in his glory soon.
Let me know next time you go to Evolve or Beyond (or come down to see us at Chikara - we have a big show next Saturday, 5/6).

I don't get out a whole lot, but for Evolve or Beyond, I will.

(Also, I literally decided at 4PM that day to head up, so basically 3 hours before doors.)

bread's done
Back