PS2 game saves corrupted or disappeared

notorious_pip

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I posted this in the Official Launch Day thread, but I wasn't getting a response, so I just made a new thread.

My launch day PS3 is having a PS2 virtual memory card problem. I had created and only used a single virtual PS2 card on the PS3 when playing my PS2 games since launch, and it had worked without a hitch. Today none of the saves that I had on that card were showing up, and when I checked the card on the XMB, it showed the card to be empty.

I tried playing games with that card in the first virtual card slot, but I kept receiving a message that the card needed to be formatted. When the menu asked me if I wanted to format and I agreed, I'd receive an error message stating that the card couldn't be formatted. I'm guessing the data has become corrupted for some reason.

I haven't played many PS2 games on the PS3, so losing the saves isn't a big deal. I would like to recover the PS2 saves if possible, though, as I don't have them backed up elsewhere. Everything else works fine on the system (i.e. PS3 game saves are still present and working, all games and movies work, Tekken Dark Resurrection and GT HD work fine, etc.). I don't play my PS3 a great deal, maybe twice or three times a week for an hour or two at a time. If anyone else has run into this problem or knows how to recover the PS2 saves, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

just to post an update, i called sony about the issue. they basically don't know what's going on, and told me if it happens again, to call them with the details. so i have to waste more time playing a game only to lose my data again to find out probably nothing. sign me up.

The only thing I can think to help minimize this until Sony patches it is to use a separate "memory card" for each game, back them up from time to time, and maybe even use two separate "memory cards" for a single game.

Hope they fix this, because I keep hearing about it...

bread's done
Back