PS2 Repair thread

Having problems w my PS2, not the DRE but instead its a Disc does not load sometimes. The game will start, but when it comes to a new load screen, it sometimes will not work.

I'm thinking its the Disc drive and the laser not beingable to slide back and forth smoothly. Has anyone else had this problem before? If so let me know what you did if you could fix it or if it's just not fixable.

I may be looking for a new Drive as a result, I'll let you guys know. Thanks.

I have a prob like that too goldengraham, I am still yet to fix it so it works right though. It sometimes takes me 20 minutes just to get the damn thing to play a game. Sometimes it just says loading constantly, and other times it gives me a disc read error. Is that what yours does, or something different?

Hi, I'm new here.

I just browsed here while looking for info on my PS2 problem.

I finished cleaning it a sec ago, because it was making some awful noises when I put in blue disks. After I put it all together again, and turned it on, now it tells me "No Data".

I opened it again, and turned it on while it was open, and observed the laser and cd. The laser is moving around just fine, but the disc doesn't spin. It starts spinning for about half a sec then it just stops. I checked the ribbon cables, and everything is attached correctly, so I'm clueless as to what the problem could be,

Hi, On my PS2, the second controller port won't work.
I'm not exactly sure how it happened, maybe it was the madcatz 3rd party controller,
but now the 2nd player port is messed up. It doesn't work at all.
Any way to fix this? Because I'm missing alot of games on PS2 because now I only
get 1player games on PS2.....

Has this happened to anyone else before?

Alright Sony, you fucking win. This is my 3rd DRE PS2, and I'm sure as hell not buying another one. But, I cannot let Taiko Drum Master go unplayed.

Anyone know if Sony still repairs DREs outside of warranty? If so, what's the contact info? The links with the info in the thread are dead. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

EDIT: GODDAMIT. Just got off the phone with someone who basically told me that they no longer offer the free repair. She told me they could either replace my PS2 for $45 or repair it for $75. fuck that.

Congrats Sony, I concede.

I opened my PS2 to clean it and now it wont power on.

I think I ripped that little piece connected to the on button now what?

[quote name='Msut77']I opened my PS2 to clean it and now it wont power on.

I think I ripped that little piece connected to the on button now what?[/QUOTE]

I would say plug it back in. But if im correct about what you mean about "ripped" it, then ya sounds like you are screwed :whistle2:(.

Try to rearrange the laser lens back to the middle position (between the two screws). That does the trick for my PS2. And if you ripped off the white ribbon which connects to the Power button, you're screwed for real.

I'm having a problem with my PS2

I was watching 'Empire Strikes Back' and all of a sudden my PS2 shuts down and the Power button starts blinking.

If I let it sit for about 10min it goes back to normal. But when I go back to watching a movie it does it again after about 10min.

Any ideas why it would be doing this? Right now the only thing I can think of is it might be over heating.

ive bought like 3 ps2 so far i play so much i fuck up the lens lol and yes i tried to clean but it didnt work. so far my 3rd one is working ok...for now... :whistle2:/

I was playing Burnout 3 the other day, and all of the sudden the game froze (well, the music kept playing, but the screen froze and the controller stopped working) for several seconds. Some horrible gridning noises came out of the ps2 itself. After a few seconds, the game started working again. Then it happened a minute later with the same problem and same results. It happened again a few seconds later, and I turned off the ps2. Any idea what is going on here? I have never opened my ps2 up, and I've had it about 3 - 3.5 years.

[quote name='hutno']hes reffering to $10 for the shipping back to sony. Sony fixes DRE's for free assuming you havent opened up your ps2 and broke the seal, this extends beyond the standard warranty[/QUOTE]They do repair them for 10.00 only because they were sued for selling faulty lasers that weren't adjusted right!!! lol

Mine isn't necessarily broken, I just can't play Xenosaga Episode I on it.

Is this a problem caused by my older model PS2, or could it be a problem with the game itself? I bought it used from a guy.

Do you think it's worth sending my PS2 in to get it fixed if there's something wrong with the system?

Ok, I know my PS2 isn't broken, but I have a question about it. My games/dvds/cds all load slowly. I can have a game in the system and start it and it will go to the system menu and then load a second or two later. Should I clean the laser with one of those little cloth disc things or do something else? My PS2 has worked perfectly since I got it, and that was nearly three years ago.

My track record is 1 fixed PS2.
I was thinking about sending it in, but decided that I could do it myself. I was right, but it was a pain in the ass. I would definatly suggest sending it in to Sony.

[quote name='Serahe']My track record is 1 fixed PS2.
I was thinking about sending it in, but decided that I could do it myself. I was right, but it was a pain in the ass. I would definatly suggest sending it in to Sony.[/QUOTE]

Did you just have to adjust the radial wheel? If so, those are pretty easy. I've fixed about five PS2s with doing that alone. I'll be trying it out again tonight on my new PS2. God, I hope all goes well.

[quote name='asuitor']This section I am opening up for PS2 repair. This section was created to help people out who have a broken PS2 or one that is on its death bed. Hopefully we can save people money and headaches here. Below are a few links to get people started if you have specific questions post them here. I have repaired 8 PS2s now and can answer and troubleshoot many problems. With the help of the CAG community we can work together to fix dead PS2s around the world.

Laser DRE and other related Laser problems go here:
http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/laserPS2.htm
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/playstation2_sony_repair.txt

A forum for PS2 problems:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/66202

If all else fails post here and I am sure people from CAG will help you out[/QUOTE]
Dear Seller ,

I am Sharon Suzie Joy by my name am from United State, I saw your item which I have interesting on it I would like to buy it for my younger brother in African Nigeria which I would like you to ship it to this address.

C/O BAYO
NO 111 ELELENWO OASISS
OLD REFINERY ROAD PORT HARCOURT
RIVERS STATE
NIGERIA.
234-8032694490

Please send me your full name, postal address zipcode and country with you phone number to enable me make the payment through paypal to you immediatelly. Rememeber to include the shipment charges along with the amounth.

I will be waiting for your details to enable me make the effect payment to you through paypal.

Thanks

sHARON sUZIE rOSE
[email protected]

[quote name='rose']Dear Seller ,

I am Sharon Suzie Joy by my name am from United State, I saw your item which I have interesting on it I would like to buy it for my younger brother in African Nigeria which I would like you to ship it to this address.

C/O BAYO
NO 111 ELELENWO OASISS
OLD REFINERY ROAD PORT HARCOURT
RIVERS STATE
NIGERIA.
234-8032694490

Please send me your full name, postal address zipcode and country with you phone number to enable me make the payment through paypal to you immediatelly. Rememeber to include the shipment charges along with the amounth.

I will be waiting for your details to enable me make the effect payment to you through paypal.

Thanks

sHARON sUZIE rOSE
[email protected][/QUOTE]

......................:lol:

Sharon Suzie Joy..................:lol:

Dear Seller..................:lol:

Damn Nigerian Scammers, never thought i would see the day one would show up on CAG.

Oh, and Sony said they wouldnt fix my Ps2 for free.............BASTARDS!

alright could someone tell me how to fix the wire that conects the top shell to the bottom shell because it disconnected and now it won't even turn on...

and i tohught that deal with sony ended in april. now you have to pay for it right?

any one know anything about optical out problems? The audio from the regular cable works fine however the optical out audio cuts in and out. Its not the cable nor reciever, both have been tested. I also took a can of compressed air and squirted it in the optical output on the system to remove any dust. No luck though. Anyone have any ideas???

i fuckin hate sony, tim on my third ps2 the 2nd one they replaced, now a year later it doesnt readf shit and they want to charge me. garbage, i certainly wont be buying a pos ps3 for along ass time f them.

now im off to crack the warranty seal and try and fix itmyself, bollocks to sony.

I think that the spindle inside my ps2 is broken, it wouldn't read discs with the system horizontally, so I was able to get it to play vertically for about 6 months, and I have the DRE on cd games, but dvd games still play, I can hear the discs wobble and they come out of the system with scratches on them, does anyone know what it takes to replace this?

Any one have any idea how to fix or if its possible to fix a jammed disc tray? I bought this thing for $10 at a gargage sale and wanted to be able to use it. I can take pictures if anyone would like me to btw.

I recently dropped my PS2...and upon starting it back up, I found that when the drive tray opened...it would have difficulty going back in. I have to wiggle the tray to get it back in. I have never opened up my PS2 before, so I really don't know what to do. Any help from the CAG crew would be appreciated thanks

Ant

[quote name='Skycaptain99']I recently dropped my PS2...and upon starting it back up, I found that when the drive tray opened...it would have difficulty going back in. I have to wiggle the tray to get it back in. I have never opened up my PS2 before, so I really don't know what to do. Any help from the CAG crew would be appreciated thanks

Ant[/QUOTE]

This happened to me, so what I did was open it up, you do that from the bottom by taking those plastic square things off, then once u unscrew that, you have to unscrew the top of the dvd drive, once inside there, look towars the front of the PS2 and you should see some white thing, lol sry for not being very helpful in names, but try pushing that to your left, because when that happened to mine, it just got wedged in there and thats why the disc try wouldn't close. Hope that helps a lil bit lol.

I remember the day my PS2 got DRE... She was never the same... Once day it got to be too much and I just had to put her down... :(

I'm having some trouble with my ps2. I have a flip top for it, and when I try to put in the cd version boot disk, it takes FOREVER to load. And when it does finally load, some backups work fine, and some give me a red screen. Are there any fixes for this?

I have a PS2 that spins the disc really fast and loud when one is inserted. It never loads what's in it, it just stays on the browser screen.

I know the problem isnt the magnet because I switched it out with the one from my working PS2 and still got the same problem. Any ideas?

I've had mine for about two years. I bought it used, and it worked until a week ago. I had rented 2 games from blockbuster. They played fine, but now all of my other games won't work. What should I do?

thanks!

[quote name='Backlash']I was playing Burnout 3 the other day, and all of the sudden the game froze (well, the music kept playing, but the screen froze and the controller stopped working) for several seconds. Some horrible gridning noises came out of the ps2 itself. After a few seconds, the game started working again. Then it happened a minute later with the same problem and same results. It happened again a few seconds later, and I turned off the ps2. Any idea what is going on here? I have never opened my ps2 up, and I've had it about 3 - 3.5 years.[/QUOTE]

Similar problem here: whenever I play Mercenaries, and after a while the soundtrack starts looping. Then it'll start glitching and freezing and making this annoying noise. Also, it takes a while to load the game. Seems to work fine for other games/movies. The problem was worse when my PS2 was vertical, but it still sucks. I've also had the system for 3 years without problems, and I don't want to make it worse by going into it myself, unless it's easy. Advice?

[quote name='m0nkeybl1tz']Similar problem here: whenever I play Mercenaries, and after a while the soundtrack starts looping. Then it'll start glitching and freezing and making this annoying noise. Also, it takes a while to load the game. Seems to work fine for other games/movies. The problem was worse when my PS2 was vertical, but it still sucks. I've also had the system for 3 years without problems, and I don't want to make it worse by going into it myself, unless it's easy. Advice?[/QUOTE]

If it only happens for that game then it is most likely the game at fault. Anyway, get a microfiber cloth and clean your disk and clean the ps2 lense with some alcohol and a q-tip.

I picked up a cheap PS2 just to mess around with. It reads CDs and blue discs fine but can not read DVD games/DVDs. I've tried cleaning the lense and messing around with the position of the laser and the slant but nothing's worked. Going to try adjusting the pots which control resistance/voltage.

***Caution: adjusting the resistance can lead to faster death of laser***But my view is if you have a dre ps2, you really don't have much to lose.

Edit: Adjusted the pot and now the PS2 can read PS2 and DVDs after it gets to the browser screen. Most sites say to open up the ps2 and gain access to the pots by removing the expansion bay and working on the bottom. This was incredibly difficult. A shortcut would to just remove the two screws that secure the two rods that the laser sits on. Once you remove them, you can just take the laser off the rod and flip it upside down. (Side note: working on the ps2 upside down, I could see that the prizm inside this laser was extremely dirty. I didn't attempt to clean it though since it seemed kind of risky)

Here are two sites that I found really helpful (Read up on the posts, study the pics and have an idea of what you have to do before you actually perform the steps):

www.cyber-mag.com
www.vandrunen.net

If you have a multimeter adjusting the pots will be less hazardous. The first site has a range of values/ohms that you can set the pots to. I did it without a multimeter and from my guess, I turned the pot less than 1 mm. Since the ps2 isn't reading DVDs perfectly yet, I may get a multimeter and check the resistance before adjusting it further.

Good luck.

Hey, I have a ps2 that, from the few discs I've tried, only reads the dvd discs. I tried two blue discs and neither of them worked. But then when I tried a dvd game disc, it worked and so did a dvd. So should I bother ripping the ps2 apart to see what's wrong with it, or should I find a laser cleaner? What actions should I take towards this?

Need help!

My sister's PS2 is no longer working. I power it on and the green light comes on, but the blue eject disc tray light doesn't. The fan comes on but nothing shows up on the TV screen.
It doesn't eject. I've opened it and got the demo disc out but still didn't work. Is it fried?

Hi guys... I have pretty much given up on this problem so I dont think anyone here can help me. But I was performing a laser clean on my PS2 one day when I had to be a retard and accidentally yank the top case piece off too hard. THe silver wires between the PS2 lights and the PS2 broke off completely seperating the top/bottom pieces. I think they just came out of the top part (dont think the wires literally broke). I really dont think anyone can fix this but I figures its worth a shot. Pls help!!

Anyone having problems playing THAW on the slim PS2?

I have not tried other games on the system yet but when I stick THAW in it it will start up skipping and then freeze. My copy of THAW is brand new. I was just wondering could this be the end of my ps2? I cleaned the lens and the disc already.

Thanks for this thread OP...

the problem im having is constant freezing of games when i'm playing them and when i turn on the my ps2 with a game already in it... it will first go to the browser screen and after what seems liek forever it will show the disk and when i press x to launch it the screen goes bacl for a few minutes and then it returns to the browser screen.

Can anyone tell me what problem i have ( i think it might be the lazer but im not sure) Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

[quote name='onetrackmind']Thanks for this thread OP...

the problem im having is constant freezing of games when i'm playing them and when i turn on the my ps2 with a game already in it... it will first go to the browser screen and after what seems liek forever it will show the disk and when i press x to launch it the screen goes bacl for a few minutes and then it returns to the browser screen.

Can anyone tell me what problem i have ( i think it might be the lazer but im not sure) Any help is appreciated. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Yeah, you've got a dying laser. This happened to one of mine and I ended up replacing the PS2. You could try adjusting the voltage to the laser to make it last a little longer, but I wouldn't. If you haven't tried cleaning the laser lens, you could do that.

[quote name='Warner1281']Yeah, you've got a dying laser. This happened to one of mine and I ended up replacing the PS2. You could try adjusting the voltage to the laser to make it last a little longer, but I wouldn't. If you haven't tried cleaning the laser lens, you could do that.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the response... i really apprecate it!

So i basically have two options... sending it to sony to be repaired or buying a new system.

Ok well my disc drive was pulled out while it was open(i guess too far) because now it wont close. Anyway to fix this?

[quote name='mentos888']does sony still do free repairs as described in the gamefaqs faq (if u have a DRE)?[/QUOTE]

I got the same question.
Or can someone get me the number to call so i can check?

[quote name='mentos888']does sony still do free repairs as described in the gamefaqs faq (if u have a DRE)?[/QUOTE]

Nope :cry:

They stopped doing this in April of 2005. I can confirm this because I actually called to get mine fixed and I missed the cutoff date by 2 days. Bummer.

There are some good places online that you can send it to get fixed. There are a couple that don't charge if they can't fix it too.

Hi. My PS2 was having problems reading any disc whatsoever. In desperation I put some compressed air into it without opening it up. It seems to have worked, it plays all discs now.

My cousins PS2 would not play blue discs. I tried the same method, but now it does not read discs at all. I've read a few guides, opened it up, cleaned the laser, adjusted the height. No go. I'm not sure if this helps, but at the start up screen, there is only one big circle. On any working PS2, the circles go around in ... well, circles.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

My brother has a very old PS2 I picked up a copy of DDR 2 for his daughters to play went over to his house we tried putting the game in but, the CD tray wouldn't open, it’s been have problems open for a while. I went ahead took it out to the garage and opened it up to take a look. After working on it a bit I figured that the motor wasn't strong enough to pull away from the white piece that hold the CD down when the door is close, I went ahead and pull the metal slug out of the white piece and replaced it with a washer from an old pair on mountain bike brake pads (curved one used for adjusting the toe-in on the Pads). Now the door opens just fine plus it was a really cheep fix. The way I figure in the magnetic force between the spindle and the white piece is reduce since there's less material in the washer vs the original metal slug.

[quote name='Weedy649']Ok well my disc drive was pulled out while it was open(i guess too far) because now it wont close. Anyway to fix this?[/QUOTE]

If the tray doesn't close complete you can open the system eight screws on the bottom hidden under little plastic squares once you have it open remove the top of the drive (four small screws). Once the tops off there are two small screws on the left that hold the tray in place remove them and and slide the tray out you'll need to tilt the tray at a 45 degree angle to remove it at this point you should be able to realign the tray so it close properly.

bread's done
Back