PS2 Repair thread

sony stopped repairing DRE ps2? I have v9 or 10 and just started gettting the read errors on dvds and ps1 discs. Am i screwed? Returned one years ago for DRE's and everything word out great (after I sold the returned ps2 and bought a brand new one) until now....

[quote name='videogamejunkie']sony stopped repairing DRE ps2? I have v9 or 10 and just started gettting the read errors on dvds and ps1 discs. Am i screwed? Returned one years ago for DRE's and everything word out great (after I sold the returned ps2 and bought a brand new one) until now....[/quote]

Yeah, they stopped doing this a while ago now. Your best bet is to try and trade it into EB/GS and hope they don't check whethr it plays discs. If they take it, then take the credit they give you and apply it to a new PS2 (slim is preferred... doesn't get DRE's AFAIK). Then you only have to come up with $50 instead of $115.

My PS2 is getting loads of disc read errors on video games. It will play Amplitude and Guitar Hero correctly, but I can't get it to play any of the other games I have. I've played most of them before, too. I can hear the game skip everytime it goes around whenever I try to start it, and it even does it with brand new games.

What should I do?

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']DRE's are very very easy to fix.[/QUOTE]

What's DRE? Please help.
My PS2 doesn't load the games. Any suggestions on what to do? I tried opening my PS2 but I don't know where to start. No screws. Besides trying to break the seal and try opening it in half. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

[quote name='Blade']My PS2 is getting loads of disc read errors on video games. It will play Amplitude and Guitar Hero correctly, but I can't get it to play any of the other games I have. I've played most of them before, too. I can hear the game skip everytime it goes around whenever I try to start it, and it even does it with brand new games.

What should I do?[/QUOTE]

Fix it. http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/ps2repair/

EDIT: Just finished fixing my PS2 with that guide. It wouldn't read blue discs or DVD movies, and now it only reads DVD movies and DVD ROM games. Oh well, I'd rather have DVD functionality than the ability to play PS1 games.

EDIT: So when I tried to hit eject, the button didn't work. I opened it back up, and i clipped the fucking wire. I'mk so fucking mad right now I could kill a baby.

OMG! I just killed my Playstation. I was playing with it opened (I had been in the process of fixing the DRE) and I accidently tipped the top over, which in turn took out the reset/open chord. I'm so mad right now. Is there ANYWAY to fix this? I probably can't get 10 bucks for it now...

By the way, it's not ripped, it's just been pulled out, but I can't tell where to put it.

Hmm...can't really help any of you guys with the ripped out wire, but for all of those asking WTF it is, it's a thin silver wire that is attached from the side with the reset and open switch. BE CAREFUL!

Thanks to using links from this theard I fixed one of my broken PS2s and tested it out with a dvd and a blue cd and they both ran. Now I have to fix my second broken one.

Ok, so I have this PS2 (slimline, v12). It doesn't read any discs at all, but it's not a DRE. It appears that the disc drive isn't spinning the disc as the laser mechanism is functioning fine. Any way to fix a dead spindle or should I try and call Sony?

I have a problem. The controller port ribbon got out, and now I can't put it back in. Any advice on this one?

I have a slim PS2 model no. 70001 or 7001. Can someone tell me what problems exist with this model? I've notice something similar to a loud fan noise.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Fix it. http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/ps2repair/

EDIT: Just finished fixing my PS2 with that guide. It wouldn't read blue discs or DVD movies, and now it only reads DVD movies and DVD ROM games. Oh well, I'd rather have DVD functionality than the ability to play PS1 games.

EDIT: So when I tried to hit eject, the button didn't work. I opened it back up, and i clipped the fucking wire. I'mk so fucking mad right now I could kill a baby.[/quote]

I just got around to doing this. Thanks a lot Mr. Anderson, it took about ten minutes and now I can play everything.

:applause:

Hi all, i wanted to know if there is a playstation slim fix? Can this type of ps2 be fixed? Playstation 1 games work fine, but playstation 2 games don't, so i'm guessing the dvd rom doesn't work? Thanks and let me know.

Hey i was just wondering about how you guys use your 1gen PS2....do you lay it flat or keep it standing vertical. I still have my ORIGINAL PS2 from day one when they were launched. I have kept it vertical all these years and i have never encountered a single problem exect dust build up on the front vents and the fan in the back. I just use Duster to blow off the crap every few months. I have had it in the same exact spot the whole entire time. Occasionally i will shoot some Duster in through the door and over the magic gates to keep them clean. Funny thing is i bought another one about two years ago for down in the basement and that one had to go back to Sony once already. I dunno but my original is a tank. Even after the DVD driver uprgrade(with remote). Hell it might even outlive me. By the way....i called Sony and they sent me a postage paid package to ship my newest PS2 in, fixed and returned it postage paid to me in less than ten days. It only went somewhere in PA to get fixed. Apparently they have multiple centers nation wide to do these repairs.

Yay, so here's my story, most of it is my fault:

I bought a "modded" PS2 off Craigslist (doesn't play modded games, but the insides were tampered with) last month, and decided to take apart the case to check the mod. Note that before I took apart the case, the PS2 was working fine with official games.

After I took apart the case, a whole slew of problems started happening (this is what happened in order of events):

1. The PS2 would receive power, but the fan wouldn't spin, the power/eject buttons weren't responding, and the green light was just steady. So to fix this I unplugged the silver strip and plugged it back in again. Perfect.

2. Then the controller ports stopped working. So I tried to locate the cable for the controller port, and noticed that someone had placed 3 tiny Qtip stems under the plastic flap that held the controller cable. I took the Qtips out, re-secured the cable, put the Qtips back in. Then I re-secured the other end of the cable. Great, controllers worked again.

3. Memory card stopped working. This is an official PS2 memory card, so I rechecked the connections and replugged everything. Still not able to read the card.

4. Power failure altogether. No lights, no nothing. Then all of a sudden it'd jolt back on, auto ejecting the disc, then shut off. Rechecked all cable connections again.

5. Stupidity on my part: when checking the insides again left the power plug in, shocked myself. Not sure if I short circuited anything.

Keep in mind that everything worked perfectly before I took the case apart. Controllers, memory card, discs, power, etc. The only issue was that it wasn't able to play burned DVDs, which led me to believe it wasn't a modded PS2 (but when I opened it, there were definitely signs of someone else tampering with it).

So does anyone know the best way to fix my PS2? I can try and recheck all the cable connections and wires and everything, but I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: So I took it apart, fixed up all the problems, except the controller/memcard issue. Not sure if the connections are loose, or if I need a new cable. Anyone got any suggestions?

So, your best bet seems to be purchasing a new one. The PS2 is a delicate piece of hardware, not really designed for us mere mortals to play with the insides of. I played with mine just lastnight to fix some DREs (it worked) but it sounds like you had one that had been damaged quite a bit already.
Some things are best left to professionals, and sometimes it's best to just replace the machine.

Ok, guys. Long ago I had bought a refurbished ps2 from gamestop (BIG MISTAKE). Even when I first played it it presented me with some huge problems. I thought it was just the disks until i put in my brand new prince of persia game. I tried to poen it up and failed at edoing anything right with it. However, I did take the ribbbon out acidentally, and then it wouldn't turn on. I would never touch it again.

Fast forward. It is the year 2006 and i have a guy named Donnie fix it for me. Well, atleast the wire. He did get the ps2 power/eject ribbon to go back in for me somehow. He's a VERY handy guy though, he knows alot about electronics and computers, so i have no idea if you could do this on your own. Anyway, he plays it and it only works 5 minutes into the game before it gets DREs. He says he cleaned the laser and whatnot and that he did all that he could do. But he didn't do the imfamous DRE fix.

He's the thing about the PS2. It makes a horrid noise when you open the eject tray and it makes horrid noises while " reading " the disks. I hardley ever reads disks. Can the DRE fix fix any of these problems or is the lense just dead? I'm going to try it today and see what happens. Hopefully i will not take out the wire this time.

Keep in mind that everything worked perfectly before I took the case apart. Controllers, memory card, discs, power, etc. The only issue was that it wasn't able to play burned DVDs, which led me to believe it wasn't a modded PS2 (but when I opened it, there were definitely signs of someone else tampering with it).

Actually, it might have been. The PS2 drive is pretty picky about media. Some DVD-R or DVD+R brands don't work at all, while others will. Did you test out different brands? Even the programs you use to write the discs will affect compatibility.

Also, you should be able to see the modchip, as PS2 chips have 30+ wires that require soldering. If you didn't see it during all this, or a non-solder solution connected to the eject-ribbon, then I have no idea what mod your seller was advertising.

EDIT: So I took it apart, fixed up all the problems, except the controller/memcard issue. Not sure if the connections are loose, or if I need a new cable. Anyone got any suggestions?

The "Q-tip fix" sounds like whoever opened it before had no idea what they were doing. Take a look at the cable, is the clip on the cable or the retention bracket? If the retention bracket is broken, getting a new cable won't help. If the cable is broken, then getting a new cable MIGHT help. I believe the memory card and controller ports are part of the same assembly, so both problems might be fixed with this. I don't know anyone off the top of my head that sells parts, www.llama.com might though.

Where do you live? If you're close enough I might be able to take a look at it. I'm in Alhambra, PM me if you're interested.

It makes a horrid noise when you open the eject tray and it makes horrid noises while " reading " the disks. I hardley ever reads disks. Can the DRE fix fix any of these problems or is the lense just dead? I'm going to try it today and see what happens. Hopefully i will not take out the wire this time.

I wouldn't recommend opening it yourself. If you had trouble with the eject-ribbon, it isn't a good idea.

What kind of noise does it make? Is it a loud spinning noise or a grinding noise?

I don't think it's the lens, because there's no reason why it would make a horrible noise when you're ejecting the tray. Either the eject rails were degreased, or whoever put it back together (you or Donnie) forced the tray mechanism into a bad position, so it's completely misaligned. Instead of ejecting out straight, it tries to go at an angle. The DRE fix is only a laser calibration fix to read discs, it won't fix mechanical problems like this.

It had that problem AND it wouldn't read discs. Now, the noise isn't such a big problem for me. And it was making that noise long before i ever opened it.

So i did it. And it didn't work. It'll tell you this. At certain points it played Blue dics and regular PS2 games, but not DVDs. Whatever i'd try, i couldn't get it to play dvds. At first it wasn't doing much of anything until i cleaned and greased the rail, which is where i started really doing the DRE fix. IIt went on for about an hour and I got no where. I finally gave up on it. I might as well save the time and get a new one, becuase it's not worth the work. This one is dead to me.

I mean, it's bebtter than me going inside it again and fucking it up, riht? Maybe i should try it again and go on every notch on the cog this time. One of them has to play all three, damn it :(.

It had that problem AND it wouldn't read discs. Now, the noise isn't such a big problem for me. And it was making that noise long before i ever opened it.

I read the site someone else posted:

http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/ps2repair/

It appears that for whatever reason, the drive becomes misaligned by itself over time. If you can do the DRE fix, you can also do the drive alignment fix.

At certain points it played Blue dics and regular PS2 games, but not DVDs. Whatever i'd try, i couldn't get it to play dvds. At first it wasn't doing much of anything until i cleaned and greased the rail, which is where i started really doing the DRE fix. IIt went on for about an hour and I got no where. I finally gave up on it. I might as well save the time and get a new one, becuase it's not worth the work. This one is dead to me.

That's odd. You could probably fix it doing the DRE fix, by adjusting the pot bit by bit until it works, but to be honest, you shouldn't be using the PS2 (or any game console) to watch movies. The constant drive spinning will only serve to shorten the already short life of the DVD unit. You can get a $50 decent DVD player by companies like Toshiba at an every day price, and if that's too much, some stores are selling $30 units by companies like Philipps for $30.

If PS2 CD and DVD games work, then I don't see any reason to get a new system.

But problems like this are reasons why I never buy a used system unless it's from someone I know. This weekend, GameStop will give you an extra $20 bump for console trade ins if you do decide to trade it in. I think Best Buy will give you an extra dual shock controller for buying a new PS2 controller.

If you don't want it I'll take it off your hands. =)

Good luck!

i'll give you it for 30-60 dollars. Straight up, yo. I'm working on getting a 360 now. I've already missed the last generation screwing around, i don't want to miss this one.

lets make that around 25 bucks XD. I just checked ebay for broken ps2s and well...yeah >_>

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Ok, so I have this PS2 (slimline, v12). It doesn't read any discs at all, but it's not a DRE. It appears that the disc drive isn't spinning the disc as the laser mechanism is functioning fine. Any way to fix a dead spindle or should I try and call Sony?[/quote]

I actually ran into this same exact problem afew weeks back and called sony and they said I could send mine in and get a refurbed one for 45 or they could fix mine for 65 and it would take longer...I still haven't sent it in. Wondering if anyone actually repaired it themselves.

My PS2 has always worked fine, but started acting up a couple days ago. I'm playing X-Men Legends II and now the action freezes sometimes when there's a lot of action going on on-screen. The background music continues, but I'm guessing that that's pre-loaded.

The game disc itself is completely clean and scratch-free.

There's no pattern to how long it'll go before freezing - sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes an hour - but it happens every time now.

I haven't been able to replicate the error with any other games (yet - I haven't had much time to try this).

The only other new piece of equipment that I'm using is one of those compressed memory cards - could it possibly be a corrupt save?

Thanks for any ideas/help.

[quote name='SkylineChili4Me']My PS2 has always worked fine, but started acting up a couple days ago. I'm playing X-Men Legends II and now the action freezes sometimes when there's a lot of action going on on-screen. The background music continues, but I'm guessing that that's pre-loaded.
[/QUOTE]
I think it's something with X-Men Legends II. I had the same problem with that game, but have had no problems at all with any other game. It didn't matter whether I played it from the disc or from the hard drive, it still froze. This was several months ago, and my PS2 has been fine playing other games ever since.

The background music continues, but I'm guessing that that's pre-loaded.

Sounds like a problem with the game's actual programming, not one with the PS2 or the disc itself. oremites confirms this as he plays from both disc and hard drive.

I'm a victim of the dreaded DRE for like the 4th time now and my PS2 is out of warranty so my only options are buying a refurb one for $45 or buy a new one for $130. My question is are the refurbs durable or will I just be sending it back? Also, if I send in my fat PS2 will they send me a refurb fat model or a slim line model?

On a side note, the weird thing is that the thing plays PS1 games but no PS2 games. I haven't tried any DVDs with it since it started acting up.

Refurbs vary in quality, especially since there are about a dozen different models of the fat PS2 which can have quite an affect on the longevity of the console. I don't know who you're trading your fat PS2 in to (if you're selling it I might take it off your hands if it's cheap enough) so I can't comment on their warranties for refurbs or their policies for trade-ins, but generally speaking, you should be able to choose which model you receive although you might have to pay the difference if the slim PStwo costs more.

It's a laser calibration issue. Most PS2 games are on DVDs, and PS1 games are all CDs. If you're adventurous, you could take it apart, but you might do serious harm if you don't know what you're doing in which case the trade-in value will plummet.

[quote name='espy605']Refurbs vary in quality, especially since there are about a dozen different models of the fat PS2 which can have quite an affect on the longevity of the console. I don't know who you're trading your fat PS2 in to (if you're selling it I might take it off your hands if it's cheap enough) so I can't comment on their warranties for refurbs or their policies for trade-ins, but generally speaking, you should be able to choose which model you receive although you might have to pay the difference if the slim PStwo costs more.

It's a laser calibration issue. Most PS2 games are on DVDs, and PS1 games are all CDs. If you're adventurous, you could take it apart, but you might do serious harm if you don't know what you're doing in which case the trade-in value will plummet.[/quote] I was talking about sending it in to Sony. They said that I could buy a refurb for $45 or get mine fixed for$65(I think).

[quote name='espy605']Before you buy a refurb ask them what their warranty on it is.[/quote] It's a 90 day warranty. Is there any way to buy a longer one? With 3 or 4 DRE's in the bag I have a feeling this will happen again.

I called Sony and I think I'm going to send in my PS2. It's $45 plus tax. I hate that I have to pay to get a system back in working order just because Sony couldn't get it right the first time, or the second, or the third...

Edit: Alright, I just sent it out. I hope I didn't screw up Sony's complex instructions.

did you have send out your broken one? i have a broken ps2 but doesnt have the warrenty sticker you think it might work if i say i have a DRE?

[quote name='30189']did you have send out your broken one? i have a broken ps2 but doesnt have the warrenty sticker you think it might work if i say i have a DRE?[/quote] Yeah, I sent in my broken PS2. You could say you have a DRE(what is the real problem?), but they might see that it's not the case when they get it and then they'll just send it back.

My PS2 is pretty old. It was the last of the first ones to come to Australia in a shipment ages ago, and it has been my closest friend ever since. :lol: Anyhow, over time, and much use, it has collected a lot of dust.

My Dad reckons the reason it isn't working is because the dust has clogged up the laser that reads the discs, and he went to open it up and clean everything out, but in order to get into the right components, he needs to undo these screws that are too small for anything he has to undo.

So, what do you think? Send it in for repairs and a second opinion on the diagnosis or try getting it done at home first off, and shell out more money later?

Opening up the PS2 makes any warranty you have void and might prevent them from doing repairs. They asked me if I'd ever opened it up and I paid for my repair.

You may be right though, that was why my PS2 screwed up the first time, I set it on the floor and it was sucking in dirt and dust.

in my experience i have found that dust has been the source of almost all my DRE problems. To solve it, I bought a can of compressed air. Now when i get the message, i just open the disk drive, spray the air in it to dust it, and then it usually works fine.

I've never had any DREs, but I'm noticing a problem now.
I can't use controllers.
The last time I played, was a month or so ago, and I played Guitar Hero II with the guitar in port 1.
Now, however, I'm trying to play a regular game. My dog had chewed thru my DS2 cord, so I had to get another one. I've tried three (non-Sony) controllers, and none of them have worked, though when I put the guitar back in, it works. The controllers' analog light lit up, so it's got a connection, but none of the buttons or sticks do anything. Is this simply why it's good to avoid non-OEM/approved accessories, or is there some worse problem? I don't want to spend ~100 bucks on a replacement Ps2, and I can't spend the 600 on a PS3 now, plus it's not 100% backward compatible, is it?

For those of you with DRE's, this is the FAQ on opening up the PS2 that I've used for a couple years now. It also helps that one of the small game shops here used to do fixes on systems and I watched the guy opening up NUMEROUS PS2 and Xbox systems. Of course, I've been opening my systems up since the Genesis AT LEAST.

Here's the FAQ I've been using(great for older model 'fat' PS2s):
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

While that FAQ above shows you how to open your system and adjust the height wheel on the PS2, I'd only recommend the height adjustment for the laser as a LAST resort, as adjusting it too high can cause disc scratching and the laser to burn out QUICKER.

Simply use that FAQ as a guide to get the laser cover off and use a q tip moistened with rubbing alcohol to clean the lens. Then, follow the steps in reverse to close it back up.

Make sure when you open your older model PS2 that you mark down where each screw came from, so you don't accidentally put a long screw in a short screws hole and right through the motherboard.

Also, if you want a really CHEAP way to get all that dust from the 'grill' under your controller ports and disc tray, try gently inserting a soft bristle toothbrush into the grill and gently turning it towards you.

Here's another point that should save MANY 'screwed' PS2s from occuring. You know that silver ribbon cable that connects the reset/eject button assembly to the rest of the PS2(and the 'lid/top' of the PS2 to the rest of it)?

That can be simply re inserted gently under the right side of the PS2 from the perspective of the disc tray facing you. All you have to do is look for the proper slot/opening it goes in. Voila, no more screwed reset/eject button. I'd definitely suggest borrowing a gf/wifes tweezers for the delicate job of re inserting the cable though, as it's frustrating without the proper tools.

Of course, if you want an EASIER way to avoid that problem altogether, try sliding a flathead screwdriver up under the SIDE of the button assembly which is kind of a snug spot and GENTLY push up on the screwdriver. With enough pressure, the button assembly will 'pop' out of the 'lid' of the PS2 and you can put the top of the system off to the side and not need to worry about messing up the reset cable again.

I've taken at least one PS2 down to base components before(I'm talking like ALL APART) and I put it back together and it still worked. So, I'd like to think that I have SOME experience with these things.

BTW, if you hear a grinding noise, that's possibly the laser scratching your discs. A rubbing noise when the tray is going in or out of the system? That's because all of the lubrication on the tray mechanism is dried up/gunked up.

The same can be said if you hear a clicking noise when your PS2 is trying to read a disc, as the rails the laser slides on may be all gunked up. If you open the PS2 and see white lumps of something on the silver rails the laser slides on, wipe that off there and using a lint free rag or q tip, moisten the rag or q tip with a silicone lubricant and generously(not so generously you see it dripping off the rails) re lube the rails.

As far as burnt out or malfunctioning controller ports go, they're readily available on many sites for as cheap as $5 and as much as $18. Most sites will offer free shipping with the $18 ports. Although, most times all a system needs is a little tlc to get working again and doesn't even NEED a replacement part.

Here's at least one site I've seen replacement parts on, but I'm sure you guys and gals can Google some more, right?

www.richspsxparts.com

Of course, if you're too afraid to take apart your own system, you could pay Sony to do it FOR you. It's 'only' $45 for a replacement(refurb system) or $75 for repairs to yours. Their number is 1-800-345-SONY.

Good luck with all of your repairs, my fellow CAGs and I certainly hope this info and link to the FAQ I've been using all along has helped you in some small way.

Oh and anyone with a 50001 model PS2 doesn't even NEED to worry about the reset/eject cables, as they're part of the main set up of the system and not attached to the top of the system anymore. Just be careful taking that top part off.

Do you guys know anywhere to get a cheap replacement lens for a ps2? The only ones that I've seen are atleast $50. I'm trying to repair a 30001 model ps2 I got from a garage sale for $5. I can't send it to sony for repairs since it already had the warranty sticker removed. I've already tried cleaning it without success. Right now it doesn't read anything. I've also tried messing with that white cog, but that returns to its original position when I power it up.

Honestly, unless you know of a local game shop that sells 'iffy' PS2s that you could buy for next to nothing for parts, the ONLY route to go is buying a brand new laser for $40-50.

I mean, you only paid $5 for the system itself, so to get a fully working(I'm assuming you tested the controller/memory card ports, right?)PS2 for under $70 is a bonus imo.

I actually have a 30001R I bought from a small shop here. I bought it for the controller/memory card ports originally, but later on found out that the entire system works, bonus for me I suppose.

The site I mentioned in my post above yours should help you to get a laser to put in that $5 PS2 and help you to get years of use out of it. However, you may want to readjust that 'cog' back down to the lowest possible setting if/when you replace the laser, as I had another 30001 that scratched my discs all up from a misaligned laser due to the prior owner tinkering with that height adjustment wheel.

Here's another FAQ on how to open up and clean the PS2s laser that I found on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhof6WtePyM

It's actually quite nice to SEE how to open the PS2 in streaming video as opposed to pictures.

Again, good luck to all who open up their systems and I hope some of what I've typed up helps.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Honestly, unless you know of a local game shop that sells 'iffy' PS2s that you could buy for next to nothing for parts, the ONLY route to go is buying a brand new laser for $40-50.

I mean, you only paid $5 for the system itself, so to get a fully working(I'm assuming you tested the controller/memory card ports, right?)PS2 for under $70 is a bonus imo.

I actually have a 30001R I bought from a small shop here. I bought it for the controller/memory card ports originally, but later on found out that the entire system works, bonus for me I suppose.

The site I mentioned in my post above yours should help you to get a laser to put in that $5 PS2 and help you to get years of use out of it. However, you may want to readjust that 'cog' back down to the lowest possible setting if/when you replace the laser, as I had another 30001 that scratched my discs all up from a misaligned laser due to the prior owner tinkering with that height adjustment wheel.

Here's another FAQ on how to open up and clean the PS2s laser that I found on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhof6WtePyM

It's actually quite nice to SEE how to open the PS2 in streaming video as opposed to pictures.

Again, good luck to all who open up their systems and I hope some of what I've typed up helps.[/QUOTE]

The system appears to be fine except for the dvd drive. I'm able to navigate the browser and access a memory card. The only place I could get another ps2 for parts is a pawn shop where I got my broken xbox (picked it up to fix and mod). I doubt they would have any that would be that good. There might be an electronics shop in town that would game parts, but I haven't been there yet. I had a guy recommend the place to me.

I've tried adjusting that cod and it doesn't appear to do anything. It just goes back to the original spot after I start it up. I'm hoping I can get this working. If I can, I plan on modding it so I can do imports. I don't want to do any modding to my slim ps2. Thanks for the youtube link. I'll take a look.

I got rid of my slim(model 75001) in favor of a 50001 'fat' PS2, which I plan on using a HDD with, to reduce the wear and tear on the laser in it.

I still say I should get together the money and offer simple PS2 repairs for everything from replacing the battery on the motherboard to cleaning the lens to all the other crap people just don't wanna try on their own.

I know I could make a mint doing it, since so many people are afraid of opening their systems, outta fear of 'screwing something up'. I can't count how many times someone told me on here that they couldn't shut down their PS2 because the 'ribbon' came out from the reset button and they didn't know where to put it back into.

I guess it must be infinitely hard to simply look under the side of the system till you find the right spot. Either way......I REALLY should do this, since most of the problems with the PS2s I've seen are MINOR. Although it is true that lasers DO eventually go, you can usually get a GOOD 4-5 years out of them.

And believe me, the $45-50 investment for a new laser is nothing, considering the usual longevity of the new parts.

Here's the page that tells you which version PS2 you have and which replacement laser you'll need: http://www.richspsxparts.com/version.html

My cat knocked my PS2 down from a shelf five feet in the air and onto a hard lamenated floor. It actually broke into pieces (no kidding). I was able to fix most of my problems with a little common sense and by following the links listed here, and now my PS2 actually works better than it did before the fall! However, there are now a few pieces missing from inside, and I don't know how that will turn out in the long run).

Hey, if it actually works, then that's all that matters, since Sony hardware isn't 100% reliable to begin with. If you actually have problems with it again, try sending it to Sony, but ummm don't tell them about the mishap and for $45 they'll replace it or $75 they'll repair it.

Oh and Erehwon, you CAN send that garage sale PS2 into Sony, but just play dumb when they ask about the warranty seal. Otherwise, they WILL hang up on you. For a total of $50(plus shipping), you could own a working PS2 or just choose to get a laser and replace it yourself, since it'd be about the same cost.

Either way....good luck again.

Whats up everyone?

I recently opened my PS2 (Fat) to mess with the cog so it would read blue discs. However, the silver ribbon that connects into the eject and power button disconnected from the ps2 (not where it connects to the eject buttons) I know where the slot to fit it in is, but I cannot get it to go back in and stay there. If anybody that can give me suggestions on fixing this I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

::Update::

I taped down the ribbon to try to get in to stay in place. Now the red light is on when i turn on my ps2 but i cant get the system to run (make the light green) or the disc to eject

::Update::

I looked at the ribbon carefully and there seems to be a small hole where the contact is. Could this be why it wont run or open the tray?

Hi I had the disk read error for a long time and just recently I found a great tutorial in a tech support that helped me fix my console they have step by step information and photos. They solution for other problems too!

Here is the page for PS2 Repair

Good luck

Leroy

Nice way to spam a site there, Gamerx, though that's about ALL the DRE fix is worth really($20), which is why it shocks me that people send their system into Sony and pay $75 for the repairs.

And, Domikaze, I had a PS2 a while ago with a hole in the ribbon cable and that WAS the problem that caused no video to display on the screen.

Just Google PS2 replacement parts and find a site selling that cable for cheap to replace your own. And....try re inserting that cable with a pair of tweezers next time, as they really help.

So, after sending my PS2 in to be fixed annually since 2003, I decided to fix the damn thing myself. Now, the guides that have you turning the white gear say that when you turn it, you can see the lens move up or down. I could see no such movement. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

bread's done
Back