PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

[quote name='gorgonzola238']I know when you transfer PS2 memory card info over, it creates a virtual memory card. I remember reading around launch time, if you had multiple cards, it would create multiple virtual cards. For example: If you have two PS2 memory cards, it will create 2 Virtual Memory cards. Is that still the case or is there a way to set the size for a PS2 Virtual card and dump all the contents there?[/quote]The virtual mem cards stay the standard sizes, but you can create as many as you want.

Does anybody know if Sony plans to add DivX/Avi support in the future? I'd really love to see this and I'd have no reason to keep my old Xbox around if they did.

I called Sony Style about the extended warranty & was told PS3 is NOT covered.I said the site took my info and plan was in cart & that other people claim to have purchased plan.Rep told me the transaction would go thru,but would be eventually rejected by Service Net Solutions,the warranty provider.I had her double check with manager.She verified with manager & said they had no plans to offer PS3 extended warranty.

[quote name='bvcxz11']I called Sony Style about the extended warranty & was told PS3 is NOT covered.I said the site took my info and plan was in cart & that other people claim to have purchased plan.Rep told me the transaction would go thru,but would be eventually rejected by Service Net Solutions,the warranty provider.I had her double check with manager.She verified with manager & said they had no plans to offer PS3 extended warranty.[/quote]Looks like either she's full of shit, or the two people I've dealt with are full of shit. :whistle2:s

[quote name='SpikeSpiegel']Does anybody know if Sony plans to add DivX/Avi support in the future? I'd really love to see this and I'd have no reason to keep my old Xbox around if they did.[/QUOTE]

I wish. MKV, OGM, etc. support would be really nice too.

Just bought my PS3 tonight. I just have a couple of questions now about the cables.

1) I saw the links to the monoprice cables, but is there a "better or best" cable to get? Or is there specific ones that work/don't work with the PS3?

2) I have an optical port on my tv as well as 3 HDMI ports. What exactly does the optical port do? Do I need optical cables to get good sound quality or something?

3) I bought some component cables for $15 (after a RW coupon) just so I wasn't playing with the standard composite cables. Is the picture quality going to be significant between the two or should I just use the composites until I get my HDMI cable?

I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions, but this thread has been great so far. Thanks for the help.

[quote name='PapiChullo']Just bought my PS3 tonight. I just have a couple of questions now about the cables.

1) I saw the links to the monoprice cables, but is there a "better or best" cable to get? Or is there specific ones that work/don't work with the PS3?

2) I have an optical port on my tv as well as 3 HDMI ports. What exactly does the optical port do? Do I need optical cables to get good sound quality or something?

3) I bought some component cables for $15 (after a RW coupon) just so I wasn't playing with the standard composite cables. Is the picture quality going to be significant between the two or should I just use the composites until I get my HDMI cable?

I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions, but this thread has been great so far. Thanks for the help.[/quote]

1) Nope. All you need is a Male/Male cable. The only thing that would make one better then another would be the length and what you need.

Depending on your tv size, you shouldn't see that much of a difference between component and HDMI.

However, the huge advantage HDMI has is that it upscales your DVDs.

Oh, and the optical out is if you have a speaker receiver. You hook an optical cable from the PS3 to the receiver to achieve surround sound.

Man, I love monoprice. Went ahead and order a 10ft. HDMI and I already have a tracking number for my shipment, less than a half hour later. Great service.

I plan on upgrading my hard drive in the near future, is there a way to transfer everything I have from the HD I have right now to the one im going to be getting? I don't want to lose all my shared downloaded games and such

[quote name='chodax']I plan on upgrading my hard drive in the near future, is there a way to transfer everything I have from the HD I have right now to the one im going to be getting? I don't want to lose all my shared downloaded games and such[/quote]

i've asked this Q b4 also....and it looks like the option for now is just dl everything again :whistle2:(

[quote name='177adjen17']i've asked this Q b4 also....and it looks like the option for now is just dl everything again :whistle2:([/quote]

I'll look at it again but... There is a backup feature, though I've never used it.

As far as games/demos, I THINK yes that is only way you can get them back (download again).

But for videos/music/images you can use the backup feature.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I'll look at it again but... There is a backup feature, though I've never used it.

As far as games/demos, I THINK yes that is only way you can get them back (download again).

But for videos/music/images you can use the backup feature.[/quote]

That stinks, I should upgrade the HD sooner I guess than later when I have tons of shared games

is there a way to disable the sound from playing for each game during menu navigation on the XMB. I dont mind the background change but sometimes the music is a little annoying.

Thanks

1.does the bluray remote control do anything extra that the ps3 controller doesnt? I bought the ps2 remote and never used it since the ps2 controller did everything that it did.

2. after transferring your ps2/1 saves with the playstation 3 memory card adapter, is there any reason to keep the memory card adaptor and memory cards? Can I save them to memory stick/sd after?

i think since the remote is also bluetooth, you can keep your controller charged and just take the remote with you if you're gonna sit away from the system. Other than that I guess it's just easier to find options and functions on the remote. That and you don't really have to point the remote anywhere since it is bluetooth (again, i think).

as for the memory card adapter, I believe you can also back up your hard drive virtual memory cards back onto a physical memory card through the adapter now.

[quote name='Halo05']Uppercut him in the face. That way you're communicating, "I hate you and you're getting punched."[/quote]

so i guess that means there is no in game communication... which sucks balls...

I've got underscan on my ps2 and ps1 games on component cable running at 1080p. Is this normal? How can I adjust to fill the screen?

[quote name='guyver2077']so i guess that means there is no in game communication... which sucks balls...[/QUOTE]

I have no idea, I'm still waiting on my PS3 to arrive. Anyone else? Chatting in MK2?

MK2 has no voice chat (no Midway games do). The reason is that to implement voicechat in PS3 online games isn't easy to do and costly. If MKII and other Midway games were to have voicechat, its development costs would greatly increase (causing the game to be much more than it is now). There is no easy way for developers to implement voice chat, which is why its mostly in Sony's first/second party PSN games for now (although Tekken 5 DR uses it). Meh, matches are so short, I don't really care, since the game is only $5.

I have both MKII and Rampage World Tour. I still love both though.

I already have my PS3, and was wondering where to get a HDMI cable in my area for cheap, in case I don't feel like waiting another week for it.

[quote name='ReaperZER0']I already have my PS3, and was wondering where to get a HDMI cable in my area for cheap, in case I don't feel like waiting another week for it.[/quote]Good luck with that. I've not seen a B&M store that sells HDMI cables at anywhere near a decent price. The cheapest shipping from Monoprice is quite fast, though. It's USPS Priority and it got from California to the Midwest in two business days.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Good luck with that. I've not seen a B&M store that sells HDMI cables at anywhere near a decent price. The cheapest shipping from Monoprice is quite fast, though. It's USPS Priority and it got from California to the Midwest in two business days.[/quote]

Oh well, I guess I'll get it later then, from what I've gathered it doesn't seem to be absolutely necessary. Thanks though.

[quote name='chodax']That stinks, I should upgrade the HD sooner I guess than later when I have tons of shared games[/quote]Actually, the backup feature also copies your games and demos.

I've used it, I was happy not to download everything again.

[quote name='sparklecopy']I've got underscan on my ps2 and ps1 games on component cable running at 1080p. Is this normal? How can I adjust to fill the screen?[/quote] That is normal, most older games have underscan. Only way to cut it off is to hit the zoom button on your TV.

[quote name='ReaperZER0']I already have my PS3, and was wondering where to get a HDMI cable in my area for cheap, in case I don't feel like waiting another week for it.[/quote]Only store I know with a decent price is a Frys where you can get one for about $20.

[quote name='ReaperZER0']I already have my PS3, and was wondering where to get a HDMI cable in my area for cheap, in case I don't feel like waiting another week for it.[/QUOTE]

If you buy it from one of the retailers, be sure to check the home theater section as well. They have some that are a little more reasonably priced. I saw two at BB when I went in the VG section for 100 and 70 for 6 ft, but for 70 in the home theater section was 10 ft.

But if Monoprice is good. The couple of orders I've placed with them have all come in 2 business days, which isn't bad at all. They usually ship out the same day if you order them early enough.

Are all the PS1 classics available from the PSN, playable on the PS3, or are they only playable on the PSP? If I download jumping flash (for example), can I play that on my PS3 only?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Are all the PS1 classics available from the PSN, playable on the PS3, or are they only playable on the PSP? If I download jumping flash (for example), can I play that on my PS3 only?[/QUOTE]

you can play it on both PS3 and PSP. As long as you download it, you can have it on both systems if you like. You can even transfer saves between systems if you want to play on your psp then continue at home and vice versa.

I've got handshake flickering issues on my component cable when I play ps2 games. How can I fix this? using 1.82 already on a 1080p lcd.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']you can play it on both PS3 and PSP. As long as you download it, you can have it on both systems if you like. You can even transfer saves between systems if you want to play on your psp then continue at home and vice versa.[/quote]

So they are exact copies of the PS1 games then? Know any place where I can read reviews of these ports, or should I just read the reviews of the PS1 versions from IGN?

so i havent messed with the ps3 in some time... I could of sworn that i could put mpeg files on a dvd or cd and the ps3 would read it..

ive burned various discs and the ps3 can not browse the contents of any of the discs... is there a special way the cd/dvd needs to be burned?

[quote name='dallow']Actually, the backup feature also copies your games and demos.

I've used it, I was happy not to download everything again.[/quote]

sweet....:applause: i'll be upgrading the HDD sooner than i thought then

[quote name='guyver2077']so i havent messed with the ps3 in some time... I could of sworn that i could put mpeg files on a dvd or cd and the ps3 would read it..

ive burned various discs and the ps3 can not browse the contents of any of the discs... is there a special way the cd/dvd needs to be burned?[/quote]

The Disc doesn't show up at all on any of the tabs or it doesn't see any files once you try to open the disc?

[quote name='NamPaehc']The Disc doesn't show up at all on any of the tabs or it doesn't see any files once you try to open the disc?[/quote]

it shows up as a data disc i think.. but when i go into it it says no data

[quote name='guyver2077']it shows up as a data disc i think.. but when i go into it it says no data[/QUOTE]

I get the same thing when I try to view pictures or video on a thumb drive. Have no idea why it says there isn't any data.

Just watched RE: Apocalypse, and played a bit of Resistance, and was not impressed with the picture quality, I assume the cable is to blame, so I ordered quickly. Thanks.

[quote name='ReaperZER0']Just watched RE: Apocalypse, and played a bit of Resistance, and was not impressed with the picture quality, I assume the cable is to blame, so I ordered quickly. Thanks.[/quote]

I just got my monoprice HDMI cable in today and it is pure quality. I'm now watching everything movie wise in 1080p on my projector. NG: Sigma looks amazing.

OK so I just need the one HDMI cable? I have the audio coming out from my TV to my Bose 321 system, is it going to effect my sound quality at all? It sounded pretty good to me earlier.

Okay I have an older CRT HDVT. I was having some strange problems while hooking up my PS3 yesterday, just got it from amazon. When I set it to 1080i and I tried playing Gran Turismo HD Concept and any PS2 game I would get a double image. The image would display twice on the screen one on top of the other shadowed.

So then I changed the setting to 720P tested Gran Turismo HD Concept and a PS2 game and everything seemed fine.

Then I switched the resolution back to 1080i and tested Gran Turismo HD Concept and it worked fine. I put in the same PS2 game and I got the dual image shadow problem again. So I took it out and tried Gran Turismo HD Concept and it had the problem now when it did not two minutes ago.

My main question is this an issue with my TV? I am using Monster Component cables from my PS2. Any help would be appreciated. I also tested multiple PS2 games and had the same problem.

I have looked all over and can't find anything on this shadowing.

Thanks

will demos continue to download in the background when playing ps/2/3 games?

why won't it take my credit card information? where can i buy pre paid ones?

Is there any way to run some sort of consistency check on the PS3 HD? (like chkdsk in Windows) I am a moron and accidentally flipped the power switch on the surge protector trying to plug something else in and killed the PS3's power while it was on and Folding. I seem to have lost the work unit (ARGH! It was less than 2 minutes from finishing!) but would like to do some sort of disk scan (Without taking it out of the PS3 if possible)...

[quote name='The Mana Knight']If MKII and other Midway games were to have voicechat, its development costs would greatly increase (causing the game to be much more than it is now).[/quote]

..no it wouldn't. they could make it a universal thing kinda like how Microsoft does.. then it wouldn't cost the developers a penny.

will demos continue to download in the background when playing ps/2/3 games?

PS2 games no.. PS3 games yes as long as you aren't online.

there aren't pre-paid point cards yet.

If you have a sata connector on your PC, you can just plug it in there.

Demos will continue to download while playing demos, PS1, PS2, and offline PS3 games.

Sony has announced retail purchasable Playstation Network Cards, but so far they haven't been released outside of Japan, and even in Japan it's tickets you buy at kiosks in stores or even at ATMs.

I suspect we'll see the cards introduced around the time Home is released.

bread's done
Back